What's your all-time favorite controller?

Zenpai

150 members have voted

1. 1. What's your all-time favorite controller?

• Dualshock 1+2
    • Dualshock 3
    • Dualshock 4
    • Xbox Controller
    • Xbox 360 Controller
    • Xbox One Controller
    • Nintendo 64 Controller
    • Gamecube Controller
    • Wiimote
    • Wii U GamePad
    • Other
  2. 2. What's the most comfortable handheld?

I voted Wii U gamepad, I'm now officially half the people who voted for that. 

At first it looks clunky as balls but when you use it, I'll be damned if it isn't as close to perfect as you can get. I was one of those guys who preferred the original DualShock design (and by extension, the PS2 and 3 revisions) over a 360 controller, and I was about to go on about how I usually prefer a smaller control but the mention of the 360 reminded me how much I love the OG Xbox controller, the slim version anyway, whatever you want to call it. Controller S I think it was, either way, I'm tempted to go back and pick that, since NO ONE ELSE DID (What in the blue hell is up with that?) but I'll stick with this one. Anyway, it's a damn good remote, and playing a 2 player game, on 2 screens, without needing 2 TVs, 2 copies of the game, and of course 2 console to play them on, that's just gravy.

Admittedly though, before I saw that was an option, I was gonna say the PSP (in particular the 2000/3000, though I can easily spend hours on the PSP Go) is so superbly designed from an ergonomic standpoint. That thing is light, but it feels substantial. It's thin, but not flimsy. Ignoring the screen and looking at it entirely from the controls alone, this thing has incredibly tactile buttons, I freaking LOVE that analog nub thing, the L and R buttons feel a lot more clickier and more responsive when compared to the Vita's. And most importantly there's no gimmicks. Not since the DualShock 2 can you say PlayStation has had a gimmick free control setup. Think about it, PS3 had Sixaxis which wasn't too obtrusive or anything but still. PS4 has the touch pad thing which again, isn't a problem but it's still there. Vita has 2 freaking touch screens and whatnot. Then you got the PSP, a simple, elegant control scheme that should feel familiar to old and new games alike. 

Honestly, if it was an option, I'd say the PSP is the best controller of all time, however, as it's not, I'll stick with the Wii U gamepad, which is essentially a big ass PSP anyway.

I voted Wii U gamepad, I'm now officially half the people who voted for that. 

At first it looks clunky as balls but when you use it, I'll be damned if it isn't as close to perfect as you can get. I was one of those guys who preferred the original DualShock design (and by extension, the PS2 and 3 revisions) over a 360 controller, and I was about to go on about how I usually prefer a smaller control but the mention of the 360 reminded me how much I love the OG Xbox controller, the slim version anyway, whatever you want to call it. Controller S I think it was, either way, I'm tempted to go back and pick that, since NO ONE ELSE DID (What in the blue hell is up with that?) but I'll stick with this one. Anyway, it's a damn good remote, and playing a 2 player game, on 2 screens, without needing 2 TVs, 2 copies of the game, and of course 2 console to play them on, that's just gravy.

Admittedly though, before I saw that was an option, I was gonna say the PSP (in particular the 2000/3000, though I can easily spend hours on the PSP Go) is so superbly designed from an ergonomic standpoint. That thing is light, but it feels substantial. It's thin, but not flimsy. Ignoring the screen and looking at it entirely from the controls alone, this thing has incredibly tactile buttons, I freaking LOVE that analog nub thing, the L and R buttons feel a lot more clickier and more responsive when compared to the Vita's. And most importantly there's no gimmicks. Not since the DualShock 2 can you say PlayStation has had a gimmick free control setup. Think about it, PS3 had Sixaxis which wasn't too obtrusive or anything but still. PS4 has the touch pad thing which again, isn't a problem but it's still there. Vita has 2 freaking touch screens and whatnot. Then you got the PSP, a simple, elegant control scheme that should feel familiar to old and new games alike. 

Honestly, if it was an option, I'd say the PSP is the best controller of all time, however, as it's not, I'll stick with the Wii U gamepad, which is essentially a big ass PSP anyway.

It's funny how you say you hate gimmicks (and I'm 100% with you on that) but then you voted on the Wii U gamepad, which is essentially a giant gimmick in and of itself :lol:

Maybe they didn't anticipate that people would be bugged by it and there simply isn't a switch in the DS4's circuitry that would allow you to turn it off completely?

Really? I've had none of these issues! I have stuck some tough thumbstick-caps over the sticks though, because I felt the tops were a little too small.

They already have the option to change the brightness of the light, they obviously knew people wouldn't want it there.

Maybe they didn't anticipate that people would be bugged by it and there simply isn't a switch in the DS4's circuitry that would allow you to turn it off completely?

There's a way to use a DS4 controller with computers and it's possible to control the colors that come out of the light. If you set the color to black (000000) then it turns the light off. It seems like it should be possible to do on the ps4 since it can be done on a computer.

They already have the option to change the brightness of the light, they obviously knew people wouldn't want it there.

Wasn't that added in later after people complained? It does seem strange that they'd exclude something like that though. Yet Sony seem to exclude the small, simple features often

Edited by Kurisu

I know I've said it before in this thread, but I really don't like the PS4 controller. It hurts my hand so bad. Been doing some intense 2D platforming for some few hours, and I always have to adjust my fingers etc so that it doesn't cause serious pain. Both d-pad and that little gap below the L2 and R2 buttons. Oh, and f*** that light.

I'm so glad I bought this little USB bluetooth adapter, so I can connect my PS3 controllers wireless to PC! :D Seriously, just press the button as usual, and it's connected. If I don't use it for a while, it automatically turns off. :)

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One thing I've always hated about the PS4 is the very bright light at the end of the controller. Oh, I do know that I can turn the brightness down, but it's still blinding in certain situation, especially when it's dark. Just extremely annoying that you can't just turn it off when you don't want it on.

Not long ago, I had to open the controller to check on something. Turns out the d-pad plastic filter under the d-pad buttons are kinda messed up. Too much N++ I think, because it was just right-left buttons. But basically holes in 'em, so I will need new plastic.

On to the point, I also discovered how the controller powers the light. Unfortunately, there's not like this one small cable you must disconnect to not power the light. I'm no good with the technical terms in English, but there's this small thin plastic cable, which has metal stripes on it. Each of these stripes transports power for something in the controller. If you look at the metal stripes, the three or four metal stripes to the very right leads the power for the light. So if you want to disconnect the lights, you gotta block the connection for these. One way to do this is to use some tape, preferably a type of type that is meant to not lead any electricity, and just tape over these 3-4 metal stripes. One for each color. Just getting the one to the very right cuts out the most common light. The tape gotta be somewhat thin, so the cable actually fits back into where it should be. Just make sure to not disconnect too many of the metal stripes, because then the controller won't recharge. I've done this, and it has worked fine for some few weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't get all the lights, so I still got the green light, but it's pretty rarely used, usually only while the PS4 is booting up.

Edited by MMDE

After using the DS4 for a few months I'm sticking with liking the DS3 the most. 

I just can't get with the start/select buttons being changed/removed. I still hit the damn touchpad in the middle when wanting to press pause. And I also don't like the touchpad in the middle either. I find it extremely annoying. Get rid of that shit for a bigger battery lmfao.

Analogs are 50/50 for me. I don't like the dip in the DS4's analog sticks but they feel better and more responsive. 

I'm in the minority it seems with the DS3. It feels more durable in my hands than the DS4 does. :dunno: However the DS4 is just a bit wider feeling which I like.

Oh ho the damn L2/R2 buttons. :angry: the DS4 is far too sensitive. I place the controller down lightly and I still end up throwing a damn grenade in my games.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of the DS4. 
While I do prefer it to the DS3 and lower, I like the feel and durability of the Xbox One controller. The weight of the DS4 as well as it's durability makes it feel really cheap. I take care of my controllers and keep them clean. My DS4 controllers both have some sort of issue, either due to manufacturing or durability. 

My base controller has a sticky R1 Button, and it's really annoying because it's brand new, barely used. And no, I didn't drop it or spill anything into it. The controller was just put together poorly. 
My main controller is a blue DS4 controller. I barely used it and the rubber off of the left analog is already showing signs of wear. 

My Day One and Titanfall Xbox One controllers on the other hand, have had major use and show no signs of wear what so ever. I can throw the damn thing against a concrete wall, and it will still be good to go. 

I can't say I feel as confident with DS4.