RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Madden-22-Cover.png?fit=1920,1080&ssl=1

Game: Madden 22

Hey man, good shit as always!

I didn't get into football like I did baseball and basketball as a kid, and the game was utterly ruined for me as an adult. Being a bartender, I have had countless drunken imbeciles screaming in my face because of the television behind me for far too many years to count now, so I've become the stuffy authority figure in a fraternity movie where football is concerned. I will, however, always read a realm review?

I don't even want to get into how idiotic the notion of momentum is.

Momentum is stupid and all it really means to sports fans is "the last team to make a good play". THAT'S IT.

Basically, momentum is f***ing useless.

ALL OF THIS. If there's a good inning, play, possession, whatever, suddenly everyone starts talking about that. And it's like bro... you don't understand how probability works! It does not ever think "ooh that was a sick play, guess I'll have to suspend myself for a while."

There's a whole list of things that sports fans are conditioned to tell themselves, it's really weird. There's one I absolutely loathe yet still succumb to every so often - I remember saying "we got Freeman" and immediately scolding myself like "you jack ass, YOU didn't get anything, the LOS ANGELES DODGERS got Freeman. All you get is to watch games and make single serving friends when you wear the jersey in public.

Whew. Shared more than I meant to there!

Also a 7th consecutive in any series is impressive. I'm working on #3 for The Show and thought I'd stop with 21, but fuck... that kinda makes me think about keeping it going?

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:07 AM, PlutoRico said:

I don't have much experience regarding roguelite tho so I will be on uncharted territory haha. 

I honestly think Hades is a fantastic entry point if you're new to the genre! Honestly, based on some of the games you're reviewed on your thread (specifically OlliOlli & The Fight) I think this is an untapped potential fave genre of yours haha. I say that hesitant since I don't want to over-promise but you seem like someone (like myself) who doesn't mind enjoy doing the same activities over again as you get slightly better and better (cleaner runs, faster times) and that's what roguelites are all about with the sprinkled element of variation to keep things just a lil bit fresh. 

On 6/2/2022 at 8:07 AM, PlutoRico said:

There is only one point with which I disagree tho : MJ is still the GOAT till this day (I assume you think the opposite when deciphering your comparison but I'm not sure tbh, the color pattern is confusing me) ?

lmao I confuse MYSELF with some of the coloring choices I make. I just try and bold some of the hottest takes or lines that I think someone glossing over the review would find interesting. Honestly, all I did there was make LeBron's name gold cuz he plays for the Lakers while MJ/Hades are red cuz of Bulls/Hell. I'm fine with anyone who thinks either. Newer generations love Bron while older ones push back and defend MJ. I think MJ's the greater player but prefer LeBron's arc/story? MJ is like Superman where once he reached his Apex, there's no stopping him (except for Orlando in '95 which people try to discount since he was coming back from retirement but the man averaged 32PPG against Charlotte the series prior. I really ain't here for "he was out of shape" excuse-making). Meanwhile, LeBron has cooler ups/downs that remind me of a Batman. I'm a Heat fan. That 2011 Finals series is a stain on his resume that will NEVER wear off. But to vindicate and comeback with 2x MVPs, 2x Championships, 2x Finals MVPs? Then to leave us :( but go back to his hometown and beat quite literally the greatest regular-season team of All-Time (73-9 Warriors) AFTER GOING DOWN 3-1? Draymond suspension or not, he won forever after that. 2018 was one of the greatest one-man armies thru the East I've ever seen. Again, none of that stuff is better than 6 titles in 8 years. Buuuuut I get how others, who didn't see MJ's domination would think otherwise. 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I hope you are pleased with yourself.

Hahahah thank you Doc! I really hope you enjoy it! I honestly think it may end up ranking higher than Going Under :P

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

There's a whole list of things that sports fans are conditioned to tell themselves, it's really weird. There's one I absolutely loathe yet still succumb to every so often - I remember saying "we got Freeman" and immediately scolding myself like "you jack ass, YOU didn't get anything, the LOS ANGELES DODGERS got Freeman. All you get is to watch games and make single serving friends when you wear the jersey in public.

lmaooo alright so I'm gonna out myself as an absolute sports nut right now. I 100% do NOT mind when people say "we" or "I" when referring to their favorite sports team. I've always found that people who try and correct whenever excited fans do that are 1) haters and more importantly 2) don't understand how fundamentally AWFUL speaking about sports would be otherwise. Seriously. "Hey, I'm really excited we're gonna go after Giancarlo Stanton this offseason". (cue some blowhard chiming in) -"WE???? I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE THE GM. DON'T YOU MEAN THE YANKEES?" Aight, let's try that again. "Hey, I'm really excited the Yankees are going after Stanton. I am a fan of the Yankees. This is good for the baseball team." It just makes all fan dialog sound so stilted. Where I will draw the line is if some herb whose team won the game goes on Twitter to an opposing team's player that they just beat and types something corny/cringy like "HOLD THIS L WE SMOKED Y'ALL!!!!!". Aight bro. You didn't get the triple-double. Jimmy Buckets did. But when it's fans talking amongst fans? I'm fine with it. 

Disclaimer: This opinion is brought to you by a sports freak who ties up too much of his identity and happiness in sports. 

It's time for that Lost in Random review. I'll spoil my own review a bit. I'm going to be largely negative. I'm sorry. I try not to sound like a miserable sap too often and if I'm critiquing a game I try to at least be humorous or understanding but woof this game was not for me. But I DO have a lot to say about it so hey! It's not all bad! Until then! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, realm722 said:

Madden-22-Cover.png?fit=1920,1080&ssl=1

Game: Madden 22

Gameplay Focused Trophies - My strategy with the game was to get in and out as quickly as possible. We were not here to be dilly-dallying checking out any of the new features that EA is likely reintroducing from the Playstation 2 era. Hence, I made the "Momentum Stealer" trophy my #1 priority as it was the rarest trophy in the game. I don't even want to get into how idiotic the notion of momentum is. I imagine someone reading this who's a sports fan will have their jaw hit the floor at that statement. I can't express this sincere opinion I have on any other platform I use since sports fans get REALLY mad when you say "momentum doesn't exist". Like... it's a vitriolic reaction. It doesn't make any sense. In case you're willing to take a bit of a deep dive in trying to understand what I mean, you can check out this "Nomentum" article from good ol Bill Barnwell during the Grantland days as well as a more recent article on ESPN from David M. Hale. If you don't care to read those - I'll give my version. Momentum is stupid and all it really means to sports fans is "the last team to make a good play". THAT'S IT. If you think it's "a series of good plays". You're wrong. Cuz whenever a team will have a series of good plays such as the Buccaneers storming back against the Rams in the Divisional Round from 3-27 down to tie at 27-27, SOMEHOW, DESPITE HAVING ALLLLLLLL OF THE MOMENTUM, they let Cooper Kupp break free and manage to kick the game-winning field goal. How could they lose? They had ALL the momentum? Well, buddy, clearly they lost it with that big Kupp play! Basically, momentum is f***ing useless. It's just a thing sports commentators and fans to say. That's IT. Hell, I could look at Game 7 Heat vs. Celtics ECF which broke my heart and how we nearly came back and STOLE that game from Boston riding ALL of the momentum of a 11-0 run late and yet... Jimmy Butler missed the potential game-winning 3 in the final seconds. How could we lose? We had all the momentum? I could express even more. This doesn't even have anything to do with Madden but this all crossed my mind when I saw their key, earth-shattering feature for this year would be based around "momentum" and served as a kind reminder to me that these games aren't for me. They're for 12-year-olds. I was 12 once. I enjoyed it then. I'm not anymore. So I don't now

Nice review man, congrats on keeping the Madden streak alive ? I disagree about the momentum takes tho, like you said momentum is a series of good play back to back to back that changes the physiognomy of the game. It can be as simple as a few plays during a 120 possessions in a basketball game : a dunk, a defensive stop, a transition three followed by a drawn foul to tie the game. The examples you gave prove that momentum isn't an exact science, and even tho a team has all the momentum with them, they can still lose on one big play (as a Rams fan, the Cooper Kupp plays back to back where he was able to get 20 + 44 yards were exhilarating, especially after everything that happened before ?). But on the opposite, there is also a lot of example where a team is able to ride the momentum they were able to create to cruise to victory. If you look at Real Madrid's road to winning the Champions League this year, it was filled with them being very resilient and able to capitalize on those momentum moments, against PSG, against Chelsea, against Manchester City to steal it every time. They scored 2 goals against City at the 90' and 91' mark and then scored again during overtime to punch their ticket for the final. I'm pretty sure momentum played a big part on this one as Manchester City's players were probably destroyed by those two successive goals at the end of the game while Real Madrid was revived and galloping. But, as the example you gave suggest, there is also counter examples where a team is able to "steal that momentum" going against them in order to get it done. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, realm722 said:

lmaooo alright so I'm gonna out myself as an absolute sports nut right now. I 100% do NOT mind when people say "we" or "I" when referring to their favorite sports team. I've always found that people who try and correct whenever excited fans do that are 1) haters and more importantly 2) don't understand how fundamentally AWFUL speaking about sports would be otherwise. Seriously. "Hey, I'm really excited we're gonna go after Giancarlo Stanton this offseason". (cue some blowhard chiming in) -"WE???? I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE THE GM. DON'T YOU MEAN THE YANKEES?" Aight, let's try that again. "Hey, I'm really excited the Yankees are going after Stanton. I am a fan of the Yankees. This is good for the baseball team." It just makes all fan dialog sound so stilted.

802784.jpg?b64lines=IFRoZSBueWUgTWV0cyBh

Hahaha that's totally fair. And thank you, I never really considered it a form of shorthand. It's just something I never quite understood.

To be clear though, I would never take it upon myself to stop someone in their tracks like "excuse me my good sir, but I do believe you have mixed up your articles of ownership. I certainly hope your mind machine is in working order." After I posted that I really started hoping that I didn't paint myself in this way! Again, I just never got it. Which is why whenever I catch myself saying that, I'm like "dude, shut up and watch the damn game!"

Maybe I'm a closet we-er?

12 hours ago, realm722 said:

Where I will draw the line is if some herb whose team won the game goes on Twitter to an opposing team's player that they just beat and types something corny/cringy like "HOLD THIS L WE SMOKED Y'ALL!!!!!". Aight bro. You didn't get the triple-double. Jimmy Buckets did. But when it's fans talking amongst fans? I'm fine with it.

It is definitely this specific thing that soured me on that! But you are right, it isn't fair of me to dismiss an agreed-upon way of talking among sports fans just cuz a bunch of dudebro pricks wanna use sports as an excuse to go aggro.

• Like 1

You sure know me, Last Faith is the game that truly caught my attention there, thanks for the tag xD

And honestly Wo Long is on my radar too! It sure looks like Nioh set in Ancient China, and given how Team Ninja nailed mythology... A Chinese mythological brutal game looks pretty sweet! 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 5:18 AM, realm722 said:

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Game: Lost in Random

Sorry it's taken, oh I don't know.... Well over a week to respond to this, but that was a great read, or at least the non-spoilery bits were, I avoided anything story-ish related, but you know I'll be back to chat about it and read them once I've played it for myself!

On 09/06/2022 at 5:18 AM, realm722 said:

I don't normally do this (oh god I sound like a girl in her late teens on a date), but I'd really like to see what @rjkclarke would think about this game. He has such a way of finding the good in every title that I think he'd serve a good counter to many of the aspects that grated on my experience

Thanks for thinking of me haha ?.

Sometimes I lose a bit of objectivity (which I know isn't something that you're bothered by) when I'm usually looking for the good in things, I sometimes end up forgetting to highlight some of the points that weren't so good!

I quite literally climbed aboard the Zoink train a few days ago with Stick It To the Man, which I personally really enjoyed.  So I'll definitely be exploring more of their back catalogue. Although this one caught my eye almost instantly after seeing the trailer for it sometime last year so I'd like to get to it sooner rather than later. Especially as I've really quite enjoyed the few deck-builder games that I have played.

I'll make sure to remember to throw up a tag for you once I actually get around to playing it, and if EA Play gets a little price reduction like they do occasionally I might end up playing it that way, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Congrats big fella! I always wanted that plat + 100% but never took that extra step to start working on the game, I suck at those type of games so it would have been a disaster for myself ?

but happy for you man that’s a very nice 100% to have! ???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, realm722 said:

unpacking-key-art-no-logo-e1641270408991

Game: Unpacking

Jesus, man.

Between you, Doc, and Mr. Clarke, I simply have no chance of keeping my backlog down. Y'all are monsters and I hope you know that???

I really enjoyed how you set this one up. It's a difficult thing to define, the joy of a tidy space and having everything in its right place (surely of all the languages in the world, one has a word for that). I was very neat when I was younger as well, and while I must confess to some bad habits creepin in over the years, I'm 100% intrigued, and I can sense this is a game that would speak to me. I'm actually getting a vibe similar to the one I got when I read your excellent Islanders review.

Speaking of reviews, Mark of the Ninja??? I'll be posted outside in a sleeping bag waiting for that one to drop, I already know that's gonna be fire!

7 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Oh man.... Cities: Skylines. Of all my non-platinums in my collection, it is the only one that is a non-sports game. I remember buying the game for $30 back in 2018 and of course, back then it had none of the DLC it has now. The shameful thing is I'm only two trophies away from earning the platinum which would at least make it respectable but that 1001 nights trophy and "Happy Town" are downright frightening as someone who has stepped away from the game for 3+ years. If you do decide to rush the plat, please make some detailed notes to help a brother out 1f602.png

Yo every time I buckle down and start playing and get a string of trophies, I just stop. It's weird, everything's goin well and I'm having a good time but suddenly I'll become like this nervous jittery guy who's like "I can't do this, IT'S TOO MUCH PRESSURE" or somethin. Frightening is an adjective I completely identify with on this one!

If I can manage to topple this monstrosity, I will definitely keep you in mind??

• Like 2

9 hours ago, realm722 said:

There are some more categories such as my favorite game developers officially ranked (Supergiant Games reigns supreme by a whole 0.1 points!)

How did you come to this conclusion?

Would you consider (purely for the sake of this random on the internet), finding the 'mean' average of all scores per developer, and then posting them? 

As a fellow 'record keeper/stat collector' I applause your effort and hope you keep this up!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 4:50 PM, kingofbattle8174 said:

That is one hell of spreadsheet, I am thoroughly impressed. Does it come with Pivot tables though?

I am sad to report no. :( The only old one did have a sheet dedicated to them but I found it to be a bit obtuse. I honestly am horrible at thinking of good ways to represent data visually (see: bad pie chart sheet) and have gotta take a few lessons to figure out how to easily convey lots of info in a digestible matter. Maybe V3.0 lmao

On 6/27/2022 at 11:19 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

Would you consider (purely for the sake of this random on the internet), finding the 'mean' average of all scores per developer, and then posting them? 

FoXN3uh.png

This is found on the 3rd sheet under "Supreme Studios". I'd say it looks about right. The fact Supergiant Games finishes in 1st place against of the Banner Saga dudes is so perfect yet I didn't even try to do it intentionally. After that's it's both Horizon's by Guerrilla Games, both Unravel's by Coldwood Interactive, and the first real big boy studio in Square Enix. The Game Bakers hit a home run with Furi and had a lil bit of a come back to earth game with Haven. Hopoo is the Risk fo Rain 1 & 2 dev,s  EA Canada encapsulates my FIFA obsession, Thunder Lotus has had ups and downs (Jotun, Sundered, Spiritfarer) but I'll play anything they make next as they've done well enough to keep me intrigued(and I write A LOT about their games apparently).

After that is Drinkbox Studios whos latest game "Nobody Saves the World" is 10000% gonna get picked up by me when it goes on sale for $15 or less. Rocksteady Studios has that Suicide Squad game coming out. I'm... not intrigued. San Diego Studio is the MLB The Show crew, Quantic Dream is making a Star Wars game which should be freaking hilarious, Night School Studio are the Oxenfree/Afterparty gang and I will 100% play Oxenfree 2, Insomniac Games has two games I need to catch up on in Miles Morales & Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Criterion is making another NFS so we'll see how that goes. Warm Lamp is the Beholder 1 & 2 developers and they've now released a Beholder 3 but it has mixed reviews so I may dodge it for now to avoid it damaging my reputation of them. Japan Studio is no more but was fun while it was around. Sumo Digital made that Sackboy platformer I'll get around to one day. Ghost Games is no more and is now EA Gothenburg. Giant Sparrow are the Unfinished Swan / Edith Finch devs and I'll play whatever they drop next. Bithell Games is one I'd 1000% love to play Volume if it ever went on sale again. Toys for Bob are the Spyro Trilogy Reignited devs and I'm eh on them. Sucker Punch amde the inFamous games which were just aight for me and I don't have much interest in Ghost of Tsushima. EA Tiburon produces Madden. Bandai Namco is the old Arcade games, Milestone is a crappy developer which makes crappy racing games, and finally Zoink rounds out the bottom of the list since I just did not vibe with Lost in Random lol. 

Wayyyyyy more detailed than you probably could have asked for but yea! This'll be fun to have for posterity in case anything drastically changes in the future. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

(see: bad pie chart sheet)

*struggling to not reference that played out Pac Man pie chart joke*

Drinkbox Studios whos latest game "Nobody Saves the World" is 10000% gonna get picked up by me when it goes on sale for $15 or less.

I will 100% play Oxenfree 2

That's a hard same on both, bro?

Warm Lamp is the Beholder 1 & 2 developers and they've now released a Beholder 3 but it has mixed reviews so I may dodge it for now to avoid it damaging my reputation of them.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

So happy that exists but I'm suddenly scared!

Zoink rounds out the bottom of the list since I just did not vibe with Lost in Random lol. 

I'unno man, can't speak for that game but I thought Stick It to the Man and Flipping Death were a great time. I fuck with Zoink based on those alone.

No surprise that this was another awesome post! I love the genre breakdown - I'd argue that video games have reached the same level as music as far as complexity is concerned.

I used to painstakingly label my music by genre so I get you. Like R&B and Neo-Soul lumped in under "Urban?" ???

• Like 2

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

Wayyyyyy more detailed than you probably could have asked for but yea! This'll be fun to have for posterity in case anything drastically changes in the future. 

Not at all, that was PERFECT. Thanks Realm! Very impressed (and very interested in these conclusions)!!

• Like 2

As someone who approaches trophy hunting like MrMagoo, stumbling from one game to another without any rhyme or reason, your organisational and record keeping skills scare the shit outta me ?

On the developers though, I can't help but notice a distinct lack of Housemarque and Klei... ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

H2x1_NSwitchDS_MarkOfTheNinjaRemastered_

Game: Mark of the Ninja Remastered

As good as hoped!

I kinda like that this was a game that has nagged you into trying it out, if that makes sense? Also, Klei is particularly ethical? I gotta do some homework my damn self.

Agreed that controls can take a bit of getting used to, I often found it weirdly easy to fall off a wall when I wanted to cling, etc. I really liked how you touched on the encouragement to go kill-free, and basically leave next to no evidence that you were there in the first place.

Good shit as always, my dude!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:36 PM, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Unpacking? 100%!

I've only heard good things about this game, and well you keep those good reviews going! Appreciated reading through it, and will definitely be one to keep an eye on when it's on a sale I think. My wife would probably enjoy it too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 5:53 AM, The_Kopite said:

My wife would probably enjoy it too.

The overwhelming majority of coverage loving it on YouTube is from women so I think you're 100% correct on that! It checks all the boxes on a "cozy/cute' game. 

• Like 1