My psn account has been stolen

wolverine123

4 hours ago, wolverine123 said:

So I received an email from Sony last night telling me I changed my account email address, didn't notice it till I'm at work this morning. Tried signing in on ps app and no luck.

So some low life scumbag has stolen my account, a couple of weeks ago when I signed into psn I had to change my password, I think psn was hacked again or something, anyway I only slightly changed my password by like 1 letter so I'm assuming that's when my details were taken. 

So I've spent my lunch break on the phone to sony support jumping thru hoops to prove it's my account and at the end of the conversation the woman informs me I just need to send a picture of my photo id, I don't have any photo id. I have plenty of alternatives, bank cards bills credit cards my marriage certificate but I can't use any of these apparantly. I'm now stuck waiting for a callback from a supervisor or manager to see what they can do, but they probably won't be able to call me today.

If I sent off for a provisional driving license today it would be 2 weeks at best till I received it. Just have to hope the next person I speak to can do something for me.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest to people that understand, my workmates aren't gamers and they don't get it.

So it's true that European countries can't use serial number to regain account?

34 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think my point is that, if you can have a bank account, a job, a credit card, bank loans, company ownership, motgages etc. Without requiring a photo id, then it seems a little excessive that Sony require one to prove identity. Virtually all of uk life does not require one - except driving and travelling to other countries.

My guess is that the youngsters you are referring to have the only other legally acceptable photoID in the uk - the Prove It cards.

These are primarly used to prove you are over 16 to buy cigarettes/ birth control etc, or over 18 for alcohol. They are not commonly held, as they cost money (as far as I recall a they fid when i worked in a shop and would see them occasionally), and are not useful for much else. If you are not young enough to be mistaken for a child, there is no need for one.

One has a provisional license  (even though he doesn't drive yet) and a passport. The other said they have a citizenship card. Dunno what that is since we don'thave those here. In any case, both have them because it's the responsible thing to do. If something bad happens to you while you are alone, how is anybody going to know who you are? If you are incapacitated, by whatever means, how are your friends and family supposed to be notified. It's not only responsible, it's also courteous to the people who care about you that you can be identified. 

Damn I'm sorry that happened to you. If my account ever gets stolen I'm probably done with gaming. There's probably been over a thousand dollars used on my account in probably the last year alone. Especially when you account for controllers and stuff like that. 

mine been hack 3 times. the first time in 2011, with the huge PSN hack. 2nd in 2016, someone bought NBA 2k currency and i been block by sony until i remove my refound request from Pay pal (took 2 month)... and last time 3 month ago, the guy added 60 from my pay pal and he change my password and email with new one.

i had to call sony and i changed my email for new one and did not request for refound since the money was still on my account. last 2 time the guy was from russia.  

they never said we sorry lol. my password was  a hard one. so i bet on open door on psn

4 minutes ago, Elk_mistral said:

mine been hack 3 times. the first time in 2011, with the huge PSN hack. 2nd in 2016, someone bought NBA 2k currency and i been block by sony until i remove my refound request from Pay pal (took 2 month)... and last time 3 month ago, the guy added 60 from my pay pal and he change my password and email with new one.

i had to call sony and i changed my email for new one and did not request for refound since the money was still on my account. last 2 time the guy was from russia.  

they never said we sorry lol. my password was  a hard one. so i bet on open door on psn

Doesn't matter how hard your password is, if you use it on devices that can easily be accessed with keyloggers and malware, 2 step verification would have prevented that final hack

• Like 3

The unreasonable thing here isn't that the OP doesn't have photo id.  It's that as sony don't know what any of us look like, a photo ID is no more proof of ID than a none photo ID.  And let's face it if you have the ability to fake all the rest, a fake photo of a drives licence should be easy enouth.

For the record my UK drivers licence dates from before they introduced photos and has never needed replacing (well until I reach 70 anyway).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That makes sense.

"This man has collapsed and died! How will we know who he is!?"

"Well, his wallet has three bank cards, his National Insurance number card, his credit cards and all these store cards, all with the same name on them..."

"Dammit man, these have no photos! How can we know they are his?!"

"They were in his wallet..."

"Not good enough!"

"How about this phone? It's full of his contact info, his facebook, twitter, instagram etc..."

"no! These are not official documents!"

"damn, your right. Lets steal his PSNID"

"Good call!"

*high five*

No matter how you want to rationalize not having a form of ID on you common in most countries, apparently, if you want to recover your account from a foreign company with their own policies, you're going to need one. Agree with the practice or not, whine and cry all you want, it won't change that fact. I've had to do more than just show an ID to Sony to get an online pass code that had expired while in the box. I didn't cry about it once. It is what it is.

Edited by Phil

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think my point is that, if you can have a bank account, a job, a credit card, bank loans, company ownership, mortgages etc. without requiring a photo id, then it seems a little excessive that Sony require one to prove identity.

Virtually all of UK life does not require one - except driving and travelling to other countries.

I agree it sounds nonsensical, but it's the only way that any company can confirm personal information which can be check-able.

No-one would willingly pass on their Account details, credit card number or social security number unless it was to the relevant authority.

A passport and/or drivers license can be confirmed with any HRMC (in the UK) services, bank details cannot.

You do need photo ID to purchase guns btw, no other form of identification will be accepted.

@wolverine123 hopefully it will all be back to normal soon.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

No matter how you want to rationalize not having a form of ID on you common in most countries, apparently, if you want to recover your account from a foreign company with their own policies, you're going to need one. Agree with the practice or not, whine and cry all you want, it won't change that fact. I've had to do more than just show an ID to Sony to get an online pass code that had expired while in the box. I didn't cry about it once. It is what it is.

I'm neither whining nor crying, and I have both a passport and a driving licence.

I'm simply pointing out that you suggesting that the OP, who has been the unfortunate victim of both a malicious act and some irksome corporate redtape is at fault for not having a document  - one that is not required under any other circumstance in the country in which he resides -  is somewhere akin to walking past a person who has been mugged and is having trouble communicating with the police that it's his own fault for not being more articulate. 

The dude is having a rough time getting his account back. It sucks, and Sony seems to be making it needlessly harder. Why piss in his chips? What does that benefit you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil said:

How do you have a job, bank card, credit card, marriage certificate and all that and yet no photo ID? Even if you don't drive, every country on this planet issues some form of photo id. Even North Korea issues photo IDs for goodness sake. 

Look, your situation sucks, but I gotta say, whatever is in your head to think it's ok to walk around without GI ID, it doesn't surprise me that you got fooled into giving up your password. 

Not to mention every person that mentions they were hacked... didn't have two factor security activated.

I mean, people will call me an asshole if I say that's stupid... but you know, it kind of is...

Notice how there's no horror stories involving people with two factor activated? Because it doesn't happen unless said hacker has physical access to your cell phone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elk_mistral said:

my password was  a hard one. so i bet on open door on psn

There are many factors that might render this statement irrelevant:

• Did you ever use this or a similar password on any other services?
  • Did your password include your personal details (name, date of birth, home town, your mother's maiden name)
  • Did it include numbers, letters, special characters
  • How long was the password?
  • Did it include a common word with couple digits and/or special characters?

The list can go on and on, the first one is the most important though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elk_mistral said:

i know what you mean but my password is something like 936Dzy3571 the hack or information lost happen twice after i login on Android PS application. maybe a malware or just badluck

I would recommend checking your email on https://haveibeenpwned.com/

There is a chance your credentials on other web sites have been stolen, and if you reused password – that might be the reason.

this may sound as silly not having a photo ID to some people, but i don't have a cell phone. any way to use this 2 step verification thing? sometimes i get nervous signing in wondering if my account could be stolen. anything can happen when your away. i don't have any credit information on my account to worry about since i've only ever used PS Store cards, but at the same time my account is my life in a way. xD

sorry TC, there can be numerous reasons why you don't have an ID, hell mines been expired for idk how long. and i don't have a cell phone lol.

30 minutes ago, wolverine123 said:

I got my account back literally 5 mins ago, I'm so happy. Turns out you don't need photo id, I just exchanged a few emails with Sony support explaining what had happened and now It's back in my hands. I've now set up 2 step verification so no mofo can steal my acc again.  

I've sent off for a provisional driving license aswell so If my face is ever savaged by a rabid llama then the people that find me will know what I'm supposed to look like. 

Thanks almost everyone for your kind words of support through this very difficult time ?

Now back to the hunt.

At least a good ending.:yay:

• Like 2

Yeah I was online editing my guide yesterday and I noticed that the website had a temporary attack which didn't seem strange at first but I was noticing problems with my actual psn account like my damn password wouldn't work and I kept having network errors. I finally was able to change my password (THANK GOD), but there were definitely problems going on that I normally never have. I'm really going to try and keep my bank information off of PSN for now, because I feel like I have a lack of trust for Sony and their network tbh. I might have to just start buying PSN cards again.

Also I'm glad you recovered your stuff man, hate having to go through things like that myself.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2017 at 3:08 PM, Squirlruler said:

Length is your best defense against password hackers, just fyi.

Yeah, I was watching a TV show a couple of days ago where the studio hired some computer safety experts to hack into a family's emails etc, to show the family how easily it can be done.  They explained that a typical 8-character password can be hacked in as little as 2 days by an elite hacker.  However, extending such a password by just another 2 characters can in fact take the time required to crack it all the way up to 4 years.

So the lesson is - the longer your passwords are, the longer they will take (and the harder they will be) to crack.  It's also a good idea to change your passwords from time to time; don't pick one password and stick with it for ever.  Periodically changing passwords can help you stay ahead of hackers.  If you need to write your passwords down, then do it in a diary or something like that, something that cannot be hacked online.

4 hours ago, wolverine123 said:

I got my account back literally 5 mins ago, I'm so happy. Turns out you don't need photo id, I just exchanged a few emails with Sony support explaining what had happened and now It's back in my hands. I've now set up 2 step verification so no mofo can steal my acc again.  

I've sent off for a provisional driving license aswell so If my face is ever savaged by a rabid llama then the people that find me will know what I'm supposed to look like. 

Thanks almost everyone for your kind words of support through this very difficult time ?

Now back to the hunt.

Good to hear. I was gutted when i read your first post. All your trophies gone in the blink of an eye, scary even thinking about it. 

When the 2-step verification was first announced i immediately set it up so no fucker gets into my account.

Edited by EternalChaos72

Bit late to the thread, but good to hear you managed to get your account back.

I had a scare about 4 years back just before the PS4 released. Went to play something on my PS3 one afternoon, and it told me the password was incorrect. Same thing on the Vita. Turns out quite a few people's PSN passwords were reset around that time in the UK for no solid reason, and I unfortunately happened to be one of them. It was fine after changing my password though.

I can imagine how devastating it must be losing access to your account, I've spent probably hundreds on PSN over the years; losing access to all the games and DLC I've purchased would be the biggest blow of all. It's one of the reasons why I try get get games physical whenever possible, since I never feel like I really own digital games.

I don't know how your account was hacked, but I have had two online accounts mysteriously hacked before. I hadn't used both in several years, one was a Facebook account, and another was my Apple/iTunes account. Both happened about 2-3 years apart, just randomly started getting emails telling me that I'd been banned on Facebook for "posting too much spam", and I had two emails informing me I had logged onto iCloud (which I've never even used) on an unrecognised PC. No clue what so ever how they got hacked, almost forgot they even existed since I hadn't used them in years, but thankfully the damage was minimal. I didn't care about the Facebook account so I deleted it after I regained access, and whoever signed into my Apple account didn't seem to do anything aside from log in. Nothing has happened since changing the password.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

On 9/1/2017 at 7:00 PM, Nitro said:

Sending them photo ID is completely safe. I've had to do it in the past.

No it's not. The photo can be leaked from email or if you send it via snail mail the letter could be stolen. Also you never know what the recipient does with your personal information and what the company policy is when destroying said info afterwards.