Why are Platinums so valuable?

theSpirae

I'm pretty new to PS4 (I've been gaming for over 25 years but PS2/Xbox was my last console). I'm just curious what makes people go crazy about Platinum trophies? A lot of times I don't see anything special about, like Platinums from Telltales games, which you get just for watching the game for 10 hours, and other pretty difficult games have no Platinum. Am I missing something here?

• Like 3

Because they are shiny, pretty to look at and make a melodious dinging sound when they pop.

Platinums are just a sign that you have obtained every other trophy that a game has (at least for games with a plat). It’s a way of showing what you have achieved with a single trophy as opposed to a whole list of trophies.

Personally I just see Trophies in general as something to aim for in a game, I enjoy it. Granted I can't seem to play many games now unless there's at least some Trophy/Achievement mechanic involved (some might say that takes away from the gaming experience and stops me enjoying other things, but personally I don't mind).

Platinums are just an extension of that thought, doesn't matter on the Rarity as, so long as you enjoy yourself going for it [the Platinum] then its a good thing, and a good accomplishment.

Sometimes the Value of the platinum starts to fade and you seem to lose the games purpose just some people has that mentality where in order to really finish the game  is to have achieve it other wise in your state of mine it always seem incomplete.

As for me I find it fun but theres always one thing that ruins people which are the onlines especially the grind such GTA IV AC: Brotherhood Last of Us and so on. The only reason people go online is cause there force to just to get that platinum

3 minutes ago, AlphaTrash said:

Bruh, you don't even have 100 URs and you have easy plats yourself. 

I agree with everything you said, I just don't think you've earned the right throw stones just yet m8. 

You get to publicly mock people when you surpass 500 URs, it's the forum rules and everything; until then you're a shit peasant just like the rest of us. 

Oh, I agree, my dude :^)

I like to go for them due to the fact most of the time it makes you do everything in the game, it also shows people that you've done it. Games like Super Meat Boy are hard to platinum so having it shows your abilities ( unless it wasn't you who earned it). I agree that when people platinum easy games such as Mayo and 1000 Top Rated they lose they're value, unfortunately there are a lot of people who will play them and then get the platinum on all regions just to boost their platinum count up. 

I personally don't respect any account which does this as you're meant to play and and enjoy games, not just play them for the platinum bragging rights. I'm more impressed at an account which doesn't have duplicates of games nor silly games which are only purchased for the sake of the easy 100%/ platinum.

At the end of the day it means something different to everyone, as long as you enjoy it then thats all what matters.

Edited by LucileRose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nyonmyan said:

Ultra-rares are more important tbh.

Laughing @ all these peeps with Hannah Montana, 90% plat rarity indies and 10 versions of Sound Shapes.

There are 10 Sound Shapes stacks? Neat.

Platinums have lost a lot of value, imo. There used to be a line drawn as to whether a game gets a platinum or not, which made them rarer and special. Now they're just like every other trophy, they're all over the place.

When shit like Mayo Name is Mayo and 1000 Top Rated gets granted a platinum, you know there's a serious issue with the system. It's not quite as bad as it is over on Xbox where every game has 1000G, which is fucking dumb, but platinums have been severely devalued due to the sheer quantity available these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theSpirae said:

Thanks for all your comments. I love hunting achievements but it's sad to see what's happening on Steam, so, for now, I'm enjoying hunting trophies here on PS4 ;)

Not a computer gamer but curious; what's happening on Steam?

And as was said before, it's not just getting a platinum but which platinum you get. You will frequently hear the terms "Trophy Hunter and "Trophy Whore". A trophy Hunter goes after a variety of Platinums, focusing on very rare or lower. A trophy whore buys games to get easy Platinums whether they suck or not, focusing on quick and easy, uncommon and higher. You can tell the difference by their average rarity.

The joke was made earlier about "Hannah Montana" because it is a notoriously easy plat(2-3 hours) that most wouldn't bother with if not for the easy trophies.

Either way, focus on what you like!

Edited by Bullstomp
  • Like 1

Try getting some. ONCE U POP U CANT STOP

Also, they're worth like 1000 points, if you care about levels.

I use them to gauge if I've completed game, and have sold games after doing so. This is a big deal for someone who has spent a life refusing to get rid of any.

So now I only keep the games I REALLY like out of Plats. But that doesn't say much, since I currently have so few lol

45 minutes ago, madbuk said:

There are 10 Sounds Shape stacks? Neat.

Platinums have lost a lot of value, imo. There used to be a line drawn as to whether a game gets a platinum or not, which made them rarer and special. Now they're just like every other trophy, they're all over the place.

Replace Sound Shape with Steins;Gate and you're good to go :D ok, i know not 100% the same, but pretty much :P

I agree with most of you guys... Getting a platinum trophy was very special nowadays it's less rewarding with easy games... and yes i do have some of them too... going for a few easy and a few medium to hard plats... it's such a thrill to say i have platted Gran Turismo 5 for example... i chose to look at trophy lists to check what else can i do besides that that i already know? Because in many games i playthrough without thinking about trophies (though it becomes less like this) and doing additional playthroughs to collect trophies... but i don't just stop after getting a plat in a game that has dlc trophies... i go for all trophies cuz more stuff to explore... not always to enjoy though :D

To me, platinum trophies encourage me to explore all of what the game has to offer. This isn't true for all games as before I was specifically going for platinum's, I had completed inFamous and inFamous 2 because I enjoyed them so much. Getting a platinum to me is a sense of achievement but again, I don't get the same feeling for each game. My platinum for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 and Persona 4: Golden mean so much more to me then the plats of My Name is Mayo and NCIS: The Game, terribly easy and rather boring games.

On the other hand, platinum's are a way to get me through terrible games just to say, "I played that piece of sh*t and here's a trophy that proves I stuck through the end". Example of that? Hannah Montana...ugh. I only went through that because I watched the show a few times when it was out. I'm only attempting to get the platinum for games I enjoy and if I can't, that's fine, as long as I beat the story or get what I want out of it. However, I won't stand to have broken or buggy games that I can't possibly complete so I make sure not to get trophies for them (looking at you Monster Jam). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucileRose said:

I like to go for them due to the fact most of the time it makes you do everything in the game, it also shows people that you've done it. Games like Super Meat Boy are hard to platinum so having it shows your abilities ( unless it wasn't you who earned it). I agree that when people platinum easy games such as Mayo and 1000 Top Rated they lose they're value, unfortunately there are a lot of people who will play them and then get the platinum on all regions just to boost their platinum count up. 

I personally don't respect any account which does this as you're meant to play and and enjoy games, not just play them for the platinum bragging rights. I'm more impressed at an account which doesn't have duplicates of games nor silly games which are only purchased for the sake of the easy 100%/ platinum.

At the end of the day it means something different to everyone, as long as you enjoy it then thats all what matters.

You don't respect any account that gets easy platinums. 

So if an account has my name is mayo and super meat boy you can't respect it even though it's much greater than your own? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Not a computer gamer but curious; what's happening on Steam?

Steam has had a run of games that are referred to as "achievement spam" games where their only value is to give a player a ton of achievements in a short amount of time.  By a ton of achievements I mean thousands.  Valve had to actually implement a limit to the number of achievements that can be in a game because of how bad it got, though the limit is still pretty high at 5,000 achievements.   Now I'll fully admit, some of these games can be fun.  The Zup series that started the craze actually is really fun to play.  But a lot of the ones that followed have no value other than a large amount of achievements.  So pretty much on Steam number of achievements someone has means nothing anymore, though people still do put some value in the number of perfect games and average game completion percentage.

Now as far as platinums, they have value because the number of platinums shows the number of games someone has completed.  Even an easy game like a Telltale game has value in having a platinum because the platinum shows the player played the story to completion.  Considering how often players don't put more than a few hours into a game, that means something.  A UR plat means more, of course, because it's more time and skill someone put in.

So pretty much a platinum or 100%, even an easy one, indicates a player is playing their games to completion rather than abandoning it before they even finish the base story like so many do.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 4