The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

That was a bad WrestleMania, not the worst one ever, but still bad.

It was full of bad stories, bad endings, and way to much burying.

What makes it worse is that it could have easily been great if the had better ending and took out all the Attitude Era BS.

The ladder match was fine. It's hard to make people look weak in a ladder match.

Why make AJ's finishers look so weak? Why have Jericho kick out of all of AJ's finisher just to have a dirty finish? It won't really hurt AJ because he's AJ, but there was no need for Jericho look that strong.

Why make TLON look so weak? It took a 4 vs 3 match for them to win and they needed two finisher to beat the weakest member of the New Day.

Why make Ambrose look so weak? Ever with all his Hardcore stuff and his finisher that could be one of the strongest finishers in WWE he still could not make Lesnar break a sweat.

The woman's match was good until the end. Instead of having Charlotte look super strong by shrugging off a top rope finisher and the winning the match on her own, you let her manager help her which makes Charlotte look weak, Becky look even weaker and makes Sasha look super strong.

Hell in a Cell was just weird, Shane looked super duper strong with all his old hardcore stuff plus submissions left and right. While Taker looks old and scared. With that weird stipulation on the match it would have been a great last match for Taker that would have signified the end of all the Attitude Era BS.

The battle royal was meh with a small push for Baron Corbin.

Why would you make the Wyatts look so weak? A 6 second match? Has the Rock Bottom become so strong that it can take out a fresh wrestler in one hit?

The WWE title match was fine, but HHH should have never had the title in the first place.

This WrestleMania needed to be good, it needed to be full of pushes for the new blood especially after all the injuries last year. I'm not sure where they are going with the storyline, but unless it's something like a NXT invasion I don't see it going anywhere good.  

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 2

That was a bad WrestleMania, not the worst one ever, but still bad.

It was full of bad stories, bad ending, and way to much burying.

What makes it worse is that it could have easily been great if the had better ending and took out all the Attitude Era BS.

The ladder match was fine. It's hard to make people look weak in a ladder match.

Why make AJ's finishers look so weak? Why have Jericho kick out of all of AJ's finisher just to have a dirty finish? It won't really hurt AJ because he's AJ, but there was no need for Jericho look that strong.

Why make TLON look so weak? It took a 4 vs 3 match for them to win and they needed two finisher to beat the weakest member of the New Day.

Why make Ambrose look so weak? Ever with all his Hardcore stuff and his finisher that could be one of the strongest finishers in WWE he still could not make Lesnar break a sweat.

The woman's match was good until the end. Instead of having Charlotte look super strong by shrugging off a top rope finisher and the winning the match on her own, you let her manager help her which makes Charlotte look weak, Becky look even weaker and makes Sasha look super strong.

Hell in a Cell was just weird, Shane looked super duper strong with all his old hardcore stuff plus submissions left and right. While Taker looks old and scared. With that weird stipulation on the match it would have been a great last match for Taker that would have signified the end of all the Attitude Era BS.

The battle royal was meh with a small push for Baron Corbin.

Why would you make the Wyatts look so weak? A 6 second match? Has the Rock Bottom become so strong that it can take out a fresh wrestler in one hit?

The WWE title match was fine, but HHH should have never had the title in the first place.

This WrestleMania need to be good, it needed to be full of pushes for the new blood especially after all the injuries last year. I'm not sure where they are going with the storyline, but unless it's something like a NXT invasion it don't see it going anywhere good.  

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

C'mon, don't overreact, that was just entertainment, Bray had nothing to do, and even "Mr Rock" lol, said that Bray is a beloved wrestler in  WWE Universe.

No, soultaker655 is right. As if Bray and The Wyatts don't already look terrible, this kind of cements them all as a legit joke. I wasn't shocked that they did this. Just... wow.

• Like 1

WrestleMania wasn't great, everyone knew Roman reign was going to win, NXT takeover was way better

Of course it was, great PPV. Waiting for Bayley debut in RAW tomorrow.

No, soultaker655 is right. As if Bray and The Wyatts don't already look terrible, this kind of cements them all as a legit joke. I wasn't shocked that they did this. Just... wow.

Ok, ok no more comments in favor of Mr Rock segment.  :(

Which is why I mentioned the Social Outcasts instead. Rock was great and it would have been funny if the 4 Social Outcasts came out and they challenged Rock to a match. Rock rock bottoms all of them and beats them all. Sure he is still burying talent but at least he is burying the jobber team and not the team we are supposed to be taking seriously.

Which is why I mentioned the Social Outcasts instead. Rock was great and it would have been funny if the 4 Social Outcasts came out and they challenged Rock to a match. Rock rock bottoms all of them and beats them all. Sure he is still burying talent but at least he is burying the jobber team and not the team we are supposed to be taking seriously.

Yeah the Social Outcasts would have been better canidates for that segment.

You could take it even further then that. Let the Social Outcasts challenge the Rock and have one of them get a school boy/roll up win. That makes the Social Outcasts look like a jobber team that could still beat you if you let your guard down and then the Rock and Cena could have done their stuff while the Social Outcasts are celebrating. It's simple, it gives the Social Outcasts a WrestleMania push and the Rock and Cena will still be the Rock and Cena.

Yeah, he did. Brock needs to lose to someone who needs the push. Fans like Ambrose WWE, why not pull the trigger? Lame booking decision. 

With all of his losses to Bray and Rollins last year and then losing to HHH, Roman and Brock this year he just looks like a guy who can't win. I mean would it have been so horrible for him to win sometimes?

Yeah the Social Outcasts would have been better canidates for that segment.

You could take it even further then that. Let the Social Outcasts challenge the Rock and have one of them get a school boy/roll up win. That makes the Social Outcasts look like a jobber team that could still beat you if you let your guard down and then the Rock and Cena could have done their stuff while the Social Outcasts are celebrating. It's simple, it gives the Social Outcasts a WrestleMania push and the Rock and Cena will still be the Rock and Cena.

Exactly, this is why WM30 worked so well. Rock, Austin and Hogan came out and were in a segment by themselves. Austin put over all the talented stars who are going to bust their asses, Rock put over Bryan and Cena, Hogan put over Mania...they did their jobs and put over the product.

WM32...they did their jobs and buried the current product.

Makes no sense.

• Like 2

The booking was complete shit just about all the way around. 7 hours of show and they literally elevated fucking no one. Maybe Corbin but we saw what winning that did for Cesaro last year. Could have made Zayn a star. Could have had Styles win and launch him into a few feud. Could have made Ambrose look better. Could have Sasha or Becky win. What was the point of Undertaker and Shane? Nobody likes their handpicked champ. 

Good thing NXT just keeps getting better and better. 

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure how to verbalize my feelings about Mania. Angry? Furious? Disappointed? Sad? A mix of all of these things and many more, yes, but all under a thick coat of numbness. I didn't expect the world, but when you get 85,000 people (the actual number) in a stadium for your biggest show ever, I didn't expect absolute fucking dogshit. But expectations be damned.

Kalisto vs. Ryback - Didn't watch it, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Kalisto won. A sensible ending, what a novel concept that one became more and more novel as the night dragged on.

Team Total Divas vs. Team B.A.D. And Blonde - Didn't watch much of this either, was mostly checking twitter, and reading reports of thousands being stuck outside in the sun because the stadium's wi-fi died and they couldn't scan tickets. But what I saw was fine. The babyface (I guess?) team won, and Brie put on an impressive Yes! Lock to pull it off, so I'm fine with this match.

The Usos vs. The Dudley Boyz - Does anyone care? I don't care. It all culminated in the exact same table spot they did on TV a week ago, so, yeah, great. 

The Intercontinental Ladder Match - Probably either the best or second best show on the card, got me really hyped for the rest of the show. KO & Zayn killed it, and Sin Cara even pulled out some impressive moves, without botching once. KO getting suplexed on the ladder was probably the second roughest bump of the night, apart from Shane's. Ryder going over was shocking, absolutely, and a nice moment for him, but the guy's been discredited for years. He's the biggest jobber outside of the Social Outcasts, and now we're supposed to take him seriously as a champion? It makes no sense when you actually think about it, but compared to the rest of this shitshow, it looks like stellar booking.

Chris Jericho vs. AJ Styles - Why? Why. Why. Why. Fucking why. If there's a silver lining, I don't think anyone was buried here, and the Clash isn't banned, but AJ REALLY deserved that win, and could've done so much more with it than Jericho will. And kicking out of the Styles Clash TWICE? That move was the most over move in Japan for years, and here, it might as well be a fucking powerbomb. The match was largely fine, but the crowd really didn't care, perhaps because they've seen it so many times over the last few weeks, and Styles deserves better than to still be feuding with dad bod, after winning their rubber match. Y2AJ probably would've been better than this.

The New Day vs. League Of Nations - This match had no business happening after LON got beat at Roadblock. New Day is the hottest team in the company, they had the best entrance & gear all night, and they lost a nothing non-title match to a team that will surely be broken up within a month and a half. And I won't accept "but the legends needed someone to beat up" as an answer, 'cause there's no way that wasn't tacked on in the last minute. Also, they ending up beating the New Day up too. A recurring theme here, old, over the hill guys who can't go anymore, making young would-be stars look weak for a cheap, temporary pop that serves no one. FUCK THIS SHOW.

Brock Lesnar vs. Dean Ambrose - Ambrose came from CZW, he bashed people over the head with glass, he got thrown into ropes made of barbed wire, and he's recently been gifted a chainsaw and a barbed wire baseball bat. And what kind of match do we get? Nothing remotely like any of that whatsoever! If WWE is going to have street fights, there needs to be some actual violence, some element of danger, and this was tame. Nakamura vs. Zayn was INFINITELY more hard-hitting than this. This was tamer and less violent than every NORMAL, STIPULATION-FREE Lesnar match I can think of. Lesnar did 12 suplexes, and an F5, and called it a day. Really earning your 6 million there, pal. And again, an old guy who could've afforded a setback pins a young guy who could use a victory way more. Going up to Fastlane, Raw was the Dean Ambrose show, he was cutting great promos and looked like a legit badass. Where does he go now? This match ended with a whimper. No one benefits from this whatsoever.

Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch - Maybe the match of the night, although it was generally fairly sloppy. Still must've had more compelling spots than any other match, IC & HIAC included. Sasha came out looking like a fucking champion, paying tribute to Guerrero, and the crowd was behind her in a BIG way. So who wins? The exact person nobody wanted to see win! Again! Because fuck you, we already have your money! Sasha deserved to be the one to hold the WOMEN'S championship high here, it was the right call, and they fucked it up for no discernible reason. There was no bigger moment, there will never be a bigger moment, and she got fucking robbed. Shit booking, again. Charlotte's good, but this was not her fucking event.

The Undertaker vs. Shane McMahon - So, Shane gets cheered for saying the show sucks, and that he's going to change it. And people embrace it in a big way. Normal, sane people would've taken the hint, but Vince is neither of those things, so he took a concise storyline, added 50 stipulations to it so nobody knows who they want to win, and has fans leave the building thinking that his company is still in - what was acknowledged to be - the wrong hands, and it will never change. Because everybody wants to tune into a show they think is run by incompetent fools, apparently. The jump off the cell will go down in history, and the rest of the match was better than I thought the crowd was giving it credit for. It wasn't a bad match at all, but the finish is just disastrous. I can't believe that people this stupid have been allowed to accrue this much wealth.

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal - I barely payed attention to this, again, because twitter. Eliminating Sandow like he's nothing was weak. Shaq showing up was random, but he didn't do anything, so... yeah, don't care. I'm not sure a 9 minute battle royal is enough to get Corbin over, I don't know if he's the right guy, I probably would've gone with Joe, but it is what it is. Corbin is basically Reigns, minus the nepotism and the hair. I'm sure Vince loves him, but I've seen him cut one good promo ever, and he's nowhere near the upper echelon of talent in NXT. Itami did nothing in last year's battle royal, and Corbin wins? Weak.

The Rock Being The Rock Or Whatever - I was still mostly paying attention to twitter, so I missed most of the Rock's five minute "hey look I have a flamethrower isn't that cool pay attention to that rather than how everything in this show has been devised to crush your dreams" bit, and I'm fine with that. What was the point of that? So Rock can post a pic of the lit "ROCK" set piece on his instagram and get 900,000 likes? I'm kinda thinking that's the entire point. He talked about nothing for what seemed like another 10 minutes, and for the first time I can remember, he looked completely lost out there. Just the same old lines about Rock babies, and smiling faces, it was really weird. Wyatt came out and legitimately outshined the Rock on the mic, and seemed to win the crowd over to his side, which... good for him. Rock started to almost put him over a bit, but then remembered that he's the Rock, so he called them all inbred shitkickers, pinned Rowan in 6 seconds, and brought out another old, over the hill guy to beat up someone who deserves better. This segment sucked.

HHH vs. A Physical Manifestation Of Vince McMahon's Senility - Steph tried whipping out the same authority promo that every McMahon has been regurgitating since the late-90's to get some heel heat, but the crowd was still solidly behind HHH, because they're adults with functioning cerebellums. The match was average, because they're two average wrestlers. Nothing about this surprised any fan (aside from perhaps the spear on Steph, which was a thing), which is makes this all the more infuriating. They seemed to go out of their way to make things unpredictable, but at every step, they gave people something WORSE than what they had predicted. In this ONE case, they gave people what they expected, and it's the ONE MATCH ABOVE ALL where NOBODY FUCKING WANTED THAT. People wanted Sasha, and AJ, and The New Day, and they got Reigns. Standing tall. Still supposed to be a face. Still fucking hated. Nobody wins. 

I got back into wrestling almost exactly one year ago, and WM 31 was my first PPV back. Even though the build sucked, they managed to put together something incredible. I wasn't expecting that kind of quality this year, but I absolutely wasn't expecting this. This show was just soul-crushing. They are actively punishing people for thinking, and the idea that I should keep supporting this product seems borderline masochistic. NXT is great, they have Nakamura, and things can always turn around, but Vince and Kevin Dunn need to get the fuck out immediately. This was a massive failure, and if they keep digging this hole, my $9.99 would probably be better spent on NJPW World.

They could've done so much better, even with all the injuries. Just have Sasha go over, and instead of making the new title reveal so clinical, have Banks pull a Medusa, and get a reaction out of it. Make it mean something. Instead, THEY have to take credit for it. They can't let Sasha have that moment, they can't have anyone getting over, they can't admit that the Divas title was an insult, even though they kinda totally are by replacing it. They can't commit to anything meaningful, and it's killing this brand.

They could've had Dean win at Fastlane, and go onto face HHH. Their feud is no less substantial than Reigns' gripe with the authority, if anything it's more severe. Worst case scenario, at least turn Roman heel, but they can't even get that right. They have no idea what anyone wants at this point, and there's no excuse for that. This is late-era WCW kind of stupid, and when their ratings and house show attendance keep falling, they'll have no one to blame but the deluded old bastards at the top. Fuck this company.

• Like 2

Everybody is hating on this WrestleMania but this WM was, for me at least, one of the best in years. For years now I've been struggling with WWE's look for the future, I definitely don't like what they have done to everyone I cared for in the past few years so I started to lost hope for my passion, and that's really sad because I have love for it and nostalgia has hitted me real hard to not give up. But really I couldn't do it. Last year I watched only Royal Rumble, FastLane and WrestleMania and it sucked big time, I hated it like no other WrestleMania for so many reasons, but that's other discussion. 

• I think the reason I loved this so much is that, the nostalgia factor and I want to explain this for every match on the main card. It started with the USA ladder match, I saw some Kevin Owens work on summer, maybe one or three matches of him, and he looked cool but I wanted to see more of him, which I did this Road to WrestleMania and now I'm a big fan of him now, he's the finest heel WWE has right now and he's been doing an incredible job so props for that, he deserves it. I really like some of these guys wrestling on this match, I love Cody (who unbelievably can pull of any character), Sami and Dolph. Even though the match itself was a great match, we have seen better. Still it got awesome spots, Cody with all of the Dusty Rhodes tribute, that sick move of Zayn to Owens hitting the ladder, Sin Cara landing on Rhodes and Miz almost winning but instead they went with Zack Ryder, that was from out of nowhere. I'm not a fan of Ryder by any means but I saw his career die, he truly deserved this moment and I'm happy for him.
  • Then we got Y2J/AJ which was an awesome match, I'm a big fan of these two but I think Jericho needed this win. He has been downgraded in the last couple of years. He has lost and lost and lost so many times I couldn't see him winning anymore. I don't care he got out of the Styles Clash, it brought an intense moment were I really felt that was it. Styles just battled one of the greats on his very first WrestleMania, not counting that AJ has already defeated Jericho before, even by submission. With this win, Jericho can push more talent.
  • This is where I thought I will start felling asleep and the match was boring as hell, but we got freakin' Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley and Steve Austin saving it. We can argue that they're not making talent, but seriously do I care about LON or New Day? No, I don't and they won't make me care about them (I love BNB but he is leaving from what I've heard.). When HBK's (it is my favorite wrestler ever) music played and he came out I felt something I didn't felt for years, for those kind of moments, then Mick Foley and Steve Austin came out and for god's sake it was like turning on something that was dead for years, but not completely. 
  • Here is one of the things I hated... Dean/Brock. Dean Ambrose is my favorite current wrestler and I expected him to lose (after all no one can beat Brock not even Taker) and Brock is a really entertaining guy, they could have done a lot more. I thought they were going to be the best match, Ambrose could have pulled off that crazy guy and just destroyed Brock with anything he had, doing whatever he needed to do. But they didn't do it, they went for the boring idea of Brock dominate the match yet again.
  • Then we got the Womens match, as a note I liked the title it does look like it should: a championship. This was one of the best womens match in WrestleMania history, if not the best. I'm comfortable with them being the next generation to give more justice to the division (needs more Paige though) 
  • Now, the best part, hands down the best of the night, The Undertaker vs Shane McMahon. I loved the match and this was the match that reminded me my passion. Ever since I started watching WWE I have had a crazy dream about an elbow drop from the top of the Hell in a Cell. Every match I always thought how epic would that be. Recently, the structure changed and was far more higher so my dreams about seeing that spot simply wasn't possible, even with the old cage it was a stunt that no one had the guts to do and I don't blame them. But Shane did it and it is now one of the greatest moments I've seen in wrestling, my dream came true. Thank you, WWE, for that awesome moment that I will never forget.
  • The BR was boring but I didn't hate it, Baron Corbin is cool, not the best in my card but I hope he does well. 
  • The Rock came out, gave his usual promo. Every time he comes out I don't care if he is doing it another time, he's The Rock and he is entertaining. I don't like Bray Wyatt, I think he's overrated and boring. I don't understand how he gets praised by his in-ring performances and mic. I only see him as an average wrestler which gives a random promo with no real reason for every feud he has, I don't like that. He interfered The Rock's promo (like he does with everyone, he just inserts himself because why not? and he has messed up great storylines like Ambrose/Seth) and gave his lazy promo, I was like please don't build this for a match between the two. The Rock shutted him up and buried poor Eric Rowan and then Cena came out and buried Bray Wyatt also. This was entertaining. 
  • Then it was Roman vs. Triple H. I don't need to elaborate on this one. It was bad and everybody knows why. The promo though, that was a really awesome video package, A7X in WWE was something I hoped to see in WWE one day.

Well I thought I wasn't capable of typing so much but here you go, an honest opinion about someone who loved this WrestleMania, a different perspective. But it is ONLY my opinion and I understand you if you don't agree. If you want me to elaborate on more specific things, I can do it.

• Like 1

This was such a shit Wrestlemania, with some of the weirdest booking choices.

Zack Ryder is IC champion, why? Who the fuck still cares about Ryder?

Jericho over AJ, why? Jericho/AJ 4 at Summerslam?

Team Rusev over New Day, why? Why did those 3 legends need to get involved anyway?

Charlotte over Sasha and Becky? Fuck this choice, seriously (still the best match of the night)

Undertaker over Shane? What was the point of the whole "I'll control WWE" stipulation then?

Brock over Dean was the only match that was booked correctly.

Fuck The Rock. Fuck John Cena. Stop burying Bray Wyatt.

Roman over HHH was the most predictable match ending ever. Everyone called it back in January, after Royal Rumble.

Overall, this Wrestlemania sucked. The only highlights were the new Women's Championship, the Women's triple threat (minus the ending), New Day DBZ gear, and Shane's attempted suicide elbow drop.

I hope my prediction is correct, and WWE just gave up on Wrestlemania. I hope Summerslam becomes the "what should've happened" show.

Everybody else pretty much summed it up perfectly. But I'm just gonna say this.

That ending for the Women's Title sucked. Don't get me wrong. The match was amazing. Best match of the night. It pushed Women's wrestling even farther than it already had been lately. But Sasha deserved that title. At Wrestlemania.

I really hope there's more in the works with the Shane story, because if not, that was a fucking pointless story.

And might I just say, it seems so backwards to me that Nakamura is in developmental while Roman is the champion.

Sometimes I think we live in a weird, sick world....

Seems I'm one of very few that isn't whining about last night's events. People just complaining because the guys they wanted to win didn't win?! I mean what the hell, they were a couple of matches where they probably didn't have the best ending or the correct winner but we still had some excellent wrestling matches. Surely that is the important part? Sasha should have won, Reigns is just hopeless full stop and the Shane angle seems pointless now he has lost but other than that it was a good night.

Edited by freddie1989

Seems I'm one of very few that isn't whining about last night's events. People just complaining because the guys they wanted to win didn't win?! I mean what the hell, they were a couple of matches where they probably didn't have the best ending or the correct winner but we still had some excellent wrestling matches. Surely that is the important part? Sasha should have won, Reigns is just hopeless full stop and the Shane angle seems pointless now he has lost but other than that it was a good night.

You honestly can't see why people are upset about last night's booking?  If so than please explain to me the point of the entire Shane/Undertaker build.  Shane lost, so as of right now The Authority still runs the show.  Taker won so his "last Wrestlemania" stipulation was for nothing.  They barely even mentioned it during the match.  Seems like a potential last match for a legend like Taker would be worth talking about to me.  There was absolutely NO payoff to that entire storyline.

Moving on.  Last I heard, Jericho's contract only went to Wrestlemania, so as of right now, he's gone.  You know who isn't?  AJ Styles.  But, they put Jericho over and now have to find a way to restart on someone who's debut blew the roof off the place because he went under to a part timer.  That sound logical to you?

Next up.  The IC title.  KO and Sami Zayn have a huge history together and only produce magic when they work a program.  So what's the most logical choice for an IC title program?  Well giving it to Zack Ryder of course.  You know, the guy that 1% of the fanbase cared about 5 years ago.  Sounds legit to me.

Oh yeah, Reigns got to end another PPV standing tall to a chorus of boo's too.  Whoopie.

I'm the 1st to call people out for "whining" but last night was a glaring example of WWE (more specifically Vince) being completely disconnected from his audience.

• Like 2

You honestly can't see why people are upset about last night's booking?  If so than please explain to me the point of the entire Shane/Undertaker build.  Shane lost, so as of right now The Authority still runs the show.  Taker won so his "last Wrestlemania" stipulation was for nothing.  They barely even mentioned it during the match.  Seems like a potential last match for a legend like Taker would be worth talking about to me.  There was absolutely NO payoff to that entire storyline.

Moving on.  Last I heard, Jericho's contract only went to Wrestlemania, so as of right now, he's gone.  You know who isn't?  AJ Styles.  But, they put Jericho over and now have to find a way to restart on someone who's debut blew the roof off the place because he went under to a part timer.  That sound logical to you?

Next up.  The IC title.  KO and Sami Zayn have a huge history together and only produce magic when they work a program.  So what's the most logical choice for an IC title program?  Well giving it to Zack Ryder of course.  You know, the guy that 1% of the fanbase cared about 5 years ago.  Sounds legit to me.

Oh yeah, Reigns got to end another PPV standing tall to a chorus of boo's too.  Whoopie.

I'm the 1st to call people out for "whining" but last night was a glaring example of WWE (more specifically Vince) being completely disconnected from his audience.

All fair points BUT the one glaring detail that is missing is the fact that we had excellent wrestling matches!! I agree entirely with most of what you say, Shane should have won, AJ should have won. Reigns has the charisma of a salad bowl and needs to be got rid of. The matches themselves were good though. We haven't seen women's wrestling like that for years it is usually hair pulling and slaps. AJ and Jericho put on a clinic of great technical wrestling. Shane jumping from the cell are the sort of high impact exciting moments it needs as opposed to all this PG stuff.