PSN accounts "could" be closed down after 24 months of inactivity

FlareXV

I saw this on NeoGAF:

17. Closing your Account
You may close your Account by contacting us using the details below. We may close your Account if it has not been used for at least 24 months. In both cases, we will not provide you with a refund of your unused wallet funds and unexpired periods of your subscriptions unless we are required to do so by law. After your Account is closed, you will not be able to access the PSN nor use the Products purchased with that Account.

The link to their Terms of Service: http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_tosua_en.html

Thanks to BerandoOne for the find.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260300

Edited by FlareXV

I'm surprised people are reporting this now. Don't people read the Terms of Service?

I don't know what the former state of the ToS was, but Sony changed them due to a recent Vita-hack. So this passage may have been added.

And let's be honest:

If you have to scroll through 20+ pages of text the chances are high that you just scroll to the very bottom of the text and click the "I accept"-button.

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 2

I knew about this (and the ridiculous rule regarding exploits. It's not my fault a developer didn't test their game right), but don't understand how they measure 'inactivity'. Is simply signing in enough to reset the 24 month timer, do I need to play a game, do I need to add a friend, do I need to add wallet funds, etc. etc.

I don't know what the former state of the ToS was, but Sony changed them due to a recent Vita-hack. So this passage may have been added.

And let's be honest:

If you have to scroll through 20+ pages of text the chances are high that you just scroll to the very bottom of the text and click the "I accept"-button.

I read the former ToS and yes the 2 year rule for accounts was always there. Surprisingly enough I have a friend added on my old account who has been inactive for 2 years and still shows up on my friends list.

I'm surprised people are reporting this now. Don't people read the Terms of Service?

I think its more of a matter about Sony closing the account in such a short amount of time. I still think MS's "5yrs of inactivity, revert the account to default username" would be a better move for Sony. I could care less about them having closing down accounts due to inactivity. 

I read the former ToS and yes the 2 year rule for accounts was always there. Surprisingly enough I have a friend added on my old account who has been inactive for 2 years and still shows up on my friends list.

That's why I said "could" as its not certain. :P

I don't see why this is such a bad thing. Like others have mentioned, if you haven't used your account in 2 whole years, then you probably don't care about it. Sure, it's less than what Xbox Live does, allowing 5 years of inactivity, but does it really matter?  :P The only way I can see this being relevant at all is if you decide to skip out on a generation, but want to come back for the next one. Chances are you don't really care about trophies or anything if you do that anyway. Also your purchases on older console generations won't mean much since Sony like making you pay for everything again anyway.  xD

• Like 1

´Hm im pretty sure it is for Sony just  a " we could delete it ,  but we are not gonna do it until we really have a reason for it"  thing !  

I had peaple on my list with over 2 jears inactivity ... and they all come back !  

I guess like ToS  are most of the time it is just a law safeguard  so they dont get suit about closing accounts .

Unless you're lost in the jungle or doing a stretch of time in prison, two years is quite a while to have an inactive account.

I don't see the problem with it.

Edited by Sofa King

I've started reading the terms of service ever since I woke up as the middle of a Human CentiPad.

Yeah they should be able to close inactive accounts. I hope they'll give a warning first though. And they'll probably wait for at least two and a half, three years before removing an account, just to be on the safe side of the legal argument. I'm guessing they just do a purge ever so often.

I've started reading the terms of service ever since I woke up as the middle of a Human CentiPad.

Yeah they should be able to close inactive accounts. I hope they'll give a warning first though. And they'll probably wait for at least two and a half, three years before removing an account, just to be on the safe side of the legal argument. I'm guessing they just do a purge ever so often.

My brother hasn't been on in over 6 years, my cousin over 5. So if they have done a purge, it was before that or they just got skipped for some reason.

I don't think purges have ever happened on PSN. It's just a "We reserve the right if we want to" thing.