Why the Call of Duty Hate?

TheLiamK

"hate" is a strong word, and wouldn't describe my feelings towards the series.

Truth be told, I loved CoD once upon a time. I thoroughly enjoyed MW2. My last CoD game was BlOps2, which I didn't play once the SP was finished... I didn't enjoy their changes to the MP progression system then.

These days, I'd say I was indifferent to the series. I feel like I've tried and tired of everything it has to offer years ago. I get an itch to go back when I see the games on offer every now and again, but would only be playing for the SP and Co-op missions in any case, so haven't see them go cheap enough yet.

People hate it because they're pretty much reharshing every year the same thing and still every year it's really popular with tons of copies sold.

Assassin's creed has become similar to COD in this way.However I still like AC(even if less than I used to) and I can't say the same about COD,even though developing the same game every year it's bad if you ask me.

I love playing Black Ops, lol. I agree people hate it for many reasons, but I like the quick paced arcade like feel to the action.

Of course there are MANY dumb assholes on the mic but I've always had fun screwing with them. You'd be surprised how often playing with their heads works. :P

• Like 1

Same shit, different year. Overpowered killstreaks & equipment make the bad players come out on top by simply camping in a corner somewhere or head-glitching until they get 4/5 kills so they can go on a killstreak chain. Will they change a thing? Nope. Fuck you give me money!

Call of Duty Ghost was so Hated, That single player and Coop is so Insanely Great. I don't care about that Competitive MP. I avoid that part of All the Call of Duty Games like a plague. I despise Competitive Multiplayer. I play it for the single player and Coop.

COD games have the most generic storyline while ghosts sits at the top in the generic and plain story section.  The ending was so predictable that i felt stupid playing it.

I hate Call of Honor and Medal of Duty and Battlefarce or whatever those games are called because it reminds me of work. Granted my job doesn't have me riding snowmobiles chasing down Russian ex-KGB agents who are also supporting Muslim militants in Phuckyustan or whatever, but after working 10 hours a day in a military environment the last thing I want to do is sit down to a game of the same thing (and gets most of it wrong). It's like my wife who doesn't understand why I can't be arsed to take her to the annual airshow in town; I work around aircraft 10 hours a day 5 days a week, why would I want to stand in the hot sun on my day off for more of the same thing? I could possibly stand military shooting games if it was fantasized, which I why I could play a science fiction based one like Killzone because it's not that close to reminding me of work. I also don't read military fiction novels like Tom Clancy, or watch dumbass hoorah war films like American Sniper, or any TV shows related to or about the military, because the last thing I want to do in my off time is be reminded of work. I have friends and coworkers that just eat all that shit up and it blows my mind. So don't take it personally.

You should take your wife to that airshow some time

I like call of duty, name me one shooter besides battlefield that plays better than this franchise.They're good at what they do and that is delivering what their audience demands. About the screaming little children, simply click mute all and there's your problem solved.

• Like 2

People love to hate big games because that is the "cool" thing right now. It seems like most people that hate CoD never or recently played one and read something off the internet and they didn't form there own opinion. 

Edited by WulfPack3
  • Like 1

Cod should just learn from the all amazing Counter Strike and just release a "game" here and there and just update it for 15 years maybe then people wont complain that its a rehash and they've made little to no change *rolls eyes*. There's so many games out there that actually make fairly big changes theme-wise (battlefield hardline) or gameplay/Genre wise (Resident evil games) get completely shitted on by their communities for being bad or changing too much smh.

Personally, I would never play buy a CoD. I tried some demos - MW3 was my favorite, I guess - and it was okay for me (sidenote: FarCry3 is the only fps I really cared about.), but the game is expensive.. and all the DLCs....

And the biggest no-no for me ... it is a multiplayergame. No, really, IT IS. Not "it has", IT IS! :P They just put in a 4h-singleplayer because ... ah, no forget that line, actually people ARE spending over 100€ on a game just to play multiplayer. For me is mp boring (generally. I dont understand the fascination in eg League of Legends. Its basicly resetting every ~30 minutes?!), and the franchise has way too much mp-trophies, not enough singleplayer-content and its f*cking expensive.

In summarize... no thank you. But at least I tried it... and it was ok.

But, its not hate from my side. I just dont like the genre. But at least I tried. right? :) I dont like to prejudice. Own opinions based on own experience are important. ... So, CoD was okay for me, but I really dont like multiplayer (in general). Thats all.

To answer your question... There always will be people who think "My stuff is better than yours!" (#PCMASTERRACE). So, maybe it was one of the Battlefield-guys? Or... there are many people saying all japanese games are just indies, or for children, or for perverts. (Yeah, then Im a proud pervert child!) ... Its like racism or homophobia. There is no explanation for it. Some people are just more stupid than others. :P A prejudice. It seems for me people are rarely trying stuff for themself. Most of them will copy an opinion they picked somewhere up. Nearly everybody hated eg Windows Vista, but nearly nobody tried it. I worked in personal-TechSupport and we got many PCs factory sealed, new, freshly bought and people were like "I want XP on it!". They never tried Vista.  They hated it because "this magazine said so" or "I have no idea about PCs, but my friend does and they said it sucks." ... I tried it for myself, because after nearly everybody hated it, it got superinteresting for me :P And hell, I never went back to XP, because Vista was marvelous (and the most beautifull Windows ever.) Also, you can google "Windows Mojave". It was just a renamed Vista and people liked it, just because they dont knew it was Vista. xD So ... yeah, most of the "haters" have basicly no idea about anything and are just hating because they are stupid and unable to have/create an own opinion.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 2

It's sheer jealousy for me.  I wish that JRPG's or even RPG's in general could perform that well to encourage more localization.  I know RPG's like Skyrim are that big but I tend to favor the more turn based-dungeon crawling-grindy-anime type.

The only reason I would have for "hating" the games is because there isn't enough new features to each installment that I've noticed to keep me interested in playing. Plus, my experiences of playing online has been very frustrating, and then there's those underaged players who are better off muted.

But I don't actually hate the games, just personally dislike them really.

I don't hate them, but I do think criticize the fact that every year we get the same game, but a few minor improvements. It's not only CoD though, Assassin's Creed is the exact same, even worst, now that they release multiple games a year. It's a trend people hate, but people still buythe games, so the cycle continues.

I love cod, the single player modes are intense (if not all to pretty), the gameplay mechanics the best imo in the fps genre!

But the multiplayer..... Hearing 9 year olds scream obscenities all day long makes me want to stick a fork in my hand just to feel a lesser pain!... And you have to mute a new batch of pamper-wearing morons at each time-out...

So i avoid the mp more than it deserves. Sad, cause it actually is quite fun too

• Generic - Used the same game engine since 2007

• Too static; bland - Needs more intractable environments (is there even any?), should take a few pages from DICE

• Terrible community - Boasting with prepubescent, pretentious males with superiority complexes to make up for the lack of their own self-worth and to harden their e-peens

The games have always had good indulging campaigns, I'll give them that. But apart from that... I can't think of anymore pros

1. The generic bit is right and wrong at the same time. Yes the engine is pretty much the same from late 2007, but it has been modified throughout the years for better optimization for later use. 

2. DICE aren't the greatest to take notes from. Their games have come with game breaking bugs since 2013, that's not a developer I would want to follow. They make good games but the Q and A testing needs to be a lot better. Other than that, you're pretty much right about the textures used in the COD series. 

3. The community part is true but you have to remember that winning in FPS, tactics are needed and when someone messes up, it can change the tide of a match. So I can understand why the community can be a handful sometimes.

1. The generic bit is right and wrong at the same time. Yes the engine is pretty much the same from late 2007, but it has been modified throughout the years for better optimization for later use. 

2. DICE aren't the greatest to take notes from. Their games have come with game breaking bugs since 2013, that's not a developer I would want to follow. They make good games but the Q and A testing needs to be a lot better. Other than that, you're pretty much right about the textures used in the COD series. 

3. The community part is true but you have to remember that winning in FPS, tactics are needed and when someone messes up, it can change the tide of a match. So I can understand why the community can be a handful sometimes.

1. Generic sure is right, the game engine is shit. Modified or not, it's just became boring now - and is absurd. What's that? I'll shoot you in the stomach with a sniper rifle and you'll live? Yet I'll melee you in the foot and you'll die an instant death? Nice!

2. When I say Call of Duty should take a few pages from DICE, I mean the fact that the game engine is pure indubitable static in terms of environment; this is bland and boring. You want something to boost morale and to make the experience more indulging, exciting and intriguing, nothing does this better than knowing that you can blow shit up and fully interact with a well diverse environment. What's that? A camper? Let's just blow up the wall they camp behind!

3. Community still boasts of little boys who claim to have slept with people's mothers', don't know what you're getting at there

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly just play for the amazing campaign modes. Black Ops hands down has the best campaign I have played in a Call of Duty game (but Killzone 2 takes the cake for best campaign in a shooter in general). People just like to find reasons to hate, although some of the reasons are legitimate (screaming 8 year olds, lag, little variation)