Platinum Rarity

Dani061094

On 20-6-2016 at 7:42 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I've started this game yesterday - haven't gotten a trophy yet but I did update my trophy information afterwards.

It's not showing up on here though, even though my other 0% games do show up. Might be something with the game that makes PSNprofiles not see everyone who has it started without obtaining a trophy, and since this game probably has a lot of people deserting it before the first trophy...

As said by others, the PSN completion percentage is still high. About 7% compared to Assassin's Creed II with about 4%...

Yeah, I now know that empty lists only show up after you've actually obtained a trophy in whatever game afterwards. I was on this site less than a month back then.

I never got far in the game though. I actually defeated Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne, which are often called the most difficult bosses in the main story, but I had to delete the game for a while to play something else and when I reinstalled, it couldn't read my savegame any more because the game "has not finished downloading"... Bullcrap. So I traded the game for something else, I'll try again with the GOTY if I find one.

1 hour ago, hazeblunt said:

Easy answer. More than half of the people here cheated. If you look at the timestamps, you will notice that almost everyone used the usb glitch. 

What is the "usb glitch"?

Also, thread necromancy!

2 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

The USB method is not a glitch and cheating depends on your definition of the word. They simply mean platting the game in 1 playthrough by backing up your save then downloading it to get all 3 endings in one go. There are plenty of games this method can be used on. I did this even though looking back 3 playthroughs would have been a lot of fun given how much I loved the game but my game backlog won't shrink itself.

Thanks for the explanation. Nah I would not call that cheating, that's just being creative. I used USB saves on X360 to get a no death run in Magrunner (hey, I no-deathed between all individual checkpoints, just not at once). If it's just about the endings, it's even less cheating since you've proven by then you can beat the game once while beating all bosses legitimately, so two more runs should not be a problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nah I would not call that cheating, that's just being creative.

I wouldn't call it cheating either, cheap and cheesy maybe but not cheating. In the end the only way it could be considered cheating is that your cheating yourself out of playing even more of, IMO, the best PS4 game to date.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

I wouldn't call it cheating either, cheap and cheesy maybe but not cheating. In the end the only way it could be considered cheating is that your cheating yourself out of playing even more of, IMO, the best PS4 game to date.

There are more games with multiple endings that can be manipulated this way. With Fable II, it's simply a matter of closing the game before the end credits are done and then reloading your last checkpoint.

I certainly think that Bloodborne is cool (from what I've played), if annoying that they never fixed that savegame bug after redownloading the game (I noticed many more people have had problems with this). I'd say that Super Star Wars is the best game on PS4 though xD if we're only looking at actual PS4 games... I don't know. Games like The Crew, Shadow Of Mordor, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, Arkham Knight, Just Cause 3, DOOM and Journey were certainly pure joy back when I played them. I'd probably go with Just Cause 3... Jeez, I need to get back to that game!

It's rarity is actually this high, because during the first few months the game suffered from a glitch where, the longer you played the easier it got. So basically every one that platted it during the first few months got the plat gifted to them.

http://kotaku.com/bad-bloodborne-bug-makes-boss-battles-way-too-easy-1695696861

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-06-bloodborne-bug-makes-game-easier-if-left-running-too-long

18 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

It's rarity is actually this high, because during the first few months the game suffered from a glitch where, the longer you played the easier it got. So basically every one that platted it during the first few months got the plat gifted to them.

http://kotaku.com/bad-bloodborne-bug-makes-boss-battles-way-too-easy-1695696861

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-06-bloodborne-bug-makes-game-easier-if-left-running-too-long

While this may have contributed to it slightly, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people who played this around launch weren't aware, or didn't exploit this glitch. I know I didn't. I mean how many people would be willing leave the game running for more than 12 hours? It wasn't something you just came across during normal gameplay. I can't imagine it affected the rarity by any significant amount.

The reason why it's so common is that the platinum isn't actually very hard. The plat for Dark Souls is also quite common, and Bloodborne's plat is even easier. You also have to consider that people who play Bloodborne know full well what they're getting into at this point; many of them probably already played another Souls-like title in the past. The games themselves may be considered difficult, but the platinums certainly aren't, with Bloodborne's plat being one of the easiest.

Edited by Undead Wolf

5 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

The reason why it's so common is that the platinum isn't actually very hard. The plat for Dark Souls is also quite common, and Bloodborne's plat is even easier. You also have to consider that people who play Bloodborne know full well what they're getting into at this point; many of them probably already played another Souls-like title in the past. The games themselves may be considered difficult, but the platinums certainly aren't, with Bloodborne's plat being one of the easiest.

This. Not to mention you can just straight up co-op every boss.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Co-op is destroying much of the difficulty of these games. I remember watching a video of a guy playing with some friends, and he wasn't doing crap while the others were doing most of the job. 

Having said this, these trophies look awesome in the sense of placing a to-do list, that any completionist will love. Most souls gamers already play these games consulting guides, due to all the secrets and strategies that are way less obvious than regular games, so in the process they also learn of how to get the platinum and get the full experience.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Far Cry 3 / 4, other Ubisoft games might have a lower platinum rarity because they're so boring, I can't even describe the pain of having to log in after the main campaign. Whereas in Bloodborne, I would keep going for the next challenge, because even trying and failing is satisfying. And eventually overcoming these challenges are inevitable if you're having a good time, slowly learning new tricks.

But Far Cry 3 was glorious, far cry 4 at the end was grindy and could therefore become boring. I just think there are better examples to give in this situation. Such as wildlands, or even final fantasy XIII where the end grind is so tedious it becomes hard to stay interested. Although based off of what you are saying I have decided to give blood born a shot even though I barely touched any of the souls games. Everyone seems to love this one so may as well give it a shot.

17 minutes ago, serialkilla1987 said:

But Far Cry 3 was glorious, far cry 4 at the end was grindy and could therefore become boring. I just think there are better examples to give in this situation. Such as wildlands, or even final fantasy XIII where the end grind is so tedious it becomes hard to stay interested. Although based off of what you are saying I have decided to give blood born a shot even though I barely touched any of the souls games. Everyone seems to love this one so may as well give it a shot.

I've started three different Far Cry games (3, Blood Dragon, Primal, I also downloaded the demo for 4) and finished none of those (two of those were back in my X360 time so you won't find them on my profile here). So boring...

I think that @fbdbh makes a good case with Ubisoft examples. I love the Assassin's Creed series and eventually I want to go for the platinum in all of the titles but all of the Ubisoft games have so much grinding... collectables, chests, 100% synchronisation, upgrades... ugh. The grinding was actually fun in Black Flag because you were a pirate, plundering ships, but thinking of Unity and the "open all chests" trophy still makes my blood boil.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I've started three different Far Cry games (3, Blood Dragon, Primal, I also downloaded the demo for 4) and finished none of those (two of those were back in my X360 time so you won't find them on my profile here). So boring...

I think that @fbdbh makes a good case with Ubisoft examples. I love the Assassin's Creed series and eventually I want to go for the platinum in all of the titles but all of the Ubisoft games have so much grinding... collectables, chests, 100% synchronisation, upgrades... ugh. The grinding was actually fun in Black Flag because you were a pirate, plundering ships, but thinking of Unity and the "open all chests" trophy still makes my blood boil.

Personally I enjoyed each of the far cry titles but primal. Had no problem getting bored or anything like that. I would understand with AC unity more so or the games that I mentioned previously. Far cry 3 is actually one of my favorite games from the PS3 era. I just find it amazing that other people find it boring, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

58 minutes ago, serialkilla1987 said:

Personally I enjoyed each of the far cry titles but primal. Had no problem getting bored or anything like that. I would understand with AC unity more so or the games that I mentioned previously. Far cry 3 is actually one of my favorite games from the PS3 era. I just find it amazing that other people find it boring, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Primal is actually the title I got the farthest into before getting bored and giving up :)

And I liked Unity, at least except for the one chest grinding trophy.

Opinions are fickle things, you don't have to tell me... I have to defend why I like Jar Jar!

Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal are all super easy to get plats on. a few small quests to hunt all the animals and such, but easy. Bloodborne if done with the same character can get difficult just because NG++ but if you save the shortest run for last it is not so bad. The Chalice Dungeons can be annoying, the half life one especially, but since you could do all of this with a friend it is fun enough to not really be much of a bother. 

22 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Primal is actually the title I got the farthest into before getting bored and giving up :)

And I liked Unity, at least except for the one chest grinding trophy.

Opinions are fickle things, you don't have to tell me... I have to defend why I like Jar Jar!

BOO JAR JAR BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I guess a lot of People do the plat because of the exclusive theme that you get with the plat.

Many People don´t plat a game because they get nothing out of it. But with Bloodborne they have a nice shiny theme for the ps4 ;) 

On 4/20/2017 at 2:27 PM, Inuty said:

I guess a lot of People do the plat because of the exclusive theme that you get with the plat.

Many People don´t plat a game because they get nothing out of it. But with Bloodborne they have a nice shiny theme for the ps4 ;) 

Which may not mean that much right now. We got a brilliant DS3 theme for free on the US PSN showing DS3's main character walking through all areas. The icons were changed to Souls items and the music is nice as well.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/dark-souls-iii-transitory-lands-theme/cid=UP0700-CUSA03388_00-DS3THEME00000004

Still... I am going to get the plat in Bloodborne. As a Soulsborne fan, everything else just wouldn't do. Plus, the games are fun and even NG+ is worth it. I won't abuse the backup glitch in its entirety. My plan is to get 2 endings (The decisions I'm going for are "Accept" and "Refuse" after using 3 Umbilical Cords) on my first playthrough and the third ending in NG+. NG (main game and DLC) will be done offline alone or with NPC hunters, NG+ and Chalice Dungeons with friends (not to make it easier, but to have a good time together and experience PvP/coop).

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/4/2017 at 2:27 PM, Inuty said:

Honestly I don't care at all if they give a theme for free - I'm not trading my Rachel (DOA, NG) in swimsuit for anything else lol 

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, the 22% PSNP rarity really doesn't surprise me at all.  I mean, this is a trophy hunters site after all.  22% seems about right on here.  It's the currently 7.1% PSN rarity that I find surprising.  In my opinion, that's quite high for a Souls game on PSN.  The only reasons that I can think of for that are that Souls games attract hardcore gamers and have a cult following versus, say, Call of Duty for example which has a huge fanbase of mostly more casual-type gamers i.e. not completionists or trophy hunters and probably a larger percentage of people who have played and platinumed the game have played and platinumed other Souls games already and maybe find it easier.  In my opinion, 7% is pretty high for a Souls game on PSN.

• Like 1

I look at the rarity as a positive thing, a lower rarity means people enjoyed the game enough to dust themselves off, after each beat down and go back and fight the thing, that kicked their teeth in, again and again. I know that was my experience with the Orphan of Kos, he beat me down so many times, sometimes right at the start of the fight, with his opening move. Though that only happened twice. I finally beat him by swapping to the Moonlight Greatsword +9, even though I rarely used it. I generally stuck with the Saw Cleaver, throughout 90% of my current playthrough.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2017 at 0:11 AM, Undead Wolf said:

That depends.

Some games are easy but have confusing layouts, so the trophies aren't fully obvious. There's a game like Spelunky, which I've played a few times that is legitimately difficult, both in trophies and in the game itself. Every play session is randomized, which also accounts to the difficulty.

Bloodborne's trophy list is bread and butter for Soul veterans. Since I am not a Souls veteran I found myself confused as to where to go next. It's one of those "Where the fuck do I go" kind of games until you played through the game, or looked up a guide beforehand. Trophies are straight forward, but the game itself is challenging. If I ever get stuck on those Chalice Dungeons I'm going to need all the help and advice I can get.

Then of course you have the Telltale Games which are some of the easiest well known titles out there apart from cheap indie games. Play the games, earn the platinums. Super Meat Boy is pure skill, through and through. Only a small percentage of people have the platinum, I suppose it's a whole nother level above the Souls games.

It's because there was a glitch where you could have millions of blood vessels in minutes that was abused tremendously. Souls like games have pretty much been grind to win in a lot of instances. Just power up and beating bosses really isn't all that hard at all. Combine the blood vessel glitch with being overpowered in minutes with co-op play and there you have your answer.