cmgravekeeper

National Football League Thread

5,819 posts in this topic

The strength of Janikowski's leg was a game-changer for a long time.  Oakland could do things (or seriously think about them) that other teams couldn't reasonably consider because they had that particular option.  We've seen how teams change their play-calling in certain areas of the field depending on game situation and what kind of kicker they have.  Or even their punter -- recall that in addition to drafting Janikowski in the 1st round, the Raiders selected Shane Lechler in the 4th round that year and he was also top-of-the-League good at his position for a long while.

 

Justin Tucker has been very reliable for close to a decade, and there's significant value in that.  But Sebastian Janikowski has (had?) a ridiculously powerful leg and that's an even rarer creature.  They're both elite kickers and one could argue for either or both to be in the Hall of Fame, not that the HoF cares much for special teams players over the glory boy positions.  But if I had to pick one, I'm taking Janikowski every day of the week and twice on Sundays because he was more unique and more of a game-changer.  But they're both worthy.

 

....

 

While I'm thinking about it, on another topic.... the NFL seems hell-bent on releasing their schedule this week.  We know Kansas City is going to host the Thursday night season opener.  But food for thought:

 

Does anybody care to wager against Tampa-New Orleans being one of the prime-time games for the first weekend, more likely than not the NBC game on Sunday night?  Not sure which site the League would offer up for that contest, but Brady-Brees is the sort of overhype that the networks love to have and Fox can't use their nullification rights to hold on to both matchups.  (They can block one from being moved, but only one.)

 

I also suspect the Vegas home opener will be the back half of the ESPN doubleheader on Week 1 Monday night, but that's small potatoes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 10:50 PM, PerryToxteth said:

 

 

This is what happen when the world sports scene shuts down - an argument over kickers.:P

 

I'd say they're both among the greats at their position. Back to the question on Janikowski, OAK and Al Davis were widely ridiculed for taking him in the first round.  Looking back, it really paid off by securing their kicker for 16 years. And most NFL teams would gladly take security at that spot for a decade and a half. 

As a Lions fan, there were times where the Kicker was literally the only decent player on the team after Barry retired. There was a point where people seriously came  to games just to see Jason Hanson.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I hear right they're getting rid of the PI replays or something like that? 😂

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Did I hear right they're getting rid of the PI replays or something like that? 1f602.png

Official word is that it's "unlikely" to be extended

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Did I hear right they're getting rid of the PI replays or something like that? 1f602.png


As expected what a debacle that was.  Talk about a knee-jerk reaction.  Yes, they missed the PI in the Rams/Saints game but it is a subjective call.  Reviewing PI makes no more sense than reviewing offensive holding,  Good luck coming to a common agreement.

 

The NFL can’t get out of its way sometimes.  They made a mockery of the whole “completing the catch” interpretation for years until they finally came to their senses.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, djb5f said:


As expected what a debacle that was.  Talk about a knee-jerk reaction.  Yes, they missed the PI in the Rams/Saints game but it is a subjective call.  Reviewing PI makes no more sense than reviewing offensive holding,  Good luck coming to a common agreement.

 

The NFL can’t get out of its way sometimes.  They made a mockery of the whole “completing the catch” interpretation for years until they finally came to their senses.

It was all about looking like they made an effort considering they're at a point where their public image is at an all time low. Knee jerk appeal over an entire salty state where the NFL has a large presence was inevitable

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2020 at 9:50 PM, PerryToxteth said:

I'd say they're both among the greats at their position. Back to the question on Janikowski, OAK and Al Davis were widely ridiculed for taking him in the first round.  Looking back, it really paid off by securing their kicker for 16 years. And most NFL teams would gladly take security at that spot for a decade and a half. 

 

Meh. I still mock him for it. But given the off-the-rails instability of the Raiders in Al's final years, I suppose one bedrock piece is better than none, even if it's at kicker.

 

22 hours ago, djb5f said:

The NFL can’t get out of its way sometimes.  They made a mockery of the whole “completing the catch” interpretation for years until they finally came to their senses.

 

Who could ever forget "the process of catch"?!?

 

Ummm, everyone.

Edited by starcrunch061
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 3:53 PM, starcrunch061 said:

 

Meh. I still mock him for it. But given the off-the-rails instability of the Raiders in Al's final years, I suppose one bedrock piece is better than none, even if it's at kicker.

 

 

Who could ever forget "the process of catch"?!?

 

Ummm, everyone.

What constitute a catch now, with the new rules?

 

I remember the big debacle years ago and i am utterly confused on what the rules are now. But my opinion is still the same, any change of rules that involves more judgement from the zebras is bad.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, Maverick6146 said:

What constitute a catch now, with the new rules?

 

I remember the big debacle years ago and i am utterly confused on what the rules are now. But my opinion is still the same, any change of rules that involves more judgement from the zebras is bad.

Zebras in general are bad

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 5/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, majob said:

Zebras in general are bad


It’s completely the nfl’s fault, though. They don’t want to pay them, so they keep adding rule changes to cover up their ineptitude, and keep fining anyone that might criticize them.
 

As far as the rules for a catch, I honestly don’t know. I will never forget, though, the CalvinJohnson no-catch (which predates all of this, and really got the ball rolling on all of these stupid rules). Horrible call that should simply have been ruled a terrible official error, but instead gets new rules put into place.

Edited by starcrunch061
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

 

Yuck.

It's not a bad signing I mean yeah he hasn't been great for the last few seasons but nobody knows if he's going to start for them or be a backup but if anybody can get anything out of him it's probably gonna be Belichick and if not it's not like they broke the bank for him it's risk free for that Pats at this moment in time and this is coming from a Giants fan.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

it's not like they broke the bank for him

 

The Patriots don't have the salary cap space to break the bank, for him or for anyone.

 

Depending on the structure and likelihood of those bonuses as defined by the NFL's definitions of those terms, the Patriots might even have to make some cuts or re-structures just to get the contract in under the cap ceiling.  Or get the guy they Franchise Tagged signed to a long-term deal (with a lower first-year cap number than the tag number) in order to manufacture some space.

 

And all this presumes we're going to have an NFL season.  Given the issues the NHL is having right now, and the potential for the NBA to go sideways, I think there's good reason to doubt the NFL being able to go.  Because contract sports and sports with many guys in close confines during the game are just begging to be labeled incubators for COVID-19 and therefore shut down on account of the resurgence of the virus.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

It's not a bad signing I mean yeah he hasn't been great for the last few seasons but nobody knows if he's going to start for them or be a backup but if anybody can get anything out of him it's probably gonna be Belichick and if not it's not like they broke the bank for him it's risk free for that Pats at this moment in time and this is coming from a Giants fan.

 

Much to Richard Sherman's dismay lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acasser said:

 

The Patriots don't have the salary cap space to break the bank, for him or for anyone.

 

Depending on the structure and likelihood of those bonuses as defined by the NFL's definitions of those terms, the Patriots might even have to make some cuts or re-structures just to get the contract in under the cap ceiling.  Or get the guy they Franchise Tagged signed to a long-term deal (with a lower first-year cap number than the tag number) in order to manufacture some space.

 

And all this presumes we're going to have an NFL season.  Given the issues the NHL is having right now, and the potential for the NBA to go sideways, I think there's good reason to doubt the NFL being able to go.  Because contract sports and sports with many guys in close confines during the game are just begging to be labeled incubators for COVID-19 and therefore shut down on account of the resurgence of the virus.

Yeah those are some good point actually but I guess we can only wait and see on how it all plays out with his contract, but yeah I've been seriously doubting recently that we'll even have a season unfortunately and if we do it won't be until late Oct when it starts.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, acasser said:

 

Bellicheck is pretty well known for being able to sign high profile players under cap. When a star joins the Patriots this late into their career, it's more often than not because they want a ring and the Patriots are your best shot at one before you retire. I can easily see Cam as just an insurance while the team finds the new heir to Brady and he won't mind as long as he gets to flash the hardware when his times up

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boy Patrick Mahomes just signed a FAT extension adding 10 years to a remaining 2. Chiefs lock him down for next 12 years for, reportedly OVER 400 million. Worth every cent.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, D-Square23 said:

My boy Patrick Mahomes just signed a FAT extension adding 10 years to a remaining 2. Chiefs lock him down for next 12 years for, reportedly OVER 400 million. Worth every cent.

Wow that Mahomes contract is insane apparently he can make $503 million from it in 10 years, he's one hell of a player now imagine how good he could become, I hope he continues to do it because he's just so good to watch.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.