[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

On 2/28/2018 at 4:44 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

Just wanted to post my end of the month stats befor starting KYC.

Platinum trophies: +4

100% completed: -

Completion: +1,69%

Nice % boost you got this month!

On 2/28/2018 at 5:29 PM, Dessane said:

I was definitely done with the grind by the end haha! Yeah im short a star on the hardcore challenge and the other event challenge, both of which have the fallout plat already :) AC Origins fits for both 

Sorry about that, not sure if I spaced out or stuck it somewhere else.  :facepalm:

Should have it fixed now.

21 hours ago, fishy10101 said:

With Day of the Tentacle finished today that makes 4 Plats for the February theme! I don't see myself pulling that off again so I'm glad I got it done.

I'd like to complete all of the challenges before years end so I'll keep at it. ;)

Congrats on getting a fourth done! Got you down for four and a retro game.  :yay:

It can certainly be one of the harder challenges.

Good luck on the rest!

19 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

My final stats for February:

Platinum trophies: +1

100% completed: +1

Completion: -0.28%

I'll see y'all again in April

Thanks, got you updated!

18 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Does Ni No Kuni 2 qualify for hardcore req? If so, I might do that for the game for March, but since it comes out in mid-month, I might not get the chance to plat it before the end of the month.

18 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Not sure for the March theme, but I will probably be downloading Shantae: Half-Genie Hero for the April theme since it looks like the theme is set. It fits the winning theme since Shantae is saving Scuttle Town from her archnemesis. AGAIN. xD

OTHO, does it matter when in the month I have to plat the March theme game? I was thinking of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, so it looks freakin' gorgeous. I don't think it'll meet the Hardcore req, but it's got great art.

PS: I saw the themes for later months and I hope August gets the Farmer Joe theme. It would be a great excuse to work on and plat one of the Harvest Moon games or Stardew Valley, which I thought about playing. :D

It's based on awards, so I'd think that would show up after release? Not really sure, I don't pay much attention to them.

The theme poll does seem to be quite one-sided so far. Understandable, since that seems like the far less restrictive option.  :P

Nope, any time in the month is good. I might go for a walking simulator or two myself.

Some good themes this round; it'll be interesting to see which ones win.

11 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Update: Never got to finish or plat Tales of Berseria, so I'm going to use Rime for my February skip 1Sede020.png

Platinum trophies: +2

100% completed: - (no change)

Completion: +0.41%

I've been playing a lot of Monster Hunter. Hoping to play a bit more this month.

Thanks for the update!

How's Monster Hunter? I've never played them, but the new one looks pretty good.

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I just checked and the only award EGttR won is for its music and performence of the voice actor.

I think hardcore's going to be a bit annoying for this round. Cuts down on the guessing, I suppose?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

I think hardcore's going to be a bit annoying for this round. Cuts down on the guessing, I suppose?

Yeah, not much room for the hardcore requirement this month.

I found a site where you can check all the awards for games, movies and series if anyone is interested: http://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home

Just search for the game and on the game page click on "more" --> "awards" to see all nominees and wins for that title.

2 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Yeah, not much room for the hardcore requirement this month.

I found a site where you can check all the awards for games, movies and series if anyone is interested: http://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home

Just search for the game and on the game page click on "more" --> "awards" to see all nominees and wins for that title.

IMDB seemed to be missing some when I looked yesterday. Definitely helps, but checking wikipedia or award sites might bring up a surprise.  :dunno:

Definitely helps, though.

1 minute ago, SyIaris said:

IMDB seemed to be missing some when I looked yesterday. Definitely helps, but checking wikipedia or award sites might bring up a surprise.  :dunno:

Definitely helps, though.

Sure but there are so many different kinds of awards that it's difficulte to find all.

But it seems that IMDB is more for movie awards with a few gaming awards mixed it.

4 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Sure but there are so many different kinds of awards that it's difficulte to find all.

But it seems that IMDB is more for movie awards with a few gaming awards mixed it.

Definitely.

Makes sense; I didn't even know they had anything beyond voice acting credits for games, and I've used the site before.

2 minutes ago, fishy10101 said:

I've found that Wikipedia articles will list awards for most games. 

Seems to be better, but the smaller indie stuff was pretty hit or miss.

4 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Thanks for the update!

How's Monster Hunter? I've never played them, but the new one looks pretty good.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game. The closest I've gotten is God Eater, and I can see why it's lacking. MH is so immersive, addicting, and fun! I highly recommend it.

Sorry for the late check-in. I didn't finish the Yakuza Kiwami campaign like I hoped I would. It's probably the button-mashy fights but that game really messes with my forearm and I can't play very long... I worry its some kinda carpal tunnel. Ick. Anyway, I guess I have to take a skip or does partial completion count?

Weirdly enough, the games I played this month would have worked for the unselected Feb theme. Go figure.

Edited by XX_FTW

I think I'm missing a challenge rank from last month.  My monthly rank and one of my challenge ranks has been updated, but I'm missing the one for 'Completing a game because of this event, that you would not have played soon otherwise'

Have quoted my post from last month relating :)

On 2/22/2018 at 6:26 PM, Mesopithecus said:

Just finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc which fits this months theme.  I believe it is also eligible for the hardcore requirement.

If possible I'd like to also count it for this challenge too:

"Complete a game because of this event, that you would not have played anytime soon otherwise."

As it would have sat in my backlog for a long time to come if @eigen-spacehadn't mentioned it.  It also became one of my top favorite games, so I'm happy about that and I'm eager to start the second one.

It's not a big deal, but if it can be updated that would be awesome.  I'll try and format the posts better in future so that it's clearer.

Also, this is my stat change as of the end of the month:

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: +9

Completion: +0.67%

Started working on Okami this evening and actually spent most of my time on the fishing minigame :giggle:   I only spend a couple of hours on the game in total, but should be able to devote more time to it tomorrow and knock quite a few trophies out.

• Like 1

Well, I got the platinum for Rime yesterday. Kind of like/hate it; eventually I'll learn to stop blindly trying PS+ games.  :dunno:

Music was beautiful, though.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:48 PM, ExHaseo said:

Glad I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn today. It's won a lot of awards for it's graphics and art.

I can believe it, the trailers looked pretty impressive. Hope you enjoy it!  :D

On 3/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, Edunstar84 said:

I've never played a Monster Hunter game. The closest I've gotten is God Eater, and I can see why it's lacking. MH is so immersive, addicting, and fun! I highly recommend it.

Awesome, glad you're having fun with it! Closest I've played was probably Phantasy Star Online, so I'm guessing there might be a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiight upgrade.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. :)

On 3/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, XX_FTW said:

Sorry for the late check-in. I didn't finish the Yakuza Kiwami campaign like I hoped I would. It's probably the button-mashy fights but that game really messes with my forearm and I can't play very long... I worry its some kinda carpal tunnel. Ick. Anyway, I guess I have to take a skip or does partial completion count?

Weirdly enough, the games I played this month would have worked for the unselected Feb theme. Go figure.

Cleared story/campaign for silver rank is the lowest, I'm afraid.

That's not good... going to get it checked out, or just try to take a break from games that are aggravating it? Either way, hope you feel better.

15 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I think I'm missing a challenge rank from last month.  My monthly rank and one of my challenge ranks has been updated, but I'm missing the one for 'Completing a game because of this event, that you would not have played soon otherwise'

Have quoted my post from last month relating :)

It's not a big deal, but if it can be updated that would be awesome.  I'll try and format the posts better in future so that it's clearer.

Also, this is my stat change as of the end of the month:

Platinum trophies: +9

Completion: +0.67%

Started working on Okami this evening and actually spent most of my time on the fishing minigame :giggle:   I only spend a couple of hours on the game in total, but should be able to devote more time to it tomorrow and knock quite a few trophies out.

Sorry, should be corrected now. Got you updated as well.

Sometimes those minigames are more appealing than the rest of the game - seems like fishing ones sidetrack a lot of people. Enjoy! Plenty of time to keep fishing, too. :P

• Like 2

Just finished up Dear Esther, which fits the hardcore requirement as it won two awards for its visuals:
Independent Games Festival: Excellence in Visual Arts (2012)
TIGA Awards: Best Visual Design (2012)

Really pretty game. Great soundtrack and visuals. The cave level is the best in terms of visuals IMO. It is a rather weird game, though... and sad :( 

Going to try to finish FFXII next, which will count for the minor theme. It was nominated for visual awards, but never won any specifically for visuals/graphics. Just those unworthy Best Game awards :P 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eigen-space said:

Just finished up Dear Esther, which fits the hardcore requirement as it won two awards for its visuals:
Independent Games Festival: Excellence in Visual Arts (2012)
TIGA Awards: Best Visual Design (2012)

Really pretty game. Great soundtrack and visuals. The cave level is the best in terms of visuals IMO. It is a rather weird game, though... and sad :( 

Going to try to finish FFXII next, which will count for the minor theme. It was nominated for visual awards, but never won any specifically for visuals/graphics. Just those unworthy Best Game awards :P 

Nice choice, I remember the caves being stunning. Thanks for listing the specific awards too, very helpful.  :)

Sounds like a good pick - not like hardcore's a requirement anyway! Good luck with the cleanup, looks like you're very close.

Picked up the plat for Rime last night. Overall I really enjoyed it, I used a spoiler free collectible guide which I'm very glad I did because otherwise there is no way I would have got like any of the collectibles. The visuals are beautiful especially the rain in one section looks amazing. Story wise it was very interesting at the beginning and as it progressed through the chapters there was definitely a few "oh that's what this game/level/character is about!" moments. Would definitely recommend the game for this month, puzzles aren't too difficult so I would say  to get the best experience don't use a guide apart from collectibles.

image for the plat: 1Sede020.png

That puts me at 39 plats so for number 40 I'm leaning towards doing Nier Automata

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Good luck with the cleanup, looks like you're very close.

Yeah... I was pretty close. Just got it ?

That's plat #39 for me as well. Maybe @Dessane and I should race to our #40.

FFXII fits both the minor theme as well as other PSNP event as I'm participating in the Final Fantasy Project Platinum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eigen-space said:

Yeah... I was pretty close. Just got it 1f61c.png

That's plat #39 for me as well. Maybe @Dessane and I should race to our #40.

FFXII fits both the minor theme as well as other PSNP event as I'm participating in the Final Fantasy Project Platinum.

I'm sure you'll beat me, knowing me I'll start about 5 games before settling on what i want as #40

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

So, how exactly would you go about classifying "story completion" in a wide open sandbox without a set story?

Reason I ask is because yesterday, I came back into the bubble (group of colonised star systems) in Elite: Dangerous after my pilgrimage to Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the center of our universe. It's definitely the 'story' that I had in mind for my character, and just the pilgrimage itself has cost me at least fifty hours of game time.

I'll never get a platinum for this game because of the multiplayer modes, and even if those weren't there there's still so much grinding for the trophies that it won't happen this month.

Thanks to the KYC event, it's likely that I'll get another chance for a :silver:  this month anyway, but I figured I'd ask for Elite: Dangerous because I like the game so damn much.

And yeah, the game has some amazing art.

6Tm0giFh.jpg

On 2-3-2018 at 4:48 AM, ExHaseo said:

Glad I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn today. It's won a lot of awards for it's graphics and art.

Enjoy! I thought the gameplay was pretty mediocre but the story twists are so good...

Edited by Cool Rick

8 hours ago, Dessane said:

Picked up the plat for Rime last night. Overall I really enjoyed it, I used a spoiler free collectible guide which I'm very glad I did because otherwise there is no way I would have got like any of the collectibles. The visuals are beautiful especially the rain in one section looks amazing. Story wise it was very interesting at the beginning and as it progressed through the chapters there was definitely a few "oh that's what this game/level/character is about!" moments. Would definitely recommend the game for this month, puzzles aren't too difficult so I would say  to get the best experience don't use a guide apart from collectibles.

image for the plat: 1Sede020.png

That puts me at 39 plats so for number 40 I'm leaning towards doing Nier Automata

I'm just finishing up this game today and hoping to platinum it, making it my 27th platinum. Loved playing it, the visuals were amazing and the story-line was so well thought out. The ending had me rethinking the entire game. Unfortunately, the collectible guide I used seemed to leave out the white shade and the 5 strange statues so I have to go back and collect those. I'm not dreading it tho because the game was really enjoyable to play through. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Cleared story/campaign for silver rank is the lowest, I'm afraid.

That's not good... going to get it checked out, or just try to take a break from games that are aggravating it? Either way, hope you feel better.

Yeah, I'll just use a skip then. This is the first game to ever do this to me, so I was trying to play a little at a time until I felt it, but yeah I think I'm just not gonna play Yakuza games. If I start to get it in any other situation, I'll be in the doctor's office so fast. My hands are my livelihood so... can't mess around.

On 3/2/2018 at 0:56 AM, XX_FTW said:

Wow, sorry you're hurting so bad. You really should go get it checked out. It's better just to withdraw in shame than it is to torture yourself and maybe end up in the hospital for reals because the game messed with your body. I remember when Mario Party 1 got Nintendo a huge lawsuit from mothers whose kids ripped their poor hands up because of the damn "rotate the analog stick" minigames. That's why Mario Parties no longer have those damn mini-games. :( I hope you get better soon.

As for me, I have to cop out and try to plat Rime this month for the theme - no HC, sadly. I will try to work on it tonight if possible. Also will probably have to buckle down and do LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 for the other challenge.

Edited by CJ_Mystery

Really late update for February; got knocked down by a cold at the end of the month and just got over it. I did manage to clear through Muramasa Rebirth and two of the four DLCs that it has: A cause to Daikon for, and Fishy Tales of the Nekomata. For last month's theme, I think it fits well:

Spoiler

For the main story, there is Kisuke going after first his own ninja clan, and then the shogun for killing Torahime; the woman he was falling in love with. For Momohime's, there's her going after Yukinojo for following through on his orders to kill her and her family.

For the two DLCs, the main character for each is seeking out revenge. For Daikon, Gonbe is after the lord of his region for imposing overwhelming taxes and destroying villages with those taxes, going for an out and out rebellion. For Nekomata, the revenge is far more obvious. Miike is out for revenge against the people that killed her owners/family.

Platinum trophies: +5

Completion: +0.52%

March Stats:

Journey  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngHard Core Complete a game you started over a year ago

Never Alone/Foxtales  2757.pngMarch Requirement  2757.pngPart of another event  All DLC

Current:

Plats: 3 > 10

100% Games: 5 > 11

Completion: 19.92% > 27.95%

Edited by PermaFox

On 04/03/2018 at 9:20 AM, Cool Rick said:

-snip-

I would go about classifying story completion by saying that when you have completed a long-term goal that you had planned / set out to do and that is also in an open game without a story, would be acceptable. Another example of this would be Stardew Valley. This doesn't have a set story, but you could define your own story in many ways such as, getting married / having children, or (SPOILER FOR STARDEW VALLEY!)

Spoiler

restoring the Community Centre.

So, as you have explained your goal for Elite: Dangerous, I have counted that for this month! So well done on getting a grade for this month! :) That art work for Elite: Dangerous is great by the way!

On 04/03/2018 at 5:29 PM, XX_FTW said:

Yeah, I'll just use a skip then. This is the first game to ever do this to me, so I was trying to play a little at a time until I felt it, but yeah I think I'm just not gonna play Yakuza games. If I start to get it in any other situation, I'll be in the doctor's office so fast. My hands are my livelihood so... can't mess around.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your forearm! I hope you manage to feel / get better soon! Let me know what game you would like to use for your skip and I'll update it for you.

20 hours ago, cerafinn said:

Really late update for February; got knocked down by a cold at the end of the month and just got over it. I did manage to clear through Muramasa Rebirth and two of the four DLCs that it has: A cause to Daikon for, and Fishy Tales of the Nekomata. For last month's theme, I think it fits well:

Reveal hidden contents

For the main story, there is Kisuke going after first his own ninja clan, and then the shogun for killing Torahime; the woman he was falling in love with. For Momohime's, there's her going after Yukinojo for following through on his orders to kill her and her family.

For the two DLCs, the main character for each is seeking out revenge. For Daikon, Gonbe is after the lord of his region for imposing overwhelming taxes and destroying villages with those taxes, going for an out and out rebellion. For Nekomata, the revenge is far more obvious. Miike is out for revenge against the people that killed her owners/family.

Platinum trophies: +5

Completion: +0.52%

Hey cerafinn! I've updated your stats for you! Well done on finishing your game for February and the DLC too.

17 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I don't care if I don't get the Hardcore requirement. Put Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for my March game, it looks freaking gorgeous. :D

Hey CJ! I've updated your stats for you! Congrats on finishing your game for March! Oh, I know what you mean! I took loads of screenshots when I played through it and I got some great themes out of them too! 

How's your progress going in Kingdom Hearts by the way? I'm playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix now and I'm loving it! I've nearly finished the game and I can't wait to change my Keyblade as I need more damage haha!

3 hours ago, PermaFox said:

March Stats:

Journey  2757.pngMarch Requirement 2757.pngHard Core 2757.pngComplete a game you started over a year ago

Never Alone/Foxtales  2757.pngMarch Requirement  2757.pngPart of another event  2757.pngAll DLC

Current:

Plats: 3 > 10

100% Games: 5 > 11

Completion: 19.92% > 27.95%

Hey PermaFox! :) I've updated your stats for you and congrats on finishing those two game for this month! Did you enjoy them? I keep reading reading about people having problems with a trophy in Journey which is kind of putting me off starting it if I'm honest.

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but your blazing though these extra challenges in the event! Keep up the good work! :D 

Update:

So I noticed that an old rule that Falion allowed wasn't put into the main post, so I've gone and added it into the post. It's regarding the use of additional consoles / platforms for this event. This is what the rule is on using other consoles / platforms in the event: 

In addition to PlayStation games, we will also accept games that are completed on another platform that has an Achievement/Trophy system, such as Xbox and Steam. For games that have same Achievement lists as the Trophy ones, then a :platinum: grade will be awarded for completion. However, for games that differ in Achievements to the Trophy lists, then only a :gold: grade will be awarded. When submitting any of these types of games, please include the Achievement list so we can check that the correct grade is awarded and, as well as that, you will also be required to prove that you have finished the game with either a link to a tracking website, your profile or a screenshot of your completion.

An example of this would be my own stats. As you'll see I have my PSN and my Xbox stats in my statistics box. For last month, I have 1000G'd Yooka-Laylee which fits the theme of revenge as Yooka and Laylee have to take out revenge on Capital B, the main bad guy! Here is a link the the Achievement page - https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Yooka-Laylee/achievements 

If anyone else would like to use any additional consoles / platforms in the event that features achievements, then let me know by following the paragraph above!

• Like 3