Gamestop's Power Pass

DistantFox

Gamestop is making a new subscription service that lets you rent any pre-owned game you want, swap it out whenever you want, and you can keep the last game you rent. It'll be $60 for 6 months and will start mid-November. Thoughts?

original.jpg 

I think it's actually a pretty good deal. Could be useful for games I want to try, but don't want to buy. Or maybe some old DS games. My college has a shuttle to an area with a Gamestop every Monday (I have my license, but not a car, and I don't really want to drive in Massachusetts) so it's like getting a new game every week.

Edited by OhDearGodRun

As someone who gets most of his games from Gamestop, this seems very interesting. There is definitely a lot of old games, and even new ones that I'd love to play, but don't really have/want to spend the money on. One thing about it is it's only for 6 months, so it's basically $10 a month. That's not bad, but it's not all that good either. I probably won't do this, if only for the fact I like to buy and keep games, and this is essentially a rental service.

Well, if you're able to front the money AND have no problems with having a game for no longer than a week at a time (AND if you have no shame :jaymon:), you can "rent" any number of used games from GameStop FOR FREE, just as long as you return them before the 7 days are up. :ninja:

(unless their used game return policy has changed since the last time I checked)

The thing is with GameFly - they don’t have every game you could want. The last time I rented from them, almost all of the Vita games I wanted to play they no longer had. Also the shipping times were horrible. 

Sure, GameStop also has a limited selection but it’s a lot bigger.

I would probably never use the service because I like adding to my physical game collection and I borrow games from my local library. But it’s pretty neat. 

Edited by scarishbal
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fatty_Fatness said:

Well, if you're able to front the money AND have no problems with having a game for no longer than a week at a time (AND if you have no shame :jaymon:), you can "rent" any number of used games from GameStop FOR FREE, just as long as you return them before the 7 days are up. :ninja:

(unless their used game return policy has changed since the last time I checked)

While you can do this, if you do it more than twice in a row, you can get flagged, and be unable to return used games. It depends on the manager, but when I worked at gamestop, we had to do it to a few people because they'd do it literally every week.

33 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

There is a better system available...

Try this instead of padding GameStop's cash coffers

How is waiting 4-5 days between each game, having games get lost in the mail, and having to pay more a better system than walking into a store and picking and choosing exactly what you want to play on the spot. And then just being able to go immediately to the store when you're done with your current game, and get another one, and get to keep the last game you get? Seriously, 1 game out at a time is $95.70 for 6 months of Gamefly. The price alone is already a significantly better deal.

Also, I say this as an ex-employee who hates gamestop.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 2

The hell is this.. (<- works at GameStop lol). Love how employees are never informed of stuff like this. I thought this thread was referencing the Elite Pro membership. That page that you're looking at it from is it from the most recent Game Informer or the Holiday Catalog? (Edit: I just realized that you werent the one that took the picture of the advertisement.) Although I am slightly bothered by this. Considering how much they were pushing pre-owned and they bring out something like this? I can't really see them benefiting anything from the business side of it. Especially if a pre-owned new title comes in and a customer with a membership comes in to rent it, but another customer without it comes in looking for the same game as well, but it is unavailable. Ultimately killing the profit they could've made..

Just the idea seems really weird from the company's point of view.

thank god employees are allowed to check out/rent games for a certain amount of days. sure saves me money lol.

2 hours ago, OhDearGodRun said:

I guess it's that you can only have 1 (I assume) and you need to be a Pro member I think.

I would assume Elite tbh. Pro is just the $15 membership. If they really wanted to take advantage Id assume they'd target the Elite ($30)

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

While you can do this, if you do it more than twice in a row, you can get flagged, and be unable to return used games. It depends on the manager, but when I worked at gamestop, we had to do it to a few people because they'd do it literally every week.

I can confirm this as well. We've denied a customer's return before because of constant abuse of this.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 1

Seems pretty interesting to me, and it seems well very well suited to those who have just bought a new gaming system and want to try out a variety of games without being tied down to just a few select titles they may already have. I've already got too much of a backlog to deal with before next years plethora of games, so I don't think I will be participating in this new business venture. Like I said though, could be interesting for those looking to try out a large base of games in a short amount of time, or those looking to boost their PSN level by getting games with relatively quick and easy platinums.

I would totally be down for this as long as you don't need a debit card. I have a feeling you will though so they have a way to charge you if you never return a game or break it. Gamefly isn't a viable option for me since I live in Alaska. My shipping times would probably be a little extreme. One thing that I do wonder is if your local Gamestop doesn't have the game would they ship it from another store in a different city. If the Gamestop in my city doesn't have the game I want, I would have to drive 60 miles to Anchorage to the other two locations. That would be too much if I had to return it to that location also.

Gamefly won't do anything outside the USA. Gamestop owns EBgames, so there's a potential it can expand into Canada. There's also no wait list, you walk in and pick any game you want to play. Not in? Go to another Gamestop, they're not really rare to find.

Bring that here to Canada and I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Briefly texting my co-worker about this. I really can't see the positive. This would really hurt the company, I really can't see anything positive other than having customers come into the store.

Questions

What happens if the game breaks or they end up scratching it and claim it was like that when received?

How would tracking even work?

Is GameStop thinking of the long term for this idea?

What even gave this idea of them to do this?:

_______

New releases that come in pre-owned would be almost impossible to find because of people renting the game

Less people would be trading in previously owned pre-owned games because of this service (Circle of life)

Less people would be buying pre-owned (Circle of Life)

Nobody would be getting Elite/Pro memberships since the main benefit of those are 20/10% off of pre-owned games.. wouldn't be necessary because of the renting (Circle of Life)

Pre-order numbers would drop because customers would be waiting for a pre-owned copy of a game to come in to the store. (Circle of Life)

The four aspects to the Circle of Life are Reserves -> Trade -> Pre-owned -> Elite/Pro. This service jeopardizes the Circle of Life, making GameStop's profit drop.

Only reason I'm making a big deal is I can definitely see in the future more stores closing because they can't meet goals, their store isn't making any money resulting in stores closing and people losing their jobs.

I'm hoping to god this is some sort of hoax or there's some sort of catch to this. This service claims to be starting in less than a month and yet employees weren't verbally told about this? It's not even being displayed/advertised on GSO(GameStop's store info hub).

This is literally turning into Blockbuster.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

Wtf, that’s not in my GI!!!

It looks like a pretty good deal for me if it wasn’t for the fact that I like to hold on to all my games (with the exception of ps+) and that I’m up to my neck in games already. There are like 2 GS within 5 min from me. Can’t really read the fine print but I think it says you have to be a Powerup Rewards member, doesn’t say what tier but I’ve been a Pro since ‘05 (it wasn’t called Pro until a few years ago).

Basically you’re buying a used game for $60 six months down the line, that’s the catch, but you get to sample other games (which some people already do for free).

I don’t know if I’d sign up for this since most of the time I just walk out empty handed (that’s not necessarily GS’s fault).

1 hour ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Briefly texting my co-worker about this. I really can't see the positive. This would really hurt the company, I really can't see anything positive other than having customers come into the store.

Questions

What happens if the game breaks or they end up scratching it and claim it was like that when received?

How would tracking even work?

Is GameStop thinking of the long term for this idea?

What even gave this idea of them to do this?:

_______

New releases that come in pre-owned would be almost impossible to find because of people renting the game

Less people would be trading in previously owned pre-owned games because of this service (Circle of life)

Less people would be buying pre-owned (Circle of Life)

Nobody would be getting Elite/Pro memberships since the main benefit of those are 20/10% off of pre-owned games.. wouldn't be necessary because of the renting (Circle of Life)

Pre-order numbers would drop because customers would be waiting for a pre-owned copy of a game to come in to the store. (Circle of Life)

The four aspects to the Circle of Life are Reserves -> Trade -> Pre-owned -> Elite/Pro. This service jeopardizes the Circle of Life, making GameStop's profit drop.

Only reason I'm making a big deal is I can definitely see in the future more stores closing because they can't meet goals, their store isn't making any money resulting in stores closing and people losing their jobs.

I'm hoping to god this is some sort of hoax or there's some sort of catch to this. This service claims to be starting in less than a month and yet employees weren't verbally told about this? It's not even being displayed/advertised on GSO(GameStop's store info hub).

This is literally turning into Blockbuster.

You're forgetting a couple of pretty important things.

• A game has to be bought, then traded in, to be pre-owned. If you're getting reserves, Gamestop is getting that money for the new sale.
  • Gamestop sells more than just games. Getting people into the store on a weekly or more basis, will push sales of other stuff. People will be spending less on games, and be more inclined to buy figures, shirts, or whatever else.
  • If a person likes a game enough, they will buy it for their collection, instead of exchange it.
  • There's a lot of people who don't like pre-owned, and only buy new, and this isn't going to affect their sales.
  • Some people take a long time to play a game, and will end up only getting 2 or 3 games the entire subscription period.
  • Used copies of new releases are already hard to find. A game being used for this service is no different than being bought, except they get the product back within a week or two.

More important than any of this, Gamestop is making a lot of money this way. It's just a long term investment. They're essentially selling a used game for $60 (the one you keep at the end), which is higher than the cost of any used game on the shelf. You just get the perk of being able to freely trade that game for 6 months to decide which one you want, but ultimately, Gamestop is just selling a used game for $60, that they may have only paid, at most, about $20-$25 for, and as little as $1 for. It's pretty genius in the long term, and has the potential to make them a lot more money.

Oh yeah, the other two points.

You break it you buy it. If you break a game, that's either the game you get for your sub fee, or you can pay the cost of the game. If it's scratched, oh well? Lots of used games get scratched. As long as it still looks like it's in working condition. So, it really doesn't matter. Just like any other trade-in/used copy.

Since you need a rewards account, tracking is very obviously linked to it. I'm sure going into the account will show what game they currently have.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 1:12 AM, ExHaseo said:

You're forgetting a couple of pretty important things.

• A game has to be bought, then traded in, to be pre-owned. If you're getting reserves, Gamestop is getting that money for the new sale.
  • Gamestop sells more than just games. Getting people into the store on a weekly or more basis, will push sales of other stuff. People will be spending less on games, and be more inclined to buy figures, shirts, or whatever else.
  • If a person likes a game enough, they will buy it for their collection, instead of exchange it.
  • There's a lot of people who don't like pre-owned, and only buy new, and this isn't going to affect their sales.
  • Some people take a long time to play a game, and will end up only getting 2 or 3 games the entire subscription period.
  • Used copies of new releases are already hard to find. A game being used for this service is no different than being bought, except they get the product back within a week or two.

More important than any of this, Gamestop is making a lot of money this way. It's just a long term investment. They're essentially selling a used game for $60 (the one you keep at the end), which is higher than the cost of any used game on the shelf. You just get the perk of being able to freely trade that game for 6 months to decide which one you want, but ultimately, Gamestop is just selling a used game for $60, that they may have only paid, at most, about $20-$25 for, and as little as $1 for. It's pretty genius in the long term, and has the potential to make them a lot more money.

Oh yeah, the other two points.

You break it you buy it. If you break a game, that's either the game you get for your sub fee, or you can pay the cost of the game. If it's scratched, oh well? Lots of used games get scratched. As long as it still looks like it's in working condition. So, it really doesn't matter. Just like any other trade-in/used copy.

Since you need a rewards account, tracking is very obviously linked to it. I'm sure going into the account will show what game they currently have.

Although with a new game being bought isn't pure profit for them. That's what pre-owned is. There's only a small group of customers who come in looking for pops and you occasionally have people come in and spot t-shirts they like. The people who just buy new, this doesn't even apply to since they wouldn't want to use the service anyways. Not necessarily hard to find. I have customers who beat games within a couple of days and bring them back pretty fast. Sometimes the game sits on the shelf, sometimes it gets sold and never comes back, sometimes it gets sold and comes back. Someone with that subscription could end up picking up a $20 game and never bring it back and a customer without a subscription could buy the $54 game and keep it as well. That's a $74 pure actual profit right there. If the subscription person picks up the $54 game and you have another customer looking for the same game, that potentially hurt a pre-owned sale if the person brings the game back a month or so later because you missed out on a potential sale. 

I'm just not fond of this idea because like I said, the typical customer who buys pre-owned games will buy less. Decreasing sales of used tremendously which means decreasing their actual profits.

5 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Although with a new game being bought isn't pure profit for them. That's what pre-owned is. There's only a small group of customers who come in looking for pops and you occasionally have people come in and spot t-shirts they like. The people who just buy new, this doesn't even apply to since they wouldn't want to use the service anyways. Not necessarily hard to find. I have customers who beat games within a couple of days and bring them back pretty fast. Sometimes the game sits on the shelf, sometimes it gets sold and never comes back, sometimes it gets sold and comes back. Someone with that subscription could end up picking up a $20 game and never bring it back and a customer without a subscription could buy the $54 game and keep it as well. That's a $74 pure actual profit right there. If the subscription person picks up the $54 game and you have another customer looking for the same game, that potentially hurt a pre-owned sale if the person brings the game back a month or so later because you missed out on a potential sale. 

I'm just not fond of this idea because like I said, the typical customer who buys pre-owned games will buy less. Decreasing sales of used tremendously which means decreasing their actual profits.

Oh-honey-GIF.gif

Gamestop pays for those games whether it's through store credit or cash, so it's not "pure profit." More importantly than that, Gamestop has higher profit margins because of used games than any other company. They're going to be fine if they sell a $54 game for $60. Now, stop. re-read that line. Here, I'll type it again, with the important part in bold, to make it easy for you. They're going to be fine if they sell a $54 game for $60. They're making $6 more from the subscription person, than the person who outright buys it. Making them more money than they would have just selling the game. And that's only if they keep that max price game. If they get anything else, Gamestop makes even MORE money.

Also, one of the most important parts of business, is to get people in the store. That's why sales and advertising exists, to get them into the store. Getting them into the store increases the chances they'll spend money by a ridiculous margin. And then adding in the point from this specific situation, that they're not there to spend money, it will give people far more reason to spend money. "I've got free games for the next 6 months, I can spend $20 on a t-shirt/accessory/blind boxes this time." This subscription is very obviously about them capitalizing on that mentality, and getting people constantly in the store.

Gamestop is definitely going to be fine, and this is a genius business tactic that is going to make them more money. Which is exactly why they're doing it. It's okay if you don't understand it, it's not your job to know how marketing works. Just trust that the marketing people know what they're doing.

Edited by ExHaseo

On 10/30/2017 at 2:56 PM, ExHaseo said:

Gamestop is definitely going to be fine, and this is a genius business tactic that is going to make them more money. Which is exactly why they're doing it. It's okay if you don't understand it, it's not your job to know how marketing works. Just trust that the marketing people know what they're doing.

I'm not convinced, actually, and while I'm no marketing genius, this moves smells of desperation more than adding the proverbial cherry on top.

Maybe it will pan out that it's a genius business tactic; like I said, I'm certainly no marketing genius. But I feel like anything that Gamestop might do with this program, Gamefly would do much better, and much more efficiently, with less resource commitment from the customer.

Edited by starcrunch061

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I'm not convinced, actually, and while I'm no marketing genius, this moves smells of desperation more than adding the proverbial cherry on top.

Maybe it will pan out that it's a genius business tactic; like I said, I'm certainly no marketing genius. But I feel like anything that Gamestop might do with this program, Gamefly would do much better, and much more efficiently, with less resource commitment from the customer.

You're not wrong. Gamestop is dying, because there was becoming fewer reasons for people to go into the store. Amazon has discounts on new games for Prime members, and guarantees release date delivery. Then you have eBay and Amazon selling used games cheaper through individual sellers. And of course you even have Best Buy with their Gamer Club Unlocked, which gets you new games for free. There was no reason to really go to Gamestop. And like I said, getting people into your store is one of the most important parts of business, and this should increase daily foot traffic by an incredible margin. So, you're not wrong when you say it's a desperate move. However, doesn't change that they still stand to make money off of it. Which is exactly why it's such a good marketing tactic.

I'm legitimately asking when I say, how is Gamefly able to do anything better and more efficiently? I've tried Gamefly on multiple occasions, and it has always been a truly terrible experience. Always took 4-5 days to get a new game, which made it so I was only able to play 1 or 2 games a month at most, which wasn't really that worth it. I was never able to get anything released relatively recently. They always sent me the bottom of the barrel stuff that I had at the bottom of my list. And they were always losing games I sent back, or they would get lost coming to me.

Most of these issues don't exist if given the option to go into the store. No waiting, you get a different game instantly. You get to choose exactly what you want to play at the time, so while you may not get anything new, you always get what you want at that moment, and can go home immediately and play it. Games can't ever get lost because everything is hand delivered. It's also $35 cheaper, so I mean, that's another big benefit.