Sony to start implementing sales taxes on PSN games

B4d4ssHunt4r

I just got an email from Sony saying this: 

Hello valued PlayStation customer, 

We are writing to inform you that PlayStation®Store, including all services such as PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, and PlayStation Music, will start collecting tax in your state starting  April 1, 2017. The sales tax charged on each order is determined by your state, county and city tax rates.

For additional information please visit: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PlayStation-Store-Sales-Tax-Collection 

What are your thoughts and opinions about this?

As long as it's the States and it's not implemented on each individual game, just services. I'd be fine with it. Nvm, misread. I only buy flash sale items, so for me, taxes would be like 1$ extra. Yeah its shitty, but only a dollar.

Edited by TigressLion
Misread

Now a PS Plus membership is going to cost a little more extra money. As if 60 dollars isn't already enough for them. Well since it depends on which state  we live in then I guess it won't be all bad.

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ryan32289 said:

I just got an email from Sony saying this: 

Hello valued PlayStation customer, 

We are writing to inform you that PlayStation®Store, including all services such as PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, and PlayStation Music, will start collecting tax in your state starting  April 1, 2017. The sales tax charged on each order is determined by your state, county and city tax rates.

For additional information please visit: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PlayStation-Store-Sales-Tax-Collection 

What are your thoughts and opinions about this?

Hmm, haven't received an email. Maybe it doesn't affect my state?

So how would buying digital psn cards work? so they will start taxing the cards at store like best buy? and when we enter it you only get the card value? and when we buy a game we get taxed again!?

1 minute ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Oh thank god I live in Georgia. Don't have to deal with this.

That was before new president... just wait.

"this fucking shit has no name"

I'm pissed off to the core.

Maybe I'll switch to XBOX ONE sometime in the future.

I'm not saying that just for the taxes.

Edited by RemiXounD

Ya the states got a hold of them just like what Amazon went through a 5-6? years ago(and still going through). 

They may eat the tax and pass it back to the developers or pass it to the consumer(to keep the prices the same). 

But doesn't effect me, mwahaha no digital tax in CT! Yet... :ninja:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I really hope Sony won't implement this in EU. Adding 21% of tax is a pretty huge price increase.

In Europe the tax is already included in the price, does my head in visiting the US and the price at the till is more than the price on the label due to adding tax at the till rather than just include it in the price.

19 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

So how would buying digital psn cards work? so they will start taxing the cards at store like best buy? and when we enter it you only get the card value? and when we buy a game we get taxed again!?

That was before new president... just wait.

Thanks Trump

21 minutes ago, RemiXounD said:

"this fucking shit has no name"

I'm pissed off to the core.

Maybe I'll switch to XBOX ONE sometime in the future.

4 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Wow, I cannot believe Sony is doing this. I guess I am moving on over to the Xbone and Nintendo Switch after all!

There has been sales tax on XBOX digital purchases for a while now (think a couple of years) so switching won't do you any good. Just like the new changes to PSN, it is on a state-by-state basis so some might not be impacted.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Cut that shit out. There's many other things you can thank our Lord Dampnuts about, but more taxes likely won't be more of them. Republicans like to do things like cut down the available tax income pool, increase spending on defense, then wonder why the deficit is skyrocketing and blame it on the opposition. Also, taxes are levied at the behest of Congress, not the President. That's Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution. Go back and retake your high school class on American Government if you need to. Taxing digital goods has been something brewing out in the open for a long time if you've bothered to pay attention.

Seems like someone doesn't get a joke.

As much as I'm not happy about this, I'm pretty sure this also happened on Xbox Live sometime last year so I'm not surprised. 

Edited by ratchetdude231