Is it too late to get a Vita?

AlcoholicDinosaw

Once the PS Vita becomes much easier to Homebrew it'll be worth even more. The best thing about the PSP is the Emulation. The PS Vita is a little too much of a pain right now to effectively do that, in my opinion, but maybe one day that will change.

• Like 1

Wow you people are awesome, so many replies and such positive feedback! Please keep the comments coming I love what you guys have to say! I'm definitely going to be getting one, no doubt about it now, you guys have changed my trophy list forever, if it wasn't for you I would still be in the position of going hmm maybeeeeee I might get it. Plus, given the circumstances of how life is playing out for me, with living somewhere else, and with having limited time access to my PS4 because not living with it, this is definitely convenient! So thank you guys, and please feel free to keep commenting I like to listen to you guys! :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, madbuk said:

I tried remote play when I first got my PS4 and there was a ton of lag and the screen would mess up and be a blur of random colours from time to time (this was with Second Son)

Tried it again for the first time since then yesterday with Sleeping Dogs and I was blown away, it worked flawlessly. If it works that well outside the house... it's a truly amazing feature and puts into question why everyone is treating the Switch as revolutionary, since Sony did that years before Nintendo.

They might have patched it, I've only had my vita for about a year and a half. 

Or the other thing is the ps4 has its own internal wifi where you can remote play(so 2 settings), but that was highly unrecommended because well... It's not a router lol. I did read about people who had used that and it was bad. Then switched and it was smooth. 

Outside of home it will be smooth if you're at a decent wifi spot with decent bandwidth. That can be remedied a bit by lowering the fps and resolution if necessary.  

So really it's end to end. 

Plug ps4 into router, be somewhere that has decent wifi and bandwidth. Done. 

And ya sony did it better imo! Lol I don't want to lug around a tablet. And you don't need the game downloaded on your vita/switch. Besides no fit in pocket(regular sized pockets! Lol) no go. 

I want to upload a video of me playing persona 5 on my vita through remote play. You'd never know it was streaming 

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

i will say the system definitely changed my gaming preference dramatically and became possibly my favorite system ever. and i've played most major systems and highly praised games/classics over the years, except for xbox stuff. lol. many unique and addicting games on this system. its not for everyone, there are a lot of people who don't like it as well from the many bash topics i've seen on gamefaqs from random poster #5836942 saying it has no games or its full of JRPG and indy trash. but honestly most people were expecting another PSP from it. like its own GTA, and a bunch of AAA games. but just didn't work out like that. it did at first, but didn't last for some reason lol. its still got some really great more AAA geared games like killzone mercenary(this is a really surprising shooter for a handheld.), tearaway, gravity rush, and soul sacrifice delta. As well as a bunch of HD collections of AAA games. but what really shines for me is the JRPG/and VN catalog which i cant get enough of. xD either way, going into this system, sounds like there will be something you'll enjoy out of it.

9 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I must have missed the memo where Assassins Creed, Lego, and Resistance became their own genres. 1f60f.png

Each AAA is obviously a genre :awesome: 

Though, Lego may be...?

10 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Memory cards are expensive, but honestly, you don't really need to go higher than a 16GB card if you're getting most of your games physically (which is what you should be doing). You can get the Vita itself pretty cheap these days, so I really don't understand why people get so upset over the memory card prices. When you add the price of the handheld and memory card together, it's a perfectly reasonable price.

If people are mainly going for indies a games from Plus, they actually need big memory card =D

6 hours ago, RJP_X said:

saying it has no games or its full of JRPG

Well, it is correct :awesome::awesome: 

(However you gotta love the paradox he posted. No games x full of JRPG, tehe~ xD)

I chose last year to buy a Vita cuz i've been travelling for some years in Bus and Trains and thought i can add more games to my psn trophy log.... I have bought only 1 game so far (Virtue's Last Reward) but have played over 20 games by now just because they had been added to through ps+ ... I was lucky to get a 16 gb Card with the console together ? and that's enough so i could install 3-4 games, i'm convinient with that...

One thing i really dislike though is that the screen is too dark ?... atm i play Code Realize when the sun is shining because i can't see anything in Stealth Inc. cuz that game has many dark rooms itself... And like mentioned before stretching your fingers once in a while is recommended too ?

I love the Vita and I think it was very much worth it. However I play mostly Japanese games, which seems to be the main factor in terms of enjoying the Vita as most Western gaming companies seem to be focussing on the PS4/ Xbox one instead. However, there is a massive selection of Japanese and anime styles games for the Vita, namely Persona 4 Golden, Disgaea 3 and 4, World of Final Fantasy, FFX/X-2 HD, Gravity Rush, Atelier series, Tales of Hearts and Innocence, visual novels like Psycho Pass and Stein's Gate. Tearaway, Hatsune Miku among others. Most games are generally more niche/ indie. However, you can download PSP games onto the vita as well, but they don't have trophy trophy support so that would be the downside as you mentioned about keeping up with trophy earning.

I don't think it would be the console to go for if you prefer Western action/ shooters, as there's hardly any on the Vita compared to the PS4 and you may not get much out of the console as a consequence from just those. I know the Assassins Creed trilogy and Uncharted are on it, but the PSN stores seem to be dominated by Japanese style games. 

3 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

If people are mainly going for indies a games from Plus, they actually need big memory card =D

I guess it depends on how many games you intend on playing simultaneously. I don't know about you, but I play maybe two or three games at the same time tops. You don't really need your entire PS+ library on the memory card at any given time. Besides, I'm sure a 16GB card could store quite a few indie games on there. As an owner of a 64GB card, it's a little overkill. :P

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I guess it depends on how many games you intend on playing simultaneously. I don't know about you, but I play maybe two or three games at the same time tops. You don't really need your entire PS+ library on the memory card at any given time. Besides, I'm sure a 16GB card could store quite a few indie games on there. As an owner of a 64GB card, it's a little overkill. :P

Ah, i don't understand all this necessity for having like 20 games at once on the Memory card xD

Mine is 8 GB and i currently have 7 Games on it (Coconout Dodge, Crazy Market, Severed, Senran Kagura:SV, Gravity Rush, Hyperdiemnsion Neptunia U & New Little king's Story + Persona 4 as Card and the data bubble for LBP and Soul sacrifice) And i'm not even playing anything besides Severed Sometimes xD

It's definitely NOT too late. However, as others have said, you should determine if a Vita is a good purchase for you. 

5 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

Mine is 8 GB 

I think I have a 16 GB card, and it's just fine. I don't play tons of games at the same time (not really sure how you can, anyway). If I want to download a game, I just do so over a period where I'm playing another game, or where I'm charging up.

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

We are weird in this aspect xD Everyone apparently needs 28 (reference :awesome: Futa = futari = 2, ba = ha = hachi = 8 :awesome:) games at the same time =D

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

We are weird in this aspect xD Everyone apparently needs 28 (reference :awesome: Futa = futari = 2, ba = ha = hachi = 8 :awesome:) games at the same time =D

I think it's a habit of coming from a PC gaming background (at least that's my excuse). How many people have Steam with fewer than 20 games installed? Not many I'd bet. On the other hand, a small memory card would probably force me to go through my backlog methodically instead of having trouble deciding what to play next. On the other other hand, having a lot of installed games allows you to see multiple pages of whatever cool Vita theme you're using. 

There are pros and cons to large memory cards, but I find my 64GB handy since most of my games are digital. I'm not a collector and I'm a sucker for PSN sales. 

Anyway, I definitely recommend a Vita if you do some research and decide that you'll get good use out of it. Even if the Vita stopped releasing new indies/JRPGs/VNs tomorrow, it could still be a worthwhile investment. I know in my case, I never had a PS1 or PS2 (and I haven't played many PS1 games on my PS3) and I didn't have a PSP, so most of the PS1 and PSP libraries became available to me with the Vita. So I have tons of games to play even if I ever finish the Vita titles I'm interested in... which I never will. 

PS4 Remote Play is very useful as others have said. Personally I am very rarely remote with good WiFi availability, but I still find Remote Play useful at home. I also have a Switch, and it's not the same implementation despite similarities. The Switch IS the console so you have no system to connect to and no need for internet connectivity. So it's more useful on a train commute or a flight, but less appealing if you prefer pocket-sized portability. I like the Switch but my Vita isn't going anywhere either. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think it's a habit of coming from a PC gaming background (at least that's my excuse). How many people have Steam with fewer than 20 games installed? Not many I'd bet. On the other hand, a small memory card would probably force me to go through my backlog methodically instead of having trouble deciding what to play next. On the other other hand, having a lot of installed games allows you to see multiple pages of whatever cool Vita theme you're using. 

There are pros and cons to large memory cards, but I find my 64GB handy since most of my games are digital. I'm not a collector and I'm a sucker for PSN sales. 

Plus its a pain to go through the purchase list for old game downloads. Sifting through so much ps4 and ps3 games to find a vita game ugh. Not to mention the download times :facepalm: at least for me. It's too late for me, but everyone else can get the 64gb, save yourselves!

My advice, like most people's here, is....BUY IT!!  There are a ton of games available for it -niche/indie, Japanese action/anime, JRPG as well as some triple A.  You really can't go wrong.  I love the Vita!  Regarding the one drawback many people have mentioned here with The Vita i.e. the memory card, that's really an individual matter.  Some people like playing upwards of 10 games at once and want that many games available to play.  In that case, yeah.  The 32gb or 64gb card will do ya.  Me?  I'm more a one or two game at a time guy.  I like to play one game until I platinum it and then move on the next so 8gb does me just fine.  Again, personal preference.

Edited by Spider-Man916

Ignore what you hear in the press. Get the Vita cheap if you can.

Sure there are ports that are pretty crappy, but there are games worth playing. Severed is one I just did last week and it's a pretty fun little game. Others have suggested Uncharted Golden Abyss and Persona 4 Golden. Considering how good they look on a portable console, that's quite a feat.

It's a shame Sony ignores it entirely now.

14 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Let's not talk about 64GB fails =D

Eh, we've talked about it in the past. I've had mine since February 2015, and I have used my Vita daily since using the card, with daily reads/writes to the card for savegames, and downloading/patching and/or deleting games at least once a week. So it sees pretty heavy usage, and I have not had any issues with the card in 2 straight years. I've seen several other people on here mention having no problems with their 64GB cards either. 

Bad memory cards are nothing new; I have had multiple microSD cards fail, and they're all major brands like SanDisk. Anyway, the internet tends to blow things out of proportion. For example, the Switch tablet warping issue was reported to be widespread, and it turned out to be one person with a warped tablet (there may be more since then, but my point is that one confirmed case led to it being claimed as a system-wide defect). For all we know there have been a few bad Vita memory cards for the other sizes too. 

In any case, if Vita owners really think the 64GB card is defective by design, you don't have to listen to the evidence to the contrary. You can always go with a smaller size and save a good chunk of money in the process. All I know is that I'm happy with my 64GB card and I'm glad it's available. If the cards were cheaper and larger sizes existed, I would buy a 128GB card in a heartbeat. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1