RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

bzvlJHBWDaECvVGKOT5ziBsU.jpg

Game: Inscryption

Aaayyyyy excellent job as always, my dude!

When both you AND the good Doctor are high on a game, it's pretty much guaranteed that I'ma play it at some point.

Also...

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Agreed hard, such a uniquely real tension there. The friend I first saw that movie with, he and I still reference that scene to each other once in a while.

"What do I stand to wi-"

"EVERYTHING."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, realm722 said:

The Card Game Mechanics - I am someone who has very little experience with card games. Off the top of my head, the only one that I can name that I've played is Slay the Spire. That's one of the greatest video games I've ever played.

Sir, I believe you may be finding out something about yourself - the same thing I discovered via Slay the Spire and Inscryption

…I think you may actually be a card game fan ?

To test this theory, I would recommend you try out one other game - the other in the “holy trinity” of amazing games that forced me to accept my closet-card-game-appreciator status…

Griftlands!

It’s another really outstanding game in the genre, that I unequivocally recommend… and I have a suspicion that not only will you love it if you loved Slay the Spire… but once you do, you will be unable to deny that you are, in fact, a Card Gamer!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

Yoooo it's funny you mention that! I distinctly remember you playing the game a few months back and found it noteworthy given its from a major developer (Klei Entertainment) yet somehow didn't get rewarded a platinum despite a pretty brutal rarity % for 100%. That alongside with Invisible, Inc (a game that I know you have in your Top 5 and has clogged Cassy's rarest trophies ever earned cabinet for years) have my curiosity. I played Mark of the Ninja. I KNOW those people make good games with fun mechanics. I've just gotta stop being a baby and dive. Added it to the wishlist, thanks Doc!

Game wasn't even that hard. ? I've been itching to knock those trophies off for a long time. (Still, it was really good.)

Griftlands is also on my watch list!

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:54 PM, realm722 said:

hero

Shameless promotion incoming...This is on sale again for 50 cents, picked it up because of your review and because I love me some TD games.

• Like 1

ss_d95137293b2f98b7bbb3fabc00df7663284cb

Game: Simulacra

Analysis: I bought Simulacra when it was on sale for $5.19 back in early February 2022. Get ready for some conflicting opinions!

Why Simulacra? This is a game I've actually had on my radar for a few years now. I distinctly remember seeing it on sale as far back as 2020, and its name (single word, unique game titles are the best way to capture my attention when I'm skimming through a sale) and 30% rarity platinum made the game stand out amongst its contemporaries. But I always ultimately ended up backing off due to fear of glitched trophies and the "horror" tag appearing under its labeled themes. Eventually, as I got on my "play a game from every country" kick, I discovered by pure coincidence that the developers, Kaigan Games, are actually based out of Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia. That was all the motivation I needed to finally give the game a chance and add it to my shopping cart. (SPOILERS FROM 3RD PARAGRAPH ONWARD)

From A Mechanics Standpoint - The image above is not deceptive in any way. For your entire playthrough, this small rectangle in the middle of your screen displaying a phone will be what you used to uncover the story and mystery in Simulacra. You've found a woman's last phone. Her name is Anna. You end up discovering a bunch of details about Anna's life and have to navigate this maze of mystery trying to understand her past relationships, what has happened to her, what has happened to others, and through some detective work and savvy thinking, hopefully, resolve things before it's too late! Sounds intriguing, yea? It... kind of is? I dunno. A lot of this game was hit or miss for me. There are some undeniably fun moments. Connecting the dots via information gained from emails to progress the story in other ways by remembering the last name of somebody here or an important fact of somebody else there. But there's also an incredible amount of junior crew mechanics at play. The phone calls are all REALLY bad. You play as a silent protagonist (you're not Anna, just someone who found their phone). This means the other person on the line (whether it be Greg, Taylor, or a Detective) just call you up and monologue for 20-25 seconds before hanging up. I much prefer the voice messages left via chat as at least there's not that awkward dissonance (and honestly super relatable as I have my friends send me voice chats all the time while I simply text back since I'd rather be falcon punched in the stomach than have to listen to my own voice). I enjoyed the Spark profile dating curation section. I thought the chats were neat. The decoding photos/texts was a fine small minigame. But I don't think there's a truly outstanding moment here from a gameplay perspective in the entire runtime and the super slow entering text via a PlayStation controller drains during specific sections. 

Scary or Cheesy? - I mentioned the genre horror in the opening paragraph and I feel the need to follow up on that here. Is Simulacra scary? I don't think so. The game startled me once when it did a cheap jumpscare after I was backing out of an application but aside from that, I think it was fairly pedestrian. I will say that I did NOT listen to the game and play with headphones since I 100% hear the game do random secret sounds like someone knocking on your door and that is not cool in my book and I do not consent to that. Really, what I think makes the game most exasperating is that... they could have done more with this? Not in the scary department but with... everything regarding the story. I like Anna. She's pretty hot. The game does not hide this. But her Vloggr videos personalized pale in comparison to even some of the more average videos found in Telling Lies. Greg sucks. Taylor is... cool but so insanely cringe at other times. If I have to give the game credit in any department, they definitely have the general vibes/language of texting down pat. Multiple jokes that you'd absolutely see made in a given circumstance. It just doesn't flow as well together as it should. I wish they had done something better with the finale than a... tired... AI that is killing people for their own virtual world vs. physical world gain. I really didn't care for the final act and I think that's why the game didn't have the impactful finish I wish it could have had. I like games with unique styles and ideas. I like the idea of navigating everything from a phone. I like the idea of relying on/persuading people via text and finding clues to unravel a mystery. But it just didn't come out as well in action as it sounds on paper. What is with those awful full-motion videos at the end of the game? Who is scared by that? 

My Trophy Path - Rather than bash my head against the wall trying to get some of the vague trophy descriptions, I have to give a humongous shoutout to @Eispan for their jaw-droppingly pristine platinum text walkthrough. I understand that this is the sort of game that is more accessible to make such a meticulous guide for but seriously they went to extreme lengths to convey every action necessary in perfect detail. I think the only "mistake" I would argue is found in the final section when aiming for Windy Convergence. They add a period at the end of the sentence "A polar, feathered bear waddles above the hammer" which if you do (and I did twice) automatically closes the gateway and locks you out of the trophy. Thankfully I learned via the trophy guide here that if you don't include a period, the sequence progresses as it should. Everything else is perfect. I avoided any and all possible chat glitches. I managed to earn "Just in Time" with 4 seconds left in the most heart-pounding sequence of the game. This is not a tricky plat by any means and if you're willing to do it against 2 playthroughs, you can get it done quite easily on New Game+ as it really does speed up the text and you aren't spent waiting around nearly as much as your 1st run when you're still getting your feet wet. I earned the 30.31% rarity platinum in 23 hours and 15 minutes. 

Would I recommend Simulacra? I'd lean towards no. If you think this sort of game could be up your alley (pretty weird, atypical of most games, FMV, tryna unravel a mystery, don't mind some cheesy B-horror tricks) then be my guest and give it a whirl. I just kind of wished that the game focused more on Anna in other ways. Rather than her... becoming possessed by an AI and that explains her disappearance. I really think the game would have been improved if your main character could actually speak and interact with the other guys in the story than be completely silent. The developers, Kaigan Games, have made Simulacra 2 and Simulacra 3 since this original release back in 2017. I may do some research after the review to see whether they've managed to build on the formula and go to the next level with it or merely made minor alterations that haven't addressed any of my gripes with the game. Still, this was a pretty decent detour from games I typically play and am looking forward to getting back in the saddle on something a bit more traditional. Ta ta!

Panda Score: 6.22 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 1.9 / 10

• Like 3

Good job on Frost. I'm hurt you think I would lie to you. I couldn't remember why save scumming was a bad idea, but then you reminded me. The game will just stop loading. I remember getting so annoyed that I burst into the developers' private Discord server like the Kool-Aid Man and demanded an explanation for their anti-cheese methods. Good times...

I was much better at finding hidden gems in 2019. Today, all I unearth is crap, but Frost was one of my proudest moments. What a cool little game. I was really gunning for you to get the fastest time to platinum.

• Like 3

On 15/03/2023 at 0:08 PM, realm722 said:

Let's do it again sometime. How about at 100k views, eh? 

On 15/03/2023 at 3:02 PM, YaManSmevz said:

best believe I'll be here to peep out the 100k edition1f44a.png

??

On 15/03/2023 at 0:08 PM, realm722 said:

6 Years & 9 Months

Coincidentally, this is how long I've been trophy hunting.

Good for you, and please keep it up - it's cozy here. ✌️

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

0bbdab84ab40ac305e97283f9949060663e71dce

Game: Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise

Good shit as always my dude!

One of my exasperations with the point-and-click genre is the leap in logic you'll often have to make in order to find the intended solution by the developer and even after you discover it it's not a "AHA! I should have gotten that sooner" it's more of "how the hell was I supposed to know that? That's stupid."

BRUH. 100%. And you picked a perfect game to illustrate this!

The World Baseball Classic has been awesome. Randy Arrozarena is that dude.

Seriously! Did you see the Jomboy video on that game? So great? Bummed about Mexico but no shame in losing to Japan! Final should be poppin.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 5:58 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Seriously! Did you see the Jomboy video on that game? So great1f604.png Bummed about Mexico but no shame in losing to Japan! Final should be poppin.

16 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Bro the final was fantastic! Wanted the US to win but I can't be mad, Ohtani is THAT dude and to cap it off striking out Trout? Hats off to him. Can't wait for it to return in 2026! :D

Dude, Jomboy is a real one.

Can I recommend a video for you two? I had never seen anything from this channel before this so the first five minutes was a little off-putting (I think the channel has an overarching narrative in between videos), but if you skip ahead the actual core of the video is REALLY good.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, realm. I have Deadly Tower of Monsters from PS+ from agggggges ago. You've given it a real lube-up here.

And I know it's been ages since you made the post but I never ended up saying how happy I am that you enjoyed Return of the Obra Dinn. I KNEW you'd like it.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, realm722 said:

2999607-5423834574-14341.jpg

Game: The Deadly Tower of Monsters

Well shit, looks like I need to add this one to the wishlist. Maybe I'll do a Double Feature of this and Jazzpunk?

He's a prick, misogynistic, disrespectful, full of himself, and quite frankly terrible at his job.

Nice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some Wong Kar-wai movies I gotta catch up on. 

I BEEN PUTTING OFF IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE TOO!! I saw 2046 way back when because the trailer dazzled the fuck out of me, in fact in a roundabout way it's why 2064 is on my soon to play list?

Bro the final was fantastic! Wanted the US to win but I can't be mad, Ohtani is THAT dude and to cap it off striking out Trout? Hats off to him. Can't wait for it to return in 2026! :D

09e.gif

Fr fr you can't write shit like that!

35 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Mah man?

35 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Can I recommend a video for you two? I had never seen anything from this channel before this so the first five minutes was a little off-putting (I think the channel has an overarching narrative in between videos), but if you skip ahead the actual core of the video is REALLY good.

Added?

• Like 2

On 23/03/2023 at 0:55 AM, realm722 said:

Not Every Joke Needs to Land - I haven't really touched much on the narrative of the game though it is a fairly large part of the package when it comes to selling this game. I don't think this game would have been as good if they had cut the director's commentary and you had play the game straight as a B-movie. I liked his interjections even when they weren't particularly funny. The man (voiced by Greg Meadows) is a parody of every awful blowhard Hollywood director you can imagine. He's a prick, misogynistic, disrespectful, full of himself, and quite frankly terrible at his job. There would be incredibly predictable jokes such as him intentionally underpaying his staff or dismissing blame of an issue on set to a producer but he got enough sensible chuckles out of me throughout my course of playing that I can say for a fact that the game is better with him in it. All of the actors honestly do quite well in their roles. I 100% bought Dick Starspeed as a classic movie star from the '70s as well as Scarlet Nova with that exaggerated voice women used to do in these films back then. I say all this without mentioning a very important fact... I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY SCIENCE FICTION B MOVIES. Up until now, you may have thought my enjoyment came from the game playing to a very specific niche of mine and I understand how someone could derive a much of entertainment from this sorta cinema but I haven't and I enjoyed this game aplenty all the same. 

I remember quite liking the humour when it came out, although I can say that I probably wouldn't like most of the jokes these days, 2016 was a hell of a year for postmodern and self referential jokes: Deadpool had come out, Rick and Morty was at it's peak in acclaim (Before JR burnt all his bridges).But lately I'd got fed up of the lack of sincerity with this type of comedy.

I re-watched some of the jokes some of the jokes as I was writing and realised I was wrong with what I remembered, this wasn't the postmodern game I'd remembered and got tired of, it was a lot closer to 80s and 90s parody movies that still where the jokes are meta, the story is meta, but it remembered to be 100% sincere. 

Doubt I'm gonna replay it anytime soon, but this review was a nice trip down memory lane.

• Like 2

On 29/3/2023 at 2:16 AM, realm722 said:

ea1f8049513236ba36aa6776b45b1c6c71405c5c

Game: Dandara

Analysis: I bought Dandara when it was on sale for $3.74 back in late December 2022. We're 3 months into 2023 and this counts as my 3rd ultra-rare platinum of the year!

Why Dandara? Every now and then, I'll find a game that makes me become particularly fixated with it. This doesn't mean it'll be a great game. It just has the "it" factor that tickles my brain enough to always keep it present whenever I scroll past it while browsing a sale. Dandara is one of those games. It has some mesmerizing art and Dandara's poofy afro couldn't help but always captivate my attention. I knew that it was a unique 2D platformer that was relatively challenging so I held off on it for a good while before finally deciding to give it a whirl. One neat discovery I had when digging into the background of the game is uncovering that the studio creators, Long Hat House, are based in the heart of southeast Brazil! I've already played a game from the region in Flatland Vol. 1 but it's cool when I accidentally continue to explore games from developers in unique countries. 

A Creative Take on Platforming - It is insanely difficult to standout as a platformer in the modern indie landscape. If you're not a Celeste, you're probably a Shu, and that probably means your small indie studio won't be able to make rent next month. Dandara wears its unique, distinguishing mechanic on its sleeve. What if you could only jump to very specific zones on each level and gravity was no obstacle? That may seem counterintuitive at first. But once you start fiddling with how rapidly Dandara can move at full speed with entire levels being choreographed like a high-speed dance, all of a sudden you get where the appeal of the game comes from. It will take a little bit of getting used too. You'll inevitably goof up a jump and smack yourself into a flying enemy or rapid quick X too fast and accidentally go back through the room you just came from but all in all once I got familiar with the game, I quite enjoyed how much the game is intentionally designed for going quickly. I always found the 2D Sonic games to be a bit goofy in this regard as there eventually comes a point in time where you're moving so fast, you can't physically react to whatever threat you're about to encounter. The only way around this is to have the level memorized on subsequent playthroughs. Dandara dabbles a little in this regard in some specific sections but for the most part, you can see everything that stands in your way and if your thumbs can twitch quickly enough, maneuver in a manner that would make Summoning Salt blush

I Didn't Follow the Story But You Should - I am going to sheepishly admit that I did not really follow the story or any of the dialogue sequences that occur with any of the NPCs in the game. It's due to my approach on my 1st playthrough which I recommend you avoid. There's some pretty neat stuff with the game's story that I only learned after watching a brief YouTube video on it and during some background research on how the game's name is derived from an Afro-Brazillian warrior woman from the 1600s. (You can also read this insanely detailed reddit post if you'd like). The game's story isn't bloated. There are a handful of moments where you'll be paused to interact with some character but by and large the game keeps the story out of the limelight to let the gameplay speak for itself. I wish I had engaged with it a bit more and so the next best thing I can do is encourage future players to do better than I did. 

Wow That's A Lot of DLC - Despite the game on PSNProfiles simply being labeled "Dandara", you can in fact play the full expanded edition of the game, Dandara: Trials of Fear thanks to the DLC being available for free! While other games will sometimes cut you short and make you feel like the DLC is a complete waste of time(or money), Dandara's may actually go to the other extreme. This DLC practically doubles your play-time as you can now explore a darker edge of the world with more interactable NPCs and some gauntlets that'll kick your ass compared to some of the stuff in the main game. Granted, I say "doubles" when you can realistically beat the base game in 2 hours if you know where everything is, and exploring everything in the DLC will likely take you up to 4 hours. Overall... I thought it was okay. I wouldn't have been mad if the game didn't have DLC or any of the trophies that came with it. The environments were a good deal more dreary compared to the main areas lush greens and neon purples. The biggest credit I will give this area of the game is the final boss fight against Tormenta. It is vastly superior to the base game's final boss and felt like a noteworthy challenge to conquer in order to attain the True Ending. 

Random Observations - Sometimes I have a bunch of thoughts that don't fit into any one particular section and I just like to blurt them out in quick succession. 1) I love the game's powers. You get some really cool unlockables in the game that further expand Dandara's moveset. There's a green missile that is useful for breaking rocks but was also my absolute fight for decimating enemies. There's a cool skull beam that fires in a straight line that is OP as hell for bosses and can also be used for some ridiculous skips during speedruns due to its ability to do damage to Dandara. There's a neat void static option as well as a spikes weapon in the DLC that completely annihilates any enemies standing on platforms. I got some Axiom Verge-energy from the game for the amount of neat diversity between each weapon. 2) Why on earth did they make THIS specific enemy's attack reaction window so ungodly quick? It is such an odd inclusion that it almost feels like an oversight they never tweaked. Nothing else in the entire game attacks as quickly as it does and it's silly given how much health it damages as well as how later in the game it will throw MULTIPLE of these enemies at once. Am I crazy or did anyone else who play need to preemptively dodge as once it was in motion, there was no way you'd be able to move fast enough to avoid it? 3) I question the game designer's decision to make cheats no disable achievements. I had this issue with Ikenfell, and I have to bring it up again here. This feels like such a weird complaint to make given how blatantly I abused it but man... I think I would have probably enjoyed Dandara a bit more if I wasn't given the guilty-free pleasure of being able to sprint infinitely with zero energy stoppage or spam my weapon attacks at will. I've seen speedruns of the game without them enabled and they still look plenty doable! The game has fun mechanics that I still enjoyed even when playing with baby bowling ball guard rails and the game is still by far NOT as much as a pushover as Ikenfell with it enabled but eh... had to mention it

A Recommended 1st Playthrough - You want to know the best way to experience Dandara? Play the game BLIND! OR, if you're not that ambitious, follow the 100% guide without putting the stress on yourself to beat it in 1 hour and 17 minutes. I did this, did not get it in time (finishing off by 6 minutes) and probably would have preferred taking it easy my first go-around before pushing myself for the final playthrough to seal the platinum. Don't put that pressure on yourself. Take it easy, learn the mechanics, (such as how you fire powers by holding down the square button and pressing R2 as opposed to whatever the hell abomination I was doing). You can learn the story, enjoy the environments and baller music, and THEN decide that you wanna push yourself. Do not be afraid of this experience taking too long. Even at a leisurely pace going for the plat, the full experience shouldn't take you more than 10 hours. 

My Speedrun Experience - Every time a game has a speedrun trophy (or multiple ones at that), I always feel the need to make a unique paragraph just for those specific players who treat these trophies like they're the plague. I can happily report that the speedrun in Dandara is EXTREMELY doable. I beat the 1 hour, 17 minute benchmark by nearly 20 minutes and I'm a MORON, you'll be fine. I do want to give a special shoutout to the man that helped me on this journey, @Gray-Fox-44. Every now and then you'll play a random game and find a thread and posts from someone who is just oozing with enthusiasm about it and Gray Fox proved to be that for me with Dandara. Look at this wonderful post! Look at this amazing trophy guide video! It is because of wonderful people like this that I enjoy this community. I used their entire video to help me obtain the platinum and experienced zero issues in my journey. The whole thing with the speedrun is I will mention two key points that proved to be difference makers for a run in case you decide to ignore my advice and try to complete the speedrun on your 1st run. They are found at (18:36) as well as (37:46) as they are the two true skips of the entire run. Due to the manner in which Dandara stops and floats in mid-air after being hit, you can exploit this in very specific scenarios to angle your arrow to a salt zone that you would not be able to access otherwise. This makes the 1st one possible and isn't THAT bad once you get the angle down. The 2nd skip is far more annoying. My 1st run, I wasted 10 minutes trying to get this right. You need to leave your corpse far enough down that you replenish all your hearts so that even as you're getting hit by the yellow beam, you continue falling close enough to skip backward and access the "point-of-no-return" from earlier. If you're trying to do this all on your 1st run, quit out and upload your save to the cloud so that you can learn it and if you took too long, reload, do it again, and keep moving. I did this on my speedrun and it wasn't even necessary for my to reload as I got it on my 2nd try. Let me say that the speedruns of this game are VERY fun to watch and I recommend you check them out if you're into that sorta thing!

Would I recommend Dandara? Maybe. I've spent a large portion of this post heaping praise upon the game since I really do think it's quite well-made and worthy of a few more eyeballs than its received on consoles, but I do acknowledge that the speedrun trophies and a 2D platformer aren't the easiest sell to most trophy hunters out there. I'll even admit to myself here in this final paragraph that I've probably hyped the game up more talking about it than I myself have personally enjoyed. It's good! Don't get me wrong. But if you asked me between this and say... Shu? Which platformer would I be more likely to want to replay? I'd probably lean toward Shu. Still, I like the game, and am most certainly glad to say I've added it to my arsenal. It took me 2 days and 1 hour to earn the 4.37% rarity platinum which puts me in the Top 25 fastest achievers on PSNProfiles!

Panda Score: 6.80 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 4.7 / 10

Congrats on you accomplishment and thank you for you ultra-kind comments! That adds another trophy to your cabbinet ? I am glad you enjoyed the game as much as I did!

• Like 1