Quality Control

Sir-Syzygy

Basically it boils down to a good balance of quality control vs. keeping an open market. I think that PS1 looking game with the 'tiger' that Jim Sterling looked at is a scary proposition to have on the PSN store as we are used to a fairly decent quality of product on the store. I don't think these kind of games don't have a place on the store altogether however - there is an obvious difference between something like this and something an indie dev have put their heart and soul in, and wouldn't otherwise have access to a bigger audience. It's plain to see that more dreck is making its way to the store but there is also a lot more choice. It'd be great to see more things like Shovel Knight take off and less things like that tiger crap make its way to our consoles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crispy78923 said:

@Juzota@sweetismia You really don't get the point of what I was saying do you? Read what @StrickenBiged said, maybe you'll understand him.

1 minute ago, Crispy78923 said:

I really mean no bad will when I say this but you seriously don't seem to be grasping what I'm saying.

You seem to be saying this quite regularly, if there are quite a few people who aren't grasping what you are saying, maybe it's the way it's being said in the first place which is causing the misunderstanding? This is a discussion based forum, which means that simply stating 'you don't get it' multiple times isn't going to help those people 'get it' any further in the way you want them to. Unless the purpose of the comments is to exclude them from the discourse of the thread, in which case, you are really owning it on that front.

To your actual point though - I agree that the PS Store is lacking quality and it's been on the decline for quite a while. I have noticed though, that sales and deals have increased in frequency. Game development is now more open and accessible as it's ever been and more people are making games than ever before, which means a higher percentage of the trash you mentioned. I'd like Sony to increase their regulation of titles brought into the PS Store, if they can Quality Control what's coming in a little better, it might help prevent some of the lesser quality titles from being included.

• Like 2

@Crispy78923 I took no bad will from your words my friend.  Please, take none from mine.  I believe Sony does quality control before they make any game available on the psn store.  What I think you want is a Sony based rating system of some type.  But they can't do that.   It would be a conflict of interest due to them being able to rate their first party games higher than third party/indie games.  You need a user based ratings system(in the interset of fairness), which they have already.  What they need to do is expand on that to allow extensive user comments/reviews when rating games,  that are readable before purchase. Maybe even integrate reviews and review scores in from reputable video game critics.  I think that would help.  

On 1/25/2017 at 9:48 PM, sweetismia said:

@Crispy78923 I took no bad will from your words my friend.  Please, take none from mine.  I believe Sony does quality control before they make any game available on the psn store.  What I think you want is a Sony based rating system of some type.  But they can't do that.   It would be a conflict of interest due to them being able to rate their first party games higher than third party/indie games.  You need a user based ratings system(in the interset of fairness), which they have already.  What they need to do is expand on that to allow extensive user comments/reviews when rating games,  that are readable before purchase. Maybe even integrate reviews and review scores in from reputable video game critics.  I think that would help.  

You're right about that.

In the direction gaming is headed I find it highly unlikely that quality control for online stores will ever be a thing unless the whole industry were to crash.

Edited by Crispy78923

PS I Love you touched on this on their last podcast.  Personally i am willing to give any game a go

every now and then there is a hidden gem that shows up.

I think the bigger problem on the store is finding it!  Sometimes even when i know what i am looking for it isnt easy to find it!

at the end of the day its subjective

1 hour ago, Crispy78923 said:

Jim Sterling is one of the best game journalists in my opinion.

My apologies but I really have no clue what the Switch or Wii U have to do with this at all.

What do Virtual Console games have to do with it either?

Virtual Console is a part of their online stores. You know when you go on the PSN store on your computer or console or whatever and you can go into the section for PS1 games or PS2, P, 3, etc? Well, Nintendo's basically got the same thing, but they group all emulated console games under the Virtual Console banner. They emulated games available to buy from the NES all the way up to the Wii in their "Virtual Console". Imagine they rebranded the sections on the PSN store with previous gen games as "Virtual Console" and that's basically what you get.

I should clarify my earlier post though, I too (obviously) don't want the PSN store to be littered with crappy mobile ports and half baked crap ala Greenlight, but the thing is, it definitely can be worse, and Nintendo is proof of that. They have nothing. I log into the eShop (the name of their whole storefront) on 3DS and Wii U at least once every couple weeks to see what's new (because I can't look online because Nintendo is really smart) and I'm lucky if I see the odd 2 dollar crappy kids game on their. Sure, I won't buy 95% of them, and that applies to PlayStation as well, but for every shitty one on the PSN for a dollar or two, you get something like Sunflowers or Flying Hamster HD for Vita, both of which I bought for 60 odd cents and both of which are basically just a really polished flash game, BUT, I picked them up with the change I had left in my PSN wallet to kill a few hours, I wasn't expecting much, I didn't get much, but I got a short little fun time with them for piss all money.

Bottom line, some people aren't able to throw a hundred bucks down on every new release game that looks cool, and that's fine, but if it comes down to me being able to spend 5 bucks on a fun little piece of crap game every now and then, or spend a few months playing nothing to save up and buy the one big game, I'll pick a few cheapies any day.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 10:02 PM, StrickenBiged said:

I know right?!

That stupid thing where you have to scroll though and input one character at a time? And even if you take the time to input the game's entire title, it gives you like 10-30 pieces of DLC/Avatars/Themes/Soundtracks for the game rather than the thing you're looking for? Who the hell designed that and why is it still there now? Just give us a floating keyboard and a search function!

Not the mention to obscene amount of lag the store has. Borderline unusable.

Edited by Crispy78923

7 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

I know right?!

That stupid thing where you have to scroll though and input one character at a time? And even if you take the time to input the game's entire title, it gives you like 10-30 pieces of DLC/Avatars/Themes/Soundtracks for the game rather than the thing you're looking for? Who the hell designed that and why is it still there now? Just give us a floating keyboard and a search function!

#BringBackTheOldStore

6 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

#BringBackTheOldStore

Always hated the new store layout when it first released because it took so long to search for anything. It was easier going on my computer to browse then it was on the PS3 and even PS4. 

8 minutes ago, mekktor said:

I don't have an opinion to share but I'll just add that this was also the topic of a recent episode of Colin Was Right.

Yeah, I disagree with Colin on that. I see where he is coming from, but I think the problem could be dealt with more fairly by designing a system which increased the discoverability of the better games, while still being open to developers of all stripes to "have a go" at selling their games up against the big hitters on a level playing field. 

I think Colin's proposals are fair, to a degree, but the democratisation of the industry is a good thing which would be hampered by the introduction of platform gatekeepers. 

5 hours ago, ElBolovo said:

The more the better to me to be honest. I played some mobile games converted to console, like Riptide GP2 that I paid about 1 dollar in a sale, and I'm quite satisfied with this deal. 

I think these games would be free if they could run ads but as this is impossible with the Sony rules, with a fair price, I see not problem with it. You will only need to research your games before buying it, as you always should anyway. 

5 hours ago, totallycrushed said:

I'm not so sure about "the more the better" when 40% of all Steam games were released in 2016 and most of them are garbage.

Amazingly, I agree with both of these posts. Most of the games being released are garbage. However, some garbage appeals to me, the way pork rinds appeal to me. 

I would mention that you should be wary of any purchase of a game on which you cannot find info. 

4 minutes ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

People who don't have a problem with these games will when the games are given out on PS+...

Great non sequitur here. Complaining about the existence of a game for purchase that I can ignore, and complaining about a game that's given to me for "free" on PS+ are completely different.

22 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

<lots of stuff that I agree with, but don't want to quote for space reasons>

Exactly. At the end of the day, it's about what you want. Although, I'm finding it personally hard to like Megatagmension. Because, well, it sucks. xD

I have no problem with either "games that seem like they came from Steam Greenlight or were ported over from a mobile device". I do research on games I may be interested in beforehand and sometimes they're not great (Looking at you Tron!) and sometimes they are. Even if we had a system that considered games you rated highly, and found other players that measured the same games highly then suggested other games *that* player rated highly, (and this brings me to my point) tastes are completely subjective. You might think the suggestion was a horrible title.

Sony's PS store already has two barriers of entry for developers. 1 - Developers fee. 2 - Yes, Sony *does* have a QC dept for gameplay and function but certainly not for completely subjective things like appearance, style, storyline (or lack thereof) or anything else that is in the eye of the beholder. Broken games are absolutely on Sony for letting them in. Shitty games are on the developers for making them, but shouldn't be barred from being available to someone who might like them. I think Real Housewives of Anything is the dumbest show on television but don't complain it should be taken off the air. I'll defend the rights of the show creators and networks to air them until the end, because it's just a show and although everybodies cable subscriptions are subsidizing the show, I can choose not to watch it. 

Charging for games that are free on mobile is a market decision. In case you didn't think about this, because you definitely didn't mention it in the OP, mobile games are overlayed with ADs or have ADs interspersed through the game, so you're paying for it by seeing or clicking on ads. On PS4, there are obvious limitations on ads, so charging money makes sense. You can pick your poison.

The great majority of gamers (especially in this PS4 era it seems) don't seem to care about platform exclusives. They just care about having access to as many options as possible. So while Sony's decision to allow tons more games to get ported in (which is WAY easier on this x86 hardware than it was with cell) allows them to appeal to more people, I think they're okay with gamers of your type who only want games you like in the store being upset. Your games are still there, now they just have little friends to keep them company so they don't get lonely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neputyunu said:

What I want to say is... Play what you want. It's your life. It's your time. It's your money. It's your taste. It's about YOU. Not about someone else.

I think you are missing the point of the thread. It's not asking about whether you enjoy this or that game, it's asking whether the Store should offer games below a certain threshold of quality or not. 

I agree with you - people should play what they want. But that's one of the premises to the argument from which I think it follows that the Store shouldn't decide what gets to be on its platform or not based on someone else's opinion of how high the quality "hurdle" should be. 

1 hour ago, Neputyunu said:

Well, nobody can't say there are lots of trashgames, especially since PS4... Like "My Name Is Mayo".

Actually, I wouldn't say MNiM was a "trash" game. I haven't played it, yet, but from what I've seen on gameplay videos it appears completely functional for what it sets out to do - admittedly, not very much - the artwork is of a passable quality, and the whole thing seems to work. Clicker games might or might not be your thing, but as they go this doesn't appear to be one of the worst ones in the genre. 

This is in contrast to something like Orc Slayer, which re-uses the same art and sound assets ad-nauseam, has terrible hit detection, unresponsive controls, mindless AI, performance issues and gameplay bugs out the wazoo. Judged against what it sets out to be - a wave/horde-mode shooter with a basic story - it fails in very many regards and earns the accolade "trashgame".