Why are Platinums so valuable?

theSpirae

1 hour ago, mako-heart said:

well im fine with not experiencing everything if its requires spending 100s of dollars on costumes like doa5 or blue reflection et al

There are no trophies/achievements related to costumes, etc. We're talking about DLCs adding more to a base game, like Fallout, Skyrim, etc.

It's like having 100% achievements in WoW Vanilla (I'm well aware there weren't achievements at that time) and thinking you still have 100% after 4 new expansions being released. 

I enjoy them because of the challenges getting all the trophies provides. They're also good motivators to go back to games I didn't like and give them a second chance - I hated Resident Evil HD the first time I completed it, and only did so because it's so beloved and wanted to see if it got better. I gave it a second chance because of was on my trophy list, which led to me enjoying it a lot more now that I didn't have to go through those unskippable doors as I blindly fumbled around and tried to figure out what to do.

It's also a nice way to motivate me to do everything in the game, provided there isn't a large amount of grinding/online trophies. Even if there isn't something like a secret ending or an unlockable whatever that gives game-breaking abilities, it's nice having something that I can think of as a way to show that I did it.

10 minutes ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Unfortunately, Platinums have no money value. I wish I was rewarded with a free game or discount on games.

What Sony should do is kinda follow what Youtube does with subscribers.

Like say you hit 5k or 10k trophies, or 100/200 Platinums Sony could give you a little trophy statue with your name on it like how Youtube does with play buttons. If YouTube can manage to give play buttons out for anyone that hits 100k subscribers, and other milestones I could see sony do the same kind of thing. But I know they won't sadly. A man can dream.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, theSpirae said:

There are no trophies/achievements related to costumes, etc. We're talking about DLCs adding more to a base game, like Fallout, Skyrim, etc.

It's like having 100% achievements in WoW Vanilla (I'm well aware there weren't achievements at that time) and thinking you still have 100% after 4 new expansions being released. 

Except for Eye of Judgement. You can't get the platinum without buying the DLC.

That being said there are things like the extra level in Playstation Allstars you have to buy to get 100% in that game (it is 1 silver) 

6 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

You skip all text and run through all choices in a few hours... i read in 3-5 hours it's possible and doesn't require any skill at all

I know people do that but  they are    missing out on an excellent story.
Some of the puzzles and ending  requirements are a  little difficult  to figure out.
I hope  I don't get judged for having the  Steins Gate Platinum because I actually really enjoy the author  and I'm actually reading the story :)

• Like 1

I feel like I do the reverse. If I see that a game looks pretty cool, but the platinum seems too high, I’ll skip out on it.

ICEY, for example. Watched a trailer and some gameplay, and was like “that looks pretty cool” and then saw it was a 70% plat and went “ah never mind.” It’s interesting to think how these virtual nothings dictate our choices lol.

Also, regarding My Name Is Mayo; when I discovered that game, and discovered what you had to do to get the platinum (dress up a jar of mayonnaise and press it), I told my best friend about it. We saw it was like a dollar and he said “eff it, why not”, just because of how goofy it sounded, and that was one of the funniest hours of gaming we’ve done. All the different costumes and the general stupidity of it entertained the hell out of us. So it’s really important to understand intent when you see someone’s platinums. ?

But to answer OP, I see them as a “you’ve beat the game, but go do this extra thing to get a little prize, and when you get all of those prizes, you’ll get the mega prize to say ‘hey I did all the things the devs wanted me to do’” and I did it for RE5 and instantly wanted more plat dings

53 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

Some of the puzzles and ending  requirements are a  little difficult  to figure out.
I hope  I don't get judged for having the  Steins Gate Platinum because I actually really enjoy the author  and I'm actually reading the story :)

puzzles? what puzzles? :D

I skipped everything to get the plat on ps3 and that's why i bought the game for Vita again and actually read all text :) although i used a guide to make all the right choices, didn't rely on luck there :P:D

there isn't much but it does make you explore the game more than you normally would, recently I found a psychonauts easter egg in Alice: Madness Returns I had to make a quick google search to see if it was an actual reference to the game it's like a discovery, maybe find a game you like and try aiming for the Platinum and see what you get from it, it could be quite the discovery, Give it a try.:platinum::):platinum:

54 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

There's nothing wrong with playing VN, well at least if you aren't stacking them.. I personally find it kind of sad when I see a profile with a high number of trophies/platinums, but when checking them it's just stacks of VN/Tell Tales after stacks of the same thing and all with just a few hours of platinum time (so they simply skip everything).. it almost feels like those people play just for the instant gratification and forgot what's gaming about..

Well, that's my view, but if they enjoy it, that's their problem.

And no one will judge anyone just because they have just a few VN platinum (I think, or at least no one ever pointed that out to me, with the VN and Tell Tales on my profile, but maybe mine isn't the best of examples..)

35 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

puzzles? what puzzles? :D

I skipped everything to get the plat on ps3 and that's why i bought the game for Vita again and actually read all text :) although i used a guide to make all the right choices, didn't rely on luck there :P:D

The way  you are meant to  figure out   the ending requirements is a puzzle in itself lol

27 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

There's nothing wrong with playing VN, well at least if you aren't stacking them.. I personally find it kind of sad when I see a profile with a high number of trophies/platinums, but when checking them it's just stacks of VN/Tell Tales after stacks of the same thing and all with just a few hours of platinum time (so they simply skip everything).. it almost feels like those people play just for the instant gratification and forgot what's gaming about..

Well, that's my view, but if they enjoy it, that's their problem.

And no one will judge anyone just because they have just a few VN platinum (I think, or at least no one ever pointed that out to me, with the VN and Tell Tales on my profile, but maybe mine isn't the best of examples..)

I do judge people that play games they don't like just for the trophies.
Whats the point in playing a visual novel if you don't read it? 

11 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

I do judge people that play games they don't like just for the trophies.
Whats the point in playing a visual novel if you don't read it? 

That's kind of what I said, usually if people play only a few VN they actually do read them (well, I do.. with exception of Amnesia, I started it because I was curious but didn't liked the 1st "story", so I just skip everything else.. on the other hand I skip Code Realize because I was in a rush for platinum at the time and then got back to it after finishing Persona 5, because skipping Code Realize had left me feeling bad about it, because the bits I read when I was skipping made me think that I would actually like the story..).. As for the other VN that I played, I have no clue how long they took, but took quite a while, since I'm a slow reader..

• Like 1

Collecting can be fun and encourage people to put more effort into their games. The downsides might include:

- Potentially getting less enjoyment out of playing the game than you would by ignoring the trophies

- Becoming obsessed with this hobby and simply purchasing games for the sake of it (goes for DLCs too if they want to complete the game)

So it's just best to take it in moderation. Not everyone is into it and they're probably better for it lol. 

Collecting can be fun and encourage people to put more effort into their games. The downsides might include:

- Potentially getting less enjoyment out of playing the game than you would by ignoring the trophies

- Becoming obsessed with this hobby and simply purchasing games for the sake of it (goes for DLCs too if they want to complete the game)

So it's just best to take it in moderation. Not everyone is into it and they're probably better for it lol. 

2 hours ago, corkscrew17 said:

I feel like I do the reverse. If I see that a game looks pretty cool, but the platinum seems too high, I’ll skip out on it.

ICEY, for example. Watched a trailer and some gameplay, and was like “that looks pretty cool” and then saw it was a 70% plat and went “ah never mind.” It’s interesting to think how these virtual nothings dictate our choices lol.

Also, regarding My Name Is Mayo; when I discovered that game, and discovered what you had to do to get the platinum (dress up a jar of mayonnaise and press it), I told my best friend about it. We saw it was like a dollar and he said “eff it, why not”, just because of how goofy it sounded, and that was one of the funniest hours of gaming we’ve done. All the different costumes and the general stupidity of it entertained the hell out of us. So it’s really important to understand intent when you see someone’s platinums. ?

But to answer OP, I see them as a “you’ve beat the game, but go do this extra thing to get a little prize, and when you get all of those prizes, you’ll get the mega prize to say ‘hey I did all the things the devs wanted me to do’” and I did it for RE5 and instantly wanted more plat dings

Hey man where is the spoiler alert for mayo.... Don't ruin the story for me ?

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 4:04 AM, theSpirae said:

I'm pretty new to PS4 (I've been gaming for over 25 years but PS2/Xbox was my last console). I'm just curious what makes people go crazy about Platinum trophies? A lot of times I don't see anything special about, like Platinums from Telltales games, which you get just for watching the game for 10 hours, and other pretty difficult games have no Platinum. Am I missing something here?

Nope. Like many items with no intrinsic value (baseball cards, comics, etc.), the value is solely based on the market in which you find it. And while plats have no monetary value, they are still valued among their collectors. Some people only value difficult plats, while others value quirky plats and still others value all plats.

Edited by starcrunch061

They are like photographs I suppose - They have value to the owner, but not to other people.

A platinum trophy is a snapshot in time - a little momento of gaming past. It’s value is not intrinsic, but rather in the memory of a game and the time you spent earning it.

Maybe a game you loved, or hated, or felt proud to beat. Maybe also of the time in your life when you beat it - some good, some bad:

Eg. My Batman Arkham Asylum Plat reminds me of my wedding, as I earned it the night before heading down to the town in which I got married.

My Dishonored 2 trophies, on the other hand, reminds me of when I was bed-ridden with the Norovirus and couldn’t get up to do anything else!

Like diaries, they aren’t about money, they are about time.

• 5 years later...

Because some games have platinums while other games don't, it's entirely up to the developers if they want the list to have a platinum. Also, earning the platinum shows that you have fully completed everything the game has to offer. Platinums are also the hardest trophy type to obtain, as you literally have to earn every other trophy in the base game to unlock it.

Edited by Kimura Takahashi
double post bug