National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

My condolences to Tampa.  Bruce Arians and Todd Bowles to pair with Jameis the Rapist?  That's not a tale that's going to end well for any of those parties or their General Manager.

Though I suppose it could be worse.... like the New York Giants of 2017 worse, with 37-year old Eli Manning and Ben McAdoo and Jerry Reese.  That was a horror show all its own.

• Like 1

Bucs hired Bruce Arians on a four year deal with a fifth year option.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007928/article/buccaneers-hire-bruce-arians-as-next-head-coach

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bruce-arians-named-buccaneers-new-head-coach

And I'm guessing all home team wins this weekend.

Edited by MidnightDragon

Well so Kliff Kingsbury was fired from Texas Tech and now is head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, what a world xD, but if he can do what he has previously done with qbs at Texas tech with Josh Rosen then Arizona are in for some fun and oh btw USC now need to search again for a offensive co-ordinator 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715541/arizona-cardinals-hire-kliff-kingsbury

Oh, right. I need to adjust my shitty picks, since I went 1-3 last weekend. (Although I was pretty close to how all of them would play out, if you just swap the teams around.)

All the home teams advance, except the Rams, because we can't let the NFL have its way.

Edited by Cassylvania

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Well so Kliff Kingsbury was fired from Texas Tech and now is head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, what a world xD, but if he can do what he has previously done with qbs at Texas tech with Josh Rosen then Arizona are in for some fun and oh btw USC now need to search again for a offensive co-ordinator 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715541/arizona-cardinals-hire-kliff-kingsbury

yeah and he gets hired after finishing with a 35-40 record while Steve Wilks was made to be a scapegoat and only got 1 season!?? Bullshit man, that's why Arizona sucks right now. 

I thought the Jets were gonna hire McCarthy, but insiders say it'll be the ex-Dolphins coach Adam Gase...wha?!

In other coaching news, Browns promoted OC Freddie Kitchens to head coach, Gregg Williams is out: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009178/article/browns-promote-freddie-kitchens-to-head-coach

Broncos plan to hire Vic Fangio. Gary Kubiak is said to return as OC. I hope his health has improved enough that he can: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009180/article/broncos-expected-to-hire-vic-fangio-as-head-coach

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

Not sure I agree with this move. 

I think Williams might be a modern day equivalent to Buddy Ryan. A great defensive mind but not built for handling the head coaching rigors. Both could rally players behind them but aren't the best at public and press relations. 

7 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I think Williams might be a modern day equivalent to Buddy Ryan. A great defensive mind but not built for handling the head coaching rigors. Both could rally players behind them but aren't the best at public and press relations. 

Ain't got shit to do with coaching a football team as far as I'm concerned. Browns could have potentially won their division with Williams as their head coach, and I say this as a person who doesn't like Gregg on a personal level at all. 

12 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I thought the Jets were gonna hire McCarthy, but insiders say it'll be the ex-Dolphins coach Adam Gase...wha?!

Yeah, this switcheroo caught me off-guard as well.  I figure it has to be one of two things for this to have changed, especially this quickly:

• Gase blew away Mike McCagnan and the backup Owner in his interviews.
  • Mike McCarthy wanted too much money and/or too much power.  If it was the latter, McCagnan isn't giving up his power and Ownership has already stated that the Coach and the GM are co-equals, each reporting to Ownership.

My reaction?  Eh, whatever.  I'm not wild about Adam Gase, although he's supposedly a "quarterback whisperer" and that's supposed to be important at this point in time.  I wasn't crazy about Mike McCarthy because he's a chickenshit coach who never met a kicking situation he didn't like and the Jets just had one of those.

At least it's a hire with previous NFL head coaching experience, something the Jets haven't had since Bill Parcells (unless you want the one-day tenure of Belichick's second stint as Jets HC to count, not that BB's first tenure in the job was particularly long or noteworthy).  And it's a hire with an offensive background, something the Jets haven't had since Pete Carroll was fired and Ray Kotite hired.

And there's talk that Gregg Williams may be coming in to coach up the defense.  I agree with the opinions expressed above:  good coach, terrible person.  But after years of misery as a Jets fan, I can live with that if the results are there.

My friend at work is a chiefs fan, and I am a colts fan. Neither one of us were comfortable enough to put up a bet for the game tomorrow. I told him I was glad that the colts made the playoffs at all this year and feel like we are just playing with house money right now. They are playing their best football right now, but outside of the Texans, Titans, and Cowboys, they haven't really beaten anyone good down the stretch that instills confidence in them. 

The only way I can imagine the colts winning is by takeaways or through Marlon Mack. The colts typically play a zone defense which is pretty vulnerable to a high octane, fast paced offense like the chiefs. I'm sure the chiefs are aware of this too. I don't think we'll be surprising them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That said, really looking forward to the first game on the slate. Anybody else foreseeing 40+ points from both teams

Normally I'd agree but they are forecasting 3-5 inches of snow so we'll have to see how sloppy it is. Usually snow favors the offense but it may not be the shootout we were expecting. I'm thinking we'll see more of Mack and Williams/Ware. Should be fun to watch though ?