Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

9 hours ago, Lanky-Lemon said:

The Last of Us series is overrated and I'd personally prefer it if Naughty Dog brought back Jak & Daxter instead. 🤐

First part, agreed. Second part, both disagreed and agreed — the series should be brought back but not by ND (nor even the PlayStation Studios's GOAT Insomniac Games), unless they outsource gameplay and story at least, in short.

"Most" might be too strong a word so... In short, a lot of video game remasters/remakes are not better than their original counterpart.

Edited by EcoShifter
typo

Oh boy. Well, I dunno how much traction it'll get on a PS-focused site, but the gaming opinion I've gotten yelled at the most for is this: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a subpar game and a garbage sequel to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Its fanservice is extreme and offputting, the vast majority of its characters are bland or terrible, the story is weak, and the combat is hilariously overcomplicated and hard to follow, with the game's insistence on NOT allowing players to re-read its 5,000,000 tutorials exacerbating the problem a thousandfold. If you're in the market for Switch games, don't buy this - just get Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and spare yourself.

• Confused 1

In order to keep the streak and game like @DrBloodmoney said:

10 minutes ago, flthy-anml said:

Agree - thinking about it, it's hard to name more than five I like more than the originals.

The 2013 Devil May Cry wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Dante's redesign wasn't even that bad.

The game isnt bad, but the sin as a whole was the moment capcom was at that moment, it took many wrong choices before that, and i think any product or game related to capcom was going to get punched like this game did

11 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

Oh boy. Well, I dunno how much traction it'll get on a PS-focused site, but the gaming opinion I've gotten yelled at the most for is this: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a subpar game and a garbage sequel to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Its fanservice is extreme and offputting, the vast majority of its characters are bland or terrible, the story is weak, and the combat is hilariously overcomplicated and hard to follow, with the game's insistence on NOT allowing players to re-read its 5,000,000 tutorials exacerbating the problem a thousandfold. If you're in the market for Switch games, don't buy this - just get Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and spare yourself.

I only played a little of xenoblade games but they are huge in content, its complicated to know which one to jump if you are a first timer

Unpopular opinion: Konami selling for cheap the PES 2021 edition because COVID, and also because "its a roster update with little change on mechanics", its something more brands in general should consider doing, and not just going for the "go full price or go free"

24 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Unpopular opinion: Konami selling for cheap the PES 2021 edition because COVID, and also because "its a roster update with little change on mechanics", its something more brands in general should consider doing, and not just going for the "go full price or go free"

You're right that it should happen in a world where companies would care more about the goodwill of their customers. Most will care more about short term money though, especially ones who have stockholders to please.

Unpopular opinion: the PS Vita was initially not killed by Sony, but by publishers who used their B and C teams to deliver mostly subpar games.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Unpopular opinion: the PS Vita was initially not killed by Sony, but by publishers who used their B and C teams to deliver mostly subpar games.

Partially disagree. I've never owned a PS Vita, I never really felt the need or appeal to get one and I put that down to Sony's advertising or lack off, but could be I guess that it had mainly subpar games that didn't appeal to me. 

Unpopular opinion: The Witcher 3 is overhyped and just isn't that good 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

hmmm…. Don’t agree quite yet, but I suspect I might in future depending on how things go!

Annual sports games like Fifa, Madden and WWE games are technically shovelware, but My Name is Mayo games are technically not.

Oooouch, as someone who's played every WWE game, that hurts.

May I know why? I have played every game starting from the original SmackDown vs Raw 2005 and, excluding WWE 2K17 and 2K18, I've been having the time of my life with all of them. Definitely not shovelware material.

12 minutes ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

Partially disagree. I've never owned a PS Vita, I never really felt the need or appeal to get one and I put that down to Sony's advertising or lack off, but could be I guess that it had mainly subpar games that didn't appeal to me. 

Unpopular opinion: The Witcher 3 is overhyped and just isn't that good 

I partially agree with that. The game is overhyped but it's a good game

Unpopular opinion: Soulslike games are overrated, yeah they are cool but everyone seems afraid of saying its overrated, same with Zelda. (I never said they are not good, they are just overrated and overhyped)

Edited by Sappurys
forgot to add
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

May I know why? I have played every game starting from the original SmackDown vs Raw 2005 and, excluding WWE 2K17 and 2K18, I've been having the time of my life with all of them. Definitely not shovelware material.

Well - I don’t want to derail, but as a quick summary:

The actual definition of “shovelware” isn’t “easy games” - it’s games that come out with countless “new” versions, with minimal or marginal changes, and little effort made to distinguish them.

Technically, since Mayo games only have a few sequels, and not many stacks, they are “EZPZ”, but not actually “shovelware”…

…while the annual sports games (which are very similar in each new entry by necessity, and which come out with a new “stack” every year) are certainly not “EZPZ”, but would technically fit the definition of “shovelware”

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sappurys said:

Unpopular opinion: Soulslike games are overrated, yeah they are cool but everyone seems afraid of saying it’s overrated, same as Zelda.

Agree! And I would add they are terrible, boring games too. (Not Zelda)

Unpopular opinion: Jak II is by far the best Jak & Daxter game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Baker said:

Agree! And I would add they are terrible, boring games too. (Not Zelda)

Unpopular opinion: Jak II is by far the best Jak & Daxter game.

Agree. Most platformers never change their formula. J&D2 was totally different genre than the first game.

The best Zelda game in the series is called...tada:

9040-okami-old-full.png

Sony doesn't make best games on their platforms. Capcom does. They have systemsellers every gen.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well - I don’t want to derail, but as a quick summary:

The actual definition of “shovelware” isn’t “easy games” - it’s games that come out with countless “new” versions, with minimal or marginal changes, and little effort made to distinguish them.

Technically, since Mayo games only have a few sequels, and not many stacks, they are “EZPZ”, but not actually “shovelware”…

…while the annual sports games (which are very similar in each new entry by necessity, and which come out with a new “stack” every year) are certainly not “EZPZ”, but would technically fit the definition of “shovelware”

What I consider shovelware is a "game" with zero content at all whose purpose is to just handle Trophies, so I also don't consider Mayo to be it since at least it offers some humour and it's somehow a meme among Trophy hunters.

I guess you didn't play them, but WWE games are different from each other. Sure, the main gameplay is the same, but they are all different from each other because of the stories, the main modes, the stipulations etc., and are easily recognisable. And sometimes, even the gameplay changes! The latest change happened from 2K20 to 2K22, so I wouldn't say they are made with lazy effort or something similar: they are actually made with effort, different and recognizable from each other, and very enjoyable for those who are fans of the product, like me. Exceptions being 2K17 and 18 that have a solid gameplay but terrible game modes, but I know people who enjoyed them anyway.

Edited by KenjiCBZ

Agreed (without passion or a dog in the fight).

A game is not overhyped just because a lot of people who played it liked it, but you didn’t, ie Skyrim.

A game is overhyped based on expectations nurtured from past games by a developer, but then doesn’t deliver as advertised or imagined, ie Starfield. 😂

• Like 4

Agreed, although games can be overhyped by the devs or the players imo.

For me, God of War (2018) had neither engaing gameplay or an interesting story, and I got bored and stopped after about 4-5 hours.

I have properly trophy hunted since June last year, and in that time I have only have quit earning the platinum for one game, which was GoW 2018.

Edited by disaster500
  • Confused 1

Totally disagree, i havent played GOW ragnarok, but i can tell you GoW 2018 goes slow but it keeps going up, even when you revisit many places under different circumstances, when the optional missions open and you can upgrade a little more freely everything its a great game, and the chemistry between characters is just amazing, i think that makes the game stand from other stories from the time, but yeah, its very different from regular euro kratos, not better or worse, just diffferent.

Unpopular opinion: Even when its a franchise being dead for almost ten years since its last original game, people should give a break to the new wave of Silent hill games, try/buy/play the games and give your opinion, but stop giving takes on a product that isnt available yet

• Like 2

n/a as I have not played any Horizon games so cannot comment on that.

Unpopular opinion- Nier Automata had a very boring story, it went over my head and I don't remember even one thing from the story. The gameplay was great, but everyone else was going on about how great the story was and how sad/tragic it was. I did not find anything sad or tragic about this game and don't know what was so good about the story, as it was one of the very few games where I don't remember it at all with how little it left an impression on me. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Horizon Forbidden West isn't as engaging as its predecessor. 

Mixed, I think the story is better, but the gameplay itself wasn't substantially different or new enough justify as much acclaim.

(posted while I was writing mine)

2 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Unpopular opinion- Nier Automata had a very boring story, it went over my head and I don't remember even one thing from the story. The gameplay was great, but everyone else was going on about how great the story was and how sad/tragic it was. I did not find anything sad or tragic about this game and don't know what was so good about the story, as it was one of the very few games where I don't remember it at all with how little it left an impression on me. 

I kinda agree in the sense that it forcing you to replay a whole section of the game just makes parts of the game blur together but I do think the game stand quite profound things about the nature of purpose up to that point.

I could play the Telltale/Life is Strange genre type games forever. There never needed to be any major gameplay improvements with most of them, just slot in and out a new story and you have effectively a standardised story telling medium that is extremely versatile and could have been a much bigger genre if other companies didn't take the lesson to split games into episodes.  

1 hour ago, disaster500 said:

For me, God of War (2018) had neither engaing gameplay or an interesting story, and I got bored and stopped after about 4-5 hours.

Awful game. Ruined one of my favourite series by stripping it's identify and making it like every other Sony first party exclusive

I know this is supposed to be a game but I'm too old and stubborn to play so will just leave my opinion that I know noone will agree with.

Spider-Man 2018 is more cutscene than game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Disagree because that's objectively wrong. lol

Threads like this are filled with pettiness and hyperbolism, where everyone says x game is awful or overrated just because they personally don't like it and need vindication.

Oh, and the open-world Zelda games - while still fun - aren't good Zelda games (and both games are a lot more flawed than most people are willing to admit).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeanolt said:

FFVII Remake is a fantastic remake, and one of the best RPGs in recent memory. Nostalgia does harm in recognizing it.

Mixed. Great rpg, but I question that it's a remake of the original at all.

Invizimals was the best Pokemon clone.

On 10/7/2023 at 10:08 AM, shadaik said:

Mixed. Great rpg, but I question that it's a remake of the original at all.

Invizimals was the best Pokemon clone.

N/A

The Last of Us Part II is the worst Sony first party game ever and took the fun away from me for gaming in generell for a while after I played it on the release date

• Like 1
  • Haha 2