What was the first horror game you ever played?

MHD_es3af

Hello fellow members,

Since this game genre is one of my favourites, I came out with this idea. As the title says, tell us about the first horror game you ever played in your life ?, as follows:

1- Game title ?  2- On which platform ?️  /  3- How old were you when you first played it ?  /  4- your impression/reaction about the game back then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will start with myself:

The first game i played that really scared me was Splatterhouse 3 on Sega Genesis. i was 12 yo back then. it was a good game, i enjoyed it. its soundtracks were memorable and put you on tension always, also it has difficult boss fights. the following video is for the 2nd boss in the game (which the sound of his laughing still scares me till now ?)

Edited by MHD_es3af
  • Like 2

It'd be F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin. I remember playing this a long time ago on my first laptop, was fun to say the least. Not sure but I believe I was 12-13.

On PS4, it'd be Until Dawn; loved it. I'm not fond of horror games so I haven't played much. Not out of fear, it just doesn't interest me that much.

Dead Space (PS3), I guess. It was only few years ago, I was 17ish. I thought it was a great game, the audio is great. You get used to the necromorphs very quickly, however, so they lose their novelty, and the sequences become rather predictable. 

To go as far back as when I first started gaming seriously, it's probably Forbidden Siren on PS2, when I was 12 or 13. It was a bit of a disaster, not because the game's scary - it's not, or at least doesn't start off like that - but because it's tough as nails. Got as far as a level playing an old guy with a rifle and called quits. Would like to give the PS4 re-release another shot, but in all honesty I'd probably get just as far. 

To go back really far, it's probably a game called Nitemare 3D. This was an old Doom clone and I don't remember much about it, other than the fact that it was also pretty tough, and that the audio scared the shit out of my six-year-old self. 

• Like 1

Silent Hill 1, 1999, 9 y.o. Took months to complete, because of fear of game itself, always delayed the walkthrough, especially at Midwich school, later already felt comfortable, if this is actually a right word:). I remember when we, with my school mates played this from dog's house to school, 5 people in the room at once start screaming and run away hiding at the moment when I accidentally pushed off flashlight button in an alley where a dog and flying screamer attacked us. Gold memories of insomnia and stress when games turns off while you sitting alone in the dark and need to go to sleep. 

• Like 2

First horror game that I played to completion was Resident Evil 5 (on PS3) when I was 14. It isn't scary to me now, but back then, the chainsaw majinis would cause me to stop until I was brave enough to face it head on. Similar thing happened in Resident Evil 4 (on Gamecube), which I played at an even younger age, but I always stopped when Dr. Salvador showed up since I was afraid of the death scene in which he chopped Leon's head off with the chainsaw.

Image result for resident evil 4 chainsaw death

That said, even earlier in my life, I stopped after the Parasite Queen boss fight in Metroid Prime (on Gamecube) during the evacuation part, as even though looking back on it, I would have easily made it out with plenty of time to spare, I had seen the game over screen from my brother dying at the Thardus boss fight, and was scared to death from possibly running out of time and seeing that game over screen again. Nowadays, the game is a piece of cake, I can beat it without dying, and I have no fears about seeing the game over screen, which is interesting, since in my opinion, the third one has the scariest of the trilogy.

Resident Evil 4 (one of my top 5 favorite games of all time) on the Gamecube at 12 years old. I got to the village and then got decapitated by Dr. Salvador, I was so terrified that I turned the game off and never played it again until I was a senior in high school. I only ever started playing it again because my brother moved out and took the Xbox and PC with him so all I had left to play was my Gamecube. But after I started it up again I was hooked, I did everything you could possibly do in the game and basically just played that game and nothing else for 2 months straight beating it atleast 10x over.

Why is this in the forum games section? :P

For me it was Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. I was really young at the time (maybe like 7 or 8), so as you would expect, it was quite the terrifying experience. :lol: I don't think I ever actually beat the game back then (partly because I was scared, but also because I sucked at games when I was a kid). It did have a lasting impact on me, though, and now the survival horror genre is one of my favourites. These days I can breeze through games like Dead Space without batting an eyelid. I don't know if a game can scare me like RE2 did back in the day, but I sure hope I find one. :P

Edited by Undead Wolf

It was an early nintendo game, where you played a guy trapped in a esoteric prison of different 'themed' cells, each filled with man-sized turtles, antagonist blobs of sentient goo, living ball-and-chain creatures with enormous teeth, floating spiked stone blocks the size of trucks, vicious triffid plants, walking cacti and a race of living mushrooms on acid.

He had to rescue a member of the royal line from a kind of dinosaur/tortoise/human-hybrid.

He had to traverse from area to area by crawling through sewage pipes (a bit like the end of The Shawshank Redemption I suppose, but without the uplifting message, as every time he did the next cell of his infinite prison was more diabolical than the last)

I remember there was a lot of body-horror in it - whenever he would eat a shroom his bones and body would distort and grow, presumably tearing his skin apart and ripping up his insides - though being 8 bit it was tough to tell - but he just kept going through what must have been agonising pain, as it was his only chance to escape the infernal purgatory he had been cast into, (I assume as some kind of cosmic, karmic punishment for his prior sins in caging a large monkey during his early career as a zookeeper.)

Can't quite recall the name...

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Why is this in the forum games section? :P

I don't know, this is my first topic actually, so i was confused where to put it hahaha. thanks for notifying me btw.

about RE2 it was the 2nd i ever played, i would have said exactly the same words. i like horror-survival. but since those days you don't find a game that fulfill our demands, even RE is now away from that path (started from RE4)... the only games which i really liked were the last of us, the evil within and you can say RE7. now i'm looking forward to TLOU2 and TEW2

First ever played:

The_7th_Guest_-_cover.jpg

7 - 8 Years Old (1995 - 1996)

Never properly played it and probably never will. The only reason I managed to play any games on the PC (back on the Windows 3.1) was because of my dad. He is 62 years old now and during his stint with Hewlett Packard (1989 - 1999) he met a lot of coworkers who were knowledgeable with computer games. He bought a PC back in 1992 and had various PC games like Dune II, Wolfenstein 3D, Simcity, Civilization, etc. I have to thank my dad for showing me a lot of those old Windows/DOS games. Without him, I would of never had a chance to play the old computer games.

First properly played and finished, from start to end:

maxresdefault.jpg

blood-5225148.jpg

1781990-blood.jpg

Blood_logo.jpg

9 Years Old (1997)

Released back in 1997. First person shooter in a horror setting that used the Build engine that made Duke Nukem 3D notable.

Had TONS of fun with this back in the day. Soundtrack was spooky, enemies were plentiful and of course, lots of blood and gore.

As far as I'm aware of, NOBODY knows the real source code for this game. I think everybody has had to come up with their own for the mods and whatnot.

I wish somebody will come out with a remake. We got an entire generation who never got around to playing this game, because they were too young.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1