Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

23 minutes ago, TidusSerger said:

The Last of Us Part II is the worst Sony first party game ever and took the fun away from me for gaming in generell for a while after I played it on the release date

Hard disagree - one of my favourite big AAA-type games ever, and one of the best narrative games I've played in that genre! 🤣

Unpopular Opinion:

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is one of the more disappointing games of that (very good) franchise.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Unpopular Opinion:

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is one of the more disappointing games of that (very good) franchise.

Haven’t played it so I can’t really comment but I have heard people say the series lost its edge 

unpopular opnion : I think it’s ok for games to do stuff that can be frustration or not necessarily fun . 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

unpopular opnion : I think it’s ok for games to do stuff that can be frustration or not necessarily fun . 

Very much agree- particularly when it serves the narrative. 

(for example, making you do the mundane tasks in Control, when the character is trapped a fugue state, to make you feel as ineffectual as she feels at that point...

...or having you feel exhausted by a game to mirror the characters and to punctuate the point, (Last of Us Part II's post-farmhouse stuff!) 

Unpopular Opinion:

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin is the best entry in that mighty trilogy!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Very much agree- particularly when it serves the narrative. 

(for example, making you do the mundane tasks in Control, when the character is trapped a fugue state, to make you feel as ineffectual as she feels at that point...

...or having you feel exhausted by a game to mirror the characters and to punctuate the point, (Last of Us Part II's post-farmhouse stuff!) 

Unpopular Opinion:

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin is the best entry in that mighty trilogy!

Disagree, but I think DS2SofFS is a great game.

Final Fantasy 14 >>> World of Warcraft

• Like 1

Just now, sepheroithisgod said:

Final Fantasy 14 >>> World of Warcraft

100% agree. I never could get into WOW but ff14 is more enjoyable to me .

Unpopular opinion: real time with pause is a valid form of combat for RPGs like action or turn based but isn’t treated as stuff and barely nonexistent these days.

42 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

100% agree. I never could get into WOW but ff14 is more enjoyable to me .

Unpopular opinion: real time with pause is a valid form of combat for RPGs like action or turn based but isn’t treated as stuff and barely nonexistent these days.

Disagree

Unpopular opinion - Assassins' Creed: Origins is the best AC game made yet.

3 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

Also I really liked The Order: 1886, Knack 1 and Killzone Shadow Fall 😂

Agree on The Order: 1886. The rest haven't played.

I like Mafia III. And I really don't know why everyone I saw said it's crap. Repetitive? Kinda, yeah. But I find most open world games are nowadays. Anyway, I enjoyed the game when I played it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, theomgkitteh said:

Agree on The Order: 1886. The rest haven't played.

I like Mafia III. And I really don't know why everyone I saw said it's crap. Repetitive? Kinda, yeah. But I find most open world games are nowadays. Anyway, I enjoyed the game when I played it.

Absolutely agree, game was a lot of fun, with a cool setting and phenomenal soundtrack.

Unpopular opinion: I don’t understand the look/appeal of Anime and I find it weird as shit that it is as popular as it is. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Absolutely agree, game was a lot of fun, with a cool setting and phenomenal soundtrack.

Unpopular opinion: I don’t understand the look/appeal of Anime and I find it weird as shit that it is as popular as it is. 

Agree on Anime, I would controversially say it's for children (is that my unpopular opinion as well)

Games should look like they were made in the decade they are released not 20 years ago (be gentle)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, freddie1989 said:

Agree on Anime, I would controversially say it's for children (is that my unpopular opinion as well)

Games should look like they were made in the decade they are released not 20 years ago (be gentle)

yeah, I don’t get the market for anime.  You’d think it’s for children, but it seems ridiculously popular with adults.  Like slightly sexualized graphics but weird in that the young gals have giant eyes, horns coming out of their heads, etc.  I guess whatever floats your boat, lol.

Fully agree.  I understand a little bit of retro fun or nostalgia here and there but it’s gone overboard with the indie shovelware (not true shovelware but not real gaming for the current year) that gets released.  

I’ll take the unpopular opinion one step further.  95% of Indie games are a chore to get through.  Point and click, clunky and shallow gameplay, bad visuals, no immersion, etc  I mean it’s nice so you can make a game and it takes talent to do but…. It’s a shame because there are some great ones but they tend to get lost in the deluge.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Disagree - I like all game types from one-man-band indies to  Multi-million dollar AAA's, but I find there is far less interesting games - and far fewer novel concepts -  to be found in the latter than the former!

100%

Unpopular Opinion: 

Trophy rarity should not be a deciding factor in a gamer’s decision to play a game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VoidVictorious said:

100%

Unpopular Opinion: 

Trophy rarity should not be a deciding factor in a gamer’s decision to play a game.

agree, just play games that you reckon look cool and not worry about how rare or unrare a trophy is

Fighting games/button masher games are boring, they completely suck and all fighting games are exactly the same

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

If you're button mashing in a fighting game, odds are you're simply just not good at them but that's just my take

Zelda games are overrated. Nintendo games in general are overrated. They're good no doubt but people put them on a pedestal they don't deserve.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying that Nintendo games aren't great, they are, it's just that I feel many get praised as "THE BEST EVAR!" when that isn't the case. But I'm also speaking as someone who grew up as a Sega fanboy

Edited by majob
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, djb5f said:

yeah, I don’t get the market for anime.  You’d think it’s for children, but it seems ridiculously popular with adults.  Like slightly sexualized graphics but weird in that the young gals have giant eyes, horns coming out of their heads, etc.  I guess whatever floats your boat, lol.

Fully agree.  I understand a little bit of retro fun or nostalgia here and there but it’s gone overboard with the indie shovelware (not true shovelware but not real gaming for the current year) that gets released.  

I’ll take the unpopular opinion one step further.  95% of Indie games are a chore to get through.  Point and click, clunky and shallow gameplay, bad visuals, no immersion, etc  I mean it’s nice so you can make a game and it takes talent to do but…. It’s a shame because there are some great ones but they tend to get lost in the deluge.

I am 100% with you. I have been playing The Ascent which I actually think is a great indie but then some of the stuff I see people suggest is great just sucks badly.

13 minutes ago, shadaik said:

Disagree, it's just that the order got out of whack 😉 

Unpopular opinion: Some games are much better off without trophies

Agree, specifically very grindy games or multiplayer only games. Thinking games like Destiny/Overwatch/BR games/multiplier only games or games with a huge RNG presence. 

UO: Speedrun trophies are fun, especially in linear games. I actually love going for them - learning ins/outs of different levels and tricks on how to bypass enemies without using extra resources.

5 minutes ago, psycho_clank314 said:

UO: Speedrun trophies are fun, especially in linear games. I actually love going for them - learning ins/outs of different levels and tricks on how to bypass enemies without using extra resources.

Agreed , even I I don’t care for them .

UO: “walking simulators” as they are called are valid forms of games .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

UO: “walking simulators” as they are called are valid forms of games .

Yeah 100% agree, when people say that whatever walking sim is bad because "it's not a real game" just muddies the water and distracts from any of the actual flaws the game may have.

UO: Daxter is a far better game than Jak II or Jak X combat racing

Agreed.  The word "sometimes" makes it hard to disagree with that.  However, I can't think of an example off the top of my head to back that up. 

Below is an example of when it was not a good thing for a game.

Unpopular Opinion: Dragon Age II is the best Dragon Age game in the series.