Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

1 hour ago, victorrfuego said:

I think multiplayer/online trophies are fun and rewarding, and I don’t find them annoying to go for 😏

While I do agree with this sentiment, as I had a lot of fun with some online games before (Knockout city, Ghost of Tsushima Legends, etc), I think the major issue is when these games get shutdown or simply die for lack of players, in which case they become boring and not fun anymore, forcing you to boost them and losing all the fun factor with it.

As for my unpopular opinions, here are the ones that often caused me trouble just mentioning them:

• Final Fantasy has become an average series.
    I can basically explain this opinion with one line I read online: "They used to be the trend setters, now they're the trend chasers"

• Gameplay is just as important as story, if not more.
    I think both are just as important, but gameplay alone can often save a game, whereas a story is often highly subjective. Apparently, this is unpopular enough to get into me into trouble. Go figure, am I right?
Edited by Darghel
Unsure if one opinion was tied to videogames enough, so I removed it
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Letenko said:

I find this interesting given how much I saw people online say the games are very complicated and at times nonsensical. Do you have a personal recommended order for the ones available on PS3/4?

The order listed in the modern collections is more or less perfect. The collections themselves have wacky numbers but still go in numerical order (1.5, then 2.5, then 2.8). That covers everything besides KH3 and finally, the Melody of Memory rhythm game.

Ignore this post for the purpose of the topic and the next person follow up from whoever is previous to me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, veryrareoriginal said:

I absolutely despise cutscenes in games. No matter the game, i do not watch them. I skip them all the time.

If i wanted to watch a collection of cutscenes i'd watch a movie

I disagree, they are something needed to explain many things on videogames, but funny how they have evolved, for example, metal gear games, first psx game had cut scenes and the story is explained via codec, and if you want to know more of the story you need to do the codec calls, but gameplay time was balanced, then mg2 and there was a ton of cutscenes, few gameplay compared to the cinemas, mgs3 did a great job of making again good balance but giving priority to codec calls and giving great cinemas and gameplay time, then mgs4 came and it was cinemas all over the place, and then mgsV came and it was weird for many that the story telling is with collectibles and reading many lines of text

That being said, its how you make the cinemas, and how you make them fun

UO: Tetris should be more loved as a whole 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

UO: Tetris should be more loved as a whole 

Agree! Tetris Effect is one of the more beautiful games I’ve ever experienced and it is a tribute to all of the games that arrived before it did. I’m hoping to tackle it possibly next year! Wish me luck!

(Unpopular Opinion: Intentionally going for the fastest completion of a game during your first try [without playing it at least once on an alt or something] earns you some praise on the leaderboards but robs you of enjoyment.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

Agree! Tetris Effect is one of the more beautiful games I’ve ever experienced and it is a tribute to all of the games that arrived before it did. I’m hoping to tackle it possibly next year! Wish me luck!

(Unpopular Opinion: Intentionally going for the fastest completion of a game during your first try [without playing it at least once on an alt or something] earns you some praise on the leaderboards but robs you of enjoyment.)

Agree, I understand going for your first completion un on your main and doing a fast run on an alt or vice versa. Going for it on your for a fast completion on your first ever run will usually ruín the whole experience of the game since you have to skip cutscenes and a lot of the side stuff/world building.

UO: Completing a game that only has a 100% without a platinum is just as rewarding as gettig a platinum. Especially these days when the number of platinums doesn't mean much.... thanks shovelware.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, samunrizthym said:

Agree twice i had a good moment on cyberpunk and when the dlc will be in sale i ll jump in it again

unpopular opinion; Capcom became a shitty company when usa division takes control of the japanese one

Yes and no, they got a low profile with fans when they did many questionable mistakes in a row like the "inside the disc dlc" or just slapping mega man in the face for many years, literally saying many things around SF 4 that didnt go well,  killing the franchise with the cellphone sequel of puzzle fighter being one of the worst games i have ever played, but this was going to happen sooner or later because Capcom was very disconnected with facts as company, i consider marvel vs capcom infinite the magnum opus of bad choices because the recycle they did as designers, and the way they threw to trash an amazing license like marvel, which at that point was printing a crapton of cash because of the MCU, and just doing a meh job in general, probably will take many years of reparing, and capcom saying "hey we screwed up, can you forgive us?"

But even when many of the choices look like are totally from a NA standard, i consider it goes deeper as brand, you could even say it goes back when they looked at the numbers the RE movie films were making and saying "hey, lets go with a more action focus in general because that sells".

UO: If Quake 3 arena remake arrives (which i hope), it may be amazing and i do hope its amazing, but it will not revive the "shooter arena" genre since sadly its long gone because games like fortnite or CoD are the norm today of what mainstream popular shooting games are

Agree - I love Quake and I hope we see more of the franchise going forward.

UO - I hate, and I mean hate, Nier Automata and never understood the hype around it, story was meh to me as I failed to sympathize with edgy ass-cheeks sex doll, the game performance was also a nightmare, the gameplay was the the only saving grace but I also didn't enjoy all that much. 

• Like 1

Disagreed on a molecular level. Nier Automata is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Definitely my favorite PS4 game, and that's saying something. It had a very unique vibe that can't be replicated, the story was amazing, the visuals were on point, and the music was also phenomenal. Basically a perfect game imo. 

UO: Bethesda games really were never that good. Buggy, ugly messes that rely on modders to fix their games. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

UO: Bethesda games really were never that good. Buggy, ugly messes that rely on modders to fix their games. 

Disagree. While Bethesda games have always been buggy messes, the writing, gameplay (when it works) and especially the worldbuilding have always made up for that. The odd bug is usually just a minor nuisance,  much like a misplaced comma in a Tolstoi novel  (though I will not compare any Bethesda game with War and Peace, but I think you get the analogy).

UO: "Games" is a terrible word for games. Arguably, not even all interactive media are the same thing and belong in just one category, but at the very least, things like The Last of Us, Doki Doki, and Monopoly do not belong under the same umbrella.

• Like 1

agreed, i always use videogames on any search or when i explain something because yeah, i know there are related brands and franchises like warhammer or baldurs gate, but it would be nice to make a more bigger gap or a way to notice this difference.

UO: even with prime capcom like the present one, and a new SNK, there will never be a new capcom vs snk game

Didn't play Capcom vs SNK and unfortunately don't know anything about this series.

Unpopular Opinion: SEKIRO and soulslike games are extremely overrated. You just fight against enemies who know which button you have already pressed. There is no satisfaction, only relief!

Hard agree here. Outside of difficulty, never got the appeal of Soulsborne.

UO: Final Fantasy 13 > anything Final Fantasy 7 related. While FF7 is good, it's not God's gift to the series or gaming at large (legacy is still deserved.) FF7R does have arguably the best combat in the series, lost interest in the story. Feel like FF13 was overall the better experience despite some flaws (mainly leader KO = game over) 

On 10/22/2023 at 11:46 PM, FreneticWave said:

Don't know if the problem is with me, but I dislike most of the PlayStation Studios games.

Partially disagree: I have enjoyed every single one I've played. I do however think that a vast majority of them are just some sort of a variation of a 3rd person open world action game. It would be nice to add more variety to the genre selections. I'd recommend checking out some of the Playstation Talents Program games, they offer some unique, mostly exclusive, experiences.

UO: Trophy wise, the vast majority of games that are above 4% PSNP rarity are quite easy and hassle free to complete. I'd go even as far as to say anything above 2% is doable by most people, but some niche games or PS+ titles can be an exception so I'll settle at 4%.

4 hours ago, Letenko said:

Partially disagree: I have enjoyed every single one I've played. I do however think that a vast majority of them are just some sort of a variation of a 3rd person open world action game. It would be nice to add more variety to the genre selections. I'd recommend checking out some of the Playstation Talents Program games, they offer some unique, mostly exclusive, experiences.

UO: Trophy wise, the vast majority of games that are above 4% PSNP rarity are quite easy and hassle free to complete. I'd go even as far as to say anything above 2% is doable by most people, but some niche games or PS+ titles can be an exception so I'll settle at 4%.

For purpose of keeping the topic alive, ill answer this by saying many are doable, but some have some minor things like maybe a monster grinding of something, or a very low knowledge from people of a game in general and no guides, that makes some to say "thanks but no thanks".

UO: Even if rockstar brings all its A game to GTA 6, or changes some stuff because of the leaks , there is so much hype for the next game its impossible to satisfy everyone because its been ten years and everyone in recent time have played, or know something about the GTA franchise, i hope they do a superb job, but yeah, i bet there will be complains about something

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Countrydude1989 said:

[...]

My UO...

Play What you want, and how you want. The only persons whos opinion matters on the subject is YOURS, and yours alone. Take a long ride through a 100 hour story campaign? thats your perogative. Like playing for ezpz plats? go for it my guy. Don't let anyone elses own bias cloud what you enjoy.

Strongly disagree: all my life I have relied on the trustworthiness of the help the Internet experts you can find on forums and social media provide, especially coming from the always positive and all-inclusive gaming community. I mean, seriously, who am I to know what I like, right?

UO: TLOU2 is a technical mess, almost as unwatchable as a Caribbean sunset and as badly made as a Ghibli film. Gameplay is horrendous, most notably because there are not enough dogs to kill and you can’t even skin them afterwards (or any of your other kills, for that matter).

On 10/18/2023 at 1:23 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Unpopular Opinion:

The Ubisoft open-world formula is not an inherently bad thing... it's only bad when the games it's applied to are - and they probably would be, even without it.

Agreed. I'd go as far as to say Ubisoft is one of those devs that you don't realise how good they are at the craft until another developer tries to do what they do and does it badly. 

On 11/7/2023 at 1:26 AM, KennethMcCormick said:

Strongly disagree: all my life I have relied on the trustworthiness of the help the Internet experts you can find on forums and social media provide, especially coming from the always positive and all-inclusive gaming community. I mean, seriously, who am I to know what I like, right?

UO: TLOU2 is a technical mess, almost as unwatchable as a Caribbean sunset and as badly made as a Ghibli film. Gameplay is horrendous, most notably because there are not enough dogs to kill and you can’t even skin them afterwards (or any of your other kills, for that matter).

To keep the thread alive,  i havent played last of us 2, so i cant tell.

Unpopular opinion: There should be a the sims 1 remake with cartoony graphics but with the elements of the first game, because even when the new games arent bad, its just sometimes overwhelming how much content and things can be for newcomers

8 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Unpopular opinion: There should be a the sims 1 remake with cartoony graphics but with the elements of the first game, because even when the new games arent bad, its just sometimes overwhelming how much content and things can be for newcomers

Disagree. A simple The Sims, sure. Cartoony graphics is what I'm against. Shouldn't be realistic either. Make it pixelated!

Unpopular opinion: Nintendo's Sakurai is eons better at game directing than both Myiazaki and Kojima combined.

• Like 2