Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

3 hours ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

No, you didn't...

Haha! Genuinely taken aback at how many likes my initial post received, I expected to wake up to an uproar the next morning as I understand the Uncharted series is a beloved one. I guess it just isn't for me! The one Uncharted game I actually enjoyed was the one Nathan Drake's annoying presence wasn't in (Lost Legacy).

On 4/8/2024 at 5:48 AM, ddracarys said:

I'll preface this by clarifying that I understand I'm in the minority with this opinion.

I find the Uncharted series quite tasteless, and Nathan Drake in particular to be an annoying and unfunny protagonist. It always surprises me how this series became so beloved, so much as to warrant this many games, a movie, etc. Obviously, I'm not the target demographic, because the games just seemed like bland third person shooters to me - they never did anything terribly unique to warrant the overwhelming praise.

I was geniunely angry at Uncharted 4 specifically, he didn't deserve any forgiveness from Elena. Nate is a prime shithead.

• Like 1

I really like online trophies, especially when its maybe a bit difficult or a grind, i find them fun and i enjoy the challenge of having to compete against other people to earn my trophies. I also look down a little those who then boost these sorts of trophies, like firstly i dont understand why, its not fun, and secondly, yes you earned the trophy but you did not really try. 

Addendum to this, i do agree it sucks when servers go offline or games completely die!

On 4/8/2024 at 1:48 PM, ddracarys said:

I'll preface this by clarifying that I understand I'm in the minority with this opinion.

I find the Uncharted series quite tasteless, and Nathan Drake in particular to be an annoying and unfunny protagonist. It always surprises me how this series became so beloved, so much as to warrant this many games, a movie, etc. Obviously, I'm not the target demographic, because the games just seemed like bland third person shooters to me - they never did anything terribly unique to warrant the overwhelming praise.

Partially agree. I think insufferable smartass archetypes is getting caught in the Marvel film fatigue windfall. Drake is annoying by design, so some will find him unbearable.

Gameplay isn't anything original but it's done well. Gunplay is tight, and quite punishing on Crushing. I think Uncharted has lot of cool set pieces, and it's a bit like Indiana Jones without getting mummified Harrison Ford out of the closets. That said, story and the villains are forgettable.

UO: The Last of Us part 1 is not the Holy Grail of gaming that so many claims it to be. Partially my fault for playing on Hard from the get go, because it made lot of the encounters incredibly frustrating. While I understand the story is about watching Ellie and Joel grow together, too often I'm just begging them to talk to each other instead of sulking like a toddler. It's good, but not the greatest thing ever.

• Like 2

I never understood the hype for Final Fantasy 7.  I played it back on PS1 and felt like it was the end of the fantasy.  It was more of a Sci fi game to me.  I thought Cloud was not a very good character and really struggled with this one.  I really enjoyed the previous entries more.  I thought Crisis Core for the PSP was a much better game and Zach is a way better character than Cloud.

Edited by wafflestomper810
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

Genshin Impact is a good game with amazing art and story.

Minecraft is an underrated game. 

Roblox is cringe.

CoD MW 2 is actually fun.

TC2 is the best crew game.

Goodnight.

None of these are particularly unpopular opinions, except maybe TC2 being the best game in that series

On 10/18/2023 at 2:23 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The Ubisoft open-world formula is not an inherently bad thing... it's only bad when the games it's applied to are - and they probably would be, even without it.

I agree 100%. Ubisoft formula is one of my favorites for open worlds if it fits

My opinion:

Modern gaming or the development of the industry in recent years is killing me slowly. (I like the development and acceptance of esports.)

I dont like "the big balls" of 18 y.o. guys in multiplayer these days. Everyone has to be the best and the coolest. If you make a "mistake" then your entire family tree is insulted. Everything has to be quick and easy... pay to win, pay to progress, pay to whatever ... Profile has to be crispy clean and if you have stuff or skins to show off, nice! The main thing is the flex (every social media website as well)

In the past, it was rare to meet someone who spoke your language or you could tell from their gamertag which country they were from. Just a "Hi, I'm also from ...." and you played the whole session together. Just wholesome vibes. Today, "Hi I'm from Germany"  " ohhh so you [please insert something from 90 years ago] and your [Family member] is a [be creative, come on!]"

Early Access, day one patch, pre-orders, season pass ... i hate it all. I dont blame the devs or publisher. They are just smart and take the money for half finished games or loveless games. They dont even need to be finish on release day any more. God bless we have day one patch or the first big 70gb patch after one week. 

I will stop here...could write 5.000 Words more :D

And now its more a rage and not a unpopular opinion. To be clear I will find 2-3 good things in every point I mentioned above. :) 

Edited by vsvpl1501
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, val_blanc said:

Partially agree. I think insufferable smartass archetypes is getting caught in the Marvel film fatigue windfall. Drake is annoying by design, so some will find him unbearable.

Gameplay isn't anything original but it's done well. Gunplay is tight, and quite punishing on Crushing. I think Uncharted has lot of cool set pieces, and it's a bit like Indiana Jones without getting mummified Harrison Ford out of the closets. That said, story and the villains are forgettable.

Said it better than me! This. :yay:

On 1/11/2024 at 11:06 PM, Xenoblast91 said:

1. Nintendo has lost its brilliance since the Wii U downfall. I understand all the fuzz about that they diversify and don't compete directly with MS or Sony. However, their products, in my sight, have lost the quality and magic that once shone upon them. 

Nintendo lost that with the Wii. Awful novelty crap. I'd owned and loved every Nintendo console up to that point too.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:13 PM, Vulpine9Tails said:

I like following guides start to finish. I would do it for every single game if I could. I also don't have to justify it to anyone. 

Oh, me too! I'll follow video games for the trophies and I don't care if anyone's got a problem with it. It helps me, I definitely wouldn't have gotten through most of the Final Fantasy games had I not used guides for them, and it allowed me to enjoy them.

• Like 1

The one I'm the most passionate about: Assassin's Creed Revelations is the worst Assassin's Creed game. It's also the first game to come to my mind when thinking about my least-liked game.

Now to explain:

I was a fan of the series, and I still think ACII and Brotherhood were the best ones. I even preordered the collector's edition of Revelations. When my friend played the game on console while I still had to wait for the release of the PC version, he told me that it wasn't as good as the previous ones. I was still hopeful, though. Then the game came out, and I was shocked. I didn't understand the choices that were made, the game looked so much worse than even the original one, Ezio and particularly Desmond's faces were ugly. And I was so let down that I hated it.

Then, through the years, I started seeing people call the game the best of the Ezio trilogy. And I started to think that I might have overreacted, maybe it wasn't so bad. So when I switched to PlayStation and started trophy hunting, I couldn't wait to revisit this trilogy. And when I played Revelations again, hoping to have changed my mind at last, I realized that it was even worse than I remembered. It looks like what I would expect from the port of a mobile game from that era. Nothing interesting happens. Even worse, to get the platinum I had to play through what looks like an actual platforming mobile game.

I just don't understand how they could fuck this up that much. It's been twelve years, and I'm still so mad.

14 minutes ago, Venal said:

The one I'm the most passionate about: Assassin's Creed Revelations is the worst Assassin's Creed game. It's also the first game to come to my mind when thinking about my least-liked game.

Now to explain:

I was a fan of the series, and I still think ACII and Brotherhood were the best ones. I even preordered the collector's edition of Revelations. When my friend played the game on console while I still had to wait for the release of the PC version, he told me that it wasn't as good as the previous ones. I was still hopeful, though. Then the game came out, and I was shocked. I didn't understand the choices that were made, the game looked so much worse than even the original one, Ezio and particularly Desmond's faces were ugly. And I was so let down that I hated it.

Then, through the years, I started seeing people call the game the best of the Ezio trilogy. And I started to think that I might have overreacted, maybe it wasn't so bad. So when I switched to PlayStation and started trophy hunting, I couldn't wait to revisit this trilogy. And when I played Revelations again, hoping to have changed my mind at last, I realized that it was even worse than I remembered. It looks like what I would expect from the port of a mobile game from that era. Nothing interesting happens. Even worse, to get the platinum I had to play through what looks like an actual platforming mobile game.

I just don't understand how they could fuck this up that much. It's been twelve years, and I'm still so mad.

Disagree.

Best of the Ezio trilogy IMO - the best city setting by a country mile, the least insufferable Ezio once he's older and more world-weary, and the best music of probably the whole series.

Unpopular Opinion:

The two best Life is Strange games are the ones not made by the series creators.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Venal said:

Now to explain:

For the longest time I actually agreed with you, but I played the remastered version a while ago and I think the nostalgia factor really carried it. It’s definitely still the weakest in the Ezio trilogy and the root of the series’ many present day issues, but I would at least place it above Valhalla now. You mentioned it feels like a mobile game… rumour has it that it was originally supposed to be one so that explains crappy mechanics like the den defence missions. 

Baldur's Gate 3 is extremely overrated. It's a complete slog to play, its mechanics are frustrating, its gameplay is boring, its characters and dialogue are uninteresting... I'm so tired of hearing about this goddamn game. Eagerly awaiting the time when the gaming industry moves on from it.

I have some UOs (hope its not too much): 

- I actually liked the defense Mini game in Assassinen creed revelations. I only had it occuring 3 to 4 times in each of my playthroughs of this game so they also didnt feel too annoying. The worst aspect of this game were by far the desmond sequences in first person with the puzzle elements.

They were truly horrible. 

- I also liked the Pivot collectibles in AC3. The placing of those pivots on your map to slowly find your target was interessting. Sadly the online aspect ruin it as its now unobtainable. In return I hated Desmonds character modell by far the worst one.

- black flag is the best assassins creed of all time. If I could I would stack it 10 times 

- Battlefield 3 and 4 had great MPs but horrible SP campaigns. I would prefere no campaign at all to this BS. Bf1 and bf 5 had decent ones though.

- the Realism in RDR 2 was too much. Only carrying 2 weapons? Eating or you are skinny... I hope GTA 6 lets you carry all your wepons like in GTA 5.

- GTA 5 story is a big mess. It touches so many topics (Ghettos, crystal meth, family issues, Terrorism...) without any real focus. It felt like an endless amount of excuses for some heists which looked like fun but had no real gameplay depth 

- everyone who buys microtransactions like skins or sharkcards is a loser and deserves to be scammed. Didnt your parents teach you not to waste your money like that? Especially buying skins for your character in a fps where you dont even see your OWN character is beyond insanity 

- Cod advanced warfare exo zombies was fun. 

- having to buy PS plus to play online is even 10 years later a crime. Idc about the free games. It was literally one of the few advantages PS3 had to XBOX 360. I will buy the games I want to play anyway.

- Watch dogs 1 is by far the best watch dogs game

- not really gaming but everytime someone proudly states that he reported a cheater on PSNP I instantly have to think of the boy "Randall" from the Disney cartoon "Recess" (If someone still remember this show) 

Edited by Alex_Gorbatschow

1 hour ago, fancy_buzzer87 said:

I really like COD BO3 campaign and I don't like the multiplayer 

i can respect your opinion, but i feel the exact opposite.

My opinion is that all sports games are absolutely horrible. there are no exceptions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BoolBordan said:

Baldur's Gate 3 is extremely overrated. It's a complete slog to play, its mechanics are frustrating, its gameplay is boring, its characters and dialogue are uninteresting... I'm so tired of hearing about this goddamn game. Eagerly awaiting the time when the gaming industry moves on from it.

Not keen either. I completed acts 1 and 2 and put it on hold to play other games.

The characters are carrying me through it but the quest structure is quite bad, and apparently act 3 is supposed to be the worst of the lot.

Still baffled as to how it was nominated for GOTY let alone won.

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Not keen either. I completed acts 1 and 2 and put it on hold to play other games.

The characters are carrying me through it but the quest structure is quite bad, and apparently act 3 is supposed to be the worst of the lot.

I somewhat agree, I do enjoy BG3 but the fact it got GOTY and people keep praising it for the "insane" customisations.

You mean where every face is premade and detailed for a western face? You mean that customisation? I really don't get how people loved this, they took away the possibility of making unique faces, like I am half Indian right, so I like making somewhat Indian faces, but most of the premade faces are pretty much more Black/White faces or East Asian. It's really hard to do much to make a South Asian or Middle Eastern face. Fine if it's one of the races but did they have to do it for the humans? Even Skyrim allowed you to make a face that was more around those areas.

The quests of BG3 could be a bit confusing without a guide either, everything's in different directions, some of the trophies are annoying to do etc. Good game, but I don't know if I would have said GOTY

3 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Speaking of which, that's another unpopular opinion of mine: Geoff Keighley is a very poor standard-bearer for the gaming industry. It sucks that he's now sidelining the very developers he ostensibly wants to celebrate, in favor of simply trying to bring more and more clout to his own name.

But staying on-topic, I'm with you on the GOTY thing but I'm cynically not surprised. Knowing how Keighley's Game Awards jury works, the thing is (for lack of a better term, at risk of sounding like a whiny child) totally rigged. It's more of an in-industry popular vote rather than something that is given serious and critical thought. And especially in a year like last year, is plagued by recency bias. There's absolutely no structure or standard to the voting and it's how you get a complete mess like last year's Game Awards (across several awards, not just GOTY).

I have a friend who works at an outlet on the TGA jury and she was venting to me last year about her outlet deciding to cast their vote for BG3, despite the fact that none of their contributors viewed it as their personal GOTY, and even when this site (want to avoid naming names) put out their top 5 or whatever of 2023, BG3 was I think like #3 or 4. It was just the fact that BG3 had been dominating the conversation across the industry and they went with it because apparently it seemed like a foregone conclusion. I guess that's good enough to warrant a Game of the Year vote? Some sort of standard really needs to be set.

imo of the nominees that were there, TGA's jury bs robbed Tears of the Kingdom of the award it clearly earned. I know I'm biased but I feel between the two, I feel TOTK is objectively the better game. Its physics systems and the Ultrahand mechanic alone are far more technologically impressive and developmentally innovative than anything BG3 did. And I think going forward TOTK is going to leave far bigger ripples across the industry when it comes to its influence on game design (the same way BOTW did) than BG3 will. But at the time of TGAs, BG3 was the more recent release of the two, and guess which one won?

And side note, I'm also still bitter about Final Fantasy XVI not being nominated for GOTY.

But anyways, sorry for the rant lol. My frustration with BG3 and my loathing of Geoff Keighley's industry takeover made last year's TGA one hell of a 3-hour groan.

Edited by BoolBordan
  • Like 3

Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls game.

Prince of Persia 2008 is my favorite of the series.

Witcher 1 is my favorite of the trilogy.

Dragon Age 2 is better than Inquisition. 
Doom 3 is some of Id’s best work.

Hitman Absolution is underrated. 

Risen is a good game.

AC: Odyssey is MUCH better than Origins! Origins is a very mediocre game!

Edited by Bratinov
  • Like 1