National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

1 hour ago, Conker said:

well another tie, Vikings might wanna think about a new kicker after there rookie missed 3 including a 35fg for winner in OT.

Dan Bailey anyone??

i say the Browns need a kicker more tbh

Also https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Vontae-Davis-reportedly-retired-Bills-cornerback-Chargers-loss-121992680/

Edited by Oowa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

I'm still holding reservations about Mohomes until he's on his second season as a starter. It's not uncommon for a new qb to start off strong but have a fall off after teams become more acquainted with his style

I'm not ready to put him in the HOF or anything but I have never been this excited at the QB position for the Chiefs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Conker said:

well another tie, Vikings might wanna think about a new kicker after there rookie missed 3 including a 35fg for winner in OT.

Dan Bailey anyone??

Dude didn't miss 3 FG's, he shanked the shit out of them. They weren't even close. As soon as they left his foot, everyone knew. Congrats Carlson, you'll be an obscure trivia question in years to come. Vikes Front Office, call Kai Forbath, call Dan Bailey, call Fuad Reveiz, call Donald Igwebuke, ANYONE will be better than this rookie. 

Edited by PerryToxteth

2 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Dude didn't miss 3 FG's, he shanked the shit out of them. They weren't even close. As soon as they left his foot, everyone knew. Congrats Carlson, you'll be an obscure trivia question in years to come. Vikes Front Office, call Kai Forbath, call Dan Bailey, call Fuad Reveiz, call Donald Igwebuke, ANYONE will be better than this rookie. 

Feel kinda bad for the guy but you just knew that he certainly wasn't going to have a job tomorrow when he put on a performance like that. Guy probably cleaned out his locker as soon as the game ended

4 hours ago, majob said:

Apparently Vontae Davis just up and quit the Bills during halftime.

4 hours ago, Rottenbeard said:

Can they do that?  I suppose they can.

Personally, I think it's bush league.  And I hope the Buffalo Bills go after every penny of his signing bonus the way Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders had to pay chunks of theirs back when they retired.  (At least the latter two did it in the off-season, and not at halftime.)

Sure, he was having a bad day/week/year and not playing up to whatever standards he holds for himself.  It's still a shitty move to quit in the middle of a job like that.  And for many/most of us mere mortals, there would be some consequences to doing so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Splathew said:

I'm not ready to put him in the HOF or anything but I have never been this excited at the QB position for the Chiefs.

DUDE! It's their entire offense. Best thing I've seen since "the fastest thing on turf".

The betting public is used to seeing KC AND Andy Reid under-perform in the playoffs.......will this year be different?

• Like 2

Just now, PerryToxteth said:

It's official, Vikings switch kickers by signing Dan Bailey and cutting Ray Finkle.

I said it during overtime: if the only thing to come out of this game is that we sign Dan Bailey, I'm okay with a loss. The tie is like a bonus. Cousins looked fantastic out there, and we forced an "injured" Rodgers to play an extra quarter, in Green Bay.

Hopefully things are looking up...

Meanwhile, my boy Mahomes continues to shine, the Bucs came through with that upset, and the Browns... Dammit, the Browns... I BELIEVED in you guys. How many kickers are going to shatter my heart?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, acasser said:

It's still a shitty move to quit in the middle of a job like that.  And for many/most of us mere mortals, there would be some consequences to doing so.

Not entirely true given the fact employment in the US by and large is on an at will basis, meaning employers/employees can terminate their relationship with each other at any point in time. 

Not applicable in Vontae's case given the contract mind you, but still, if he doesn't want to play anymore I certainly won't force him too. Should he have retired after the game? Probably, but I'm not him and I don't know his current state of mind, so I'll hold off on judgment. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Not entirely true given the fact employment in the US by and large is on an at will basis, meaning employers/employees can terminate their relationship with each other at any point in time. 

Not applicable in Vontae's case given the contract mind you, but still, if he doesn't want to play anymore I certainly won't force him too. Should he have retired after the game? Probably, but I'm not him and I don't know his current state of mind, so I'll hold off on judgment. 

I gotta agree.

It did sound like Vontae up and quit on his team, but when the media finally talked to him, he said he physically couldn't do it anymore. For as much damage and danger that NFL players put themselves in every week, if he knows his body can't perform at a top level, then no need to continue to take risks. He was in the league for 10 years so he knows what it takes to be NFL caliber. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

No K.J., no Baldwin and now no Wagner as well huh... gotta feeling tonight's the night the Bears' offense "finds it".  Gonna be a tough one to watch if you're a Seahawks fan.

That was tough to watch as ANY fan. The end score is very misleading. That was a dreadfully boring game.

I hate to say it, but I think the Bears are going to be a serious threat in the NFC this year. Even if they are average on offense, their defense can more than make up for it. Similar blueprint to the LOB-era 'hawks.

Well, I got tickets to the Jets/Browns game, but nobody wants to go with me. Guess I'll go eat worms...

1 minute ago, Cassylvania said:

That was tough to watch as ANY fan. The end score is very misleading. That was a dreadfully boring game.

I hate to say it, but I think the Bears are going to be a serious threat in the NFC this year. Even if they are average on offense, their defense can more than make up for it. Similar blueprint to the LOB-era 'hawks.

Well, I got tickets to the Jets/Browns game, but nobody wants to go with me. Guess I'll go eat worms...

Yeah, tough to watch unless you had money on Chicago (like me). Frankly, I thought that the Dallas vs. NYG game was far more tedious.  Even with me picking DAL.

Hell, I'd go but the airplane tickets would be too much for me. As bad as the Browns have been, you gotta love their loyal fan base. Imagine what the scene would be like if the Browns happen to pull off a win.

• Like 1

I'm seriously starting to lose faith in Carroll.  The game is evolving and he isn't, his single-mindedness is making the team predictable and every season they look worse and worse.  I get it, opening two games on the road... again, a bunch of starters out hurt... again, those are legit reasons for a team to lose.  BUT!!  The script is starting to look awfully familiar. 

-The painfully slow starts.  We always hear him yelling "you can't win a game in the 1st quarter", BUT!!  You can be so unbelievably awful on offense for the first half that you've dug a hole that's all but impossible to get out of.

-The penalties on top of penalties.  Bears started the game on the 4 yard line, and before they actually ran a play, they were on the 24 yard line.

-1st down, run for 1 or 2 yards, 2nd down, run for 1 or 2 yards, 3rd down incomplete pass, punt.  That's the first half on offense for every game.  31 games in a row now without an opening drive TD, wonder why?

Seems like every possible coach (save one) was replaced going into this year yet the problems are identical to last year and there's only one common denominator left.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm seriously starting to lose faith in Carroll.  The game is evolving and he isn't, his single-mindedness is making the team predictable and every season they look worse and worse.  I get it, opening two games on the road... again, a bunch of starters out hurt... again, those are legit reasons for a team to lose.  BUT!!  The script is starting to look awfully familiar. 

-The painfully slow starts.  We always hear him yelling "you can't win a game in the 1st quarter", BUT!!  You can be so unbelievably awful on offense for the first half that you've dug a hole that's all but impossible to get out of.

-The penalties on top of penalties.  Bears started the game on the 4 yard line, and before they actually ran a play, they were on the 24 yard line.

-1st down, run for 1 or 2 yards, 2nd down, run for 1 or 2 yards, 3rd down incomplete pass, punt.  That's the first half on offense for every game.  31 games in a row now without an opening drive TD, wonder why?

Seems like every possible coach (save one) was replaced going into this year yet the problems are identical to last year and there's only one common denominator left.

I think we will see if Carroll is a great coach if he can adapt his style of play to his current team. Last night I saw an O line that is truly terrible. So can Carroll adapt his scheme and get the ball moving with misdirections, dump-offs, Wilson rolling out of the pocket, etc.? It reminds me of the 2016 Vikes, which had an abysmal line. Cardboard cut-outs of Randall McDaniel could've blocked better than those guys. Yet, Schurmer was able to get some yards with quick hits, counter plays, etc. It wasn't stellar, but it kept us in some games and Bradford was made to look decent.

So can Carroll adapt? We shall see...good luck! 

7 hours ago, Conker said:

How many WR moves do they wanna do, 100 xD 

For Gordon's sake i hope he can do well and have no more issues 

Bring him over! Send us your suspended, damaged, and troubled players. He will either adapt to the system and give us great productivity for an underwhelming receiving core or he will act a fool and be out on the streets. May the odds be ever in his favor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SebGamer93 said:

People had the Dolphins as the worst team in the league, especially ESPN and Bleacher Report, and now they could potentially be 3-0 with a winnable game against Oakland at home next Sunday. 

And they haven't even played the Bills (who are the REAL worst team in the league) yet. They got some tough games later on, but Miami has a very good chance of winning double digit games this year.

Between all the good, bad, and ridiculously weird stats over the weekend, this one sticks out to me the most: Bradford threw for 90 yards...on 27 attempts. That is the most putrid number I've seen for a QB not named Peterman in the last two years. And I say this as someone who has defended the guy time and time again.

Gordon got the best possible deal he could. If Belichick can't turn him around, no one can.