SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Impossible Boy is the hardest of all the no death runs.

Missile Boy is where the difficulty really starts to ramp up. The earlier no death runs aren't that difficult, and anybody halfway competent with platformers can pick up Wood Boy without trouble.

Still, good job nonetheless.

I may need to pick a new game, too many people are getting the Super Meat Boy platinum.

Indeed. I tried to get Impossible Boy for two consecutive months then took a two week break. After that, I got it in 6 days. Extremely difficult, but very doable. I also noticed that you obtained Girl Boy. Congratulations. I wouldn't drop the game when you're this close to a very treasurable Platinum. Although it was a long time ago, you told me yourself that you'll get the Platinum; you don't know when, but you will.

You're also 10 Platinum trophies away from 200. It would be even more satisfying if SMB was your 200th. Although that choice is up to you. 

Edited by DJY8898

I did practice runs on my alt account starting two months prior to putting Super Meat Boy on my main account.

I was on a tear around May 2017 but by the time I was going to go for Zombie Boy I was completely burnt out. Dropped the game, played a few dozen games in a several month time span, came back in February the following year and got Zombie Boy.

Girl Boy pissed me off so I went on another long hiatus. Finally obtained it just over a week ago.

I may try to get Impossible Boy at around the two year mark. But this will probably be the most difficult platinum I will ever get.

After nearly four years of trophy hunting, I am starting to find that difficult games simply aren't for me.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I did practice runs on my alt account starting two months prior to putting Super Meat Boy on my main account.

I was on a tear around May 2017 but by the time I was going to go for Zombie Boy I was completely burnt out. Dropped the game, played a few dozen games in a several month time span, came back in February the following year and got Zombie Boy.

Girl Boy pissed me off so I went on another long hiatus. Finally obtained it just over a week ago.

I may try to get Impossible Boy at around the two year mark. But this will probably be the most difficult platinum I will ever get.

After nearly four years of trophy hunting, I am starting to find that difficult games simply aren't for me.

Don't give up now! I'd say if you're this close to the plat for SMB, difficult games ARE for you! There's only a difference of what, 30 people on this site between Girl and Impossible boy?

If you can get Zombie Boy, you can get Impossible boy. They're very comparable in difficulty IMO, they're what make this game 10/10, whereas Demon and Girl boy are 8.5-9/10. You've got this!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XCKingBrent said:

If you can get Zombie Boy, you can get Impossible boy. They're very comparable in difficulty IMO

I'd agree if both chapters were done only as a Meat Boy/Bandage Girl. The main difficulty spike of Girl Boy/Impossible Boy is from inability to change characters, which can trivialize (by SMB standards) few of Dark Rapture levels, like 5-10X or 5-13X as The Kid.

Impossible Boy with possibility to change characters would be significantly easier (imagine doing 7-1X with The Kid or 7-2X as Gish). I still think Girl Boy difficulty spike after Zombie Boy is higher than Impossible Boy after Girl Boy, because of mentioned inability to change characters.

• Like 1

As @Spinosaurus Rex said, the inability to change characters makes Cotton Alley a bit more difficult. 

A lot of people on this website think that Zombie Boy is tougher than Girl Boy, and a couple even said that it’s just as tough as Impossible Boy. I think Zombie Boy was easier, due to changing characters. The Spelunker character makes 5-3X a lot easier, and The Kid makes a lot of otherwise extremely difficult levels much more doable. Meat Boy was only used on a couple levels, namely 5-5X and the one where you have to speed your way from an avalanche in the dark. 

Gish made one level easier in Zombie Boy. 

Impossible Boy is the most difficult. A couple levels namely 7-10X is easier than it’s Girl Boy counterpart. 7-20X can be argued that it’s easier because you’re jumping over the small sawblades FIRST instead of LAST. But many of the levels, especially 7-14X, 7-15X and 7-19X are much more difficult. 

The one disappointment is that too many people are getting the platinum in Super Meat Boy. Back in May of 2017 there were around 100 - 150 platinum achievers. That has nearly tripled to over 300 achievers, and some people have gotten the Meat Boy platinum 2 - 3 times. So I may have to pick another game once this journey is over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night I was in the zone and got 18/20 levels of demon boy.... but then died to a maul projectile ;( 

I don't feel a clear will come soon, granted, I have 7/12 of the deathless runs done so far with only 6k deaths...

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I know it isn't synced on my account yet but so far I got Wood Boy and Squirrel Boy, 100%'ed first 2 world (Salt Factory at 91%, Hell at 43%, Rapture at 36% and Cotton Alley at 20%). I also beaten 14/20 wrap zones (including Kid) + 69 Bandages. And slightly missed Needle Boy with only 3 levels left to do... Oh did I mentioned I have around 7K deaths so I'm not even at the fun part xD. All I can say is... FTTM (reference to Cody's FTR)!

*TM: Team Meat*

PS: I'm doing the game on Vita to even torture myself more haha (in Airplane mode)

Edited by XxIsa-GxX
PS

22 minutes ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

I know it isn't synced on my account yet but so far I got Wood Boy and Squirrel Boy, 100%'ed first 2 world (Salt Factory at 91%, Hell at 43%, Rapture at 36% and Cotton Alley at 20%). I also beaten 14/20 wrap zones (including Kid) + 69 Bandages. And slightly missed Needle Boy with only 3 levels left to do... Oh did I mentioned I have around 7K deaths so I'm not even at the fun part xD. All I can say is... FTTM (reference to Cody's FTR)!

*TM: Team Meat*

PS: I'm doing the game on Vita to even torture myself more haha (in Airplane mode)

Good luck. For some levels I do recommend Vita but that doesn't apply to the whole game as the biggest step is to getting used to the controller. Changing platforms between PS4 and Vita will be a burden after some time especially when you try harder levels aka Worlds. I do understand playing on Vita is comfortable while lying on your bed but It might kill that 'professional' mood which is extremely needed for the game to be accomplished. So I would say play the game on PS4 all the way if you can and get used to the controller as soon as possible. Also Steam is great for casual playing. My playtime is over 100 hours on Steam and did my whole speed running process there before hopping to the PS4. Helped me a lot as while playing on PS4 and Vita I was pushing myself to the trophies which did cost me to fail runs over and over again. But on Steam I was just running casually since there are no 'trophies' to get.

İyi şanslar dostum. Eğer trophylerin senkron olmasını istemiyorsan PS4 üzerinde boş bir yeni USER oluşturup PSN hesabı eklemeden trophleri almaya çalışabilirsin. Aldığında ise PSN bilgilerini girersen trophler hesabına senkron olacaktır. Airplane modu ile uğraşmak zorunda değilsin. Vita'da oynamak bana sorarsan zaman kaybı olacaktır sana ilerisi için. Sevgiler. Tekrardan iyi şanslar.

Edited by Abysm_Nucleus
  • Like 1

Finally got the platinum after a many months break. This game is not enjoyable and is really poorly designed but it does feel nice to have accomplished this. I have some pretty comprehensive strategies that I made while going through the game if anyone wants them. I'm not sure how useful they will be since this game is about a decade old and no one plays it anymore. 

On 6/19/2019 at 0:56 PM, StealthMonkey43 said:

Finally got the platinum after a many months break. This game is not enjoyable and is really poorly designed but it does feel nice to have accomplished this. I have some pretty comprehensive strategies that I made while going through the game if anyone wants them. I'm not sure how useful they will be since this game is about a decade old and no one plays it anymore. 

Any strategy is better than no strategy, please feel free to share :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just had a 16 level streak snapped by the Maws in 7-15X. They seem to be completely random at times. Had one of the splits hit Girl Boy after trying to reach the upper right block, even though I did everything as I normally do to beat the level.

Struggled for a long time to get anywhere above 5 levels in a row without dying. I went on fatprinny.com and followed @greenzsaber's advice on doing 7-7X thru 7-9X.

I discovered that doing 7-7X first makes a big difference in how long I can survive simply because you can practice the "magic pixel". I have had countless occasions where trying to do this legit would result in death, and doing the "magic pixel" several levels through also resulted in a lot of practice runs ending.

@Ultima456 offered a great tip in his YouTube video a few years ago on 7-14X. What I now do to beat this level 95 times out of 100 is once I position myself, I let go of the run button, have Girl Boy reach the middle platform. Once I grab the key I quickly hold down the run button and as soon as I jump, I let go of it. More times than not I land on the block to the left, I hold the run button once more and jump over to one of the two blocks on the left side of the level. Then I just run down to Meat Boy ensuring I beat the level. Works like a charm.

7-7X thru 7-9X I do first because of the luck factor. 7-19X and 7-20X follow because those are difficult levels, I generally die a lot on 7-20X. Then I basically do 7-1X thru 7-6X, then follow up with 7-10X thru 7-18X.

I had 7-15X thru 7-18X left and once I died a lot of motivation got sucked out of me. 7-15X is wonky at times, 7-16X is mostly luck but thankfully you can exit to map screen fairly easily. 7-17X is fairly easy, 7-18X is just a matter of rounding up the Oobs before jumping up and grabbing the key. The difficulty is getting them to cooperate at the beginning.

So close, yet so far. I'll practice some more but doubt I can repeat my 16 level streak for a while.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just unlocked The Kid after unlocking him on Xbox 360 about 7 years ago. It took me about 2 and a half hours plus a loose X button haha. I don't think I'm ever going for the platinum on this game because I don't want carpal tunnel... Good luck to everyone else, though! Just wanted to share my small achievement lol

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only have Impossible Boy left, but holy fuck it's annoying. I'm at a point that most levels are pretty consistent for me and don't really need to practice individual level that much more. 

But everything I attempt a run, I either get unlucky a bit (e.g. missing a jump by a couple pixels) or I just straight up lose concentration for a bit, causing me to make really stupid mistakes, and me dying on the easy parts of some levels. I feel like I just need to get a bit lucky on a run to get the plat, but I've said this to myself for a few days in a row now and still no trophy :(

7 hours ago, Dzware said:

Only have Impossible Boy left, but holy fuck it's annoying. I'm at a point that most levels are pretty consistent for me and don't really need to practice individual level that much more. 

But everything I attempt a run, I either get unlucky a bit (e.g. missing a jump by a couple pixels) or I just straight up lose concentration for a bit, causing me to make really stupid mistakes, and me dying on the easy parts of some levels. I feel like I just need to get a bit lucky on a run to get the plat, but I've said this to myself for a few days in a row now and still no trophy :(

Trust me man, as a guy who is adept at platformers, Impossible Boy took me over 40 hours of practice before I finally nailed the trophy.

7-1X, 7-9X, 7-14X and 7-18X gave me the most trouble. 7-20X is difficult on its own because of how long it is, even though it is exactly the same as it's Light Cotton Alley counterpart, you just do the level in reverse.

I'll try to submit a screenshot of my platinum trophy later today.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, aranhaFEILONG said:

All no death runs completed!

After 29 days of Training, it's finally over!

Now, i have some Warpzones and Bandages left for platinum!

Awesome job man. 

The platinum will certainly be one you can feel proud for.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 8-1-2020 at 8:06 PM, Spaz said:

Trust me man, as a guy who is adept at platformers, Impossible Boy took me over 40 hours of practice before I finally nailed the trophy.

7-1X, 7-9X, 7-14X and 7-18X gave me the most trouble. 7-20X is difficult on its own because of how long it is, even though it is exactly the same as it's Light Cotton Alley counterpart, you just do the level in reverse.

I'll try to submit a screenshot of my platinum trophy later today.

Funny how different levels hard for different people. I agree on 7-1X, 7-20X is only hard if I'm doing that in the middle of my run, it's pretty consistent if it's during my first 3 levels, but 7-9X is pretty easy for me for example. For me the hardest levels are 7-1X, 7-8X, 7-14X, 7-19X and 7-20X.

7-13X is one of the easiest levels for me, but somehow died on the easiest part after clearing 14 levels..... FML

On 8-1-2020 at 9:25 PM, aranhaFEILONG said:

All no death runs completed!

After 29 days of Training, it's finally over!

Now, i have some Warpzones and Bandages left for platinum!

On 10-1-2020 at 8:20 PM, Rune2303 said:

Well there it is. Finally decided to finish this game up. And oh boy did impossible boy take me seemingly forever -.-

While I've got a whole bunch of things to say about this game let me just keep it short and leave you my final opinion of the entire experience right here ...

Congrats guys!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...