Next God of War confirmed.

xZoneHunter

I like Kratos, but after the ending of God of War 3... I hope they move to another mythology like vikings or something... or maybe a Remake from the first two games, that would be awesome.

Here how I felt about God of War games

God of War - My Zeus thats an awesome hack'n slash game :D
God of War II - Mother of Zeus I love my PS2
God of War III - Nice :D

God of War Chains of Olympus - Oh, Caliope *_*, nice background story and Persephone *_*

God of War Ghost of Sparta - hmm more background story, the final battle was badass... Morpheus is not that badass thought

God of War Ascension - Why? =__=

Edited by rafael_martines

It's ironic that the God of War series has had that joke Cow Costume all this time - since the publishers are determined to milk that cash cow until it's tits fall right off.

Santa Monica are a real-deal studio, they should be used to create new IP not to milk old, tired franchises as they shuffle off into obscurity.

I say this as a person who once cared about GoW, but these games are heavily story based. The story is more than over. Every rehash diminishes the story of the originals just a little more

:huh:

Milking is a term used for franchises like COD, Assassin's creed which are hardly any different from the last with little-to-no innovation

I don't see a franchise as God of War whose sequels take at least 3 years to release as being "milked"

That's like saying Naughty Dog is milking Uncharted or Rocksteady is milking Batman Arkham

No sense in that & last but not least, no offense :)

I believe that anything happens to Kratos' story, GOW will be screwed. I'd like to play a new GOW, but i don't like it to be neither sequel nor prequel. Also, if the character changes, the whole GOW series will be screwed as well. This announcement sounds really strange.

Totally agree! The story is over, period. Anything they add now will be just weird. Why is santa monica studies not focusing on a new brand instead of telling the story of kratos again? I really liked the first 3 parts and I was satisfied with the ending. I just can't imagine a good 4th part. No matter how they tell it, I will always have the feeling that they just made it to make more money

• 2 weeks later...

Have yet to pick up Ascension, but have platinumed the rest.  GoW is an amazing series and the storylines are always really enjoyable.   I do hope they do something different to keep it fresh, but nothing crazy like not having Kratos or anything.  A change of setting maybe would be nice.  Or even just have another religions' gods from an alternate universe come in and try to take over the destruction left after 3 lol.  

• 1 month later...

wait so there is another new god of war coming out besides ascension? anybody know when or what its called?

Hey, its God of War IV. Its a Sequel but still a minor reboot of the series. Its in super early development and we don't know much more than that.

I belive we're getting a new mythology for this game, and it will continue Kratos story. If there is a Playstation Experience this year, you won't get a trailer at E3 (Maybe a tease) However if there isn't a PSX2.0 you will probably get a trailer / Bigger tease at E3. :)

You already got a little tease in the God of War 3 Remaster Trailer a while back, 4 Omegas, hinting God of War 4 :)

It will be interesting to see how they make Kratos lose his powers in this one. Since you pretty much have to knock him down a few pegs before you can start the story. matbe we will go into Norse mythology now!! oooo how about Egyptian Mythology!! I want to beat Ra!

Edited by allenbird

It will be interesting to see how they make Kratos lose his powers in this one. Since you pretty much have to knock him down a few pegs before you can start the story. matbe we will go into Norse mythology now!! oooo how about Egyptian Mythology!! I want to beat Ra!

But he already has. He SPOILERS sticks the sword of Olympus into himself in the end of GoW3. This is a sequel and a minor reboot, so my theory is that Athena starts with banishing Kratos from Greek Mythology and sends him to another world, Egyptian Mythology or something. When he 'killed' himself, he lost his powers! :)

• 2 months later...

There is gow ascension, gow, gow2, gow3, gow ghost of sparta, and gow chains of olympus

The correct order would be Ascension, Chains of Olympus, God of War, Ghost of Sparta, God of War 2, and God of War 3.

Honestly though, I think a game that covered his beginning as the the Great Spartan General that decided to make that deal with Ares in the first place would be a nice feather in this story. And more backstory for the game makes it that much more enjoyable and allows for easier understanding of the protagonist's motives in defying the gods later in the series

Would be nice to have him killing wife and daughter while be tricked by the gods.

Meh, Kratos would have to be nerfed for that kind of story to happen. I mean if he's not a God (or has a God's help), he shouldn't be as strong as Ascension's Kratos. I would like the story to move on (beyond GoW3), or maybe find another good point between former entries. But Kratos without his blades, isn't Kratos.

• 2 months later...

9 months since the tweet and not even a reference since.

Game companies' greed is getting a bit ridiculous when it's been years since the last game, and years until the new game, but they still release sad little crumbs in desperation to say "don't forget we exist, hype hype hype definitely maybe".

Reminds me of politicians that start campaigning only 1 year after being elected, but still 3 years before the next election. Absolutely pathetic, imo. What makes it even more pathetic is the fact that companies spend tens of millions on strategic planning for effective marketing and these desperate tweets are actually part of the strategy.

I expect more from a gaming icon like God of War.

Edited by effdeegee

Game companies' greed is getting a bit ridiculous when it's been years since the last game, and years until the new game, but they still release sad little crumbs in desperation to say "don't forget we exist, hype hype hype definitely maybe".

Reminds me of politicians that start campaigning only 1 year after being elected, but still 3 years before the next election. Absolutely pathetic, imo. What makes it even more pathetic is the fact that companies spend tens of millions on strategic planning for effective marketing and these desperate tweets are actually part of the strategy.

I'll be very surprised if the new GoW isn't announced at PSX, or at any of the events before that (but let's be honest, GoW will be at PSX if it wasn't at E3 and is getting announced this year. Doesn't really fit at the other events.)

It's not bad at all, it's actually pretty good. Nothing will surpass the first one in my opinion, but Ascension is still pretty good.

I see, thank you, it's just I've read lots of bad comments about it and, although I've already got the game, it's kinda dissapointing when many people complain about it, well, I will start to play it soon tho

Edited by cadaver_no_life
  • Like 1

I'll be very surprised if the new GoW isn't announced at PSX, or at any of the events before that (but let's be honest, GoW will be at PSX if it wasn't at E3 and is getting announced this year. Doesn't really fit at the other events.)

Well to answer the first post. God of War got leaked by Cory Barlog, and it was in very early production, in fact so early they hadn't started on it almost.

At the PSX they were going to show their new IP originally, but it got cancelled because it just didn't work. You can't expect them to show something yet.

And madbuk, it will be shown at PSX this year if Santa Monica keeps their promise. They said last year 'We'll be back next year and play a major part in the PSX' wich was stated from studio lead.

I've written this over several theories and such over the forum and Im quite confident we'll get a CG trailer this PSX and an gameplay trailer at E3 next year with the release date. Its quite likely.

Also before anyone says so, ITS A SEQUEL, I've covered this too so don't be worried about it. I can explain it if you guys would like it.

Hopefully it's better than Ascension was.

Well, Cory Barlog (wich made GoW2) is back and directing the game, they have their core team working hard on it, its a direct sequel, they're hinting at an new mythology.

I can't see it go wrong in a lot of ways actually. They had 512 MB to work with on PS3 and they made that Poseidon boss battle, they have 8 GB now so Im quite curious to see what one of the best studios in the industry can do with the power of PS4.

I for one can't be more excited, and if you habe questions about it just ask me because I have theories and all :P

Santa Monica Studios should focus on a new game instead of doing gow over and over again. I am starting to get sick of this mentality that studios always milk certain series. And what is going to happen in a sequel anyway? There is no way that they can connect a 4th part to the previous ones in a good and comprehensible way

Santa Monica Studios should focus on a new game instead of doing gow over and over again. I am starting to get sick of this mentality that studios always milk certain series. And what is going to happen in a sequel anyway? There is no way that they can connect a 4th part to the previous ones in a good and comprehensible way

Well they did work on a new IP but it was bad. They had wasted millions of dollars on it too I belive. They needed a game for the PS4 and wabted to continue God of War. They wanted it to be a GOOD sequel, do they fixed Barlog back. And the story can span out in so many ways, the main villain is still left and is preeeetty mad at Kratos for doing what he did. She could easily send him to another mythology with her powers. (Wich is already teased)

And you know.. Egyptic, Norse, endless possibilities, hundreds of gods.. Just saying :D

But I do get what your saying, Im quite biased too :P

A new God of War now, in my own opinion, would be milking the franchise. I just feel like it is totally unnecessary to release another, as it would be hard to fit it into their current story. I like God of War, but as a franchise I don't think it needs to continue.

As much as I like all God of War games (even though I don't like crybaby Kratos from II and III), I think so too. Actually, I think they could have just done the first and be done with it, it was just so perfect and self-contained.