Crzy Minus

D-Pad or Analog Stick?

42 posts in this topic

What's your preference in movement controls? Between D-Pad and Analog stick.

Now I know the original Crash only had D-Pad as movement controls so a lot of people will probably go with D-Pad, but now that analog stick has become an option, what works best for you?

I played the original Crash back in the day, but in 2017 I just can't imagine ever going back to D-pad controls regardless of any obvious (which I fail to see) advantages or game. It just feels so off! :D

The analog stick is hands down the best thing that ever happened to PS controllers.

Analogue, the D-Pad can get a bit annoying on the thumb in the end.

both, I find myself using the d-pad a bit more though.

they both have their advantages tbh.

100% analogue! It's just a much better control method.

Definitely analogue. After years of being conditioned with the sticks, I imagine I would fail miserably at 3-d platforming with the d-pad :facepalm:

D-pad for me. Feels more natural personally.

I'll play later today and I'll choose the analog stick, because it's feels more natural to control within a 3D world.

I only use the D-Pad when moves must be immediately responsive, in 2D platforming games for example. But honestly, I haven't played the Crash games for over a decade so I don't remember which control I was the most comfortable with Crash Bandicoot.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

Fuck dpad or joystick,

Square. Or. Circle.

That's the real question.

...And since the remake doesn't let you hit circle, I guess the choice is made for you. I know it had other functions in later games, but in Crash 1, there's no reason to remove it. I know I'm being nitpicky, and it's not a genuine complaint or anything, and if I really cared I could map square to circle, but still, it's just odd.

Also, I find dpad better for some levels believe it or not, but I'll swap mid level without thinking, so I'm like a 75/25 in favor of joystick.

Crash only has 8 directions. D-Pad for immediate reaction and movement accuracy. Digital input means he will go straight to running. Only thing Analog can do differently is walk, but I haven't yet found a situation where it's required.
The game is made with D-Pad in mind, but I can see how some people would be too used to the Analog to bother switching.

I played a lot of Wrath Of Cortex on PS2 when I was a kid so I preffer the analogue stick. 

imo i found the game way more harder to play with the analogue, so i went with d-pad eventho i havent used them for basic movement in years

Having played as a child, I thought I would relish the opportunity to use the analog but every time I come to one of those side perspective levels (great gate) I go right back to d-pad

It's a 3D Platformer, thus analog. Although I do prefer D-Pad on any 2D areas.

I find the controls to be almost ruining the game for me.

The analogue is just a waste of time. Especially on a level like boulders.

Spend half ya time glitching on which way to turn.

I find using the D-Pad on certain levels is so bad i feel like uninstalling the game. 

Shame, because the game in general is very easy.

I think the time trials are gonna be near impossible because of the controls

D-pad for when I need precise movements and on 2D levels. Analog when on long running 3D levels. 

I only used d-pad to walk along the ropes in those two bridge levels~ otherwise analog. The d-pad didn't feel as responsive to me. Felt like I had to really hammer it home just to get full movement. Was easier to use the analog to get what I wanted.

Well, talking about the 2nd game in preference, still analog, however... in the bear levels, I find using the D-Pad to be easier with controlling the bear and collecting the boxes, a bit more precise that way.

D pad for the first crash in some poit, the analog stick has some imput lag.

D Pad feels more natural too me since I played Crash with the D-Pad back in the days. Guess I have to trie the analog stick some time.

D,Pad of course. Feels more natural and helps a lot with precise jumps.

D pad has more precision on Crash 1. Because originally it was D pad only, so the introduction of joystick controls for the remaster are not precise enough.

Levels such as "Road to Nowhere" are impossible with joystick.

I used the D-Pad for almost my entire playthrough. It just felt more "right" to me I suppose. I'm sure that using the analog stick is much more preferable in some sections, though.