Losing interest in gaming

TekkenKing10

Hey amigos!

Do you ever lose interest in gaming when you are unhappy with your current situation in life?

I'm asking because I'm having some trouble with my GF currently, and since then I almost lost complete interest in gaming. I can't focuse on anything and I can't play for long hours at all. Unconciously, I'm feeling that I'm wasting my time. I just can't have fun anymore...

Can anyone relate?

• Like 4

Many times actually. School, trying to get a job/failing to get a job (just got denied one today actually), other personal worries in my mind. Gaming just helps me calm down from it, but I can see it happen when I'm just not in the mood to play anything.

Then, I'll just either watch something on Netflix, use my computer and do some websurfing, use youtube on my iPod, or just start up Super Smash Bros Melee and let 4 Computer Players kill each other while I go do something else.

• Like 2

Last year was pretty painful for me since so many games just released unfinished or broken, so I had times where I felt the same. The good thing is a ton of great games are finally releasing this year and next year, the Witcher 3 just released and Batman Arkham Knight releases on the 23rd, and so on.

If it's just games in general that you're bored of then I'd say to try to play something different or a game you haven't played in a very long time. I avoided a number of first person shooters last year because I was just tired of them. My favorite games last year were Minecraft and Driveclub because they were the sort of games I just haven't played in a very long time, they were just so relaxing, different, and fun! Maybe try something like Shovel Knight or something really different that you still think you'd like. If you play PC games, maybe try Cities: Skylines, Lego Worlds, Ark Survival Evolved, or other different games like that.

If you've been going after trophies for years and aren't enjoying the way you do that then maybe try to play your games differently. Maybe try putting in a good game you haven't played yet, don't look at the trophy list, and just play the crap out of it, enjoy it, and get drawn into that games universe and worry about the trophies later.

Basically, there's a lot of different ways to go about it! Change it up if you're bored, do things that are new and different as this industry is filled with a lot of new and different games like you've never played before. I would probably say it was just 2014 with its list of mediocre games that did this (as it seemed to do it to a lot of people), glad that seems to be behind us though :P

Edited by BlindMango

No BlindMango, you're missing the point I'm trying to bring across.

It's like this: When something really bothers me in my life, I can't enjoy gaming (and some other things) anymore. I'm the kind of person who thinks a lot, there is a lot going on up there, I simply can not relax.

It has nothing to do with getting bored of certain games!

• Like 1

No BlindMango, you're missing the point I'm trying to bring across.

It's like this: When something really bothers me in my life, I can't enjoy gaming (and some other things) anymore. I'm the kind of person who thinks a lot, there is a lot going on up there, I simply can not relax.

Ah I see, hmm for me one thing I do to focus on gaming if something is bothering me (or if I'm doing a lot of grinding for a trophy) is listening to things like podcasts, especially the funny ones that make me laugh a lot. :P There's great gaming related ones like podcast Beyond, the Rooster Teeth podcast, the Official PlayStation Blogcast, and so on. Sometimes podcasts are video recorded too (the first two I listed are) if that's more your thing. Ah, nothing makes me happier than a hilarious hour long podcast to listen to :)

Sorry if I keep sort of going off track too! I understand what you mean and I've also not been able to relax when thinking a lot sometimes, so yes I can relate too, I guess I'm just trying to throw some suggestions out there for you that personally helped for me ;)

Edited by BlindMango

Hey amigos!

Do you ever lose interest in gaming when you are unhappy with your current situation in life?

I'm asking because I'm having some trouble with my GF currently, and since then I almost lost complete interest in gaming. I can't focuse on anything and I can't play for long hours at all. Unconciously, I'm feeling that I'm wasting my time. I just can't have fun anymore...

Can anyone relate?

Yes, this was happening to me earlier this year. I was unhappy with myself and at the same time I kinda lost interest in gaming. I did bounce back from that feeling and now feel better.

I did go on a 1 year hiatus from gaming because of college and you must know very well how that hurts profoundly as an avid gamer. Anyway, My advice to you is that you should find the balance in life and most importantly, a time wasted in having fun is never a wasted time keep that in mind. 

Aw... HEEEAL YEAH.

Ever since I got switched positions at my job roughly a year ago to something with a lot more responsibility, and stress, and not enough more money to make it worth it... I just haven't been able to appreciate games like I used to.  I'll sit down for maybe a half hour, here or there, and try to accomplish something... but it seems like every game I pick up in the last... well, year... is some sprawling 50-100 hour open world epic.

The Witcher 3, GTA V, Dying Light, Infamous Second Son, Ni no Kuni, Sleeping Dogs.  Okay... so sprawling epic may be a bit of an exaggeration, but they're all open world games that just feel downright aimless in the short half hour spurts I've been playing in.  I did manage to plat The Order 1886 at least.

And it's not even that my job keeps me too preoccupied.  I just hate it. xD  So most evenings when I could be gaming, I decide to try and sleep early or put on a movie or a stand up special or something.  Movies and TV shows are just easier when I'm stressed.  The last thing I need is some 12 year old scoring goals on me in NHL 14 and taunting his stupid little ass off.  Or spending my half hour dying in The Witcher 3 and waiting through 5 minute loading screens.

tl;dr... I know exactly what you mean.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

That happens with me too. I even feel I'm going through it at the moment, not that I am unhappy but I just can't get into "new" games. I play them for like an hour and drop them and go back to Final Fantasy XIV. In a way, that feels like I'm losing interest as I only care about one game. I'm not even as hyped about E3 this year which seems weird.

Well, first I'm sorry to hear that about your cousin, Condemned. You have my deepest condolences. 

Gaming for me, I don't believe that I've ever lost interest in gaming, no matter what happens to me in life. To me gaming is as natural as breathing. It's quite literally a part of me, I think. It's silly to hear, I'm sure. But that's the only way I feel I can describe it. I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember, and if I could see into the far future, I could almost guarantee that I'd see my old, withered self still playing video games.

• Like 2

I can understand where you're coming from, though I can't relate. I'm a big thinker, as well, and have made myself depressed just with my thoughts when I'm not feeling at my best. In those situations, however, I find gaming very helpful. When my father died-many, many years ago-I had my cousin with me for a week and we just played games. Same with the dog I've known for 13+ years. I didn't want to think about it, so I put on a game. One with enough action will always distract my mind.

You just need some time. Different things work for different people, so maybe a break from gaming would be ideal if you're not having fun. Though there is no shame in having fun, 'specially if something is going on that you can't at that given moment do anything about. Thinking is good. Distractions are good. Emotions are good. Whatever works.

• Like 1

Can definitely relate, went through a lot of shit things last year and didn't play much of anything.

Hopefully your situation improves and you'll get the urge to play games again. Til then just gotta push through the shit.

This is completely normal if you're going through a hard time. I've had multiple situations where it has effected my mood and made me uninterested in all the stuff I enjoyed doing.

Take some time off with your gaming and focus on what needs to be repaired, that's what I did and now I'm back to myself happy than ever.

Hey man, hang in there, I am sure it will all work it self out.

I'm sort of coming from a different angle. I have never really been a gamer and find it hard to play more than a one hour session without feelin anxious about wasting time / productivity blah,blah, the reason why I'm trying to get into this is to relax more, but at presents all I have achieved is short gaming sessions and buying a shitload more games so hopefully I get there :)

tumblr_inline_nf9q2y1eBo1stgqc7.gif

Well yeah from time to time. It's mostly figuring out what to do in my life. Sometimes gaming distracts me from getting things done or from important things in my life and I have to take a break to reorient myself. It gives me time to think and actually assess my situation so I feel that it's a completely normal thing to go through.  

^ This, pretty much what's going on with me right now. Video games are weird for me because it's no doubt something I love, a hobby I guess, but it also can become a distraction and a hindrance in life. Right now I'm in an critical phase of my life, which I don't dive into here, but basically I need to get the things I really need to get done and get my real self together.

It's weird, because some people need a break from the real world, and then others like me need a break from the virtual world.

All about balance I guess.

Absolutely... Nothing like losing something important to put in perspective what isn't. And despite all the hours I've spent with a controller or mouse in hand, video games are not what's important, especially compared to people. A lot of people use gaming as a coping mechanism, but SOMETIMES it's worth it to stop just coping and take that fuckin' hit. Some things should hurt. Either things will work out with her or they won't... One option may take longer to recover from, but either way, you WILL come to a point where you'll begin to function like you used to and your games will still be there when you're ready.

Wait, maybe I don't understand it right: you feel bad because because you can't enjoy game when something bothers you???? Hmm, I'm like you in that "person who think a lot" part, and even when sometimes I feel stressed and try to play something to distract myself, I never think that just because I turn on my gaming device I'm going to have a great time. If I feel that I enjoying it I continue otherwise I stop and do another thing.

So, you don't have to take gaming like an escape, in one hand because people who think a lot cannot trick themselves with those false solutions and in the other hand, even if you're not that analytical just running a game does not assure that your motivation, enthusiasm will be greatly boosted.

I hope you can resolve your problems so you can really enjoy your hobbies again. :)

Hey amigos!

I'm asking because I'm having some trouble with my GF currently, and since then I almost lost complete interest in gaming. I can't focuse on anything and I can't play for long hours at all. Unconciously, I'm feeling that I'm wasting my time. I just can't hav

e fun anymore...

Can anyone relate?

Actually I know exactly how you feel, I actually have slowed down in gaming, considerably. its mostly due because im focusing way too much in my lack of life accomplishments, not so much for not achieving them, but for not trying to. It sucks not being able to enjoy a game, or buying a game puting only a few hours in it and then shelving it. I was in the same situation when I broke up with my 2nd last GF in 2012 who I was with for 5 year. too many things mess with your head and everything seems pointless and a waste of time. All I can really tell you is give it time, as time is the only thing that heals. (corny I know, but its true.)

i know the feeling, the last few months have been pretty rough on me. Dropped out of college and haven't been able to find a job. I could barely play video games let alone trophy hunt. I found that playing those few games im nostagic for help cure my blues!