My psn account has been stolen

wolverine123

On 9/2/2017 at 1:24 AM, Valyrious said:

Not to mention every person that mentions they were hacked... didn't have two factor security activated.

I mean, people will call me an asshole if I say that's stupid... but you know, it kind of is...

Notice how there's no horror stories involving people with two factor activated? Because it doesn't happen unless said hacker has physical access to your cell phone.

If I recall correctly, the 2-step verification was only introduced to Sony's PSN service quite recently and it's not stupid at all to get hacked. 2-step verification is not as foolproof as you think because it can be bypassed. No physical access to phone required either. 

@wolverine123 Great to hear you got your account back! Sorry to hear you were one of the unlucky victims of account hijacking.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

If I recall correctly, the 2-step verification was only introduced to Sony's PSN service quite recently and it's not stupid at all to get hacked. 2-step verification is not as foolproof as you think because it can be bypassed. No physical access to phone required either. 

@wolverine123 Great to hear you got your account back! Sorry to hear you were one of the unlucky victims of account hijacking.

2 step was introduced in August of 2016, so there's really no excuse to not have it by now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

2 step was introduced in August of 2016, so there's really no excuse to not have it by now

There are lots of reasons why someone would not have it. Sony hasn't really been active in informing their customers about the feature and someone might not know about it. The average console user probably does not go out of their way to read news about their console somewhere on the internet. Then there's the confusion with Vita not supporting it, making it seem like you can't use the feature if you don't own either a PS3 or PS4. Some people might not even have a device where they can receive SMS messages. I don't know if Sony offers verification codes via email or by an automated phone call if SMS is not an option.

Pro tip:

Use a password manager and change your password every 3 months

I'm using 1password:

https://1password.com/

1Password is by far (imo) the nicest and best way to manage passwords

All my passwords are like: FPvwULB%gs>#{JyeMk4%J6,M{ ?

Its syncs with dropbox. And i also have the phone app. So I always have my passwords with me

You only need to remember 1 password to unlock all of your other passwords. 

3 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

There are lots of reasons why someone would not have it. Sony hasn't really been active in informing their customers about the feature and someone might not know about it. The average console user probably does not go out of their way to read news about their console somewhere on the internet. Then there's the confusion with Vita not supporting it, making it seem like you can't use the feature if you don't own either a PS3 or PS4. Some people might not even have a device where they can receive SMS messages. I don't know if Sony offers verification codes via email or by an automated phone call if SMS is not an option.

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but 2 step covers the vita too, I had to verify a vita recently that I factory reset. Also nearly every gaming outlet covered the news about 2 step going live, even non-gaming sites covered it as well

edit again: free sms apps exist, all you need is a device that can download apps

Final edit: if they can't even afford a smart device to use for verification, they shouldn't be gaming either as it's an even more expensive hobby. 

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

No it's not. The photo can be leaked from email or if you send it via snail mail the letter could be stolen. Also you never know what the recipient does with your personal information and what the company policy is when destroying said info afterwards.

You worry too much. As I said, I have done it before and my identity has not been stolen.

1 hour ago, Babsimabuse said:

Sorry, that´s ...and perhaps somebody does´nt want to buy a smartphone ONLY for that verification system

Never once did I say a smartphone. With free sns apps that you can use on tablets, mp3 players, even smart appliances, you have so many options. If you don't want to put money in to protect your investments, you should find a different hobby and not make excuses. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but 2 step covers the vita too, I had to verify a vita recently that I factory reset. Also nearly every gaming outlet covered the news about 2 step going live, even non-gaming sites covered it as well

edit again: free sms apps exist, all you need is a device that can download apps

Final edit: if they can't even afford a smart device to use for verification, they shouldn't be gaming either as it's an even more expensive hobby. 

PlayStation official site's help section states quite clearly that you can't set up 2-step verification on PS3, PS Vita, PS TV, PSP or Xperia systems. PS4 or web browser is required and there's no indication what that means for someone who owns only a Vita for example. It's not exactly clear how a consumer could utilize the feature on the mentioned systems. Don't know about the documentation in other regions' help sections but the Finnish one doesn't offer much information. 

I wouldn't have a smartphone if my employer didn't provide me with one because I have no need for one in my personal life. While SMSs can be received on regular mobile phones, believe it or not, not everyone owns one even these days and is quite happy with a land line telephone. Most likely it's not a matter of affording something or not but rather one's choices relating to lifestyle or values. Or someone's preference of keeping his/her privacy and not being forced to replace a perfectly working device every few years when manufacturers drop support and stop providing security patches for the OS.

1 minute ago, Eyjabria said:

The funny thing is that you wouldn't know it. You just have to pray you're one of the smaller fishes in the school who don't get eaten.

You would find out eventually. Regardless, it's been over 3 years and nothing drastic has happened.

18 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

PlayStation official site's help section states quite clearly that you can't set up 2-step verification on PS3, PS Vita, PS TV, PSP or Xperia systems. PS4 or web browser is required and there's no indication what that means for someone who owns only a Vita for example. It's not exactly clear how a consumer could utilize the feature on the mentioned systems. Don't know about the documentation in other regions' help sections but the Finnish one doesn't offer much information. 

I wouldn't have a smartphone if my employer didn't provide me with one because I have no need for one in my personal life. While SMSs can be received on regular mobile phones, believe it or not, not everyone owns one even these days and is quite happy with a land line telephone. Most likely it's not a matter of affording something or not but rather one's choices relating to lifestyle or values. Or someone's preference of keeping his/her privacy and not being forced to replace a perfectly working device every few years when manufacturers drop support and stop providing security patches for the OS.

Maybe 2 step isn't available in your country on those platforms? I know for a fact that 2 step covers PS3, Vita, pstv, the mobile app, and PlayStation Vue app on Amazon fire stick. 

As for a PS4 web browser being required is bunk because I set it up on Sony's site and not on the PS4.

• Like 1

I got an e-mail a few days ago about someone trying to log in with my PSN account, and it was asking for the verification code from the 2-step authentication.

Changed my password now, but obviously someone managed to get my password somehow. The only reason I didn't lose my account was that 2-step authentication so as others have said make sure you enable it, it could save you alot of hassle!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

If he or she valued their privacy, they wouldn't game on a platform that has a history of people's private information being stolen. 

Also please stop spreading misinformation, it took me 5 seconds to load this up in the vita browser

http://i.imgur.com/CtD8ZcA.jpg

edit: added image that shows it can be done on the vita

http://i.imgur.com/PnQBooF.jpg

Edited by SnowxSakura
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 7:30 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

You just gave them your email. Good job!

Might be a surprise to you, but there is a huge chance they already have your email in their databases. Troy Hunt is a well-known security expert, who obtains databases of leaked personal information, credentials, etc, and notifies people affected (you know, the stuff that the companies affected fail to do most of the time). You choose to trust your email every time you sign up for a new service, and most of the people trust them enough to re-use the password :-) Being at least on par with the hackers stealing your data (it is actually one step behind) by being up to date to where your credentials were leaked does seem like a good trade off for me.

Edited by kpumukus
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, SnowxSakura said:

If he or she valued their privacy, they wouldn't game on a platform that has a history of people's private information being stolen. 

Also please stop spreading misinformation, it took me 5 seconds to load this up in the vita browser

http://i.imgur.com/CtD8ZcA.jpg

edit: added image that shows it can be done on the vita

http://i.imgur.com/PnQBooF.jpg

That's a browser. And you already have it enabled according to that screenshot. lol

"You cannot activate 2SV on your PS3, PS Vita, PS TV, PSP or Xperia. You need to activate it on your PS4 or through account management on web browser."

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/my-account/login-details-and-verification/2-step-verification-on-ps3--ps-vita--ps-tv--psp-and-xperia-mobil/

16 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

That's a browser. And you already have it enabled according to that screenshot. lol

"You cannot activate 2SV on your PS3, PS Vita, PS TV, PSP or Xperia. You need to activate it on your PS4 or through account management on web browser."

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/my-account/login-details-and-verification/2-step-verification-on-ps3--ps-vita--ps-tv--psp-and-xperia-mobil/

The wording on the Playstation site seems a bit misleading. What they mean is that you can't activate it through the system settings on a PS3, PSTV, Vita, etc. However, those devices all have a browser, which can be used to set up 2 step verification.

Sony customer support was useless when I last called them. The woman I spoke to wasn't aware of any of my issues (you could hear her searching the database for Sony's so-called-solutions) before trying to charge me for something which she wasn't certain of when my PS4 was in warrenty.

Their staff are the definition of useless :( (sorry if I sounded ignorant above, but they're extremely frustrating) 

33 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Sigh, so I reset my vita just to show you screen by screen you can activate 2 step on your vita, with the e-mail included, please stop.

http://i.imgur.com/Xg2Uo5w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O2P6yxt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kST209k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XrfuuCJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wgvdsJc.jpg

• Like 1

A good way to treat online account security (of any kind) is to look at it as a skill that you can continually improve yourself in.

The more you educate yourself in how security breaches occur and how to actively prevent them with each of your online accounts, the better equipped you will be to be shielded in future.

This applies to PSN, Banking, your online takeaway service, UBER - anything that stores your personal and payment information. 

Even though a worthy company will put money into making account security tight, there will always come a point where it's on you as the user to be responsible for it.

There will always be a slight chance that no matter how good you are someone will find a way to compromise your account. But it's better to only have to worry about that slight chance, than be the person that seems to spend their life on the phone to a company to try and prove ownership because you got 'hacked' for the 1000th time.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop