[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

I have a couple suggestions for November (feel free to re-hash them if there's a better way to implement them):

1 - Around the World - The game Developer is based in a different country than the one you live in - HC: Developer is located on a different continent
We would go by the developer listed on the game's page (most games have this listed), and the country listed on the dev's Wikipedia page
2 - Double Life - The main character in the game keeps secrets from the player or his party members or NPCs -- HC: any character has an actual double life (like a superhero, secret agent, some type of traitor, etc)
3 - Left in the Cold - Characters deal with feelings of abandonment or loneliness, whether it be from a friend/family member dying, someone moving away, or not having friends/ someone they can relate to -- HC: At least one character is an orphan or you visit an orphanage

4 - A Good Way to Kill Time - Game has a mini-game - HC: The mini-game has at least one trophy associated with it

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

Crap! I forgot to update this thread. I almost got the completion for August, but I failed. ?  I had one trophy left in Slime Rancher, but just simply ran out of time. It released so late in the month that I basically just had a week to do it. Maybe if I had prioritized it a little more I could have finished. It was really fun at first and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I ended the month with all but one trophy. I did make an attempt at it on August 31st but I got like 20k out of the 75k vbucks required in Rush Mode. I wasn't even close. ? The game is kind of relaxing to play and doing rush mode kind of took what I was enjoying about the game away. After I missed the monthly madness thing, I haven't really felt like working on that trophy. I don't really like speedruns/timers. I need to clean it up soon or rush mode will just be harder if I start to forget the specifics of the game and where things are. 

For September, I have been working on Bloodborne. I'm currently level 90 (so we can check off that hardcore requirement) and towards the end of the game right now. However, I haven't ventured into the DLC area yet. But since I have 3 weeks left, I am pretty confidant that I will get this one done in time. 

Finished up Spider-Man, which gets me on the board for this month. Fits both hardcore requirements, and it's an excellent game if anyone else is considering it.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:56 AM, Fitzquaid said:

I've only played the first couple of hours, but so far I'm impressed by the quality of the translation and writing - it's a cut above what I expected.  I'll report back when I get a bit further in and hopefully get more time with the battle system as well.

Certainly good news, with how hit or miss the writing can wind up! Hope you enjoy the rest of the game when you get around to it.  :)

On 9/8/2018 at 2:25 PM, Edunstar84 said:

I platted Tales of Berseria. It also fulfills the HCR requirement as it has a level 200 trophy.

1S6b7b1f.png

Nice work! Imagine that was quite a timesink, if they want level 200 in an RPG...

10 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I have a couple suggestions for November (feel free to re-hash them if there's a better way to implement them):

1 - Around the World - The game Developer is based in a different country than the one you live in - HC: Developer is located on a different continent
We would go by the developer listed on the game's page (most games have this listed), and the country listed on the dev's Wikipedia page
2 - Double Life - The main character in the game keeps secrets from the player or his party members or NPCs -- HC: any character has an actual double life (like a superhero, secret agent, some type of traitor, etc)
3 - Left in the Cold - Characters deal with feelings of abandonment or loneliness, whether it be from a friend/family member dying, someone moving away, or not having friends/ someone they can relate to -- HC: At least one character is an orphan or you visit an orphanage

4 - A Good Way to Kill Time - Game has a mini-game - HC: The mini-game has at least one trophy associated with it

Left in the Cold seems like it could be a pretty difficult one to find games for? They all sound interesting, though. Thanks! :yay:

4 hours ago, BigHonkingOne said:

Crap! I forgot to update this thread. I almost got the completion for August, but I failed. ?  I had one trophy left in Slime Rancher, but just simply ran out of time. It released so late in the month that I basically just had a week to do it. Maybe if I had prioritized it a little more I could have finished. It was really fun at first and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I ended the month with all but one trophy. I did make an attempt at it on August 31st but I got like 20k out of the 75k vbucks required in Rush Mode. I wasn't even close. ? The game is kind of relaxing to play and doing rush mode kind of took what I was enjoying about the game away. After I missed the monthly madness thing, I haven't really felt like working on that trophy. I don't really like speedruns/timers. I need to clean it up soon or rush mode will just be harder if I start to forget the specifics of the game and where things are. 

For September, I have been working on Bloodborne. I'm currently level 90 (so we can check off that hardcore requirement) and towards the end of the game right now. However, I haven't ventured into the DLC area yet. But since I have 3 weeks left, I am pretty confidant that I will get this one done in time. 

Hey, it happens. Keep in mind, you don't have to get a platinum to count for the month:

• DDBDyVa.png - Silver: Awarded for finishing the story of a game that fits the theme of the month.
  • 9lZg3hS.png - Gold: Awarded for 100% completing a title without platinum trophy that fit's the theme of the month.
  • Y04dodB.png - Platinum: Awarded for earning the Platinum trophy of a game that fit's the theme of the month.

So you're good for a silver, or @eigen-space mentioned, Final Fantasy sounds like it should fit.

Rush Mode's kind of weird for how casual the rest of the game is. Doesn't help that it was patched around the start of the year to make it harder.  :facepalm:

The DLC counts for a bonus star, but it's entirely optional for the main entry.  :)

5 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Left in the Cold seems like it could be a pretty difficult one to find games for? They all sound interesting, though. Thanks! :yay:

Some examples from games that I've played that fit the HC requirement for that one:

Mary Skelter (Rapunzel), Alice: Madness Returns (lives at an orphanage), The Unfinished Swan (lives at an orphanage), Ni No Kuni II (probably spoilers lol), Asdivine Hearts (two main characters live at an orphanage), Final Fantasy IX (Eiko), Final Fantasy XII (Vaan and Penelo... and many NPCs), Tales of Xillia (Elize)

And those are just ones where some of the characters are 'true orphans' (they aren't adopted or taken care of by a family member/family friend)... wording could be adjusted to make it a little better :) 
And ones that would just fit the regular requirement:
Yomawari: Night Alone, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Child of Light, Danganronpa / 2, Valiant Hearts, Tales of Zestiria, NERO, Final Fantasy XV, Never Alone, Dear Esther, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, Tales of Berseria, Atelier Ayesha, Atelier Lydie & Suelle, Final Fantasy Type-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

Hey, it happens. Keep in mind, you don't have to get a platinum to count for the month:

• DDBDyVa.png - Silver: Awarded for finishing the story of a game that fits the theme of the month.
  • 9lZg3hS.png - Gold: Awarded for 100% completing a title without platinum trophy that fit's the theme of the month.
  • Y04dodB.png - Platinum: Awarded for earning the Platinum trophy of a game that fit's the theme of the month.

So you're good for a silver, or @eigen-space mentioned, Final Fantasy sounds like it should fit.

Rush Mode's kind of weird for how casual the rest of the game is. Doesn't help that it was patched around the start of the year to make it harder.  :facepalm:

The DLC counts for a bonus star, but it's entirely optional for the main entry.  :)

Final Fantasy did have chocobo breeding, so it could fit pretty well and I did complete it in early August. However, I am pretty sure I joined the monthly madness after that, which is the reason I picked something different to play as my monthly game. I'll leave it to your discretion. If its OK to have a game finished anytime in the month of August, then please do use FF. If you feel that it should be a game finished after I joined up, then Slime Rancher. I get a trophy either way and I'm not worried about having a perfect record. I'm just in this event for some fun and I like picking a game to play based on a theme. Otherwise, I just stare at my games for hours deciding what to play and then run out of time to actually play that day.

• Like 1

September goal is done. I completed the platinum on Valhalla Knights 3. Also qualifies for HC as I was level 61 when finished. Needed to get to 60 for a title within the game.  Also finished plats for Lego Marvel's Avengers and Until Dawn but I don't think those qualify.

Now I can just focus on stuff for the Spelling Bee.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I've decided to officially withdraw from the event. I had a lot of fun with the themes and would definitely participate again when I'm not in as big a gaming funk. The event absolutely pushed me to play things I wouldn't have gotten to anytime soon and I loved it. Thanks to all the moderators for making this a great event.

• Like 1

Got Infamous done after more grinding for my last skill than I expected. Fun game, though, and glad to finally have it finished.

One KYC game down, too many to go...

On 9/10/2018 at 1:43 PM, eigen-space said:

Some examples from games that I've played that fit the HC requirement for that one:

Mary Skelter (Rapunzel), Alice: Madness Returns (lives at an orphanage), The Unfinished Swan (lives at an orphanage), Ni No Kuni II (probably spoilers lol), Asdivine Hearts (two main characters live at an orphanage), Final Fantasy IX (Eiko), Final Fantasy XII (Vaan and Penelo... and many NPCs), Tales of Xillia (Elize)

And those are just ones where some of the characters are 'true orphans' (they aren't adopted or taken care of by a family member/family friend)... wording could be adjusted to make it a little better :) 
And ones that would just fit the regular requirement:
Yomawari: Night Alone, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Child of Light, Danganronpa / 2, Valiant Hearts, Tales of Zestiria, NERO, Final Fantasy XV, Never Alone, Dear Esther, Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, Tales of Berseria, Atelier Ayesha, Atelier Lydie & Suelle, Final Fantasy Type-0

Definitely more than came to mind!

On 9/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, BigHonkingOne said:

Final Fantasy did have chocobo breeding, so it could fit pretty well and I did complete it in early August. However, I am pretty sure I joined the monthly madness after that, which is the reason I picked something different to play as my monthly game. I'll leave it to your discretion. If its OK to have a game finished anytime in the month of August, then please do use FF. If you feel that it should be a game finished after I joined up, then Slime Rancher. I get a trophy either way and I'm not worried about having a perfect record. I'm just in this event for some fun and I like picking a game to play based on a theme. Otherwise, I just stare at my games for hours deciding what to play and then run out of time to actually play that day.

Nah, same month as you joined is good enough. This event's pretty relaxed.  :)

Backlogs can certainly get you stuck in that kind of loop...

On 9/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, Kevvik said:

September goal is done. I completed the platinum on Valhalla Knights 3. Also qualifies for HC as I was level 61 when finished. Needed to get to 60 for a title within the game.  Also finished plats for Lego Marvel's Avengers and Until Dawn but I don't think those qualify.

Now I can just focus on stuff for the Spelling Bee.

Nice work!

On 9/11/2018 at 4:15 PM, DragonQuest238 said:

Not sure if I can jump back into this. Maybe I'll wait until 2019 and make completing all of the HCR in the next 12 months my ultimate goal for that year. With a lot of new games coming out in 2019 that I might like(Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest Builders 2), I could probably find some games that fit the categories.

Up to you. This event's certainly easier if you have a decent chunk of games to play, but that doesn't mean you can't join in with a smaller list.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:45 AM, XX_FTW said:

Hi guys, I've decided to officially withdraw from the event. I had a lot of fun with the themes and would definitely participate again when I'm not in as big a gaming funk. The event absolutely pushed me to play things I wouldn't have gotten to anytime soon and I loved it. Thanks to all the moderators for making this a great event.

Sorry to see you go, hope things are going okay otherwise?

Nothing wrong with taking a break from gaming. Glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Got Infamous done after more grinding for my last skill than I expected. Fun game, though, and glad to finally have it finished.

One KYC game down, too many to go...

Awesome!  I know the feeling.  I seem to get some done and it always feels good but I know there are still more that I haven't gotten back to.  Been doing KYC since #3 and still have unfinished games from each one.  In fact, over a third of my unearned trophies are from KYC.  I feel like it would be a huge accomplishment for me if I finally completed even one full set.

Could be a goal for me before the end of the year except that I'm busy putting together a list for the next one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Awesome!  I know the feeling.  I seem to get some done and it always feels good but I know there are still more that I haven't gotten back to.  Been doing KYC since #3 and still have unfinished games from each one.  In fact, over a third of my unearned trophies are from KYC.  I feel like it would be a huge accomplishment for me if I finally completed even one full set.

Could be a goal for me before the end of the year except that I'm busy putting together a list for the next one...

I played 65 games for KYC and have probably like 55-60 unfinished. But those events help with starting some new games at least.

• Like 1

Got the platinum for the new spider-man game, really fun game to play and super easy to follow along with in terms of story and trophies. a must have for any PSA$ owners. Game had skill tree and also was completed for the spelling-bee/ trophophobia

1S4485b4.png

Stats at the start of 2018:

Platinum trophies: 48

100% completed: 21

Completion: 58.07%

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: +1

100% completed: +3

Completion: +3.46%

• Like 1

Finished up L.A. Noire. You have to level up your badge ranks (you get experience by interrogating witness well, finding clues, etc), with one trophy being for getting the maximum rank. Unfortunately it doesn't count for the HC requirement as the max is 20, but it does count for the following:

-Monthly Theme

-Completed all DLC

-Other Event (Beauty vs Beast event... wouldn't normally count games in this event, except this is a special game for the event)

• Like 1

I finally thought about a theme suggestion for November.

Play a game in which you can play another game. HC: Must be a real world game.

Examples: The Witcher 3 (Gwent), Yooka-Laylee (gaming machins), Bully/Canem Canis Edit (gaming machines) HC examples: GTA V (Golf, Tennis), Day of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion),

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Examples: The Witcher 3 (Gwent), Yooka-Laylee (gaming machins), Bully/Canem Canis Edit (gaming machines) HC examples: GTA V (Golf, Tennis), Day of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion),

And let's not forget Goat Simulator (Flappy Goat).

Can't remember the OP password off the top of my head and I've fumbled the one for my manager plenty for one day, so I'll see if I can get the updates in tomorrow. Sorry, guys.  :facepalm:

On 9/14/2018 at 3:50 PM, Kevvik said:

On 9/14/2018 at 6:01 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

I played 65 games for KYC and have probably like 55-60 unfinished. But those events help with starting some new games at least.

Ouch, you two definitely got hit worse than I did. Think my biggest chunk is random multiplayer games.

Definitely good for trying new ones out, though.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:38 PM, Yomako01 said:

Does the agonizingly tedious Fallout Shelter count towards this month's theme. 

You don't level yourself up, but level the occupants of the vault up.

I'd say it counts, yeah.  :)

On 9/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, MarkusT1992 said:

Interesting idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have that in the first post once I can edit it.

50 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Can't remember the OP password off the top of my head and I've fumbled the one for my manager plenty for one day, so I'll see if I can get the updates in tomorrow. Sorry, guys.  :facepalm:

I sent it to you in a message. So long as it didn't change from when I was helping with the event, it should still be correct :)

• Like 1

Here's another possibility for November...

Sequelitis: Play a game which is a follow-up in a series. Reboots qualify as later entries not starters HC: the game must be at least the 5th entry in the series.

Examples: Infamous 2, Witcher 3, Persona 4 Golden 

HC examples: Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Soul Calibur V, Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus

The reboots concept could be massaged as I wasn't sure what the general consensus of the group would be on that.

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 1