National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Pederson claimed he was playing to win. Bullshit. Intentional or not, he threw the game. He should be fired, but doubt he will be.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30648412/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-says-was-coaching-win-washington-wanted-get-nate-sudfeld-some-reps?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's happened a lot. 

Since the league switched to 4 divisions (02 season) it's happened 7 times: '06 NFC East, '07 AFC South, '07 NFC East, '11 AFC North, '13 AFC West, '14 AFC North, '17 NFC South

Before that it happened a lot more often cause there were only 3 divisions from '90-'02 and 3 wildcard teams, so not only did 3 teams from a division make it often, but in '94 and '97 4 teams from the NFC Central made it.

However, never have all the teams from a single division made it, but only because before this year it just wasn't possible.  I was hoping to see it this year, but it didn't happen.  Maybe next year!

Woah, definitely more than once lol. 

Why is what the Eagles did so wrong, but nobody says boo about teams like Pittsburgh doing the exact same thing?

Some history:  Rex Ryan was a rookie Head Coach with the Jets in 2009 when NBC flexed Bengals-Jets into the Sunday Night slot for Week 17 of the season.  Cincinnati had already clinched their division; the Jets were in a "win and you're in, lose and you're out" situation.  The Bengals sent their practice squad to Giants Stadium (final game in the history of that building) that night and get crushed by a 37-0 final because they didn't care and the Jets did.

(The Jets would go to Cincinnati the next week and beat the Bengals, then to San Diego to beat the Chargers, only to lose to Peyton Manning and the Colts in the AFC Title Game; the 14-2 Colts -- who lost their final two regular season games -- would lose to the 13-3 Saints -- who lost their final three -- in the Super Bowl.)

After that particular debacle, the NFL changed the scheduling matrix so that Week 17 was all Divisional play.  The idea being that rivalries would be important enough for teams to not mail in a Week 17 game they felt was meaningless even if there were playoff implications.

That's worked really well.  Because the NFL didn't do anything other than change the schedule; if there were consequences for mailing it in and those consequences were enforced by the League and had some teeth, maybe things like this wouldn't happen.

15 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

9ers fans, Garapollo's contract is in cut-and-it-doesn't-hurt mode now that 2020's over so... yay or nay on him returning next season?

With Garoppolo: 24-9

With backups: 7-27

Why should I stick with the losers?

The elite QBs are all locked (Mahomes, Rodgers, Jackson), same with the "old guard" (Brady, Brees, Big Ben) and the really good (Allen). The only one I will take gladly is Watson, but I don't think he's cheap on price...

• Like 1

Drew Brees is going to retire after the season and start playing television pundit.  Part of it is an age and skill decline thing, but it's also because New Orleans is already $100 million over the cap for next season and there isn't a reasonable way for Mickey Loomis to kick that can any further down the road.  This incarnation of the Saints is done, and it wouldn't shock me to see Sean Payton find an escape hatch as well.

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Pederson claimed he was playing to win. Bullshit. Intentional or not, he threw the game. He should be fired, but doubt he will be.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30648412/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-says-was-coaching-win-washington-wanted-get-nate-sudfeld-some-reps?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

5 hours ago, acasser said:

Why is what the Eagles did so wrong, but nobody says boo about teams like Pittsburgh doing the exact same thing?

Some history:  Rex Ryan was a rookie Head Coach with the Jets in 2009 when NBC flexed Bengals-Jets into the Sunday Night slot for Week 17 of the season.  Cincinnati had already clinched their division; the Jets were in a "win and you're in, lose and you're out" situation.  The Bengals sent their practice squad to Giants Stadium (final game in the history of that building) that night and get crushed by a 37-0 final because they didn't care and the Jets did.

(The Jets would go to Cincinnati the next week and beat the Bengals, then to San Diego to beat the Chargers, only to lose to Peyton Manning and the Colts in the AFC Title Game; the 14-2 Colts -- who lost their final two regular season games -- would lose to the 13-3 Saints -- who lost their final three -- in the Super Bowl.)

After that particular debacle, the NFL changed the scheduling matrix so that Week 17 was all Divisional play.  The idea being that rivalries would be important enough for teams to not mail in a Week 17 game they felt was meaningless even if there were playoff implications.

That's worked really well.  Because the NFL didn't do anything other than change the schedule; if there were consequences for mailing it in and those consequences were enforced by the League and had some teeth, maybe things like this wouldn't happen.

I was about to point out this 14-2 Colts team as an example related to last night's game.  I'm both a Niners and Colts fan, and I remember that season well.  Manning and co went into that Jets game 14-0 and the announcers talked non-stop in the first half about how Caldwell had given his starters a chance to win, but told them he'd pull them in the second half to rest them.  They knew it was coming, we all did.  They didn't need to win, #1 seed was already secured.  So if they wanted the W, and the chance to remain undefeated, they needed a big lead before that happened.  The Jets, however, came to play and the Colts never got that big lead, so after pulling the starters in a close game, the Jets went on to win and the Colts were no longer undefeated.  I was mad about that, cause they could have gone undefeated that season.  Maybe it would have made a difference in that SB loss, who knows.  But that's how it went, and no one can say they didn't know the coach was going to put in backups.

Same can be said here.  I don't agree with Pederson pulling Jalen Hurts in the situation they were in, but he told his players - including Hurts - that he was going to do it before the game began.  I think Philly not kicking that game-tieing field goal and going for it on 4th down from the 4 yard line and turning it over on downs was the beginning of the end for them.  If they had tied the game 17-17 at that point, things might have turned out differently.  But what I think is ridiculous, and the reason for a lot of the ire Pederson is getting, is that he claims he was playing to win.  He put in a 3rd string QB for nearly an entire quarter in what was a 3-point game against a division rival.  Huirts isn't the answer in Philly, but he's certainly better than Nate Sudfeld!  So it's not the decision to put him in that bugs me, it's the fact he keeps claiming he was playing to win.  That's an egregious lie.  He was giving his 3rd stringer (and perhaps his potential 2021 backup if they let go of Wentz) a good amount of game reps to see how he's progressing.  I don't have a problem with that strategy for future team development, but don't say it was a 'playing to win' decision.  It most definitely wasn't that.

• Like 1

If Goddell or the NFL cared about tanking, they’d set up a lottery draft similar to the NBA.  Philly might as well have taken a knee on every offensive play, why go through the charade?  And Washington still barely managed the win.  That Eagles locker room is going to turn on Peterson at the first sign of trouble next season.

The NFC East was so bad this year but historically, “only” the 4th lowest winning percentage of all time.  The worst?  Yeah, you guessed it, the NFC West the year Seattle won it at 7-9.  Seahawks won a playoff game that year with the Beast-quake against the Saints.  Carolina also won a playoff game a few years later at 7-8–1 so the WFT has a shot.

The Bears in the playoffs as a wildcard at 8-8 is also pretty absurd.  No team has been a wildcard at 8-8 (or lower) in 14 seasons.  Please tell me the 14 team playoff is not continuing next season.  Washington at least won a division (yes, you can make a case against division automatics); the Bears really did even less to earn a spot.

One other factoid.  At 11-5, Cleveland was outscored by 11 points on the season.  Kind of crazy.  Won the close ones, destroyed in the losses.  And now no coach for the wild card rematch, COVID-related.  I hope Cleveland beats Pittsburgh again as while I like Mike Tomlin well enough, Steeler fans in large are nauseating.

Edited by djb5f

Every year I bring up changing the draft order to the way I heard a radio host design it, and here goes.  If they did it his way the #1 overall pick would go to the Dolphins (best record for a non-playoff team, 10-6) picks 2 and 3 would go to the Cards and Raiders, although I don't know specifically which would be which according to tie-breakers (both teams are 8-8 which is

the next best record for non-playoff teams), 7-9 is the Chargers, Patriots and Vikings so they would get picks 4-6 in what ever order their tie-breakers decide. That'd be the top 6 before trades.  I'd assume Miami would take Lawrence since QB is a need, Cards seem to be set at QB so I'd guess DeVonta Smith, which would make their offense scary as shit if they're #2, Raiders need defense help bad and they could get a premium guy on that side with a #2 or 3 pick.  Seems like Herbert's gonna be the guy for L.A. so Fields could fall to New England or Minnesota if they want him and so on.  Every time I see this layout it makes me wish they'd change it more and more.  Tanking would be useless since it puts you in the mid to low range with picks and the teams right on the cusp can get the push they need to keep every year interesting.

• Like 1

Don't think Philly decision has anything to do with draft... They simply don't care.

And Giants make me laugh: what "right" do you have at 6-10 AND needing someone esle winning for you? Win your own games or shut up...

It's no surprise when there's only one division in the entire NFL where 6-10 grants you the bottom spot (NFC West) but almost would let you win a division (NFC East) :facepalm:

28 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Hey Seattle, keep obsessively throwing the ball because it's working out awesome!!

They call it Wild Card weekend for a reason. I did not give the Rams much of a chance given how they’ve been playing down the stretch and the QB issues.  

And then Seattle knocked the starting QB out with a borderline hit (reminded me of Clowney last year to Wentz in the playoffs to help secure the win).  Yet LA has a 10 point lead at halftime.

Can Russ cook again?  I wouldn’t bet against him!

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

They call it Wild Card weekend for a reason. I did not give the Rams much of a chance given how they’ve been playing down the stretch and the QB issues.  

And then Seattle knocked the starting QB out with a borderline hit (reminded me of Clowney last year to Wentz in the playoffs to help secure the win).  Yet LA has a 10 point lead at halftime.

Can Russ cook again?  I wouldn’t bet against him!

When it's the Rams, ALWAYS bet against him.  Even when 99's not on the field for half the game the O-line and coaching always shrinks against the Rams.  McVay's had Carroll's number since he entered the league and despite the talent on paper, Seattle's offense is always capable of going completely inept.  

A fun start to wildcard weekend

Bills defeating Colts in a game that came down to a last play hail mary

Rams defense dominating the Seahawks in game which Goff who initialy was backup had to come in and play

Bucs defeat a gallant Washington team in a game that was way closer then expected thanks to a solid game from Taylor Henicke, who might have got himself a permanent NFL gig

3 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

All good games so far. Watching Browns/Steelers now...what the hell is going on?!

28-0 and some probably still don’t feel safe lol.

Glad they are getting this win.  Nearly 20 years since their last playoff appearance is absurd given the advantages given to the teams that struggle.  

And we can go at least one more week without “the NFL is cheating us” conspiracy fans ?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

All good games so far. Watching Browns/Steelers now...what the hell is going on?!

22 minutes ago, djb5f said:

28-0 and some probably still don’t feel safe lol.

Glad they are getting this win.  Nearly 20 years since their last playoff appearance is absurd given the advantages given to the teams that struggle.  

And we can go at least one more week without “the NFL is cheating us” conspiracy fans 1f602.png

As a Browns fan, I won’t be comfortable until the clock hits 00:00 with a browns victory. 

• Like 1

Browns handling Steelers that easy was a shock and 28 in 1st qtr, though when Pittsburgh had momentum not going for it on 4th and 1 will be questioned 

Saints eaisly in end handle a bears offense that did nothing unil a final play td

Ravens come from 10-0 down to defeat the Titans 20-13 a game where they easily handled Derrick Henry

Divisional Round 

Saturday 

Rams at Packers 4:35 ET FOX

Ravens at Bills 8:15 ET NBC

Sunday

Browns at Chiefs 3:05 ET CBS

Bucs at Saints 6:40 ET FOX

• Like 1

Happy for the Browns but it's utterly depressing they went from 0-16 to a playoff win in such a short time and the Lions are still going nowhere 13 years later from the fact.

Divisional Picture looks like great matchups all around but I doubt the Bucs will be beating the Saints after being trounced by them twice already. Ravens and Bills is anyone's games. Rodgers struggles against good defenses so the Rams have a shot. Nothing to say on Browns and Chiefs because so far the Browns have defied all expectations so I'm placing none on them and seeing where it goes.

Most of this weekends games went the way I thought they would, except one.  I figured Bills, Bucs, Saints, and Steelers (lol!) were obvious wins, and figured the other 2 would be close and hard to call.  I really didn't know if it'd be the Ravens or the Titans, but I figured with Goff on the bench, the Rams would probably fall to Seattle.  5 mins before the game started I told my wife 'If Goff's thumb is good to go and he comes in before half-time, they have a chance'.  When did he come in, like 5 mins into the first quarter? Bucs and Bills were also much closer than I thought they'd be.

But those Browns... wow.  I definitely didn't have the Browns - on the road in Pit - dropping 48 points, with 28 coming in the first QUARTER, on my 2021 bingo card.  Though that's not the first time I've said something like that this year and we're only 10 days into the damn year, so maybe 2021 will turn out to be even more insane than 2020... ugh ?