(Leak) No new Assassin's Creed title in 2016, setting for the 2017 game supposedly leaked

madbuk

http://kotaku.com/sources-next-big-assassins-creed-set-in-egypt-skippin-1750937895

Every fall for the past six years, Ubisoft has released at least one big newAssassin’s Creed gameThis year, the mega-publisher could be breaking tradition, skipping fall for the first time since 2009, according to a number of sources speaking both to Kotaku and others.

Apparently this one is going to be a huge change to the formula, taking place in a time where Ubisoft won't have to worry about "historical accuracy". Honestly, that scares me. The entire series is based around it being historically accurate - everything that happened in the games could have happened in real life.

There is more information here, which I won't go into in case you don't want to be spoiled: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191191986&postcount=1

At least we have Assassin's Creed Chronicles... Apart from Unity being a buggy mess, I haven't actually been disappointed in the quality of any of the titles yet (I've barely started Syndicate yet), so having to go a year without any new major titles will be a little upsetting.

In terms of gameplay this could be the best thing they need, every game seemed similar with a new element or two added in.

Doing one every year is why people got bored of the series in the first place. I never though, I loved them. I hope they keep it historically accurate. That is one of the main reasons I enjoy the series so much.

Wow, I would've never though Ubisoft would have actually taken a year break with this franchise, very surprised!

Glad they're doing it though, I was certain they were just gonna run the franchise into the ground with yearly releases until they were done with it :P

Whilst I will sorely miss my yearly Assassin's Creed, I'm worried that not having to worry about historical accuracy will mean they'll do something weird like go to the future or something like that.

Well since it is set in Egypt, and since a lot of ancient Egyptian history is hazy due to it being passed down by word of mouth only, I bet they take some liberties with the historical accuracy of it, but I don't think it'll be too farfetched....I hope.

Makes sense, they have to rebulid that good will that they started to lose after Assassin's Creed 3.  Also, it gives the series a breather so they can look properly which route they want to take AC. AC Unity was a big problem for them and AC S, even with the Sony promotion didn't help. I hope Acty, EA and others take note. I'm glad MS also took note as well.

Edited by FlareXV

As an AC fan since day one, I'm really happy to read this, this is what Assassin's Creed needs and what fans deserve, an evolution of the franchise. I hope this turns out to be true. 

There is really talented people in those studios, they only need more time.  

I'm glad they are taking a break, even though it's only one game a year it's really starting to tire me out playing them even though it's 12 months apart. So I think not having a new Ac game for 24 months will make me crave one :)

That's actually quite a big possibility. They've filed a domain name for a collection.untitled11xm3.png

That "collection" could very well be the same as the MGS "collection", a clothing line not re-release of PS3 games on PS4. Well it's like the PS4 has made a habit of making you pay for games you already own.

I have mixed thoughts on this. I haven't really minded the annualization, but have always thought that if they were going to commit to fixing some of the issues that have long-plagued the series then they should absolutely do it.

However, given that this has already been in development for a while, it seems unlikely that they're going to give the controls and mechanics a much-needed overhaul. I dunno. I'm skeptical that this means we're going to get all of the fixes we want.

With the movie coming out in 2016, this is a smart move. People would probably expect a game based on a movie, and we know the stereotype of games based on movies here. Also, the 2016 movie with no new games gives Ubi a chance to sell some more existing games. 

I haven't picked any up since III and still need to grind out those MP trophies for everything before then, but the break can only help both the movie and 2017's games do better.

I am a huge fan of Assassin's Creed. But they definitely need to shake the formula up a bit. With the exception of the naval combat and traversal they introduced in AC 3 and AC:Black Flag, it's really getting monotonous. I really enjoyed Syndicate, but once i'm done with the DLC pack, i think this will be my last AC game until they can mix it up a bit.

A break from their 'one title a year' approach could be the best thing to happen to the franchise in years.

Well since it is set in Egypt, and since a lot of ancient Egyptian history is hazy due to it being passed down by word of mouth only, I bet they take some liberties with the historical accuracy of it, but I don't think it'll be too farfetched....I hope.

I had no idea hieroglyphics were considered oral history. I guess that Rosetta Stone's a bunch of BS!