Biggest step back for a sequel?

Jake-In-The-Box

So I recently started Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One and was fairly disappointed.

It's not that it's a bad game or anything just that it's not as good as A Crack In Time or Tools Of Destruction.

It honestly feels like a step back from a gameplay standpoint.

Anyone have some good examples of this happening in other franchises?

For me it was Jak X Combat Racing, I didn't mind having racing in there as minigame and the occasional mission, but I never really liked racing games that much and it felt like a slap in the face when I was expecting some cool Light/Dark Eco powers and new epic boss fights but was only delivered a washed up has been that you already had beaten before and wasn't really much of a boss. (Those who played it will know what I'm talking about).

Double Dragon III, Mega Man 4, Trials Fusion, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Gears of War Judgment, Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil 5. Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, Tomb Raider Underworld, Arkham City and XCOM: Terror from the Deep were all a step back from their predecessors in my opinion.

• Like 1

Ninja Gaiden 3, Dead or Alive 4, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Tekken Revolution, Soul Calibur Lost Swords, Resident Evil 5, Bioshock 2, Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, Devil May Cry 2, every Sonic game from Sonic Heroes to Sonic Unleashed, Mega Man X7, Metroid Other M, Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Re:Coded, Parasite Eve 2, Naruto The Broken Bond.

It happens a lot.

For me it was Jak X Combat Racing, I didn't mind having racing in there as minigame and the occasional mission, but I never really liked racing games that much and it felt like a slap in the face when I was expecting some cool Light/Dark Eco powers and new epic boss fights but was only delivered a washed up has been that you already had beaten before and wasn't really much of a boss. (Those who played it will know what I'm talking about).

heisrightyouknow_zps4a47e2f7.png

If it counts, ARKEDO SERIES 02 - SWAP! was a pretty bad game (compared to 01, at least)

inFAMOUS: Second Son.... I'm just not enjoying it as much as 2. I loved 2.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. Ok, so Half Blood Prince wasn't a stunning game. It wasn't as good as the first 3. But it had charm, and while it won't win any awards, I loved playing it. Deathly Hallows Part 1... HP is not a TPS. Just... Just no. It isn't.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I loved Sands of Time. The music that suited the setting, the puzzles, the climbing... Everything pretty much. Then Warrior Within comes along with loud, metal(?) music, a massive emphasis on combat, and the story just doesn't seem as good as Sands of Time. A huge step backwards imo.

Tomb Raider. The Tomb Raider Trilogy games are among my favorite games. Ever. Then Tomb Raider comes along and it's suddenly a TPS - not a puzzle platformer. It was still an amazing game, but it was not Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider 2. So recently, I bought the first 5 TR games. I loved the first game the whole way through (despite its lackluster saving system) for the platforming and the puzzles. Tomb Raider 2 has a huge emphasis on combat, and I'm just not enjoying it as much.

GTA IV

To go from the giddy heights of San Andreas with 3 cities, an awesome sprawling story full of fun, in a world teeming with life to a single city, with all the fun removed and a story full of nonsense forgettable characters and to have the controls for driving take such a step backwards was very jarring indeed.

Thank goodness for Saints Row the 3rd - the true sequal to San Andreas and Vice City.

• Like 1