Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

Agree trophy hunting used to be a niche thing and I guess it still is, but now people have taken it too far with easy platinums. I remember back in the day when Hannah Montana and Terminator Salvation were considered shovelware but you still had to play a whole 8 hour game. 

UO: I don't think the Suicide Squad game looks that bad even with the live service elements. I really liked Marvel's Avengers and I don't think it's the live service that is the problem: it's everyone whining about it that is. I am so glad I don't pay much attention to reviews. 

26 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

UO: Marvel's Avengers is a more consistently enjoyable game than Guardians of the Galaxy with far better combat and ability customisation. The latter feels like it copies so many elements from other games and only does them sort of OK, and it's about 5 chapters too long.

Agree. The Avengers game copped a lot of undeserved hate IMO. I thought it was solid and a fun game and even the "grind" wasn't all that bad.

UO: The Assassin's Creed series sucks. The first game was boring, the second game was worse, and I have no idea how it spawned so many sequels. Combat is awful and bland. You just stand there with a circle of enemies around you waiting to attack one by one. Parkour sucks and is unresponsive and you often jump the wrong direction. The collectibles are horrendous and those damn feathers from AC2 left me traumatised. I was tempted by the setting of Origins but I just can't bring myself to do it.

• Like 1

Disagree. While I'm happy to shit all over the AC franchise these days, it's mostly due to me being sick of their formula. Origins was actually great because it changed things up a little before it became incredibly bloated and boring in Odyssey again. I'm definitely not gonna bother with Valhalla and the series overall had its ups and downs, but most of these games are pretty good for what they are, with the Ezio trilogy and Origins being the standouts. 

UO (I think): every cutscene, dialogue, recurring animation like opening up chests should be skippable in every game. I don't care if it lasts 15 minutes or 3 seconds, if it makes me watch instead of play, I should be able to skip it. Especially with the recurring animations, because they give literally nothing by themselves after the first viewing and add up over time. 

17 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Disagree. While I'm happy to shit all over the AC franchise these days, it's mostly due to me being sick of their formula. Origins was actually great because it changed things up a little before it became incredibly bloated and boring in Odyssey again. I'm definitely not gonna bother with Valhalla and the series overall had its ups and downs, but most of these games are pretty good for what they are, with the Ezio trilogy and Origins being the standouts. 

UO (I think): every cutscene, dialogue, recurring animation like opening up chests should be skippable in every game. I don't care if it lasts 15 minutes or 3 seconds, if it makes me watch instead of play, I should be able to skip it. Especially with the recurring animations, because they give literally nothing by themselves after the first viewing and add up over time. 

Many of those animations back in the day were little loading screens within the game, so good luck with that, but today with how fast new gen consoles are i think that might be a chance for new proyects.

UO: Playstation is Uefa champions league sponsor as many know, but it should also be sponsor of other teams and sports around the world lets remember that iconic dreamcast/arsenal jersey

arsenaldreamcast.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2023 at 4:35 PM, Don_Chipotle said:

Many of those animations back in the day were little loading screens within the game, so good luck with that, but today with how fast new gen consoles are i think that might be a chance for new proyects.

UO: Playstation is Uefa champions league sponsor as many know, but it should also be sponsor of other teams and sports around the world lets remember that iconic dreamcast/arsenal jersey

arsenaldreamcast.JPG

Partially agree, Sony as a whole yes, a specific branch of Sony? No

UO: Some games with 90%+ rarity on PSNP are good games and not shovelware (Save RoomLovechoice etc)

33 minutes ago, serrated-banner9 said:

Partially agree, Sony as a whole yes, a specific branch of Sony? No

UO: Some games with 90%+ rarity on PSNP are good games and not shovelware (Save RoomLovechoice etc)

Agree!

The day Microsoft bought Bethesda will someday be seen as the root of the fall of the gaming industry. 

13 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

The day Microsoft bought Bethesda will someday be seen as the root of the fall of the gaming industry. 

Disagree...

...it's not a good thing by any stretch... but I have faith that no matter how many studios MS (or Embracer, or Tencent, or anyone) gobbles up and destroys/ flattens/ creatively-or-financially bankrupts...

...the human thirst for creativity will always prevail.

The industry will keep going - and for every big conglomerate purchase, there will always be multiple offshoots, as creatives who don't find the freedom they crave in those congealed masses untether themselves, and set up their own small studios, creating the next generation of awesome games, which form the bedrock of the next generation of take-overs.

Just the circle of life.

Unpopular Opinion:

The fetishisation of rarity on this site has warped the general consensus so irreversibly at this point, that it has become almost impossible for many people to gauge how good they think a game is, without that opinion being coloured by how rare the platinum is, or how hard they had work to get it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

The Callisto Protocol wasn't a good game, it was a great game.

Agree. It certainly had its flaws, but no way I believe it is the mess many people make it to be. Very fun game.

36 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The fetishisation of rarity on this site has warped the general consensus so irreversibly at this point, that it has become almost impossible for many people to gauge how good they think a game is, without that opinion being coloured by how rare the platinum is, or how hard they had work to get it.

Since the comment above didn't mention an agree or disagree on this, I'll say: Agree. Sadly it has come to the point that (hardcore) trophy hunters are a different kind of breed than gamers. People should see trophies as the extra addition that adds spice to a game rather than them being the defining factor of a game's overall enjoyment.

Unpopular opinion:

God of War (2018) and Ragnarok, while being good games, are not in any way better than the original trilogy, as it more fun to play Kratos as a god-killing machine, rather than an overprotective father.

Video games peaked after 2006 industry wise, and really excellent games are outliers within the industry, and shouldn't be an expectation. There are a lot of reasons why I feel this way, but the largest contributing factor is how big the industry is now, and how it seeks to cater to the lowest common denominator.

3 minutes ago, ZOLANTON said:

Unpopular opinion:

God of War (2018) and Ragnarok, while being good games, are not in any way better than the original trilogy, as it more fun to play Kratos as a god-killing machine, rather than an overprotective father.

Agreed.

The gameplay came first, with minimal interruptions to it. This new soft-reboot turned a fun action game series into a boring franchise.

4 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

AC Origins has the worst story in the franchise (thus far), the worst exploration because the map is needlessly too big, and the combat (best in the series) is the only thing keeping it together

Disagree, only because the same exact things could be said about Odyssey imo. Haven't played Valhalla yet so can't judge that one.

Unpopular (?) Opinion:

DOOM (2016) is far better than DOOM Eternal in pretty much every way, but especially in the fact it has a real multiplayer mode. Battlemode in Eternal is just not the same. 

• Like 2

- Ghost of Tsushima is very solid, but overrated. The setting is cool but I thought the story was so-so, the open world had Ubisoft levels of side-content bloat, and I did not care for the character models for a near-end gen release (maybe PS5 version is better, I don't know). It's a good 7-8/10 game for me, but Ghost of Tsushima is specifically viewed as a GOTY contender by many media outlets and it absolutely wasn't close to that for me, personally.  

-  Excluding God of War and The Last of Us, Death Stranding is the next best Sony exclusive of the past decade. God of War and TLOU are always lauded; Death Stranding has a "No Man's Sky 1.0" esque reputation of being a mild disappointment, but I thought it was utterly terrific. It's reputation has increased over the years, which is nice to see, but for me it is a special game. Brilliant community, too. 

- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus isn't just overrated, but is a downright bad game. How it got 87% on OpenCritic is beyond me. The New Order was my 2014 GOTY, and The Old Blood was a lot of fun too. Wolfenstein II killed the franchise for me. The game had an awful story, cringey levels of inner monologue which went nowhere in character development, hideous level design that was almost broken, tonally bi-polar, weird difficulty spikes, confused gameplay which had DOOM-like combat without the reward of being balls-to-the-wall, instead encouraging you to cower in a corner, encourages stealth and patience but with poor stealth, and the visual variety of oatmeal. It delivered on absolutely nothing. Just a baffling direction change. 

18 minutes ago, BrickwallBill said:

DOOM (2016) is far better than DOOM Eternal in pretty much every way, but especially in the fact it has a real multiplayer mode. Battlemode in Eternal is just not the same. 

Hard agree. I'm not sure this is super unpopular; DOOM reddit would imply that most prefer 2016 to Eternal. Still, I agree with you.

DOOM was my 2016 GOTY. Eternal has - as the kids would say - "pick me" energy. Instead of trying to incrementally improve what DOOM great, it tried too hard to make everything, bigger, gorier, more violent like a younger sibling on a sugar rush. It just tried to flex the size of its muscles and doesn't feel well thought out. The level designs are way too bloated and aside from a few towards the end of the game are completely non-memorable (I still remember 2016 really well 7 years on).  The pacing is weak. The story isn't as good. The game forces you to juggle your arsenal constantly and doesn't really alIow for different play-styles. I personally did not like the chainsaw mechanic, either, at all. MP is also a given as Battlemode is shocking. I don't think either game needed MP but 2016's, small player base aside, was moderate fun. I'm so glad I did the MP achievements prior to 6.66 though!

I also found the difficulty surprisingly high even on lower difficulties; not to the point of not being able to finish it or anything, I got the 100% in a 4/10 difficulty sense, but I like single player FPS'.  I could imagine occasional gamers really struggling 

Caveat - the DLC was terrific, prefer The Ancient Gods to the base game.

Edited by PhantomFear94

17 minutes ago, BrickwallBill said:

Disagree, only because the same exact things could be said about Odyssey imo. Haven't played Valhalla yet so can't judge that one.

I have only played up to Origins, but since telling this opinion to other friends I've been warned about Odyssey and Valhalla being just like it, not sure if I should be looking forward to those or not!

42 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

AC Origins has the worst story in the franchise (thus far), the worst exploration because the map is needlessly too big, and the combat (best in the series) is the only thing keeping it together

I think it contains the 2nd worse story (Unity still beats it there). Cliched revenge tale that doesn't actually explain how or why the Brotherhood came to be...it just kind of tacks on the "origins" part at the very end. Combat is the beginning of a good system that peaked in Odyssey and had grown tiresome in Valhalla.

Agreed that the map is too big but personally loved exploring mysterious ruins and just being one with the silence of the deserts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

DOOM was my 2016 GOTY. Eternal has - as the kids would say - "pick me" energy. Instead of trying to incrementally improve what DOOM great, it tried too hard to make everything, bigger, gorier, more violent like a younger sibling on a sugar rush. It just tried to flex the size of its muscles and doesn't feel well thought out. The level designs are way too bloated and aside from a few towards the end of the game are completely non-memorable (I still remember 2016 really well 7 years on).  The pacing is weak. The story isn't as good. The game forces you to juggle your arsenal constantly and doesn't really alIow for different play-styles. I personally did not like the chainsaw mechanic, either, at all. MP is also a given as Battlemode is shocking. I don't think either game needed MP but 2016's, small player base aside, was moderate fun. I'm so glad I did the MP achievements prior to 6.66 though!

HARD disagree. Doom Eternal is one of the best shooters ever made, if not the best. 2016 was good but kind of a generic shooter and those playstyles your talking about? everyone's playstyle was using only the super shotgun. Eternal improves on 2016 in absolutely every way. It's funny you see 'forcing you to juggle your arsenal' as a bad thing because I think it's the best thing about it. You're required to use everything available to you to make the Doom slayer an unmatchable killing machine. In 2016 he was just a dude with a shotgun.

Story was wack I'll agree on that and Battlemode is a complete waste of time but the gameplay in the campaign makes the game what it is.

I think opinions on which Doom game is better is split down the middle so I'm no so sure its an unpopular opinion.

Tales of Symphonia is probably the most overrated JRPG I have played. Characters besides a few were meh, gameplay was clunky and stiff, and is overall a mediocre ass game. People only glaze this game because it's their childhood JRPG blinded by nostalgia. Got me off to a bad start with the Tales series sadly. Especially since a friend recommended that over Xillia 1 at the time(which is way fucking better). 

Edited by ninja-star95
Typo

I hate when I see comments that say

"I don't like or play Multiplayer Games" 

I get why like sometimes online games can be Toxic, or just repetitive & maybe just feel like a massive time sink.

But some of the best game time I had was with Multiplayer sessions playing with new people. 

I often look back on some multiplayer communites that I had alot fun with and knowing  it'll never be the same when it was first out

20 hours ago, ninja-star95 said:

Tales of Symphonia is probably the most overrated JRPG I have played. Characters besides a few were meh, gameplay was clunky and stiff, and is overall a mediocre ass game. People only glaze this game because it's their childhood JRPG blinded by nostalgia. Got me off to a bad start with the Tales series sadly. Especially since a friend recommended that over Xillia 1 at the time(which is way fucking better). 

I didnt play it back in the day, but heard there are better JRPGS in general from that time period, and yes, maybe games like xenosaga are better

17 hours ago, fyiByas said:

I hate when I see comments that say

"I don't like or play Multiplayer Games" 

I get why like sometimes online games can be Toxic, or just repetitive & maybe just feel like a massive time sink.

But some of the best game time I had was with Multiplayer sessions playing with new people. 

I often look back on some multiplayer communites that I had alot fun with and knowing  it'll never be the same when it was first out

Playing online games was very different back in the day, if you wanted a whole competitive experience, you could have it by joining dedicated clan servers, or if you wanted more a more casual match you could also play in modded servers or even p2p with relative good internet, no battle pass/playing streaks, no leaderboards, and i think its great to know there are more people that play the same game not just in your country, but in the world, and many of them are better than you, i think thats a shocking great moment when you start playing MP online. Mp gaming when done right, its amazing.

Unpopular opinion:  Final fantasy 7 rebirth will be a great game, different in many aspects from the story and gameplay, but even being a top tier IP,its not going to win GOTY

51 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Unpopular opinion:  Final fantasy 7 rebirth will be a great game, different in many aspects from the story and gameplay, but even being a top tier IP,its not going to win GOTY

I have no doubt this will be true. FF7 Remake was superb and offers a better experience than the original as far as Midgar goes. Rebirth looks like that same quality will be present and turned up to the next level since it will only be on the current gen (PS5).

Unpopular Opinion: Sony screwed up badly on the PSVR2 by not ensuring backward compatibility. I decided maybe I would give this a try and realized most of the games I was interested in wouldn't even be playable on this headset even though it is twice as expensive.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 12:24 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

Unpopular Opinion: Sony screwed up badly on the PSVR2 by not ensuring backward compatibility. I decided maybe I would give this a try and realized most of the games I was interested in wouldn't even be playable on this headset even though it is twice as expensive.

Hard agree.  Don't know about the VR2 specifically, but not having backwards compatibility is always a bad move.

Unpopular opinion

People who use META builds, teams, whatever are bad at the game.

Not the ones who come up with our discover the META, they're usually chill and the first to try dumb shit.  I'm talking about the ones who follow them blindly and can't think for themselves.

Edited by Phlegeth

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 11:25 AM, Phlegeth said:

Hard agree.  Don't know about the VR2 specifically, but not having backwards compatibility is always a bad move.

Unpopular opinion

People who use META builds, teams, whatever are bad at the game.

Not the ones who come up with our discover the META, they're usually chill and the first to try dumb shit.  I'm talking about the ones who follow them blindly and can't think for themselves.

Usually when you find a strategy to kill that META, they usually go down very quickly, this can also apply to fighting games, but i think its important that if you really have a specific kind of gameplay, that you know how to adapt to others, thats the fun in competitive gameplay, but yeah, ive met people who play with youtube strategies and after being popped down they improve at the game, it totally depends in the rage quit mental state of everyone.

On 12/24/2023 at 1:19 PM, Terra said:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series doesn't get enough love. 

Cant answer that because i havent play it.

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Its absurd Sony doesnt give support as before with avatars, themes, and private/public groups 

• Like 1