National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

It's a really tough call for coach of the year on one hand you have Stefanski who has done an incredible job with Cleveland given the circumstances there, on the other hand you have Dan Campbell who helped lead Detroit to their first division title in almost 3 decades.  

Personally I'd give it to Campbell because Cleveland is only a few years removed from the playoffs and they won a road playoff game(also nearly beat the Chiefs who went on to win the AFC) Detroit's last appearance was as a low seeded wild card team in 2016.  

That being said both are deserving. 

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

AFC West is now wide open. Chiefs need to get their shit together!

Is the division really "open", let alone "wide open"?  The only way the Chiefs don't win that division is if they lose out and the winner of the Raiders/Broncos game in Week 18 also wins next Sunday.

Mind you, I could totally see Kansas City coughing up next Sunday's game to the Bengals.  But then you're asking them to lose to the Los Angeles Chargers and that's a very big ask in my opinion.

Beyond that?  The AFC playoffs look wide open to me; one can come up with a reasonable justification for any of the teams who might make it to win a few games or to lay an egg and lose 62-7 in their opening game.

39 minutes ago, acasser said:

Is the division really "open", let alone "wide open"?  The only way the Chiefs don't win that division is if they lose out and the winner of the Raiders/Broncos game in Week 18 also wins next Sunday.

Mind you, I could totally see Kansas City coughing up next Sunday's game to the Bengals.  But then you're asking them to lose to the Los Angeles Chargers and that's a very big ask in my opinion.

Beyond that?  The AFC playoffs look wide open to me; one can come up with a reasonable justification for any of the teams who might make it to win a few games or to lay an egg and lose 62-7 in their opening game.

Doesn’t change the fact the Chiefs offense needs to get its shit together. Also, they can’t get the #1 seed anymore

Edited by MidnightDragon

Well, if the Raiders win their next game, things might get interesting in the AFC West...especially if the Bengals win. I don't see the Chiefs going past the first round...I hate to be negative, but there really isn't much positive right now!

People are blaming Taylor Swift and Brittany Mahomes for it, which is silly. Brittany is just there to support her husband and the team's issues were forming before Taylor showed up. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

6 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Per Dianna Russini on Twitter:

The Broncos will be cutting Russell Wilson after this season.

I read on Bleacher Report that after the Broncos beat the Chiefs, Russell was told to restructure his contract or be benched. Well, obviously we know how that went. :P Still, Stidham isn't really any better, I don't think. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10102718-schultz-russell-wilson-threatened-with-broncos-benching-weeks-ago-over-contract

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, majob said:

And so ends the Russel Wilson experiment. Wonder where he lands next? My bet is Tampa

The only way Wilson gets traded is to re-structure his contract and massively reduce the numbers and guarantees, which simply isn't in his interests.  Otherwise, the Broncos probably can't afford the cap implications for making a trade; they probably can't/shouldn't release him, either, but there's way to massage the damage if they do so and designate him a post-June 1st cut that doesn't completely nuke them.  (Just mostly so.)

Tampa is going to run it back with Baker Mayfield.  I think Vegas becomes an obvious landing spot; not only did Wilson seem to want to go there the last time this came up, not only is Vegas still looking for their guy, but it would offer Wilson the opportunity to stick his thumb in Denver's eye in the process.

My question is thus:  How long a leash does Sean Payton get in Denver before he's deemed to be the problem?

5 hours ago, acasser said:

The only way Wilson gets traded is to re-structure his contract and massively reduce the numbers and guarantees, which simply isn't in his interests.  Otherwise, the Broncos probably can't afford the cap implications for making a trade; they probably can't/shouldn't release him, either, but there's way to massage the damage if they do so and designate him a post-June 1st cut that doesn't completely nuke them.  (Just mostly so.)

Tampa is going to run it back with Baker Mayfield.  I think Vegas becomes an obvious landing spot; not only did Wilson seem to want to go there the last time this came up, not only is Vegas still looking for their guy, but it would offer Wilson the opportunity to stick his thumb in Denver's eye in the process.

My question is thus:  How long a leash does Sean Payton get in Denver before he's deemed to be the problem?

I understand it's about the contract, hence the benching but having Russel sitting down and sucking up cap does more harm than good in the long run. Vegas has Carr and while he isn't lighting it up he hasn't had the season that Russel has had so far. Maybe Washington but I think Howell is making a case to be the starter plus he's cheaper. Peyton? he'll get one more season of course but beyond that...

4 hours ago, majob said:

I understand it's about the contract, hence the benching but having Russel sitting down and sucking up cap does more harm than good in the long run. Vegas has Carr and while he isn't lighting it up he hasn't had the season that Russel has had so far. Maybe Washington but I think Howell is making a case to be the starter plus he's cheaper. Peyton? he'll get one more season of course but beyond that...

Derek Carr is on the Saints now and the Raiders have been using Aidan O'Connell who is still trying to figure things out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, majob said:

Howell just got benched for Jacoby Brissett.  And who knows what the situation is going to be there in Washington for next season since it's probably a safe assumption that Ron Rivera and his entire staff are going to get fired in ten days or so.

As for Russell Wilson?  Assuming he gets released, he has so much guaranteed money coming to him that he can take a minimum-salary contract from wherever he wants to go and still be handsomely compensated from his Broncos money.  So cap space isn't going to be an issue; finding a fit will be the more meaningful thing.  And his list of suitors will include an awful lot of teams who we believe to be set at quarterback; unless that team has a star -- bonafide or "assumed", e.g., Aaron Rodgers -- they'll look at him as at least a high-end backup with the possibility he could supplant the nominal starter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

it’s kind of funny to see everyone up in arms over this.  Definitely seems like a botch but realize the ONLY reason #68 was left open was because he was never announced as being eligible.  The whole dynamic of the play changes if he were announced as eligible before the play began and a very good chance, he would’ve been accounted for by the Cowboys defense.  

Nary a mention of the tripping penalty mistakenly called on the Cowboys to set up 1st and 25 before when it was obviously on the Lions and would’ve likely resulted in the Cowboys running out the clock.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39215679/officials-missed-tripping-call-lions-controversial-penalty

And Dan Campbell’s decision to go for 2 from the 7 instead of going into OT was Brandon Staley bad.

• Like 1

Lions fans are used to this quite frankly so I'm not really bothered. From Rodgers bullshit facemask in 2015 to the runoff against the Falcons in 2017, to the penalty for being too loud against the Jets. I've seen it all

Edited by majob

7 hours ago, djb5f said:

it’s kind of funny to see everyone up in arms over this.  Definitely seems like a botch but realize the ONLY reason #68 was left open was because he was never announced as being eligible.  The whole dynamic of the play changes if he were announced as eligible before the play began and a very good chance, he would’ve been accounted for by the Cowboys defense.  

Nary a mention of the tripping penalty mistakenly called on the Cowboys to set up 1st and 25 before when it was obviously on the Lions and would’ve likely resulted in the Cowboys running out the clock.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39215679/officials-missed-tripping-call-lions-controversial-penalty

And Dan Campbell’s decision to go for 2 from the 7 instead of going into OT was Brandon Staley bad.

I'm pretty sure the phantom tripping call was specifically mentioned in the video.  My intention in posting this video was more an indictment on the officiating this year than Cowboy hate as well.  The Lions had plenty of self inflicted wounds in that game... like lowering a shoulder and whiffing on a hit instead of wrapping up and tackling Dak in his own endzone and, like you said,  stubbornly insisting on going for 2, but the sheer level of botch in that call is unacceptable and the NFL should be embarrassed about the product they're putting out.  I mean, it doesn't matter to them because people consume regardless but personally, I've found myself going more and more Sundays without watching a single second of football and realizing how little I miss it.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 3:38 PM, majob said:

DIVISION CHAMPS BABY!!!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 30 YEARS!!!

I’m late for this, but I just wanted to pass along my story from the Vikes game from Christmas Eve. A couple were sitting behind us who were Lions fans, and they were very pleasant throughout the game. Much better than the Vikes Grandpa to my side who dropped an F bomb in every sentence. 
  Anyways, on the final Vikings drive, the grunts and groans were audible behind me as Jefferson made a couple improbable catches. It was like as a experienced Lion fan, they knew the gut punch was coming. But after the horrendous pick, they cheered together and were hugging. I turned around, shook their hands and congratulated them for winning the division, and the guy said “This hasn’t happen since I was 13! It’s been 30 years!!”

That is just shocking to me. Was Tampa still in the division back then? It’s just crazy to think you have a 25% chance to win it annually, and it took 30 tries.
 Congrats on winning the division and I will root for the Motor City Kittys in the playoffs. Even if the Vikes make it, they won’t go far in the playoffs with the QB bullpen strategy. Best of luck!!

- Also, HELL of a good game by Michigan in the Rose Bowl. That was an old fashioned, punch in the mouth, victory. Bama’s O line got worked over. Good luck in the Title game.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:52 PM, djb5f said:

Looks like someone also failed to mention the cowboys called 2 passing plays on that drive in typical McCarthy fashion, which in all honesty the lions probably don't have that chance if the cowboys just run the ball there, but that's just another reason why "dem boys" won't be playing in February. 

Edited by squaresoft4ever7

30 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I’m late for this, but I just wanted to pass along my story from the Vikes game from Christmas Eve. A couple were sitting behind us who were Lions fans, and they were very pleasant throughout the game. Much better than the Vikes Grandpa to my side who dropped an F bomb in every sentence. 
  Anyways, on the final Vikings drive, the grunts and groans were audible behind me as Jefferson made a couple improbable catches. It was like as a experienced Lion fan, they knew the gut punch was coming. But after the horrendous pick, they cheered together and were hugging. I turned around, shook their hands and congratulated them for winning the division, and the guy said “This hasn’t happen since I was 13! It’s been 30 years!!”

That is just shocking to me. Was Tampa still in the division back then? It’s just crazy to think you have a 25% chance to win it annually, and it took 30 tries.
 Congrats on winning the division and I will root for the Motor City Kittys in the playoffs. Even if the Vikes make it, they won’t go far in the playoffs with the QB bullpen strategy. Best of luck!!

- Also, HELL of a good game by Michigan in the Rose Bowl. That was an old fashioned, punch in the mouth, victory. Bama’s O line got worked over. Good luck in the Title game.

The last time the Lions won their division, it was the NFC Central and yeah, Tampa was still there. This is the first time the Lions have ever won the NFC North