How do you imagine afterlife ?

RainbowMika8788

I don't have a religion, so it's hard to imagine. I did always consider something like reincarnation into either a human again or another living organism at random (includes animals, bacteria, cockroaches ......) happening. I don't believe in heaven or hell though (not meaning to cause offence to anyone who does)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I do consider myself a Christian, so basically theirs, but I sort of also believe Hindu/Buddha idea of rebirth could be a possibility, that maybe we have new lives but at some point, we will get to reach heaven once we experienced what we can in our past lives.

My view on the afterlife can be quite different from others really. Probably too much to explain to put here, so I'll leave it with that.

• Like 1

You will wake up inside a coffin, dressed in armor with a sword lying next to you. You'll start alone in a sunny field of flowers and then make your way through the Ruined City to fight amongst Hollows and lost souls to reach the Gate of Heaven and ascend into Paradise.

I believe it's like falling asleep and having a lucid dream that lasts forever. Whatever your subconscious materializes, that'll be what'll happen for you. Your own version of heaven, however you envision it to be, that's how it'll be. 

Kind of like life itself. Maybe we're all past dead souls having a collective dream where we are constantly reincarnated when we die to repeat the cycle. We're living the heaven of one of our past lives, just our hard drives get wiped before every cycle. Perhaps that's why we can't remember anything when we were babies. You're still deleting the past life and replacing it with the new one. Babies may have all the answers but they can't communicate any of it to us, by design perhaps. 

That's the coping idea of death, then there's the other idea where death is the end of everything. When you die, nothing happens. Just like before you were born, just a blank nothingness. No consciousness, no soul, no nothing. Like when you fall asleep but don't dream. Just nothing until you wake up 8 hours later. Maybe it's like that but in death, you just wake up as a new person. A 3 year old toddler again starting over with absolutely no recollection of what happened before in your previous life. 

*takes another toke* Something like that...

Not sure. I do believe in the existence of the soul, me and everybody else has one, but anyone that affirms to know what's after death, whether nihilistic or optimistic, is wrong. Humans don't know it and will never do.

I do feel although that this existence is pretty special. Look around us. Out of billons, trillons of beings that ever existed we are here experiencing all the technology and post-human era, with the AI and other advancements. We are able to understand the entire history of humankind, from Alexander, to Michelangelo, Mozart, hell even The Weeknd is part of it. It seems we're always at the edge of something else. I feel pretty blessed of being here (#blessed lol).

Why are we here at this exact moment, can anyone tell me? No, you can't. That's what makes all of it so mysterious and wonderful. "While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die".

You want something more mysterious? This guy dissapeared three months after his comment, 7 years ago:

On 9/1/2017 at 5:31 PM, Hydroxypropanoic said:

Thankfully I shouldn't be dying anytime soon, so I have no need to worry about this just yet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

The simple answer is, I don't. I'm 99% certain that I'll revert to the same state of oblivion as before my birth whenever I stop kicking, just permanently this time.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to spend at least some amount of time with my deceased loved ones in a kind of paradise—at least a few thousand years with them would be nice, before I got sick of it and asked for a rest—I simply have no reason to believe it's plausible.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:43 AM, JAK-KRIEG said:

There is no afterlife, we are born we die end of story. Enjoy your life while you have it is temporary as everything is. I'm not an atheist, religion to me is the root of all evil in the world.

Sorry to break it to ya, bud. You're an atheist. 

Some people have this common misconception that atheism is a group, or they all have a common belief. That's incorrect. Atheism literally means "a lack of belief", or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods. That's the only commonality amongst atheists.

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Some people have this common misconception that atheism is a group, or they all have a common belief. That's incorrect. Atheism literally means "a lack of belief", or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods. That's the only commonality amongst atheists.

Not necessarily. He's anti-religion, but that doesn't mean he believes there is no god.

As for  me, I am an atheist and I have seen enough of dementia and brain cancer working in a hospital and in my family to know one thing: There is nothing of us that is not part of our body. When our brain dies, we just vanish. There is nothing that could possibly experience an afterlife.

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

It's not that I don't believe but it's in science labelling me as an atheist is acknowledging a religion and to me there all the same a cult like scientology. I don't accept labels from cults. If I were to accept labels it would be agnostic definitely not atheist.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

It's not that I don't believe but it's in science labelling me as an atheist is acknowledging a religion and to me there all the same a cult like scientology. I don't accept labels from cults.

It's not anybody labling anything. There's no cult. There's no group. Atheist = you don't believe in religion. That's it. It's a literal meaning. 

I see you're from Denmark, so it's safe to say English is not your primary language? If so, that's probably where the confusion comes from. I wouldn't even know where to begin on how to help translate it to help you understand it better. Or, maybe atheism is seen differently in Denmark, but it shouldn't. It's pretty universal.

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome

12 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

It's not that I don't believe but it's in science labelling me as an atheist is acknowledging a religion and to me there all the same a cult like scientology. I don't accept labels from cults. If I were to accept labels it would be agnostic definitely not atheist.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but a couple points of clarity on the labels:

theist = someone who believes in any religion and acknowledges it

athiest = someone who believes there are no higher powers/religions

agnostic = someone who believes religion might be possible but doesn’t acknowledge a specific one

So an atheist would say “it’s not that I don’t believe in God, I believe there is no God.” 

I think you have your understanding of atheism and agnosticism backwards based on how you described your beliefs here. 

• Confused 1

I changed my mind over the years, age will do that. I don't need to be reincarnated 

I'll be with my loved ones, and just enjoy in however I want Heaven to be at anytime I'm there. A lush field of grass and flowers, or a place where I'm happy

Not worrying about minor, or major things. And watching over those that I left behind, making sure they are ok until we are reunited 

• Like 1

So ... first of all, everyone is allowed to believe what they want, as long as they don't force this belief on others or say that my belief is the best and the only true one. 

Just to answer your question. How I imagine afterlife .. for me there will be nothing. Just like you go to sleep but never wake up. 

Personally, I don't believe in the Bible or in a God who created everyone and his son who died for us.  

What I believe in is treating other people well and hopefully they will do the same for you. Some call it karma ... I call it treat others well and you will get good experiences and often it happens that people don't show me respect, then I don't care and I move on ...