RealM722's Trophy Cabinet

realm722

Moony.jpeg

Game: Moon (Moon: Remix RPG Adventure

Analysis: I bought Moon when it was on sale back in mid-October 2022 for $13.29. This is one of the oldest video games I've ever covered in this thread so buckle up!

Why Moon? You have likely never heard of this game despite the fact it's nearly 25 years old. That's not me trying to be condescending or acting as if I'm superior for knowing about it. I had never heard about the game in my entire life until Tim Rogers name-dropped it at the very end of his elaborate, personalized Final Fantasy VI review. If you've ever read even a teensy bit of this thread, you should know by now that I love Tim Rogers. He has a way of speaking about niche PlayStation 1 titles that makes them sound like the coolest and greatest games that have ever existed. Moon is particularly special due to the fact it's surprise rerelease on modern hardware was also noteworthy due to the fact for the first time ever it'd be translated in English! All thanks once again, to our boy Tim. All I truly summarized up until now was that: "Moon Remix RPG isn't like the other girls". What did that actually mean? I had no idea. I had a much greater sense of what the game was likely about when I accidentally spoilered myself in humongous fashion during his sensational review of Boku No Natsuyasumi. DO NOT CLICK if you would like to avoid huge endgame spoilers. I realize now that I'm still being vague about the game and I'd like to be less so but in order to do that I feel like I have to offer some caveats for those who take my recommendations seriously. 

The Qualifiers for Playing Moon - 1) Do you mind playing games with guides? Because if you're going to embark on this endeavor unless you're the Vasco de Gama of video game players, you're likely going to be confused and stuck over and over again at figuring out what to do next. Remember, this is a PlayStation 1 game. It is not beholden to modern-day conventional norms that hold your hand and will bail you out in a jiffy. There are certain events required for advancing the story that are only available on certain days of the week at certain times. (Oh yea, did I forget to mention the game has a daily week schedule with an active running night/day clock and if you don't save by sleeping in your bed, you get an automatic game over?). If I've somehow not scared you off by this point, papa Realm has found some guides that I have found incredibly useful. This one by SteamAH (user: shinyangelghost) CARRIED me for the majority of my playthrough. It is super simple and easy to follow once you get over how daunting the initial talks is. It's broken the world down into consumable chunks and once you realize the game really does offer you flexibility in terms of what areas you want to tackle first, it gets all the easier. There's just ONE problem. The guide has a critical error and does not mention Beehav the Pirate's love scenario. OR it does so but in such a subliminal fashion that I didn't realize it. I was losing my mind looking for the last "love" I needed to earn one of the last trophies and this was it. If you're ever stuck or lost track of what you need to do next, go ask Adder after completing his initial challenge as he'll offer hints of where to next advance a quest. Of course, as I've linked them, the Fandom Moon RPG Wiki is also very helpful when the prior guide doesn't offer as much info. If you prefer visual aids, this guide for collecting all the animals and this 7-hour speedrun of the game could also be useful. 

The Qualifiers for Playing Moon (Pt. 2) - 2) Do you get easily frustrated at seemingly simple yet surprisingly tricky minigames? Because if you do, I may hold back on a recommendation as I wouldn't want you coming at me with a pitchfork in this thread several months down the line if I've lead you down this course. There are two specific minigames in mind. First, the Fishing Contest, which is necessary as by winning it you gain the love and affection of Gamakatsu. You must catch 5 fish in 100 seconds. This event is only available on Solardays, so it's recommended you sleep and set a save state on that day as you're going to be retrying this a fair few times. It's also recommended you eat the Kirikiri Bug Sautee at the Wildcat as without it, you're going to catch more junk than fish which will cost you valuable time. I've seen some players complain that this is torturous. I understand where they're coming from even if I don't necessarily agree. I earned it on my 5th attempt after catching 2, 4, 4, & 4 on my previous efforts. Given how close I was, I felt like it was only a matter of time. You must feel out when to press "X" with timing in order to speed up how quickly you can catch them. I got unlucky on my first few efforts and some bites took forever. On my last attempt, I had a fair amount of time to spare. Judge whether or not you wanna put yourself through this. The other, harder minigame skillwise though less luck-based is that of XINGIKSAN. Here is my completion of the final level. Basically, it's flappy bird before flappy bird and it took me around 40 minutes worth of attempts in order to finally beat it. In hindsight, I'll admit I kinda enjoyed it since I enjoy repetitive, bizarrely weird tasks. There's also a 3rd "minigame" required to gain love involving the Birdman and predicting which color bird will pass through next. I say bet on black every damn time until it pops and select the progressively easier birds from there. 3) Are you willing to take the good AND bad of a PS1 classic? The game is dripping with charm. But it is also very slow in parts. Traversing the world at times can feel like it takes far longer than it should. Do we really need to see the Dr. Hager entrance permission scan EVERY time we pass through there? If you're willing, this game is a bundle of joy to bask in if you're of the right mindset. If you're trying to blaze through this to earn a quick platinum and not really engage with the themes or world... you're gonna have a bad time. But enough of that. Now that you've earned your PhD in earning the platinum in Moon before even having played it, it's time for me to talk in super spoilerific detail about it. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. 

Moon (The Game All About Love) - You are not the hero of Moon. Instead, you end up dropping into this world after a very odd, obtuse introduction where you seemingly play as a Dragon Quest / Final Fantasy-lite game that has everything you'd expect out of a classic (well... this game was released in 1997 so the style wasn't classic back then it was just... the norm?) JRPG. This was a fakeout. The real game starts once you wake up in Gramby's home. There's a Hero wandering about the land that is supposed to save the world from the big evil dragon. But very early on, you'll realize Moon's unique take on the RPG genre by actually revealing how much of a monster the "Hero" in most JRPGs really is. He kills without second thought any creatures in the world as they offer him XP. He storms into people's homes and takes what he likes. He crashes straight through the player character without a care in the world as of course, this is his game. We've all done this. Most of us have played a grand open-world RPG at one time or another. Yet this remarkably unique title from the era of the Clinton administration subverted it all by poking fun at how ridiculous that sort of world would be from any perspective other than that of the main character. Your role as a supporting character is to try and help those who've had their lives upended by the Hero's ways or assist in general wherever possible. This includes saving many animals' souls who've been slain. Helping resolve many townsfolk issues. and advancing the core plot which is that of finishing a rocket project between the King of the town and mad scientist to land the rocket on the moon. By doing these things, you earn "love" which is an indicator of how much you've helped those in need. It's anti-RPG in the sense that there is no combat. There are minigames. There are unique events. But it's truthfully about getting to know the world and enjoying it for its simpler, candid moments. Let me talk about those for a moment.

Some Things I Loved in Moon - I disobeyed Tim when he asked readers not to think of him while playing. The very first moment you wake up in Gramby's home and hear the beautiful, majestic melody of Clair de Luna... I wanted to cry. I don't cry often. That song has a special significance to me given how much Tim he used it in his videos whenever conveying deeply personal, severe anecdotes. I listen to it when I read and it fills me with melancholy. I cannot believe that song was in the original game as... damn man. Especially when I see how much the player is cared for by their in-game grandmother and how she'll literally offer baked homemade cookies every day you wake up which is incredibly essential early on... it makes me feel things in ways that few games can. The dialogue in general in the game is magnificent. Many characters are incredibly sharp and have their wonderful quirks that'll endear themselves to you. Some that stand out in my mind include Yoshida, a super-intelligent bird that for his quest will wake you up for midnight classes as he's attending a University and the speeches by Professor Owl are surprisingly profound. (Example - an admission of ignorance is the very first step to the acquiring of knowledge). There's the Old Man who lives in the Windmill and he's hilarious in the way he hates Western culture due to the house next door and how whatever you respond will undoubtedly upset him. There's Lady Techno (a dancing woman in Technopolis) who'll have a mini-existential crisis and show off a branded tattoo on her back that'll make the player character blush. It's all so wonderfully charming and sincere. It's wild how unique it is to play games that haven't been jaded away or play-tested to death that they take away all the age. I have no doubt games have on the whole gotten better in terms of being less obtuse as without a guide, I wouldn't for the life of me have known how to advance certain quests but man... it's just so cool to say I got to enjoy this game when so many few have taken the opportunity. (351 game owners, 93 platinum achievers at the time I post this review)

Would I recommend Moon? That depends entirely on your answers earlier to the qualifier paragraphs above. I suspect most people won't play this game. It's a bit of a hard sell given its uniqueness and the general preference of those on a trophy-earning-focused platform. But boy am I glad I did. I want to play every single one of these unique Japanese games from the PS1 / PS2 era whenever they become available on modern hardware. It's so easy to get caught up in the here and now of games releasing but I still feel a strong sense to look back and reflect on releases from the past than always trying to find and seek out the next new diamond in the rough. Maybe that makes me a weirdo. I ultimately earned the 26.50% rarity platinum in 6 days and 9 hours. I'm immensely grateful to Tim for dedicating himself to translating the game and I'm delighted to say it's my first platinum of 2023! We'll see what the rest of the year has in store but I'm optimistic we'll build off the momentum as the months progress. Until next time!

Panda Score: 7.7 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 4.4 / 10

Spoiler

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure Notes

Date: December 27th, 2022

• I’m scared and terrified but let’s finally freaking do this
  • Glacial intro of a kid playing a classic RPG… mom tells him to go to bed during final dragon boss fight
  • OH NO WE GOT SUCKED INTO THE TV BUD
  • Lmao dude with all the satchels hates kids n’ women
  • I can already tell what they’re going for with the townsfolk critiquing the hero for being a dunce chasing the dog
  • Most important currency is LOVE! You got it Mr. Big Head
  • I HEAR THAT CLAIR DE LUNE AT GRAMBY’S HOUSE, TIM. DONT MAKE ME EMOTIONAL
  • This game is fun man… love how unique it is. Ended Day 1 on Love Level 5, Love Disciple!
  • Okay we just got a hella freaky dream with all the characters asking help…
  • Damn we cured Grambys illness <3, up to Level 9! Love Debutante!
  • LOL this entire Adder sequence is hilarious and him ending saying: “God’s walkin’ here!” Is great
  • Okay we’ve got the Dr. Hager outta the Haunted House… now we need to turn in 5 items
  • TOP ITEM - diamond shape, 32R-1 Circuit
  • BOTTOM RIGHT - cooling system rectangle
  • BOTTOM CENTER - MCM engine circle
  • BOTTOM LEFT - 100 liters of HR103% strength alcohol looks like milk bottle
  • TOP CENTER - power console looks like video game controller+screen
  • We’re now level 15! Love’s Backbone!
  • Lmao getting kicked out by the old man
  • FRED IS FREDDIE MERCURY OOOOOH lmao
  • Wow that Gematakstu’s fishing contest took me 5 attempts… got 2, 4, 4, 4 & then 5!
On 12/25/2022 at 7:51 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Meanwhile, I'm so close on pulling the trigger on Paradise Killer... what isn't clicking?!?!

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I wanted the first post on a new page to be an actual review rather than just a reply but here I am finally getting around to it!

Man I really hope I'm not completely out of touch on PK. ? I think it's incredibly unique and the mystery kept my interest for the entire runtime. Some of the final world-scaling hunting for the last requirements for a trophy may be a teensy annoying but I really would love to see some of y'all give your take/review once you play it since I've seen remarkably few people on here discuss it!

On 12/25/2022 at 7:51 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Is there anything in particular that you're desperately looking forward to playing in 2023?

Now this is a wonderful question. I won't beat around the bush. Let me give you my inklings for how I think games in my backlog are gonna score down the line.

8/10 - Inscryption

7/10 - Cris Tales, Tropico 6, Uncharted: Lost Legacy

6/10 - 9 Monkeys of Shaolin, Among Us, Bugsnax, Castle Crashers, Dandara, Dougrai, Emerald Shores, John Wick Hex, Oure

Wow... you just made me realize I don't exactly have a lot of games that have me super excited on my list... thanks for giving me a mini-crisis about my purchasing habits. (Forreal though, I typically keep expectations pretty low unless the game is an OBVIOUS slamdunk. In terms of games in general, I would love to pick up Neon White when on sale as I suspect I'm gonna love it) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Stick it to the Man!? No. I have no doubt this humor is up some people's alley. But it really wasn't up mine. Combined with the fact I find the general aesthetic unappealing to look at and you'll have a game that I'll likely completely forget about within the next few weeks. I think it's fair for me to officially file away "Zoink AB" as a studio that just doesn't make things meant for me and I'm okay with that. I apologize for such a dull and tepid review. Been a little bit off gaming-wise as of late and I suspect I need something engaging gameplay focused to wake me up out of my funk. The last game I played on that scale was Rollerdrome in early November... damn that was a good game.

Thanks for that review. Glad I can finally take it off my maybe-I'll-play-it-maybe-I-won't list. Probably should've listened to your Lost in Random review too, but I was a little too late.

I agree with your take on comedy. How many times have you seen it done well in a video game? Not a game that just has a funny character or makes you laugh in a few cutscenes, but one that specifically seems to rely on its jokes to carry the game. I can think of less than ten, which is surprising because it seems like the audience should be there for video games. Why can't they compete with books and video games?

I'm going to go ahead and add Lair of the Clockwork God to your backlog. Thank me later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

EGS_StickItToTheMan_Zoink_S1-2560x1440-9

Game: Stick it to the Man!

that-makes-me-a-sad-panda-sexual-harrasm

That's a shame. I'm bummed that it wasn't for you (I got a kick out of this game, not the best from a narrative or gameplay perspective but it reminded me of Nick and MTV cartoons I grew up with) but I'm really glad that you gave it a shot. Also I think the write-up was good! When a game doesn't connect with you it's definitely harder to get a group of paragraphs out.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:17 AM, realm722 said:

Moony.jpeg

Game: Moon (Moon: Remix RPG Adventure

Good shit! I might have to keep this one on deck... I have a sneaking suspicion that after playing FFVI I'll be in the market for this exact type of thing?

7 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm going to go ahead and add Lair of the Clockwork God to your backlog. Thank me later.

Yo I owe you a thanks for that btw, I got Lair after reading your review and finally got around to playing it last year... enjoyed the shit out of it?

• Like 2

1621-WIRED-Hideo.jpg

The Video Games I Would Create If I Had Talent (Part 1)

I've decided to debut a new series on this thread after being utterly enamored by learning more about how Lucas Pope created Return of the Obra Dinn from this interview he did with the YouTube channel, Overlode. It kind of boggles my mind that a channel with consistently quality content has under 1,000 subscribers at the time that I write this but it's honestly a bit of a hidden gem in case you'd like to check it out. After hearing about how one man decided he'd innovate on a game that had never quite been made before he actually made it, I decided to do my own thinking and ruminating on games I've concocted in my head over the many years I've been enjoying video games. I have A LOT of ideas. But, as is the case for far too many dreamers, I lack the means, faculties, abilities, and desire to bear these ideas to fruition. I'm never going to be the head of a video game studio either. Thus I've reached the compromise of pouring my soul into these posts on the off whim that some creative mind reads this thread and decides to embark on the ambitious task of turning it into reality. STEAL THESE IDEAS. I'd love to play them. If your conscience guilts you, I'd be more than happy for you to hit me up so I can decide what trophies/achievements are in the game along with a thank you in the credits would be more than satisfactory. 

The Elevator Pitch: World Cup Format + Individual Tournament + Tokimeki Memorial + Pyre 

World Cup Portion Explained - The FIFA World Cup is one of the greatest enduring sports tournaments and events of our lifetimes. You don't have to be a sports fan to even get into it. Hell, I polled 100+ of my real life friends/family over the last few months building up to the tournament asking them who they'd think would win and all were happy to give me their selection even if they hadn't seen a lick of football over the last few years. It is a unique cultural phenomenon that grips entire nation's attention from whatever woes or turmoil may be rattling the country. I'm obviously being a bit hyperbolic (Iran playing doesn't wipe away what's going on in their country), but it's such a unique magnificent setting that let's geopolitics play out on the global stage and creates for tension and drama that would make Hollywood script writers blush. You see friendships between nations form out of thin air such as Mexico & South Korea from the 2018 World Cup. OR you could see utter contempt between nations form in the most unexpected fashion such as many Africans from the nation of Ghana loathing the South American side Uruguay due to one handball back in 2010. I'd like to take this format and turn it into a game. Make it 24 individuals from 24 different nations competing in the most-watched sports competition in that alternate universe. You could use real nations or fake nations. I'd probably opt for the latter as it'd offer more flexibility and creativity with individual character designs without stepping on the toes of people who could get offended with how their country is represented. This concept is a gold mine and I don't know how games haven't taken advantage of it. 

Individual Tournament - Obviously including entire nations worth of teams in a game would be a gargantuan task. Thus, I've decided to simplify the idea and make it one person, from one nation, representing on the biggest stage. It's half sports competition, half reality TV show. These individuals are the cream of the crop in their field. They're young, vibrant, eccentric, and naturally a little bit "off" in order to have made it this far under this amount of pressure in front of billions of eyeballs. You can make it 12 boys and 12 girls. You play as one of the boys. (or hell, play as one of the girls. It's your game, bud). Part of the competition will be managing the relationships with all of your fellow competitors. Despite being individualized, there will be 3 v. 3, 2 v. 2, and 1 v. 1 competitions and iterations of various sports. (Don't know if one mode itself would be enough to stand on its own. it COULD, depending on how deep the gameplay is. Think something like Rocket League? But it also couldn't which could mean different sports for different events which would make this a triathlon of sorts). What will make players fall in love with the game is interacting with your peers in this competition. You can form deep relationships and attachments with them such as if in a 3 v. 3 game one of your teammates feeds you a clutch pass and your win. This will be organically fed into the narrative and your bond with that peer will grow stronger. Naturally, you will also have rivalries with players that defeat you or if you defeat them. Some of your peers will be utter competitive monster freaks who will do everything in their power to get an edge. It's a feeding frenzy for players to get invested in and I literally can't stop thinking of different sorts of personalities and storylines you could create with this formula. 

Tokimeki Memorial - Here's my big twist on the game. MAKE A ROMANCE A CORE ELEMENT OF THE GAME. You're a boy, and though this is as high stakes as it can get for a competition, these games take place in a dystopian hedonistic society. As is natural for these games and competitions such as the Olympics, all of these young, virulently testosterone-filled individuals want to BANG. You can go on dates with any of the different girls. Some will be down right away to talk, interact, hang out, and do the dirty. Others will be more business, less pleasure. The player will decide who they're interested in, who they take a liking to, what chemistry works on and off the field, and how those relationships can be broken if you betray one gal in favor of another. I feel like romance is a criminally unexplored aspect of video game media outside of the typical "dating simulator". Make dating and romance apart of games with gameplay. Imagine the fun you two could have going for a victory dinner after the both of you win a clutch 2 v. 2 matchup. OR the despair and potential break-up if your significant other bests you in 1 v. 1 affair and your season comes to end as you fall short of your championship aspirations. 

Pyre - Make losing a natural part of the game. In any highly competitive sport, it is damn near impossible to win all the time. Most video games want you to win every boss battle or else it's game over and you just need to try again. Instead of that, make losing a core gameplay element. Tell the player at the start of the game that you aren't expected to win every matchup and feeling the weight of losing as opposed to automatically restarting adds to your personal "story" and creates for a dynamic experience as opposed to obliterating everyone. Do you know how some of your best moments in games like XCOM or Faster Than Light are when you personally create the narrative of the ups and downs of your crew on this journey to the final destination? It can be done the same here. You may have a rocky first season. You may finish with more losses than wins. But after some hard-fought training and cultivating key relationships, you may come back for a stronger sophomore showing and be an underdog in the playoff tournament that makes a surprise run to the semi-finals! All of a sudden, in your finale 3rd year, you're a fan favorite amongst the hundreds of millions viewing worldwide and finally reach the key praise championship as you sail off into the sunset with your arms around your best mate who you befriended over the course of the 3 years and your girlfriend who you promised to marry once the tournament was over!

The Unfeasibility Of This Game - Listen, I'm not delusional. I know how impractical all of this is. My mind is breaking from imagining the amount of dialogue that would need to be written for all the plausible scenarios this game would have to account for. Accounting for all the different possible matchups and relationships between 24 competitors and how they would have increasing variables based on how randomized results play out. Multiply this over the course of a 3-year cycle and you're talking about a rabbit hole that not even Alice in Wonderland wants to go down. But I'd love even just a taste of it. Hell, make it just 1 season and I think it'd be genuinely plausible. It'd add to the stakes. But it'd almost be like a roguelite of sorts and you'd go again and again until you finally won the tournament or befriended a completely different set of friends. My mind is still racing with scenarios. You could have a natural best friend roommate (who you could befriend or make hate you depending on if you vibe with his flamboyant personality) who's into all the girls and gives you the rundown on them. You could include real-world scenarios where a player from one of the competiting countries has a global scandal and you could perhaps aid them in what direction they should or should not lean based on what the government they're representing is doing. You could create unique personalities for your player character by asking questions such as: "Do you believe one should be allowed to celebrate as one likes in a sport or are there limits?, "Is running up the score in a competition fair play or classless?, Are you willing to play dirty in order to win?". AHHHH!!! So many bloody ideas! Make all the boys and girls hot as hell and you'll have enough fan art to blot out the sun. you could have sports commentators / play-by-play analysts serve as the speakers during gameplay and deal with annoying ass Skip Bayless-like haters for your character like LeBron has to deal with. I'm not crazy for thinking this all sounds absolutely incredible, right? Right? 

• Like 4

On 1/9/2023 at 3:29 PM, realm722 said:

Game: Return of the Obra Dinn

Glad you got around to this one. I think it's my favorite puzzle game I've played in the past decade, and easily one of the most memorable.

15 hours ago, realm722 said:

The Unfeasibility Of This Game - Listen, I'm not delusional. I know how impractical all of this is. My mind is breaking from imagining the amount of dialogue that would need to be written for all the plausible scenarios this game would have to account for. Accounting for all the different possible matchups and relationships between 24 competitors and how they would have increasing variables based on how randomized results play out. Multiply this over the course of a 3-year cycle and you're talking about a rabbit hole that not even Alice in Wonderland wants to go down.

So, depending on how willing you are to compromise, I have an idea that could make this a lot more feasible than you think. Simply don't have dialogue. Some of the best, most immersive games I've played in recent years have had little to no talking. It could be like a farming sim, where you build friendships and rivalries either through personal experience on an in-game mechanic, such as a heart system. The time that would be spent on creating thousands of lines of dialogue could instead be spent on facial animations or emotes. I don't know about you, but I have a very easy time in forming my own likes and dislikes for a character based solely on their character portrait/model and their actions in a game. Take the bosses in Dark Souls, for example. A lot of them have no dialogue, but it doesn't stop me from hating their existence. Same for Harvest Moon games. While they DO have in-game dialogue, it's usually pretty limited, but that never stopped me from growing an irrational hatred towards Kai.

You also brought up XCOM, which does this very thing. There are essentially two stories in XCOM: the cheesy, actual story, which does have dialogue, and the narrative you build for yourself based on the randomized soldiers you get. The game you seem to be describing is more like the latter. I'd argue that an XCOM game where you get soldiers with preset soldiers with preset dialogue would be a lot less impactful. (I know because that's what every non-XCOM game tries to do, completely missing the point.)

Another thing you brought up is games that allow you to continue even when you lose (e.g. Pyre). XCOM also does this. Dark Souls kinda does, I guess. It's a stretch. At any rate, I think this is something that should be present in more games. One of the advantages video games have over other mediums is that alternate timelines can exist. If Mario reaches a bottomless pit, he can either jump over the pit and continue the level or fall into the pit and die. Sure, dying puts you back at a checkpoint, but the fact either scenario can happen at any point to any player makes it a lot more interesting than a book, TV show, or movie, where the event is already predetermined. The character will either live or die. Rereading or rewatching won't change that. That's unfortunately one of the reasons I've come to dislike in-game cutscenes, because they take that unknown away from the player. But someone who keeps reaching that pit and falling in before eventually overcoming it is still going to have a narrative experience that is wholly unique from someone who clears the pit on the first try, even if the rest of the level essentially plays out the same. Similarly, in a game like Obra Dinn, you and I probably approached things very differently, even through you could argue the game is more or less linear.

In some ways, I think dialogue can hold a game back because it relies too much on traditional storytelling. Sometimes there is value in trusting the player to create their own story.

• Like 4

On 1/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, realm722 said:

1621-WIRED-Hideo.jpg

The Video Games I Would Create If I Had Talent (Part 1)

I've decided to debut a new series on this thread after being utterly enamored by learning more about how Lucas Pope created Return of the Obra Dinn from this interview he did with the YouTube channel, Overlode. It kind of boggles my mind that a channel with consistently quality content has under 1,000 subscribers at the time that I write this but it's honestly a bit of a hidden gem in case you'd like to check it out. After hearing about how one man decided he'd innovate on a game that had never quite been made before he actually made it, I decided to do my own thinking and ruminating on games I've concocted in my head over the many years I've been enjoying video games. I have A LOT of ideas. But, as is the case for far too many dreamers, I lack the means, faculties, abilities, and desire to bear these ideas to fruition. I'm never going to be the head of a video game studio either. Thus I've reached the compromise of pouring my soul into these posts on the off whim that some creative mind reads this thread and decides to embark on the ambitious task of turning it into reality. STEAL THESE IDEAS. I'd love to play them. If your conscience guilts you, I'd be more than happy for you to hit me up so I can decide what trophies/achievements are in the game along with a thank you in the credits would be more than satisfactory. 

The Elevator Pitch: World Cup Format + Individual Tournament + Tokimeki Memorial + Pyre 

World Cup Portion Explained - The FIFA World Cup is one of the greatest enduring sports tournaments and events of our lifetimes. You don't have to be a sports fan to even get into it. Hell, I polled 100+ of my real life friends/family over the last few months building up to the tournament asking them who they'd think would win and all were happy to give me their selection even if they hadn't seen a lick of football over the last few years. It is a unique cultural phenomenon that grips entire nation's attention from whatever woes or turmoil may be rattling the country. I'm obviously being a bit hyperbolic (Iran playing doesn't wipe away what's going on in their country), but it's such a unique magnificent setting that let's geopolitics play out on the global stage and creates for tension and drama that would make Hollywood script writers blush. You see friendships between nations form out of thin air such as Mexico & South Korea from the 2018 World Cup. OR you could see utter contempt between nations form in the most unexpected fashion such as many Africans from the nation of Ghana loathing the South American side Uruguay due to one handball back in 2010. I'd like to take this format and turn it into a game. Make it 24 individuals from 24 different nations competing in the most-watched sports competition in that alternate universe. You could use real nations or fake nations. I'd probably opt for the latter as it'd offer more flexibility and creativity with individual character designs without stepping on the toes of people who could get offended with how their country is represented. This concept is a gold mine and I don't know how games haven't taken advantage of it. 

Individual Tournament - Obviously including entire nations worth of teams in a game would be a gargantuan task. Thus, I've decided to simplify the idea and make it one person, from one nation, representing on the biggest stage. It's half sports competition, half reality TV show. These individuals are the cream of the crop in their field. They're young, vibrant, eccentric, and naturally a little bit "off" in order to have made it this far under this amount of pressure in front of billions of eyeballs. You can make it 12 boys and 12 girls. You play as one of the boys. (or hell, play as one of the girls. It's your game, bud). Part of the competition will be managing the relationships with all of your fellow competitors. Despite being individualized, there will be 3 v. 3, 2 v. 2, and 1 v. 1 competitions and iterations of various sports. (Don't know if one mode itself would be enough to stand on its own. it COULD, depending on how deep the gameplay is. Think something like Rocket League? But it also couldn't which could mean different sports for different events which would make this a triathlon of sorts). What will make players fall in love with the game is interacting with your peers in this competition. You can form deep relationships and attachments with them such as if in a 3 v. 3 game one of your teammates feeds you a clutch pass and your win. This will be organically fed into the narrative and your bond with that peer will grow stronger. Naturally, you will also have rivalries with players that defeat you or if you defeat them. Some of your peers will be utter competitive monster freaks who will do everything in their power to get an edge. It's a feeding frenzy for players to get invested in and I literally can't stop thinking of different sorts of personalities and storylines you could create with this formula. 

Tokimeki Memorial - Here's my big twist on the game. MAKE A ROMANCE A CORE ELEMENT OF THE GAME. You're a boy, and though this is as high stakes as it can get for a competition, these games take place in a dystopian hedonistic society. As is natural for these games and competitions such as the Olympics, all of these young, virulently testosterone-filled individuals want to BANG. You can go on dates with any of the different girls. Some will be down right away to talk, interact, hang out, and do the dirty. Others will be more business, less pleasure. The player will decide who they're interested in, who they take a liking to, what chemistry works on and off the field, and how those relationships can be broken if you betray one gal in favor of another. I feel like romance is a criminally unexplored aspect of video game media outside of the typical "dating simulator". Make dating and romance apart of games with gameplay. Imagine the fun you two could have going for a victory dinner after the both of you win a clutch 2 v. 2 matchup. OR the despair and potential break-up if your significant other bests you in 1 v. 1 affair and your season comes to end as you fall short of your championship aspirations. 

Pyre - Make losing a natural part of the game. In any highly competitive sport, it is damn near impossible to win all the time. Most video games want you to win every boss battle or else it's game over and you just need to try again. Instead of that, make losing a core gameplay element. Tell the player at the start of the game that you aren't expected to win every matchup and feeling the weight of losing as opposed to automatically restarting adds to your personal "story" and creates for a dynamic experience as opposed to obliterating everyone. Do you know how some of your best moments in games like XCOM or Faster Than Light are when you personally create the narrative of the ups and downs of your crew on this journey to the final destination? It can be done the same here. You may have a rocky first season. You may finish with more losses than wins. But after some hard-fought training and cultivating key relationships, you may come back for a stronger sophomore showing and be an underdog in the playoff tournament that makes a surprise run to the semi-finals! All of a sudden, in your finale 3rd year, you're a fan favorite amongst the hundreds of millions viewing worldwide and finally reach the key praise championship as you sail off into the sunset with your arms around your best mate who you befriended over the course of the 3 years and your girlfriend who you promised to marry once the tournament was over!

The Unfeasibility Of This Game - Listen, I'm not delusional. I know how impractical all of this is. My mind is breaking from imagining the amount of dialogue that would need to be written for all the plausible scenarios this game would have to account for. Accounting for all the different possible matchups and relationships between 24 competitors and how they would have increasing variables based on how randomized results play out. Multiply this over the course of a 3-year cycle and you're talking about a rabbit hole that not even Alice in Wonderland wants to go down. But I'd love even just a taste of it. Hell, make it just 1 season and I think it'd be genuinely plausible. It'd add to the stakes. But it'd almost be like a roguelite of sorts and you'd go again and again until you finally won the tournament or befriended a completely different set of friends. My mind is still racing with scenarios. You could have a natural best friend roommate (who you could befriend or make hate you depending on if you vibe with his flamboyant personality) who's into all the girls and gives you the rundown on them. You could include real-world scenarios where a player from one of the competiting countries has a global scandal and you could perhaps aid them in what direction they should or should not lean based on what the government they're representing is doing. You could create unique personalities for your player character by asking questions such as: "Do you believe one should be allowed to celebrate as one likes in a sport or are there limits?, "Is running up the score in a competition fair play or classless?, Are you willing to play dirty in order to win?". AHHHH!!! So many bloody ideas! Make all the boys and girls hot as hell and you'll have enough fan art to blot out the sun. you could have sports commentators / play-by-play analysts serve as the speakers during gameplay and deal with annoying ass Skip Bayless-like haters for your character like LeBron has to deal with. I'm not crazy for thinking this all sounds absolutely incredible, right? Right? 

Holy heck, i want this made. i would buy this.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, realm722 said:

Lucas pope? you mean the guy who did Paper's please? that one is on the "play when you turn 18 pile"

EDIT: WAIT he did the Republia times as well? man that game looks cool, shame it's browser only. i guess i have the westport independent which is probably the best alternative but still.... ah what the heck i am going to get it installed tonight 

Edited by serrated-banner9
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 5:31 PM, Cassylvania said:

So, depending on how willing you are to compromise, I have an idea that could make this a lot more feasible than you think. Simply don't have dialogue. Some of the best, most immersive games I've played in recent years have had little to no talking. It could be like a farming sim, where you build friendships and rivalries either through personal experience on an in-game mechanic, such as a heart system. The time that would be spent on creating thousands of lines of dialogue could instead be spent on facial animations or emotes. I don't know about you, but I have a very easy time in forming my own likes and dislikes for a character based solely on their character portrait/model and their actions in a game. Take the bosses in Dark Souls, for example. A lot of them have no dialogue, but it doesn't stop me from hating their existence. Same for Harvest Moon games. While they DO have in-game dialogue, it's usually pretty limited, but that never stopped me from growing an irrational hatred towards Kai.

That's a very reasonable compromise. Again, the idea for my game is so wildly out there that accounting for all the different scenarios and dynamics would be an incredibly daunting task. I've 100% enjoyed games for the same ways you've mentioned. A funny way I'd describe is for years I LOVED playing as the general managers in sports games (Madden, FIFA, MLB The Show, NBA2k, you name it) and even though players don't even speak or have dialog (at least back during the days I played), you'd grow attached to prospects you personally drafted and brought up the ranks or find some diamond undrafted gem in the rough who you turn into a starter on your championship contender. Something similar could work. 

You also brought up XCOM, which does this very thing. There are essentially two stories in XCOM: the cheesy, actual story, which does have dialogue, and the narrative you build for yourself based on the randomized soldiers you get. The game you seem to be describing is more like the latter. I'd argue that an XCOM game where you get soldiers with preset soldiers with preset dialogue would be a lot less impactful. (I know because that's what every non-XCOM game tries to do, completely missing the point.)

Now you're kinda making me want to try out XCOM but that's 100-hour sinkhole I can't even let myself risk falling into ?. I'd have to see the game to know but yes and no? I think what you're saying makes complete sense. But what I'd like in my game is keeping the cast relatively small (okay 24 characters is A LOT of characters but games like Danganronpa, Ai Sominum Files, Zero Escape, etc... have done it with 9-13) and REALLY flesh them out. I don't think you'd find them "preset" if you knew that you were personally selecting from the buffet of characters available and you personally chose which 5-6 you decided to get really attached to and which ones you make your sworn enemy. Where I'd counteract your concept is how I felt when playing the first Valkyria Chronicles. I honestly enjoyed some of the quirkiness of some of the lesser-known characters... but the cast and team was SO BIG and with nothing like social links/events to really get to know them (such as in Persona 5), I could only get SO attached and drifted towards the characters that actually got shine during the story. Plus, Belgian Waffle Girl wins World War 2 by herself made befriending the rest kind of obsolete. 

That's unfortunately one of the reasons I've come to dislike in-game cutscenes, because they take that unknown away from the player. But someone who keeps reaching that pit and falling in before eventually overcoming it is still going to have a narrative experience that is wholly unique from someone who clears the pit on the first try, even if the rest of the level essentially plays out the same. Similarly, in a game like Obra Dinn, you and I probably approached things very differently, even through you could argue the game is more or less linear.

Ooooh I'm kinda mixed on this! I've seen a growing increase in some people who feel similarly to the way you do. The best thing about video games is we're in control of them! A cutscene is taking that away so we can see what the developers want us to see. I get why this could be unappealing. But I think if the story/dialogue of a game is well done, I will view cutscenes as a reward for my having played well and gotten to this point rather than a side effect? All I know is that for games like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Dragon Quest 11, whenever I triggered a cutscene it wasn't: "welp time to tune out" it was "I can't wait to see what these characters do now." BUT I have played games where it is the case of the former (cough Stick it to the Man!, Lost in Random cough)

I like your points though! I think your version is 100% the more plausible to get created by a small indie as that amount of dialogue is so intimidating and honestly, the reason why we don't see MORE branching stories (outside of like David Cage), is that whenever you do that, you're fracturing your player audience. Oh you beat the boss? 70% of people will see this scene. Oh you lost to the boss? 30% will see this scene. and if you want those consequences to be lasting, the fracturing only increases and you're dedicating more and more resources to portions of games huge swaths of your audience won't even view. Cage with Detroit: Become Human may have done it the best I've ever seen in a game and damn... c'mon video game industry, don't let Cage have that crown!

12 hours ago, serrated-banner9 said:

Holy heck, i want this made. i would buy this. Lucas pope? you mean the guy who did Paper's please? that one is on the "play when you turn 18 pile"

EDIT: WAIT he did the Republia times as well? man that game looks cool, shame it's browser only. i guess i have the westport independent which is probably the best alternative but still.... ah what the heck i am going to get it installed tonight 

Hahaha, thank you for the kind comment :D. Yes! Lucas Pope is freaking awesome. He even lives in Japan! It's nice to hear he just seems like a chill dude who enjoys making games and he sounds quite grounded for all the success he's had. I've personally found it helpful to keep track of the names of creators who make things I love as it allows me to catch up with them whenever they debut their latest project!

• Like 1

Well, you beat me to that one. I also bought John Wick Hex on sale.

Your review is about what I was expecting, which is why I was willing to pay the money, but also why I haven't started it yet. (And while I have seen the movie, I've only seen the first one and barely remember it.)

Where's part 2 of games you would create?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 3:45 PM, realm722 said:

Would I recommend Cris Tales? Maybe? If you don't like turn-based RPGs, this game will not change your mind. Don't play it. If you enjoy turn-based RPGs, especially the leaner kind, I think there may be something here for you. I can't help but respect the game for the amount of love so evidently poured into it. How stunning it is to look at. The depth and curation put into character portraits for even some of the most inconsequential NPCs. Yet there are so many little things the game slips up on that I understand why it has "mixed" rated reviews on Steam and is generally critiqued as a disappointment amongst those who were so optimistic after gawking at how gorgeous it is. I really do need Cassy to play this. This is so up their alley that it's smacking me in the face.

Fun fact: Cris Tales was my first PS5 game. I think I bought it the same day that I got my PS5. It's been middling reviews like yours that have kept it on my shelf. Actually reading through your review, though, I think I can get over those blemishes... I'm just going to want to make sure I don't miss any trophies because having to play through a game twice because I didn't talk to some NPC near the beginning of the game really sours my experience.

I'll bump it up on my backlog.

• Like 1

Dude, I love your goal of playing games from as many different countries as possible?

Also I see you've got The Swindle in your backlog as well! It definitely seems like a bit of a tall order, but it's the same peeps who made Lair of the Clockwork God so I'm fully expecting a good (if not great) time. I guess we'll see who gets to it first?

OptimisticCommonIndusriverdolphin-size_r

• Like 1

Can I play too?

On 01/02/2023 at 1:24 PM, realm722 said:

Hogwarts Legacy (78)

Crime Boss: Rockay City (58)

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (86)

Redfall (77)

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (72)

83 - I have faith!

Starfield (82) - I'm going to do something that nobody has done since Bethesda set their last shred of credibility aflame with the release of Fallout 76. I'm going to BELIEVE in Bethesda. That's right folks. I've gone off the deep end. Tie me up and put me in a straight jacket and throw me in the looney bin. I understand why people are skeptical about Starfield. Hell, anybody expecting it to be bugfree is smoking crack. But I simply cannot fathom Microsoft purchasing Bethesda for 7.5 BILLION DOLLARS and not ensuring that their next biggest release isn't at the very least a decent success. It doesn't have to be a homerun. It doesn't have to be Morrowind. It doesn't have to even be Fallout 3. It just needs to be... solid

65 - I do not have faith!

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (88)

88!

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 5:24 AM, realm722 said:

fcixd2jxoae8rle-1663080849740.jpg

I Predict The Metacritic Scores For the Biggest Games Set to Release in 2023

i want to play too :)

Hogwarts Legacy (78) - 

61 - i don't have faith

Atomic Heart (71) - 

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (81)

Crime Boss: Rockay City (58) -

80 - i have faith despite having never have heard about it lol

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (86) -

Redfall (77) -

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (93) -

76 - Nintendo will mess up, watch them

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (72) -

Final Fantasy 16 (90) -

85 - GOTY Contender

Hollow Knight: Silksong (94)

91 - GOTY Contender if it doesn't get delayed again lol

Starfield (82)

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (88) - 

84 - GOTY Contender

i gonna add some more cause why not (And to start discussion)

The Crew: Motorfest

67 - if this scores 75+ i will be amazed

Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown

92 - GOTY Contender, I have faith!

EA SPORTS U.F.C 24/FIFA 24

67 - it's ea what did you expect?

• Like 2

hero

Game: Mulaka

Analysis: I bought Mulaka when it was on sale for $1.99 back at the beginning of January 2023. This is a pleasant 10-hour romp indie adventure if you're willing!

Why Mulaka? My quest for conquering the ambitious task of playing a game from every country continued with Mulaka. Despite having a population of over 126 million people, I had never stumbled into a game created by a Mexican studio. That fact has now changed. From the creative minds over at Lienzo (based in Chihuahua, Mexico), Mulaka is actually the studio's 2nd major release. The first one was Hunter's Legacy, and their 3rd, Azetch Forgotten Gods, was released in March of 2022. I'll admit that my expectations were fairly low after purchasing the game. It seems like none of their games have gotten much traction amongst the gaming circles I dabble in and despite the country's vast population, there are shockingly few video game studios to actually pick from if you'd like to try a game from there. It goes to show you how expectations are everything as I can say with no exaggeration that I was impressed by the competency in nearly every facet Mulaka has to offer!

A Surprisingly Competent Combat/Movement System - As I don't look at gameplay videos for most games before I purchase them, I had my doubts about whether or not the moment-to-moment gameplay would be any good given how I had never heard of Mulaka in my life before actively searching out games from distinct countries. Boy, they did well here, man! You play as a Tarahumara shaman and damn can he move! I love how the game lets you sprint infinitely without limiting you in the form of a stamina bar. As you play, you'll gain different forms of animals that enhance your movement abilities. A bird power-up which will essentially serve as a double jump and allow you to glide past vast distances. A bear power-up that smashes huge rocks. A puma power-up that will allow you to scale huge vertical pillars. A snake power-up that aids in some puzzles and allows you to run on water. These upgrades are given at a gradual pace so the game's always throwing something new at you. As this is an action-adventure game and not a platformer though, the game would live or die if you enjoy its combat system. I say it's pretty good! At least a B! Some may find it a teensy bit "button-mashy", but the game has a number of combos you can do and while I never went out of my way to memorize them (just balancing light and heavy attacks whenever they felt right), I had a damn good time beating up most of the foes you'll come across. You also have a distinct vision ability by clicking R1 that allows you to view things not available to the naked eye (enemy health bar, some enemies in general, where the next key item is located). Boss fights are damn solid with 1-2 mechanics that you need to work out. I'd say my biggest complaint with the system is whatever they tried with incorporating the spear-throwing system should have been scrapped. You can see me struggle with it here in this footage. This is basically the only enemy in the game that you HAVE to knock down with a spear and it's awkward as your guy is immovable when he's aiming to throw which makes you a piñata if you haven't taken out every other enemy in the fighting arena yet. You also have a dodge capability by clicking O which feels nice. All in all, it's some solid action gameplay for an indie, and while not breaking any new ground, is just about the perfect sort of game I want to keep me occupied while listening to a podcast or YouTube video

A Game With Good Structure - Quite possibly the most underrated aspect of video games is their pacing and structure. I like it when a game has a good formula. When I know what to expect, and even if it's not revolutionary, if it's good, I'll enjoy it. In Mulaka, there are 7 levels you'll be exploring. In all 7, you will be given the task of finding 3 unique gem/crystals to unlock a giant door and progress to the boss of the section. Once you complete it, you move on to the next area. It's perfect! It's so simple, yet despite the relatively short length of the game, it offered such excellent start/stopping points for me. I just finished 2 worlds, I'll stop today, and get 2 more done tomorrow. All of these average around a similar length in time and it's so cozy once you get familiar with the rhythm. Actually finding the gems always has some variance to them. Perhaps you'll earn it after the end of a lengthy combat arena. OR maybe you'll need to solve another one of those water flow puzzles. Wow... there are A LOT of water flow puzzles in this game. Like, I swore, on 4 different occasions I thought: "this must be the last one there's no way they make one more complicated than this" and whaddya know, there'd be another new one on the next level. They're not hard. I found them kinda engaging surprisingly despite their simplicity? Don't listen to me on puzzles. I kinda enjoyed the ones in the lab sections of Marvel's Spider-Man

My Handful of Gripes - I recognize that I've talked about the game in a very praiseworthy fashion up until now. But I have to say that a lot of that comes from the fact I had low expectations. Mulaka is not one of my new favorite games of All-Time. It's a nice, novel, brisk experience that I want to talk positively about in part because I've seen next to no one talk about it in general. I could see someone entirely different play the game and find it to be a relatively empty adventure. They may be perplexed by why there was a need for the potion system in the game (aside from the healing) as aside from the grenades... do we really need that shield-up potion or rage one to boost damage? OR how about the length of time it requires to use a potion? I understand making it take some time to heal due to the active risk and desired challenge for healing while in combat (see: Dark Souls) but damn... does my man really have to do a WHOLE ASS dance jig EVERY time? Cutting 3-5 seconds on the animation would have been nice. Your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy the story/narrative elements of the game. I didn't mention them much until now as I'd be lying if I said it had me utterly engrossed. I enjoyed it. I always enjoy exploring unique settings/cultures in games. You can talk to every NPC you come across and they'll have something to say. Some held my attention more than others. I think this is a solid game that more people should play, but I'd be surprised if I met anyone who LOVED this game, yanno? 

The Trophy Experience - As the game has under 500 owners, it is my duty to document my experience. There are some aids on both PlayStationTrophies and XboxAchievements that will offer the majority of what you need. You are EXPECTED to return to past levels even after beating them. You'll need to do this to find all the ghosts and it's only possible to wrap everything up after you get the final snake upgrade in the 2nd to last level. While doing this, find random pots with korima that you didn't get on your first time through as you'll need a bunch to purchase all the upgrades. The game is generous with korima though so you'll never have the need to grind if you explore each level thoroughly which isn't too tricky. Kill a boss with the bear transformation (I did it on the first boss I faced after earning it, frog guy) and you'll have no other missable to worry about other than don't lose more than 8 lives on one playthrough. I personally only lost 3 in my entire time with the game. I will say that I was hyper-vigilant with healing and always did it if my bar was halfway gone as you can easily get knocked down to 1/4 by a boss with a heavy attack. I would say invest all of your korima early into the defense/soul upgrades so you can take hits without losing too much. By being careful, this really shouldn't offer too much of a hassle or headache. I earned the 18.14% rarity platinum in 4 days and 38 minutes.

Would I recommend Mulaka? Yes! I'd like to see more people play this game. I think you should especially play it if you enjoy learning about different cultures from your own and video games are a pretty cool medium to make that possible. I think even if you don't come away particularly enjoying your time with it, I'd be surprised to hear someone say they hated it. There's just not much here to actively dislike. The movement is solid, the combat is sound, and you move along quickly enough to different levels and mechanics that I don't think it can "overstay its welcome". I'm chuffed to say I've checked another country off the list. I've got my eyes set on Argentina, Malaysia, & Peru next. But I got somewhere in mind before them first!

Panda Score: 6.88 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 3.4 / 10

Edited by realm722
  • Like 4

hero

Game: ICEY

Analysis: I bought ICEY when it was on sale for $7.49 in mid-January 2023. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit underwhelmed by the end product. 

Why ICEY? I'd actually heard good things about ICEY on and off over the last few years as a fairly brisk game that has fun breaking the 4th wall as it responds to the player's actions. The reason why I decided to play it now of all times is 1) It finally went on sale again and I was able to pick it up and 2) I'm trying to line up my 9,000th trophy to be a game I suspect I'm going to greatly enjoy. Combine that with the fact ICEY would be my 3rd game from a Chinese developer which would qualify if for the "Country Counts" chart, I had enough incentive to finally give it a crack. 

A Breezy Combat System - ICEY is a 2D Action game which means the majority of time in combat you'll be smashing some combination of light () and heavy () attacks. There are plenty of combos in the game that you can experiment with but I honestly didn't see much need to learn any of them with how easy the vast majority of the game is. Still, everything in the game feels quite good. It's fun to see how rapidly you can take down any entire enemy boss's health bar. The dash mechanic (R1) feels phenomenal and the fact the game allows you to dash infinitely without limitation makes traversal feel rapid. The game only ever really challenged me during the Ideon boss fight and that was largely because of his obnoxious laser attacks that would constantly stun ICEY. After 5-6 deaths, I finally took him down. Despite the game's lackluster challenge and general button-mashy tendencies, it feels good to play. If I had tried to push myself and play on a harder difficulty (which the games gives you zero incentive to do, trophy-wise at least), I could see the fun in actually learning enemy wind-ups so you can parry/counter them as opposed to taking a lot of damage on the chin and hit-trading. 

The Meta Humor - I.... did not enjoy the meta humor in ICEY. Ultimately, this is why I think I came away slightly disappointed in the game as opposed to being pleasantly surprised by it as many were back when the game first released in 2016. There are a multitude of reasons for this. One of the biggest ones being I couldn't help but think of The Stanely Parable while playing. I haven't played the game myself, but I have seen someone play it. The original game released back in 2013. Which means I can't help but get the sensation that some of the developers over at FantaBlade Network were undeniably inspired and added some of the game's formula to their own. It means that none of the humor... surprised me. Oh you went right instead of going left as the narrator wanted you to? Guess what, he's going to start getting a bit irritated with you! Purposefully drag-out sequences or disobey his instructions? He's going to start lashing out at you! There's even a segment where they swap out the game you're playing for "another" one if you don't decide to play along. (tSP did this with Minecraft & Portal) I think the most novel moment in the game is when the developer presents you with past builds of the game. One of the reasons I feel like the humor didn't land is the narrator's voice actor was also subpar. Lost in Random's was vastly superior. The English VA was some guy called Lee Hand who only has one other iMDB credit aside from this game. The game jokes about not having side quests, as well as poking fun at trophy hunters and the vapidness of the endeavor. It's cute. I wasn't bothered by it. I do think that any developer with this mindset should either 1) Just makes trophies part of the natural progression of the game through completion. OR 2) Add trophies that will incentivize mechanics/modes that players on their own may not explore. I've undoubtedly had tons of game experiences enhanced by trophies and so the myopic view: "all achievements are bad" is played out for me at this point. 

An Observation on Chinese Games - I have now platinumed 3 games from Chinese video game studios. My 1st was My Time at Portia, my 2nd was Neon Abyss, and ICEY is now my 3rd. While that's not a strikingly large sample size, I can't help but feel like I've noticed a trend amongst all three creative endeavors. Many of these studios have attempted an effort at a known formula (farming sim, roguelite, meta-humor game) and each have their own fair share of unique ideas that on their own are noteworthy and quite a creative twist on the genre. Yet... they all lack something. It's the soul factor. I'm not here saying that these studios are incapable of it whatsoever... but... it feels like an approach to game design that is so focused on numbers and spreadsheets that it loses the genuineness found in smaller, more focused projects. Perhaps I'm completely off base. It seems like the majority of players have enjoyed these games more than me and each have cultivated their own dedicated fanbase. Hell, the biggest Chinese video game of All-Time that I blew off has nearly 2 million followers on their video game subreddit. Clearly, people love it. I definitely want to play more games from the region as I can't help but have my curiosity piqued. If you'd like to find out more about the Chinese game development scene in general, I HIGHLY recommend NeverKnowsBest video on indie development over there. He covers some fascinating games that you've likely never heard of. 

Would I recommend ICEY? Maybe? I don't think you're missing out on much if you don't play the game but it's also an absolute breeze to play that for a fairly cupcake platinum, you could do much worse. There's a fantastic text walkthrough for the plat found on PlayStationTrophies that is so easy to follow for being so succinct I honestly think it's the only source you need if you want to earn all the trophies on your first playthrough. I'd be curious to know if someone who has never previously played The Stanley Parable felt about the game. Does the meta-humor come off a lot more fresh and cutting? OR does the lackluster VA still do too much damage to the overall message? I ultimately earned the 64.62% rarity platinum in 2 hours and 42 minutes. That's all from me. Eagles up 21-14 in Super Bowl LVII but I still believes in a hobbled Mahomes to comeback in the 2nd half. See y'all next time!

Panda Score: 6.47 / 10

Panda Difficulty: 2.1 / 10

Edited by realm722
  • Like 3

fdf01f78241c797768772994737129f72aafdeb2

My Latest Obsession: Indie Game Marketing & Chris Zukowski

Chris Zukowski's Website: HowToMarketAGame

Every now and then I will stumble down a YouTube rabbit hole that fascinates me and the latest one that has completely captivated me relates to video games. I am someone who will likely never make a video game. I don't possess the artistry or the programming prowess. I'm okay with that. But I'm still intrigued by those who decide to make that drastic lifestyle choice. These are creatives who very often are willing to quit their full-time job (whether at a current studio or not) and throw themselves into their creation. You can't create a better story that you hope to see succeed. Sadly, with the number of games released on Steam, many developers will be one-and-done despite their passion. What Zukowski is trying to do is offer an inside edge or common tips & tricks to help those trying to make it in the industry survive. There are so many to list off here that I'm just going to rattle off some of his content that I've already consumed.

YouTube Videos Watched

How To Market A Game on Steam

30 Minute Steam Page Makeovers

Why are wishlists so important to indie devs?

How to pick the right type of indie game to make

What to Write So People Buy: Selling your Game Without Feeling Sleazy

2022 Year in Review Promo

Articles On Blog Read:

Pay Attention these Secretely Popular Sub-Genres

What's the best day to release an indie game?

Are Vampie Survivor-likes dead?

The Median Indie Game does not earn a whole lot

Six Types of Best Selling Games

6 Interesting Lessons from the Dome Keeper Launch

Maybe Mixing Genres is a Bad Idea

10 Reasons You Should Stop Targeting Casual Gamers

More evidence of which genres steam shoppers love to play

Other Indie Developers Are Not Your Competition

How Peglin Made $1,049,413 In 1 Week

Of course, this man is quite literally teaching people how to market and advertise so I shouldn't be all that surprised that he's so affable and personable but seriously, I have learned so much by just reading a few of his articles. His main focus is of course the hub of indie games which is on Steam given the barriers that limit developers from easily publishing on any of the individual consoles but even via that route I have found some fascinating games that have been around long enough that they've seen a PS5 release, such as Webbed and Roundguard. This is me taking from a selfish perspective of just wanting to see more awesome indie games come to PlayStation so I can play them but it's fascinating seeing him offer a behind-the-scenes look with inside stories from these very developers. How the Peglin developer was originally intimidated by an indie with a similar hook/concept yet released anyway and teamed up with the other devs and it ended up soaring the game to ever bigger hits! I absolutely love his article on why indies shouldn't appeal to casuals. He conveys it in such an eloquent yet understandable manner that when you're down you realize how foolish the original notion even was, to begin with. AND as a bonus, he does it in a humorous manner! (Talking about hardcore gamers shadowbanning you on Reddit lmao)

It is interesting to see some of the pushback people will give him on Twitter. One detail you'll see him consistently urge developers is that one of, if not the single biggest decision you make when deciding to make a game and determining whether or not it would be successful is the GENRE. It doesn't matter if you make the prettiest, most wonderful, most engaging, enthralling Match 3 game... they simply don't sell on Steam. The one that did had girls with big boobies in them and all the reviews complained about how there wasn't any sex in the game. Another virtually impossible genre is making a 2D platformer. Why? Because there's a gazillion of them. Nobody wants to buy them. You may cite the one example of Celeste but that's survivorship bias. The one out of a million that actually made it. It's not a trustworthy template to base your livelihood on. It's kinda like how every NBA fan who had a lengthy wing with good defense back in the mid-2010s thought their favorite prospect could developer into Kawhi Leonard. From Stanley Johnson to Justise Winslow. Believe me, I did it with Winslow. Don't base your possibility of success on an outlier. Genres with far fewer games (4x, simulation, survival, roguelites) have far higher probabilities given Steam shoppers love games with replayability and deep mechanics. 

I just wanted to pass my recent obsession along for others who are super into this niche crap. I gave him a follow on Twitter and plan to check his blog once a week since his articles are almost always insightful yet concise and bite-sized enough to be chewable. Hopefully, in the process, I learn about a few more indies that can eventually make their way to consoles and I can include them in some future reviews on here! Until next time... hey... we've got a banger indie on the docket to review! 

• Like 4

Welp... there's one more post I need to make and I don't really want to post anything too substantial as it's going to get buried in 10 minutes.

How about we reach a compromise? I'm going to post 2 of the Top 5 greatest sequences in cinema history from the 525 films I've watched since 2019.

No Country for Old Men is my 5th favorite movie of All-Time while Shrek 2 is my 7th. I will return with the other 3 clips in the Top 5 when I eventually find them in life. Ta ta!

• Like 2