Looking for PSN RPGs and Metroidvania games on PS4

Alantor32

Hey, I have some good RPGs from 2015-2016 and I am gonna enjoy 2017's new upcoming RPGs and stuff, but I'm looking for any PSN RPGs and Metroidvania games for the PS4 to scratch my itch for new games. And I only play E to Teen games because of reasons. So anyone recommending any PSN RPGs and Metroidvania games (Already out or upcoming) that are E, E10 and Teen? 

Metroidvania, :hmm: :googles: ......

I learned a new word today! 

Hnm what was that game I played that I enjoyed that was Metroidvania... Hmm well it was ps+ so you probably have it anyway. 

I would second dust an asylum though. I didn't get far because of my backlog, but it had some funny throwbaxk qoutes to other games that I thought was awesome. 

25 minutes ago, locutus442 said:

For Metroidvanias, I'd recommend Axiom Verge and Shadow Complex Remastered.

For psn Rpg's, I'd recommend I Am Setsuna, Child of Light, Wild Arms 3, and Final Fantasy 7.

This is pretty much the right answer.  If I were to pick one out of each I would choose Axiom Verge and I am Setsuna.  Don't get me wrong I love FFVII but chances are OP has played it.  If not then get that one too.

1 minute ago, angelgrievous said:

This is pretty much the right answer.  If I were to pick one out of each I would choose Axiom Verge and I am Setsuna.  Don't get me wrong I love FFVII but chances are OP has played it.  If not then get that one too.

Well, I have played the PS1 version back in the days of PS1 and was a rookie gamer back then. I got the PS4 version to get the trophies for it. But since I am currently addictive to FFXV, it'll be some time before I play it while waiting for the FF7 Remake.

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

Metroidvania, :hmm: :googles: ......

I learned a new word today! 

Hnm what was that game I played that I enjoyed that was Metroidvania... Hmm well it was ps+ so you probably have it anyway. 

I would second dust an asylum though. I didn't get far because of my backlog, but it had some funny throwbaxk qoutes to other games that I thought was awesome. 

Surprised that is the first time you have heard of it. Have seen a few members mention them by that title before. Metroidvania

Just to add very little to the Metroidvania discussion, Axiom Verge. The creators said that it was HEAVILY influenced by metroid.

Now, RPGs that are rated E or T... Well, I think I can help you out a little.

• Rogue Galaxy 
  • Digimon Cyber Sleuth
  • Disgaea 5
  • odin sphere leifthrasir
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered
  • Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remixed (May be confusing, but hey, it's good)
Edited by Beyondthegrave07

• 9 months later...
On 1/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, Shadiochao said:

Here's a list of all the metroidvanias on PS4 that I'm aware of:

Apotheon
Axiom Verge
Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils (JP Store, ENG Language)
Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus

Dust: An Elysian Tail
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
Salt and Sanctuary
Shadow Complex Remastered

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Song of the Deep
Strider
Teslagrad
Xeodrifter

Upcoming:
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Chasm
Heart Forth, Alicia
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
The Iconoclasts
Rabi-Ribi

I'm not sure which ones are rated which, but I don't think many are 16+

I was about to post on the forums asking for some Metroidvania games and found this post first, very helpful.

You listed PS4 games, are there any Metroidvania type games only found on PS3?

Also I am getting some conflicting information, but are there any physical releases of the Shantae games?

My Axiom Verge Collector's Edition is arriving in the mail today ^-^

Also sorry for reviving an old thread, but it was relevant to my interests /puts on sunglasses and lights cig

Edited by TurdFlingingApe

Metroidvania...

I'd recommend Axiom Verge, Guacamelee!, Shadow Complex Remastered, Dust: An Elysian Tale  (as others have all said, but to summarize lol)

If you can look elsewhere but Playstation, Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest on PC (or Xbox One in Ori's case) are two of the best metroidvania's I've ever played.  Highly, highly recommended, moreso than any other game I listed.

For metroidvania, Mystik Belle is very fun. It has a lot of adventure-game inventory management elements and a gorgeous art style. Toki Tori 2 is also really good, its structure is more open than most metroidvanias and is focused mostly on puzzle solving (I played on Wii U though, not PS4).

Not quite metroidvania, but Elliot Quest and Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap are amazing sidescrolling action adventure games with RPG elements and lots of exploration / backtracking ?

2 hours ago, TurdFlingingApe said:

I was about to post on the forums asking for some Metroidvania games and found this post first, very helpful.

You listed PS4 games, are there any Metroidvania type games only found on PS3?

Also I am getting some conflicting information, but are there any physical releases of the Shantae games?

My Axiom Verge Collector's Edition is arriving in the mail today ^-^

Also sorry for reviving an old thread, but it was relevant to my interests /puts on sunglasses and lights cig

That list was a bit outdated, I just added a couple more games.

The PS4 versions of Shantae Pirates' Curse and Risky's Revenge were released physically through LimitedRunGames. Half Genie Hero had a normal physical release on both PS4 and Vita.

On PS3 there's Guacamelee, Strider and Teslagrad from that list above. There's also Knytt Underground and Outland. I think that may be it, though.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

On PS3 there's Guacamelee, Strider, Teslagrad and Xeodrifter from that list above. There's also Knytt Underground and Outland. I think that may be it, though.

I was going to mention Xeodrifter as a fun, quick Metroidvania-style game. But are you certain it's playable on PS3? I know the trophy list says PS4, PS3, Vita, but I'm pretty sure that's an error (this is the NA PS4 version, I believe).

Edit: More discussion here.

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

I was going to mention Xeodrifter as a fun, quick Metroidvania-style game. But are you certain it's playable on PS3? I know the trophy list says PS4, PS3, Vita, but I'm pretty sure that's an error (this is the NA PS4 version, I believe).

Edit: More discussion here.

Oh, no, I just assumed it was playable because of the trophy list.

I'll edit it out

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

That list was a bit outdated, I just added a couple more games.

The PS4 versions of Shantae Pirates' Curse and Risky's Revenge were released physically through LimitedRunGames. Half Genie Hero had a normal physical release on both PS4 and Vita.

On PS3 there's Guacamelee, Strider and Teslagrad from that list above. There's also Knytt Underground and Outland. I think that may be it, though.

Thanks a bunch <3

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Monster Sanctuary is a cute hybridization of a Metroidvania and a monster collecting game. It's a 2D side scrolling platformer where you use the abilities of the monsters you raise to open up new areas of the world instead of finding equipment upgrades. Combat is turn based 3 VS 3 battles where you need to build a team with good synergy to succeed, there's some brutal difficulty spikes with some of the bosses that will punish you severely for lack of strategy but there's team guides online you can use if you get stuck. It's a wholesome and not very long game.