Pc is better than console?...no. ?

ilikebig

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

The games are made to fit the console, not the reverse.

PC gamers might argue that, with this in mind, consoles are to blame for games getting "held back".  Then you look at their list of notable exclusives (games without the constraints of console hardware) and see their most popular games are MMO's from over a decade ago (World of Warcraft), low impact e-sport titles and older shooters on older engines (Rocket League, CS:GO), and low impact free MOBA's (DOTA2, League Of Legends) and lower impact strategy games (Civ). xD  Hanging their hats on the Crysis days still I guess.

I'll care more about beefy PC specs when they produce something other than a considerably more expensive, marginally better (debatable) version of the exact same console experience.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 9:28 AM, Dreakon13 said:

PC gamers might argue that, with this in mind, consoles are to blame for games getting "held back".  Then you look at their list of notable exclusives (games without the constraints of console hardware) and see their most popular games are MMO's from over a decade ago (World of Warcraft), low impact e-sport titles and older shooters on older engines (Rocket League, CS:GO), and low impact free MOBA's (DOTA2, League Of Legends) and lower impact strategy games (Civ). xD  Hanging their hats on the Crysis days still I guess.

I'll care more about beefy PC specs when they produce something other than a considerably more expensive, marginally better (debatable) version of the exact same console experience.

World of Warcraft is a dying MMO. You're required to pay a monthly fee of $15 still and unless you happen to be a 10 year veteran of the game, you don't know what the hell is going on. Plus with it's terrible community and Blizzard's tendency to shove in more updates that "ruin" character builds and so forth, it's not really a game to spend your money on. Playstation Plus FAR exceeds what is offered on World of Warcraft, and with it being a 13 year old game, it doesn't look all that great anymore.

Runescape is sort of in the same boat. Years before I cared about trophy hunting and even achievement hunting I loved Runescape. Poured in at least 8000 hours or so on that game, but from what I seen of it now it's utter crap. I guess people can argue that MMOs are a way to keep going, but in my personal opinion you're likely going to miss out on a lot of great games if you put all your resources in MOBAs or MMOs, because they are games that never end. Unless the company goes bankrupt or the servers are shut.

Civilization is definitely a series that will always be superior on the PC. It's pure strategy, but given the commands you're simply not going to try to put them all on the console, because there are only so many buttons a controller can have. So I guess that's one strong suit of the PC, being able to issue out a hundred commands using the keyboard and mouse. I haven't heard any Civ game on the console to be any good, so it's probably best it sticks with the PC.

Doesn't matter any which way what platform people play Rocket League on. CS GO is basically Half Life and Counter Strike for a newer audience. I'm surprised it's lasted this long, considering Half Life 2 came out in 2004 and we have yet to see a sequel coming out.

Crysis was notable because it was one of the first games that required more than what most PCs came out at the time.

For all that PC gamers boast about, it's not as great as they make it out to be.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Civilization is definitely a series that will always be superior on the PC. It's pure strategy, but given the commands you're simply not going to try to put them all on the console, because there are only so many buttons a controller can have. So I guess that's one strong suit of the PC, being able to issue out a hundred commands using the keyboard and mouse. I haven't heard any Civ game on the console to be any good, so it's probably best it sticks with the PC.

The Sims too. That's probably the main series I prefer to play on PC. Or, like, Skyrim with mods...

But PC is severely lacking in turn-based/strategy RPGs, which are some of my favorites.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

The Sims too. That's probably the main series I prefer to play on PC. Or, like, Skyrim with mods...

But PC is severely lacking in turn-based/strategy RPGs, which are some of my favorites.

The Sims was great before EA fucked it all up. I will never forgive what EA did to Maxis. Such an innovative company when it came to city building games, but the almighty dollar took control and Maxis was being used as a scapegoat.

For anyone old enough to remember Will Wright's work, the new stuff in the newer SimCity games is absolutely dreadful in comparison. Stopped caring about the franchise after SimCity 4.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

World of Warcraft is a dying MMO. You're required to pay a monthly fee of $15 still and unless you happen to be a 10 year veteran of the game, you don't know what the hell is going on. Plus with it's terrible community and Blizzard's tendency to shove in more updates that "ruin" character builds and so forth, it's not really a game to spend your money on. Playstation Plus FAR exceeds what is offered on World of Warcraft, and with it being a 13 year old game, it doesn't look all that great anymore.

Runescape is sort of in the same boat. Years before I cared about trophy hunting and even achievement hunting I loved Runescape. Poured in at least 8000 hours or so on that game, but from what I seen of it now it's utter crap. I guess people can argue that MMOs are a way to keep going, but in my personal opinion you're likely going to miss out on a lot of great games if you put all your resources in MOBAs or MMOs, because they are games that never end. Unless the company goes bankrupt or the servers are shut.

Doesn't matter any which way what platform people play Rocket League on. CS GO is basically Half Life and Counter Strike for a newer audience. I'm surprised it's lasted this long, considering Half Life 2 came out in 2004 and we have yet to see a sequel coming out.

Crysis was notable because it was one of the first games that required more than what most PCs came out at the time.

For all that PC gamers boast about, it's not as great as they make it out to be.

Right, that's what I mean.  For all the money that gets dropped into top of the line chips and cards and substantial hardware upgrades, the games that use it most are the console ports.  Which, if it were true that limited console hardware was indeed "holding back" the "evolution" of games and technology, the vast majority of PC exclusives worth playing wouldn't be shit that a 10 year old laptop can run.

And it's certainly questionable if those console ports are even well made/optimized enough to utilize the hardware enough to warrant the price.  But I suppose that's another discussion.

Yet the PC elite have the nerve to swing their dicks around? xD  Bitch, please.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMO, there's room for both PC & console thanks to the exclusive games.  Best of both worlds for me. 

In some cases of a game that's on both, I might double dip. I bought both versions of Senko no Ronde 2, but I've given more time to the PS4 version.  Having the PS4 hooked to a 43" TV helps there I guess.  Crimzon Clover on PC is good, and I'd seriously think about rebuying it for PS4 if it came out.

So, after reading all of this, is the PC better than the console?  I ask as I moved to the console because I couldn't keep up with the continual upgrading of the graphics card, more memory etc etc.

I see gameplay that looks really crisp and know it is probably someone playing on a PC, so that kinda depresses me.

My problem is I've gotten used to a controller and don't know if I feel like the whole keyboarding trick, but guess you can always add a controller to a PC.

I am jealous of the addons that people get for the PC.

So, is there really a difference?

To me it was always more interesting to see what developers could do with limited hardware.

If you had a mediocre PC in 2001 you had mediocre looking games in 2001.

But if you had a PS2, you had fucking Metal Gear Solid 2! 

There's no arguing with that.

Insert Horizon: Zero Dawn for a present-day reference is you wanna'

Edited by Joker

2 minutes ago, Joker said:

To me it was always more interesting to see what developers could do with limited hardware.

If you had a mediocre PC in 2001 you had mediocre looking games in 2001.

But if you had a PS2, you had fucking Metal Gear Solid 2! 

There's no arguing with that.

Insert Horizon: Zero Dawn for a present-day reference is you wanna'

If you had a PS2, then you had GRAN TURISMO A-SPEC   ?

• Like 1

On 07/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, BlackSquirrell1 said:

So, is there really a difference?

Let's face it PC is better, is what people say when they are stuck in an arguement, and anytime people are discussing anything someone will pipe in with that as though its an instant win button. Its a douchey comment. These are the most common comments from PC users:

• It's better on PC
  • If you cant afford a good PC your priorities are wrong, why is gaming even a hobby or you should put your PC first
  • PC is held back by console gamers (ignoring the fact its held back by people with lower spec PCs)
  • Mods (result in devs becoming reliant on gamers fixing their problems)
  • Frame rate (ignoring the fact that some games are out of the box locked at 30fps on PC something that apparently gives you eye cancer)

Ultimately PC gaming is just a bunch of people trying to find a new way to complain and act like they are smarter because they have more disposable income to buy better stuff. Pretty sure that makes them entitled assholes, obviously if they keep their mouth shut then they are cool. But coming to console forums to shove their pc in peoples faces is being an asshole.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Superbuu3 said:

Ultimately PC gaming is just a bunch of people trying to find a new way to complain and act like they are smarter because they have more disposable to buy better stuff. Pretty sure that makes them entitled assholes, obviously if they keep their mouth shut then they are cool. But coming to console forums to shove their pc in peoples faces is being an asshole.

This.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:45 AM, Superbuu3 said:

Let's face it PC is better, is what people say when they are stuck in an arguement, and anytime people are discussing anything someone will pipe in with that as though its an instant win button. Its a douchey comment. These are the most common comments from PC users:

• It's better on PC
  • If you cant afford a good PC your priorities are wrong, why is gaming even a hobby or you should put your PC first
  • PC is held back by console gamers (ignoring the fact its held back by people with lower spec PCs)s become on gamers fixing their problems the)
  • Frame rate (ignoring the fact that some games are out of the box locked at 30fps on PC something that apparently gives you eye cancer)

Ultimately PC gaming is just a bunch of people trying to find a new way to complain and act like they are smarter because they have more disposable income to buy better stuff. Pretty sure that makes them entitled assholes, obviously if they keep their mouth shut then they are cool. But coming to console forums to shove their pc in peoples faces is being an asshole.

And ya know...it's always been this way. As a middle-schooler, people with PCs would talk about how much better they were than my own NES console. As an undergrad, PC folks would point to turds like The 7th Guest as proof positive of the awesome power and grandeur of PCs.

It's not so much that I care that consoles are better/worse. I don't. It's that the (annoying part of the) PC crowd enters my arenas to "remind" me of how much better their system is.

So yeah - you're spot-on with the annoying aspects of the crowd.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, BlackSquirrell1 said:

This.

2 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

And ya know...it's always been this way. As a middle-schooler, people with PCs would talk about how much better they were than my own NES console. As an undergrad, PC folks would point to turds like The 7th Guest as proof positive of the awesome power and grandeur of PCs.

It's not so much that I care that consoles are better/worse. I don't. It's that the (annoying part of the) PC crowd enters my arenas to "remind" me of how much better their system is.

I had a horrendouus fomatting error in the above, but I changed that now I was also going to comment on the PC is why devs are used to people fixing their games for them which is why lazy companies release a clusterfuck of errors in there games. Prior to PS3 I had never heard of games having errors that corrupted wiped your saves, but even big budget games like Mass Effect 2 had errors like that which is horrendous.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

It never really got better, pc gamers always talked down on console gamers, and console gamers argued with each other over which one was superior 

To be fair I had problems with both systems.

On the PS4 I had 15 game crashes in the last 6 months that and problems with 4k with my PS4 Pro.

On the other side I have my PC that has over 15 problems last 6 months incl (BSOD, audio, slow loading stuff).

Yes, PC can cost expensive. Cost me about 1400,- euros, now a PC isn't just for gaming so if your just looking to game console might be better for you.

For online gaming well you do need to pay 60 bucks a year for Playstation Plus. On PC you don't have to also you don't have to worry about the network being down.

The community well it depends on what forum and what game you are playing. But to be honest yes the Steam forums are so damn toxic.

But my main reason (well besides mouse and keyboard just feels more responsive) why I prefer the PC over is that it is an open system. Yes, we still have Windows by Micro$hit and would be great if a new OS would be announced that could rival Windows.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:26 PM, Spaz said:

World of Warcraft is far, far from a dying MMO. Subscription count is not like it was in Wrath days, but it's still a powerhouse of income, with no sign of it dying anytime soon. You can log in anytime and find extraordinarily crowded servers. Tons of them. I quit for a long time and started back up, casually, in Legion. I'll play for a few months on and off, then unsubscribe again until the new content. It's definitely not hard to get back into after a long absence either. They've learned a lot from Warlords of Draenor, and Legion is a massive step in the right direction. The new expansion looks great too!

PC is, technically, a better platform with tons of potential as opposed to a console. However, subjectively it's not. It's honestly no different than choosing between a truck with a 6.4L HEMI V8 Gasoline versus a truck with a 6.7L i6 Cummins Diesel. Both are great engines, but the Diesel is superior in every way when it comes to power. The question is whether or not this extra power is necessary, or if you'll even use it.

Consoles:

• Plug and Play. Things just work without worrying about configurations.
  • Lots of friends that are already part of PSN.
  • Trophies.
  • Exclusive games. This is a big deal and one of the reasons why I prefer consoles.
  • A lot cheaper for a lot longer.
  • Easy to transport.

PC:

• Much better performance. 4k+ high frame rate. It really makes a difference for certain games and is just cool to see. Not a necessity, but it's a plus.
  • Steam sales are MUCH better than PSN sales, honestly.
  • Flexibility of open source.
  • Modding/aftermarket support. User-made patches that solve problems if developers have already said "fuck it". (Bethesda, being the queen of this behavior)
  • Lots of cool indie games.
  • Much better VR support.
  • Free online/private servers/etc.
  • Massive, massive amount of hardware and software support/knowledge on forums if you run into issues. Running into issues on a console is often like banging your head into a wall. Issues on PC can almost always be easily resolved, or require minimal repairs with thousands of parts that all fit.
  • Piracy! You can actually pirate a game to try it, then buy it if you like it. I know, I know, it's bad. I admit: it is. I'll just be honest and say that I hate forking over $60 on a game that doesn't allow me to try it first (like a demo or whatever), unless it's an existing IP I know I'll like. No Man Sky burned me like this, and others have as well. If I like the game, I delete it and buy it immediately. If I dislike it, I delete it as well. Either way, I don't continue playing it because I don't condone that. I do condone test driving new cars, however. Sue me!

There are also some myths about PC gaming. You don't have to sit at your desk. Either stream lower quality content to a TV, or just plug in HDMI to your TV. Done. Use a PS4/Xbox One controller and you won't even know you're playing on PC.

It's not that expensive either - just a little more so. $800-1000 can get you a very nice PC that'll last for years. At most you'll have to add roughly $400 for a nice sale on a new video card after about 4-5 years, but that's it. It can become a LOT more expensive if you choose, but that's optional. People claiming you need thousands of dollars for PC gaming are ignorant on pricing.

Drivers/compatibility is almost a non-issue these days. You update your PS4 about as much as you update drivers, and it often happens automatically anyway. Buy a quality nVidia product and never look back. Windows updates at night, and Windows 10 is fantastic. PC gaming also simply works these days, unless you have an obscure pre-built Best Buy dumpster special.

Both options are great! It just depends on your needs.

Edited by Paige-ID
Format
  • Like 2

On 10-11-2017 at 0:14 AM, Paige-ID said:

World of Warcraft is far, far from a dying MMO. Subscription count is not like it was in Wrath days, but it's still a powerhouse of income, with no sign of it dying anytime soon. You can log in anytime and find extraordinarily crowded servers. Tons of them. I quit for a long time and started back up, casually, in Legion. I'll play for a few months on and off, then unsubscribe again until the new content. It's definitely not hard to get back into after a long absence either. They've learned a lot from Warlords of Draenor, and Legion is a massive step in the right direction. The new expansion looks great too!

PC is, technically, a better platform with tons of potential as opposed to a console. However, subjectively it's not. It's honestly no different than choosing between a truck with a 6.4L HEMI V8 Gasoline versus a truck with a 6.7L i6 Cummins Diesel. Both are great engines, but the Diesel is superior in every way when it comes to power. The question is whether or not this extra power is necessary, or if you'll even use it.

Consoles:

• Plug and Play. Things just work without worrying about configurations.
  • Lots of friends that are already part of PSN.
  • Trophies.
  • Exclusive games. This is a big deal and one of the reasons why I prefer consoles.
  • A lot cheaper for a lot longer.
  • Easy to transport.

PC:

• Much better performance. 4k+ high frame rate. It really makes a difference for certain games and is just cool to see. Not a necessity, but it's a plus.
  • Steam sales are MUCH better than PSN sales, honestly.
  • Flexibility of open source.
  • Modding/aftermarket support. User-made patches that solve problems if developers have already said "fuck it". (Bethesda, being the queen of this behavior)
  • Lots of cool indie games.
  • Much better VR support.
  • Free online/private servers/etc.
  • Massive, massive amount of hardware and software support/knowledge on forums if you run into issues. Running into issues on a console is often like banging your head into a wall. Issues on PC can almost always be easily resolved, or require minimal repairs with thousands of parts that all fit.
  • Piracy! You can actually pirate a game to try it, then buy it if you like it. I know, I know, it's bad. I admit: it is. I'll just be honest and say that I hate forking over $60 on a game that doesn't allow me to try it first (like a demo or whatever), unless it's an existing IP I know I'll like. No Man Sky burned me like this, and others have as well. If I like the game, I delete it and buy it immediately. If I dislike it, I delete it as well. Either way, I don't continue playing it because I don't condone that. I do condone test driving new cars, however. Sue me!

There are also some myths about PC gaming. You don't have to sit at your desk. Either stream lower quality content to a TV, or just plug in HDMI to your TV. Done. Use a PS4/Xbox One controller and you won't even know you're playing on PC.

It's not that expensive either - just a little more so. $800-1000 can get you a very nice PC that'll last for years. At most you'll have to add roughly $400 for a nice sale on a new video card after about 4-5 years, but that's it. It can become a LOT more expensive if you choose, but that's optional. People claiming you need thousands of dollars for PC gaming are ignorant on pricing.

Drivers/compatibility is almost a non-issue these days. You update your PS4 about as much as you update drivers, and it often happens automatically anyway. Buy a quality nVidia product and never look back. Windows updates at night, and Windows 10 is fantastic. PC gaming also simply works these days, unless you have an obscure pre-built Best Buy dumpster special.

Both options are great! It just depends on your needs.

Don't forget backwards compatibility. With a little fiddling (Downloading DosBox) I can still play DOS games on my new PC rig.

Plus you can also download a PS2 emulator but yeah part of it is illegal.

1 hour ago, Doomsdayman said:

Don't forget backwards compatibility. With a little fiddling (Downloading DosBox) I can still play DOS games on my new PC rig.

Plus you can also download a PS2 emulator but yeah part of it is illegal.

Fiddling is actually a very accurate description. When I think back to the 90s/early 2000s, the PC was just fun. It felt like a learning experience trying to get things to work, which made success feel really rewarding. It was more than just a gaming hobby. It became an IT hobby. I spent roughly 5 days trying to make a CD burner work in 1998 on Windows 95. Today that's just unthinkable.

Also, you can do a lot with a PC. The gaming aspect of it actually doesn't cost any more than a console. You most likely want a computer anyway for day-to-day stuff, which will run you roughly $600. Add about $500 to that and your PC will be able to play just about all games.

On 11/9/2017 at 6:14 PM, Paige-ID said:

I think you're right as rain about all of that post, especially that both options are great depending on your needs.

I just want to clarify that this quote is oversimplifying it a bit.  As a former PC gamer that desperately has tried to get my desktop PC and laptop to work on various HDTV's over the years... compatibility is highly dependent on your setup and on a game by game basis.  Some games I couldn't get the sound to feed correctly unless I had it in window mode with third party software to simulate fullscreen (RiME).  Other games the video wouldn't feed correctly or would stretch too large or too shrink too small (despite my desktop sizing flush with the screen)... or didn't have the proper fullscreen/resolution settings to fix it (Axiom Verge).  I've had two Xbox One wireless adapters and both died on me (the Xbox 360 Windows adapter was much, much higher quality).  Without an HDTV with the proper refresh rates (which means a better television which means more expensive) and/or third party software to cap games at certain framerates, you may find abnormal screen tearing vs a proper PC monitor (Dying Light).  Just to name a few hangups I've had and the games I've personally associated with them.

Most or all of which are never problems on a console... since they're designed to work and fit perfectly every time, for every game, with just about any TV with an HDMI port.

9 minutes ago, itsFIGJAM said:

Most pointless thread here. 

The irony.

Edited by Dreakon13