Is No Trophies a Turn Off?

Beyondthegrave07

Do you buy games only because they have trophies? I know most games released now have trophies, but I'm talking more about the classics. Do you not buy PS1 and PS2 classics because they don't have trophies? Would you buy more classics if they trophies were installed for these games (which will never happen)? Also, what about your older games with no trophy support. Sell them? keep them? Put off playing them until your bored?

Let's put it this way. I don't buy games that don't have trophies. I have not bought a single game without trophies since I have gotten into trophy collecting. In that case, yes, no trophies is certainly a turn-off! Yeah, I'm silly! :D

Would be nice if they had trophies, then we could play our favorite games until the trophies are finished.

But returning to the question, no I wouldn't buy a game just because of trophies, and my older games of PS2 play on PS2, but PS1 I play on PS3. Good times.

I just recently (a few months back) purchased Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles (both for the second time) because they are amazing games and i stopped caring so much about trophies... and if you haven't played those two games then you have missed out big time.

I mean...

BIG TIME

Trophies are still fun... don't be fooled... but a game is a game and if its fun it shouldn't matter if it has trophies or not...

• Like 4

Heck no, I wouldn't buy 3DS/Dreamcast/Sega Saturn games if I did. Sure, they're nice to have, but they shouldn't ever be a replacement for the enjoyment of a game.

Everyone has different reasons for buying certain games, but they all lead back to "enjoyment", so nothing can replace such a thing, really.

No, but since my PS3 and Vita are my primary gaming systems I guess it is a moot point.

I will say though that when Final Fantasy 6 came to PSN I was tempted to buy it (since it is my favourite game of all time) but I own it twice already (snes and gameboy advance). If it had trophies though I would have rebought it to get the platinum.

No, but since my PS3 and Vita are my primary gaming systems I guess it is a moot point.

I will say though that when Final Fantasy 6 came to PSN I was tempted to buy it (since it is my favourite game of all time) but I own it twice already (snes and gameboy advance). If it had trophies though I would have rebought it to get the platinum.

This exactly. Trophies are not a requirement, but adding trophy support to older games that I already own or have played would increase the odds of me purchasing them again.

• Like 1

In my opinion, no trophies is a turn off for me. Reason being, i consider my collection like a photo album or a record of my gaming history! I could care less if the game is old or not, if devs re-introduce the game please add trophies too it. I could only imagine my entire gaming history recorded since 1986. It would be amazing! Ahh, the dreams i envision lol.

I don't buy games just for trophies. For me, it actually ruins my fun mostly when there are trophy requirements which are ridiculously hard just for bronze trophies like the games I'm playing <_< . I only trophy hunt if I'm really enjoying the game enough and motivated to get them. but now, i only trophy hunt If I'm bored. :lol: Though getting a 100% :platinum: would be cool.

Edited by NightWing127

Nope, I couldn't care less about trophies. My Vectrex, Genesis, NES, SNES etc. don't have trophies and that doesn't stop me from enjoying the games. I play games purely for the enjoyment of the gameplay and trophies are just an added bonus.

Parker

• Like 4

Honestly, no, it's not. Never cared about them, and really never will. Sure, they are fun, and I do enjoy gunning for a challenging platinum [Wipeout HD, I'm looking at you], but they'll never stop me from buying or playing an older game, be it a PS1/2 Classic, or an early PS3 game.

I currently own 2 PS1 classics on my PS3 [umJammer Lammy, Crash Bandicoot 3], 2 PS1 titles in disc form [Armored Core [Have had it for 15 years], Metal Gear Solid [Essential Collection version]], Twisted Metal Black on PS2, plus a hand full of trophy-less games on PS3 that I still play from time to time - Devil May Cry 4, Armored Core 4, Soulcalibur 4 [Jeeze..lotta 4s.], Rock Band, plus PSN games like Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection and Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix that I've had for ages.

The way I've always felt about it, is that if you turn down a game just because it lacks trophies, then you're playing for the wrong reasons. 250px square icons don't make a game any better. Same goes for those who complain about a good game because the trophies are difficult, or too easy, etc.

If the game is good - play it. Period.

• Like 1

Nope, I couldn't care less about trophies. My Vectrex, Genesis, NES, SNES etc. don't have trophies and that doesn't stop me from enjoying the games. I play games purely for the enjoyment of the gameplay and trophies are just an added bonus.

Parker

As much as I love trophies, I kind of wish things could be simple and trophy-less like it used to be. Of course now that we have them and I am addicted to collecting, I never want to see them go! :P

It's a turn off for me. There's way, way more good games out there than I'll ever get around to playing so when people always make that tired old argument of, "if you don't play a good game because it doesn't have trophies you're missing out" doesn't mean anything to me, if I'm not playing that good game it's because I chose to play a different good game that does have trophies.

Still if there's a game I'm legitimately excited to play then I would do so regardless of trophy support. This is rare right now but two examples would be GTA5 and Dragon Age III, sure they will have trophies but I would buy them either way.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. No. Trophies don't and never will dictate whether I purchase a game or not. It's simply the enjoyment of playing the game that I like. That being said, I like trophies because they are a fun little addition if you want to try and get the 100%/ :platinum: for a game. That's it though. They don't make or break a game for me. That would be foolish.

• Like 1

I like trophies since it adds incentive to challenge myself to explore all a game has to offer (higher difficulties, time trials, etc), but they certainly aren't necessary. Lack of trophies is great for when I want to try a series I've ignored. I don't really want a game I try out and hated giving me a low completion percentage, but this only effects those on-the-fence purchases.