I don't get Halloween

Superbuu3

We teach kids you should never accept candy from strangers, on halloween we tell them to knock on stranger's doors and ask for it

I thought there was a rule not to knock on strangers doors but only on doors of the people you know. Or am I wrong? We don't really celebrate Halloween where I come from but I always thought that was the case.

I thought there was a rule not to knock on strangers doors but only on doors of the people you know. Or am I wrong? We don't really celebrate Halloween where I come from but I always thought that was the case.

They knock on anyone's doors in my area. Actually they like getting candy from their neighbors more I think.

That is a rule.  But a lot of older kids don't care and will spend their time banging your door until they are bored.

On this night, I always have a rule to anyone who wants to come and visit, phone or message me that you are the person at the door or I won't answer.  Most of the younger, supervised kids come during the day.  It's only the older ones later who don't put any effort in dressing up or anything.

The kids are suppose to be accompanied by adults when asking strangers for candy. Also, during Christmas, only kids who have been good all year are supposed to get gifts. So they are earned.

Personally, i don't subscribe to either Christian or pagan rituals. I still have fun with them though. I'll walk the kids through the neighborhood and participate in gift exchanges. I'm not that big of a fuddy.

We don't celebrate Halloween here in New Zealand and that's the way it needs to stay. Unfortunately all the big chain stores push cheap candy and crappy costumes so there's always a few trick or treaters around. And I guarantee you not a single one of those kds even knows the meaning of Halloween. They just use it as excuse to put some rubbish $2 outfit and expect people to give them free candy.

Edited by FilmFanatic
  • Like 1

I feel like I'm caught up in the hype of it this year, but I'm getting to experience my first USA Halloween :)

Husband and I have carved pumpkins and went out to look at how some of the houses were decorated, now settling in for the evening with Pumpkin Pie and Tales from the Crypt.

I've never been into trick or treating...my parents always likened it to begging so my siblings and I never did it when we were growing up.

• Like 2

I personally love Halloween. Let the kids have their fun, as long they're supervised and not getting spoiled.

I haven't heard of that. The general rule (where I live anyway) is if the house doesn't have any lights on then they aren't giving away candy so don't bother ringing the doorbell. But otherwise just go nuts. That's why I have my lights off, but in reality, I'm actually hording the candy I already bought. Ahaha! *Wrings hands*

That was the rule when I was a kid as well. But it might depend on where you live.

I'm just in it for the masks.

Dude, your Jason signature has me cracking up. :)

Edited by WhiteWalls7
  • Like 2