How soon is too soon for a game announcement?

StormRacer872

So Telltale/Marvel (I'm not sure who said it first) just announced today that they're partnering to produce a Marvel game...

...in 2017.

This is 2015. We know that Telltale is currently working on several series', with two currently in the midst of release (GoT and TFtB). However, do we know when the other episodes are coming out for these series'? As far as I've seen, no, we don't. Telltale can't even give release dates on their current on-going series', and here they are announcing a game two years from release! 

Now, I personally think that Telltale is pretty bad with release dates. But announcing a game two years in advance is just too much for me from any studio. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but was Far Cry 4 not announced less than a year before release? I believe it was, and that's personally what I like: a year or less till release. Obviously, you want to generate some hype, but I feel that if it's too close to release, there won't be time to build up hype, and if it's too far from release, people will just forget about it till it gets closer to release, so really, what was the point of the initial announcement?

Like, I get it, you want to get the news out there, but when you announce it this early, there are definitely going to be people who forget about it. I was excited when I read they were making a game, but then reading that it wasn't until 2017 just made me think "Well, I guess I'll see more about this game towards the end of next year".

So, my question for you people is this: how far in advance is too far to announce a game, relative to its release? 

• Like 2

If you don't have a playable alpha of your game, then the game doesnt exist and you have no business telling me it does. 

Thats my opinion on the matter. Im so tired of games being announced and they are not even close to being an actual game. 

Remember "The Witness" from the PS4 reveal?! Yeah where the hell is that...Same goes for Quantum break a game announced at the reveal of Xbox One. Its just unacepptable. 

Edited by Boooda
  • Like 2

I prefer when games don't get announced until the year of their release. However, most games are doing this nonsense now, where they announce the game 2+ years in advance. And it gets on my nerves every time. Square is the absolute worst when it comes to this. They announced Kingdom Hearts III two years ago, and they didn't even have the story finalized just 6 months ago, and ended up switching engines just a few months ago. It won't be coming until late 2016 at the absolute earliest (but my bet is still on 2017).

Ideally, for me at least, a game wouldn't be announced until it's done. That way, there's absolutely no pressure from fans to get it out, and no one will know any better if it has to be delayed. They would be able to work on it until it's in complete working order with no pressure or constant backlash. It also would completely avoid the situation where a game ends up being way different than when it was originally announced, and people being butthurt about it.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 3

I prefer when games don't get announced until the year of their release. However, most games are doing this nonsense now, where they announce the game 2+ years in advance. And it gets on my nerves every time. Square is the absolute worst when it comes to this. They announced Kingdom Hearts III two years ago, and they didn't even have the story finalized just 6 months ago, and ended up switching engines just a few months ago. It won't be coming until late 2016 at the absolute earliest (but my bet is still on 2017).

Ideally, for me at least, a game wouldn't be announced until it's done. That way, there's absolutely no pressure from fans to get it out, and no one will know any better if it has to be delayed. They would be able to work on it until it's in complete working order with no pressure or constant backlash. It also would completely avoid the situation where a game ends up being way different than when it was originally announced, and people being butthurt about it.

Had to give a little standing ovation for this dood. I love Square Enix but they are terrible with release dates. I remember with FFX/X-2 HD collection they announced it in March of 2013 and said it was going to come out worldwide sometime in 2013. Well then we went months without hearing a word about the release date until they said it was releasing in winter. Winter comes still nothing then towards the end of November they finally announce that it is releasing in late December for Japan and was delayed for US until March of 2014 T_T. I know it was only a year but man that wait felt like a decade!?

• Like 2

It shouldn't be something way too soon or much too early. Only when you got something playable like an alpha or a beta to showcase, then you can start announcing the game a year or so before release. That way it will have time to build up some steam and get the news out there. But by announcing the game way to early and constantly changing things around, remember Duke Nukem Forever? That game took nearly a decade since the first announcement to finally come out.

Every game should be ready to ship 6 months after it have been announced. If it isn't ready in 6 months then it was too soon to announce it.

I feel 6 months is enough time for hype to build up for a game, but not enough time for it to become over-hyped.  

• Like 4

It feels incredibly counter-productive when they announce a game a year or two in advance. Sure, you start building the hype early and that seems great. Many people like me, however, get burnt out on the hype and end up losing interest. Even more so if I actually keep up with the coverage on it. It's gotten to the point where I don't even watch or read that stuff much any more. That said, I'd say my preferred announcement would be a year before release at most.

Edited by Merry sExmas
  • Like 1

Any day now 46.gif

This. Also Final Fantasy versus XIII. The game was announced in 2006. We are still waiting. It's even been rebranded Final Fantasy XV. 

EDIT- I see someone else also mentioned Final Fantasy above. Guess I was a little late to that. But still.

Edited by xKrAzY_8sx

I'm all for announcing a game within a year of release. I think most companies announce early to generate hype and preorders. Square is just absurd, most of their games are announced an average of 3 years before release.

In addition to the games mentioned above, anyone remember Cyberpunk 2077? That was announced by CD Projekt Red two years ago and there hasn't been anything about it since its E3 2013 trailer debut. And with the now announced Witcher 3 expansions, I don't see that game coming out until late 2016 at the earliest.

• Like 2

Cyberpunk 2077 was revealed in October 2012 (correct me if I'm wrong)......................its been nearly 3 years now and we don't even get to see its gameplay......

They also said that they won't talk about Cyberpunk or show anymore footage until after The Witcher 3 is released.

I with the Cyberpunk 2077 mob on this one, great trailer...then nothing!   A bit like Prey 2, another great trailer, especially with that Johnny Cash music!   The latter is dead as far as I know, Cyberpunk?  Who knows!   The Last Guardian...I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't know how much the console giants themselves are to blame, but I'd imagine there's some pressure to 'show' upcoming titles, when perhaps the actual studios are extremely far away from realising their vision.   I'm still waiting for Toy Soldiers: War Chest that I thought was supposed to be out by now, also Source, that Resogun/Flower looking game that piqued my interest...where's that?! Lol

It is annoying, I can accept unforeseen delays etc..., but to announce a game that is nothing more than paper plans and a cobbled together trailer/teaser...not too clever if you ask me, and fans do get fed-up.

I enjoy Telltale games, and aside the early announcement of yet another game, I wish they'd pay attention to some of the franchises they've already started, specifically TWAU season 2...if it's ever going to happen.   I'm surprised there's no new Jurassic Park game considering the upcoming movie, or a Star Wars spin-off...   There's a Minecraft game too isn't there?  

For movies, I would prefer hearing nothing until 6 months or less, but for games I don't want to hear about it at all.  I mean I do, but like 3 weeks in advance is plenty for me.  I just can't stand years, or even just a few months of hype.  Speaking of Marvel, anyone psyched for the Avengers Infinity War in 2018 and 2019?  Only 4 more years guys!  To hell with that.  I wish they'd never rolled out their entire plan.  By the time these movies come out, we'll all be sick of hearing about them.

Edited by Matto_lsi

I wouldn't class this as a "game announcement". There's no game yet. Announcing that you're working on a project is not the same as announcing the project is or will shortly be released.

In general, I don't have a problem with game companies making announcements. They can do as they like. The ones with publishers are usually supported by sophisticated marketing departments who (the publisher's hope) know what they're doing.

I'd worry more about the type of announcement they make rather than when its made. Case in point, Evolve. Sorry, but someone at 2K should have realised that announcing the game with not so much as a screenshot, but "Hey, please pre-order and don't forget to get a season pass" was probably going to divide opinion from the very start.

• Like 1

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with this announcement. It's just Telltale announcing another partnership, one that I'll be looking forward to more than their Mojang or Lionsgate one.

Also, I'm still holding out for Agent. It's coming...I-I just know it is. They can't say they're grooming it to be the next GTA and not give it to us, though 8 years with only one 'leak' and a trademark renewal isn't exactly ideal.

Edited by TriggerTortoise