Complaining: When Do We Stop It and Just Enjoy What We Have?

jackmadrox

In the last year or so of my life, I've grown tired of my own bitching. Bitching about how movies suck, what wrestlers WWE is pushing, what video games didn't live up to my expectations, what albums weren't as good as I wanted them to be, and so on.

I still have my preferences of course. In wrestling, I prefer Bray Wyatt over any other wrestler right now. I prefer horror movies over any other type of movies. I prefer chubby girls over skinny ones. I sometimes prefer video games I can just throw on my headphones to, versus ones I have to hear the story line. I remember a time when I used to change my preferences to agree with other people's. I realize now how dumb that was.

I know, I'm getting older, more mature. My birthday is this month. I'll be 29 years old, pushing 30. But That doesn't mean I still don't enjoy the things I love, the games, movies and bands that I'm a fan of. It just means maybe I've gotten old enough to know where I stand, what phases stuck with me and which ones didn't last.

I think I may have answered my own question. But I guess I just want to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

Being happy with what you have means you don't deserve, and will never get, anything better.  If you aren't complaining, the corporations have won.

Signed,

Everyone who ever angrily complained on a gaming forum

I agree with this.  Complaining isn't exactly a good thing, but it can help game developers to see how badly a game did and maybe change things next time for the better.

Although there's some things complaining doesn't help with, like complaining about shit you have to deal with from someone.. complaining about the job you are in.. complaining about the area you live in, the only person who can change any of this is yourself and complaining doesn't usually help the problem but makes things worst.

When companies indulge in anti-consumer practises, they should be held accountable for their actions. For example: If they release a product that isn't as advertised, that's unfinished, or is just plain broken, then consumers have every right to complain. They should do whatever it takes to not only earn back the trust of their consumers, as we're the ones that keep them in business. Mistreating your consumers is a sure fire way to earn a bad reputation not only as a company, but for the quality of your products, leading to a worsening relationship with your consumers, and poorer sales.

If we don't hold companies to higher and higher standards and demand the same of their products, then we'll never see an increase in quality.

That being said, people should be constructive when they provide criticism for a company's actions or products. Simply saying "This ___ sucks." or "Company X is stupid, and awful, and everyone should be fired" does nothing but make you look like a child, nor does it offer any insight as to how to fix the issues you have.

Complaining about what someone has done might not necessarily solve the problem, but it certainly does help to talk about it with someone, as they can provide comfort, suggest ways to deal with it if the situation indeed has a solution, and just be there when you need someone to listen.

It's entirely possible to be happy with what you have, but when someone has done something to essentially cheat you out of what you should have, it's understandable to be upset over it.

The level of importance something has to one individual might not match that of another, and so people should keep this in mind when they see someone getting upset over something they themselves might not care about, or might not be quite as bothered by.

Edited by Fluttershy
  • Like 1

I was actually being a bit facetious with my first post.  I think it's a little unhealthy to derive your happiness (and adversely, your disdain) from a product being made and sold for no other reason then either one of money or creative expression.  For lack of a better phrase... "there are more important things in life".

Not that there's anything wrong with constructive feedback, but very little of the feedback floating around the internet is constructive (ie. spamming "DON'T BUY THIS" because of a personal issue you have with something in a place where the developer may not even see it, making multiple accounts to bomb a reviewing site with 1/10 ratings because you don't like the game's ending, etc).  Too often these days, people view a game that doesn't work quite right, or is not what they expected, as a personal insult.  Creative decisions/differences, and limited budgets be damned!  Waging "war" on a publisher/developer, taking WAY too much of a personal investment and stake in seeing someone or something fail that should've begun and ended with "I guess this isn't for me" or "maybe it isn't the end of the world" and moving on.  Video games are supposed to be about fun at the end of the day.  If you aren't having fun with one, a. it doesn't mean no one is, and b. there are plenty of other fish/games in the sea.

EDIT: I guess the site has just given up formatting my posts correctly.  Touche PSNP.

Edited by Dreakon13

Like you said, for most people the problem is in the expectations you have. If someone gives you something that is truly terrible or something bad happens to you feel free to complain. However if you overhyped something in your own mind, it's good, but doesn't live up to your expectations, that's your own fault.

To use a quote from one of my favorite books:

"Give me an audience who have come to be entertained, but expect nothing special. To them I will be a god." - Wit, Words of Radiance.

• Like 1

There is a very fine line between complaining and over-complaining. More importantly, the subject matter of what you are complaining and to whom makes a world of a difference.

For example, complain about how AC1 has no trophies, OK, does it make a difference? No, but you are entitled to complain. Complaining about how your boss is a prick, not so much... Don't wanna here about it.

Some complaints should be voiced while others should stay in your head.

Well, we are living in the age of entitlement. A lot of people these days expect everything to be given to them simply by virtue of them being here and if it's not exactly what they wanted they get their little feelers hurt. Responsible contributing individuals who work hard for what they have tend to be the happiest as far as I've experienced, being able to accept this imperfect world for what it is and enjoy what you can while your here.

Complaining can be healthy when the intent is to solve a problem, to make a difference, to have a positive outcome. This is called instrumental complaining.

Complaining can be unhealthy when the intent is to make yourself feel better rather than to solve a problem. This is called expressive complaining.

I don't complain when I have no control over the situation or the outcome, so there's no point wasting time and energy on it. They made their own bed, let them lie in it...

I do complain when I can exert influence for the betterment of myself and the other party. This is typically in the form of criticism, which by definition means to evaluate both the good and bad, rather than tossing out blanket "You suck!" statements.

When I'm in a situation where I can't directly influence the outcome, such as buying a game, I don't complain when my expectations aren't met because it's own my fault for setting them too high. Instead, I care about value and set my expectations accordingly. 

If I know Product X isn't going to meet my expectations for the price they're asking, I don't buy it. I simply wait until it hits the bargain bin where the value proposition is higher and my expectations are lower, so I have less of a reason to complain.

Value it less and there's less to piss and moan about - I'm more likely to be happy when expectations are exceeded and less likely to be unhappy when expectations aren't met.

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

If Music Group A was once something you could relate to, but now they seemingly have lost their way and let all the fame go to their head, does that give us the right to complain about it? I mean, if you don't like the music they make anymore, don't listen to it, simple as that, keep the albums you do like, discard the new stuff.

Example, I have heard Danzig is a jerk in real life. Should that dictate whether I buy/listen to his music?

Loving stuff is usually my default approach. I tend to avoid judging something before fully understanding how it is or works, that way I avoid both sounding like an idiot and excessive complaining. Looking at things from a perspective always helps, but even then, some things are totally worth complaining about because something can actually come out of doing so. So bitching is fine, as long as it is used in a meaningful way. xD

I think complaining is needed. The second people become complacent, and stop voicing their concerns, is the second that something goes downhill. Why should a company change or progress, when no one has any complaints? And at that point, why not just continue to lower quality, in order to make more money? No one is complaining, so there's nothing wrong, right?

Or, let's use your example about musicians. If everyone just stops listening to an artist, and no one says why they're not listening anymore, the artist will never improve, or return to the way they were. They don't know what they're doing wrong, and therefore, don't know what to fix. Same goes for any kind of artist or company. If no one is voicing their concerns, then how could they know how to improve?

One more example. Let's use this same principal, but in my field, medicine. I'm a phlebotomist, so let's say I'm drawing your blood, and I mess it up and graze a tendon to get to a vein. Your arm is now hurting, a lot, but I'm getting blood, so I think everything is normal. If you don't say anything, and just ignore it, you're going to be in unneeded pain, and could end up with major damage to your arm. However, if you jump, and say that it really hurts, I'm going to immediately pull the needle out, and put pressure on the wound. So that there's a low chance of any further complications.

I did something wrong without realizing it, you told me, and I was able to fix it. I'll also know to not draw from a vein near a tendon next time.

Feedback is important, especially negative feedback. No one can improve or fix anything without knowing what's wrong in the first place. I can't stress this enough.

However, there are many people that complain without any real rhyme or reason. Those people are the ones that should stop complaining, because without any reasoning, complaining is pointless. But if people aren't happy with something, they should absolutely complain, and say exactly why they aren't happy. So that perhaps the company/musician/whatever will listen and take steps to improve their company/music/whatever, or fix whatever mistake was made.

I feel that if a people is complaining for a legit reason, it should be allowed. You wouldn't wantserrors to be made if a developer or the person can sort the problem? The reason why people look like idiots when complaining is because they rarely give a logical answer for they complaint. The PSN Plus thread is a good example, we get 6 different games a month and just because someone doesn't like them, they will complain about them. Now that isn't the problem but not giving a good reason for it is. 

I hope in the future that more people re vocal in life and complain if someone is doing wrong. We can only give so many free pass before we become part of the problem. 

Edited by Bear

Im 24 and Im happy about what I have since years. ... What do I get for complaining anyway? Its just a waste of time. :)

On the other side, there are always people who are trying to force me going aggressiv, but I never do, because... why? Do people think they get a special prize when they are the most hating in the group? Why everyone is trying to make a competition out of everything? I mean, look at the people who dont like trophies, they think its just for the ePenis. I mean, I can just speak for myself, but I dont care if other have a "longer" dick.

Maybe you noticed discussion with me the last days. One guy says Im way to sarcastic, the other one says Im passive-aggressive ... etc ... blah blah... Dont get why people are looking for problems everywhere or why they are creating problems when they havnt found any.

Life could be way more easier for everyone when people would stop trying to force other in an enemy-role and attack them because their own problems.

And I said 10 times " Everyone is my Buddyyy ^_^ "... and I will keep this stance...

This is like back then in Age of Empires, when you set an AI to Ally and the AI doenst care and still attacks you because the AI just accepts you as an Ally when they want, not when you want. ^_^

So... let people complain like they please. We should not care.

Maybe Im just like this, because Im living in a country where complainig is part of the culture and I dont accept the culture of my country... seriously, they are crying they whole day about everything here. Oo

For what? They are just ruining their own day and the day from other! I mean, this people wake up and start complaining about foreigners, liberalism and stuff ... Why people want an unhappy life like this? Why are people complaining? Dont get it. Sorry :D

But if they want to do it, they should continue. Who am I that I can forbid it anyway? :)

But I really wish they wont affect me. I mean, I have no problems with muslims or that the vita has no AAA-games. ^_^

The vast vast majority of the world lives on less than a dollar a day. Most don't have adequate food and clean water, lots are dieing of curable diseases or preventable causes, millions live under the yoke of brutal dictatorships, and thousands of children die before their parents by the day.

People on this forum, people with the disposable income and time to indulge in videogames as a hobby, are already in the 1% most privileged on this planet. That 1%, I'm sure, account for about 90% of the complaints in this world.

When do we stop complaining?

When there is something that's actually worth complaining about, I assume.

• Like 3

It is basically Human Nature to be bitchy since most of us are on the pursuit of happiness and even when we are comfortable and enjoy what we have, it is never enough for we always want to achieve a dream we have and once we obtain it, then we start thinking we can do better and aim higher soon after. That is one of the beauty and ugliness of Humanity.