National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

But I think the Eagles might struggle against the Seahawks in Seattle. 3-game losing streaks have been all the rage in the NFL this year.

Not a chance.  Seattle is completely broken right now.  Pete's gonna stubbornly insist on his coveted soft zone coverage while the pass rush is non-existent and the safeties continue to bounce off of guys instead of actually tackling.  AJ Brown alone is going to throttle the Seahawks.

Edited by skidmarkgn

23 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

LOL. I was going to tell Jets fans to pack it up, because they clearly scored all their remaining points for season against the Texans.

Other than the handful of masochists within the fanbase, we Jets fans packed it up a while ago.

That being said, their ending schedule after next weekend's tilt in Miami is soft enough to con the easily fooled.  Washington, at Cleveland, at New England -- they're all winnable games, and they'll probably win a couple of those if Zach Wilson continues to play "eff you" football like he did in the second half yesterday and convince some other team to give the Jets a Day Two draft pick for him in March.

I saw a video of after the game. Rather than congratulate Allen on the win, Mahomes bitched to him about the refs robbing him. One, I doubt Allen gives a shit. Two, be a man and take some responsibility. Admittedly, my respect for him has taken a hit since he acted like a spoiled brat and an embarrassment to himself and the team. Hopefully he realizes how childish he was.

My worst fear is the NFL may try to make an example out of him. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

On 12/10/2023 at 7:44 PM, acasser said:

Two games were 0-0 at the half:

Minnesota-Vegas was the NFL's version of a war crime against sports fandom.  I saw the final score and decided that I wouldn't burden myself investigating further to see what happened there.

It was a case of two defenses teeing off with blitzes on some mediocre QBs. Josh Dobbs’ impression of Jeremy Lin has now come to an end. Denver and Chicago realized that even though Dobbs might be able to explain the Schrödinger Equation, he can not handle a blitz. Dobbs also started learning more plays in the offense, which is counterproductive to him, when the bulk of the plays are for Kirk Cousins, who has the mobility of a tree stump. Take Dobbs’ run threat away and it is quite clear how he has cycled through eight teams. Old Niner Nick Mullins came in and gained as many yards in one quarter, as Dobbs did in three. Mullins has always been the backup, he was just on IR for the previous couple weeks. Which asks the question - how does a clipboard carrier end up on Injured Reserve??? Also, three starting O linemen were out for Vikes, so the entire right side wilted on every snap. 

On the Raiders side, they started something called Aiden O’Connell, who was so good in college, that I can’t recall a single highlight of his at Purdue, and I watch the Big 10 most Saturdays. Brian Flores basically told the defense “Fresh Fish!” And the sack parade commenced. 
Good football? Absolutely not. But it was fun to feel confidence in the defense, which the purple fan base hasn’t been able to feel in years. 
Now we get to face Jake Browning, who was on our practice squad coming out of college. The QB saga the NFL has scripted this season is unprecedented. 

The game tonight was nuts. Raiders had 49 unanswered points and broke their scoring record. I wanted to play PS5, yet I sat through that whole debacle. They fell a bit short on breaking the NFL record, though. Also, how was Staley not fired at halftime? The idiot still thinks he deserves his job. If he isn’t by season’s end, the team owner should be committed. Hell, he should if it doesn’t happen by the weekend. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

5 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Also, how was Staley not fired at halftime?

I don't believe I've ever seen a Head Coach fired in the middle of a game, not in any sport that's played in Real Life.

(Various forms of media, such as books or movies, do not count.  And even there, it's frequently done for dramatic purposes and not because something flipped in the middle of a game that changed the calculus from "don't fire" to "fire".)

On the other hand, I can recall two examples when a Head Coach was fired immediately following a game and not permitted to return home on the team charter.  But obliged to find alternative transportation to go wherever.  And there are probably plenty more where those came from.

4 hours ago, acasser said:

I don't believe I've ever seen a Head Coach fired in the middle of a game, not in any sport that's played in Real Life.

(Various forms of media, such as books or movies, do not count.  And even there, it's frequently done for dramatic purposes and not because something flipped in the middle of a game that changed the calculus from "don't fire" to "fire".)

On the other hand, I can recall two examples when a Head Coach was fired immediately following a game and not permitted to return home on the team charter.  But obliged to find alternative transportation to go wherever.  And there are probably plenty more where those came from.

Well, he would’ve deserved it if they actually did it.

Andy Reid was fined $100,000 and Patrick Mahomes $50,000 for their comments Sunday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-andy-reid-patrick-mahomes-for-critical-comments-of-officials-following

Drop in the bucket for them. Mahomes probably has that in his couch! :lol: 

Edited by MidnightDragon

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

sometimes, the planets align!

That was such a weird game.  From the interception in the endzone that shouldn't have counted (the RARE occasion PI isn't called) to the phantom false start on the tush-push, a lot of backbreakers uncharacteristically went Seattle's way.  Even Pete wasting yet another timeout, which simultaneously allowed that Eagles challenge, seemed like a good thing in hindsight because they got 3 points instead of most likely failing on a run up the middle on 4th and 2.  On top of it all the man who normally rotates with the cancerous waste of space known as Jamal Adams gets to play full time and comes up with 2 picks (Adams' dumbass wouldn't have even been in the frame on that final play if he were on the field), which will hopefully be the final nail in Adams' Seattle shaped coffin.  

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

So Aaron Rodgers was full of shit about playing again this year and did this to make the Jets narrative all about him since his ego wouldn't allow it to be otherwise...is anyone surprised? 

The Jets are mathematically eliminated.  If they weren't, Rodgers would probably be in line to start Sunday.

Yes, Rodgers has an ego, much like every star player has an ego -- it's one of those necessary things for almost every elite athlete to excel.  Yes, the Jets are catering to Rodgers' whims the way a lot of teams cater to their star players' whims.

But I don't believe this is entirely "ego driven".  I believe there's other stuff at play here, such as Rodgers being a contrary voice on a number of things health-related in broader society and trying to push the limits with his rehab much as he's pushing limits elsewhere.

51 minutes ago, acasser said:

The Jets are mathematically eliminated.  If they weren't, Rodgers would probably be in line to start Sunday.

Yes, Rodgers has an ego, much like every star player has an ego -- it's one of those necessary things for almost every elite athlete to excel.  Yes, the Jets are catering to Rodgers' whims the way a lot of teams cater to their star players' whims.

But I don't believe this is entirely "ego driven".  I believe there's other stuff at play here, such as Rodgers being a contrary voice on a number of things health-related in broader society and trying to push the limits with his rehab much as he's pushing limits elsewhere.

I see it as similar to the games he’s played with Green Bay the last few seasons. He wants it to be all about him, let the team be damned.

I'm not sure of the exact contract he has with the Jets, but he might still play to show he's still viable at his age for next year. Otherwise he should just retire and let the jets spend a good draft pick on another QB.

4 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I'm not sure of the exact contract he has with the Jets, but he might still play to show he's still viable at his age for next year. Otherwise he should just retire and let the jets spend a good draft pick on another QB.

It's doubtful the Jets will be able to get their hands on Caleb Williams and 2024 is looking pretty slim in terms of qb talent

7 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Rodgers re-negotiated his contract after the trade from Green Bay to free up a lot of cap space for the Jets, giving up a large amount of guaranteed money so the Jets could bring in other guys.  Mind you, the guys the Jets brought in to satisfy Rodgers sucked this year, but you're not looking at a cap-crushing contract that prevents the team from making moves to augment the talent around him.  (Whether or not the GM can identify the right talent to bring in is an open question.)

Chicago is going to wind up with the #1 pick (courtesy of Carolina) and probably takes a QB and deals Justin Fields elsewhere.  New England and Arizona and Washington all have fewer wins than the Jets and will probably take a QB if they land high enough and one is still available; the Jets *do* play the Commanders and Patriots over the next three weeks so that's subject to some change.  The Giants could lose out and take a guy as well if they land high enough.

So it's probably "Rodgers or bust".  With the Jets focusing on (re)building the offensive line this off-season, making a run at a WR to put opposite Garrett Wilson, and probably bringing in a much better backup and getting rid of Zach Wilson.

7 hours ago, majob said:

DIVISION CHAMPS BABY!!!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 30 YEARS!!!

Very cool to see the Lions win it and I hope it only gets better from here.  On another note, I don't know what's more sad... the fact that the Dolphins hadn't beat a winning team until week 16 or the fact that going into week 16 they'd only played 3 such teams.  I mean, how pathetic can a schedule be? 

• Like 1