How good is this game compared to other titles?

AJ_Radio

11 minutes ago, ManaFear said:

Been hearing it's the best AC game in years, so I'd imagine it's pretty great.

I hear it's the same Ubisoft division that made Black Flag, while other teams made Unity and Syndicate.

If it's truly good then I can't wait.

Honestly feels like AC3 and Black Flag mixed in. Feels awesome controls and combat feel different but exciting (it's not the same old parry dodge kill), map is stupidly huge which is great (so much to explore), so many side quests to do I usually smash through ac games quick but this one I'm taking my time by doing all side quests before main quests like I did with HZD.

You can also really feel the 2 years Ubisoft put jnto the game, which is a really good thing. Imho its the best AC game since Black Flag and I've nearly platinum every single AC game so far (new psn, PS3 broke can't replay AC3, and fuck lost archive dlc bullshit)

• Like 1

Currently playing it on PC ~35 hours in. 53% completed

In my opinion its the best AC ever. The climbing feels fluid, the combat is great feels like a mix of witcher/dark souls, can't say for ps4 this time but on PC the graphics are beautiful there's so much to look at.

• Like 1

Only a few hours in.

So far it seems like a good open-world game, but not really an Assassin’s Creed game.

No real verticality so far, and not much makes sense in the story. No crowds to get lost in, and no roofs to stalk people from. 

Seems very long - map is huge and there is lots to do already, so i imagine it will be a long haul.

It feels more like a cross between the Witcher and Horizon Zero Dawn (though not quite a polished as either one of those)

Graphically, its a mix. The landscape looks great, but the character models are less good. Not awful, just a bit... PS3ish? Nothing too distracting though.

The only real negative, IMO is the voice acting, which is ATROCIOUS. Probably the worst i’ve heard this generation. It almost has to be heard to be believed. I wonder if the actor strike meant they had to use non-actors or something, because seriously - it’s like school play level acting.

Generally though, I’m enjoying it so far.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So far it seems like a good open-world game, but not really an Assassin’s Creed game.

I agree with that but that's fine by me since I haven't really been this caught up in an AC game since part 2. There are more high places to stalk from as you progress. I've done plenty of air assassinations. 

• Like 1

Just now, Killbomb said:

I agree with that but that's fine by me since I haven't really been this caught up in an AC game since part 2. There are more high places to stalk from as you progress. I've done plenty of air assassinations. 

Cool cool, hope so.

i just read over my post and it seems more negative than I meant it to be!

i am actually enjoying it - I’m a long time fan of the series and this entry seems different in a lot of ways, but change isn’t always bad.

i didn’t like Black Flag at firsts, but it did grow on me.

Seriously though - the voice acting.... What the actual fuck happened?

I think I need to switch it to Egyptian and just put on English subtitles, as it is genuinely hurting my enjoyment of the game. It is un-freakin-believable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The only real negative, IMO is the voice acting, which is ATROCIOUS. Probably the worst i’ve heard this generation. It almost has to be heard to be believed. I wonder if the actor strike meant they had to use non-actors or something, because seriously - it’s like school play level acting.

Glad i'm not the only one. Not only do i agree 100% with you, even the type of accent and voice for all the characters just do not fit well at all. I mean, i burst out laughing when i first heard that kid at the camel stands talking..

• Like 2

Im about 35 hours in and in my opinion this is one of the worst AC games i have played. It does not feel like AC anymore but rather as strange mix of hack & slash with below average story telling.

The graphics are great but its all the there is - pretty picture with almost nothing else.

- I don`t mind the leveling system but whats the point? 80% of all abilities are pointless.

- loot system becomes meaningless as soon as you find or even better get legendary stuff from Ubisoft club. Then the only point of loot is selling it to upgrade your legendary items

- loot customisation is none existent except on legendaries. And even there i have only seen 3-4 different stats on 20+ legendaries i have found

- side quests are not essential and boring. You will get the bonus XP by doing locations anyway if You are going for the platinum.

- i so enjoyed going in quietly, using my sleep/berserk darts in last few AC games. Now its mostly gone. First i need to use that stupid bird just to tag enemies and then there`s only my bows to take care of enemies from distance. Most of the time i find it easier to just run in and slash everything as the hard difficulty is not that hard.

An i can go on...

So after about 30 hours i`m just bored forcing myself to finish this, get the platinum and never ever play this game again.

• Like 2

I have played every single AC game, beyond casual play, have studied the lore, and I would say I am a hardcore AC fan.  I hated every AC game after Black Flag.  I must say, this is the best AC game I have played so far.  Hoping they can build off of this character like they did with Ezio (and they should have done with Kenway)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought now that ive finished the game I’d come back to re-evaluate and clarify my eary thoughts.

the most important thing - By the time I was 20 or so hours into the game I was enjoying it immensely more. By the time I finished, I had become convinced this is one of the best entries to the series.

The world is massive and incredibly well detailled and beautiful. It really is a joy to traverse and to be in. The mission design can be a little samey, but no more than previous games.

If i have any real complaint (aside from the voice work, which - while it does get better outside of the first set of missions, is still pretty poor) it’s that the world is so sprawling and epic  that the main story missions don’t give you enough time to appreciate it all. Luckily for us completionists, the ‘Old Habits’ trophy does give that spur to explore.

I’ve played every entry in the series, and for me this one ranks right up there with the best of them. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority, I found this to be the worst AC, as a pretty huge fan of the series. Just finished the Plat... The story? Pointless. There was no legit reason to be exploring Bayek's past. Thusly, the modern day was pointless. Bayek's story itself? Lacking. So many were accused of killing his kid, I still am not sure who did it.

Oh, and for revenge being the whole story, wtf was having Caesar as the ultimate boss? Yes, because Caesar/Cleopatra were so deeply involved in killing Bayek's kid. It made even the end fight/boss/objective feel meaningless. And where the heck did the First Civ stuff come from? How did the Egyptians et al discover it? Why didn't Bayek question it when he was receiving a message from the future, for the future? How did anyone encountering such First Civ tech not lose their minds at the idea? Or not devote themselves entirely to it all? But fine, whatever.

The map was too freaking large. The gear upgrades were all pointless. Level 40 was equally so - almost the entire game took place below level 30. I used to be in love with sleeper darts and poison darts - ya know, I never used one ONCE except when I had to TAME a lion for a trophy!?!!! wtf?!??! I used to abuse those to no end in AC!!! How did I never use one in the entire, "I've now platinumed this game" time?!?

There was no quality sneaking/stealth. No actual puzzles for climbing/parkour, everything had a zillion ways to reach the top. Hell, not even any of the "follow this dude without being seen" in the main story the game usually invokes to have a "do this course perfectly" parkour session. Heck, where in past games you'd get the ultimate end game item, here it was just a glow in the dark costume/outfit from the first civ?!? Huh?

The investigations...? Holy crap, meaningless! From where I actually had to pay attention and felt like I was solving a CSI case, here you never need to listen to a word, and 90% of the time the game skips ahead before you even find all the "clues".

And, as an OCD completionist, I never thought I'd say this, but god I miss the secondary objectives - added a bit of skill and alternatives to the mix.

I'm real glad so many seem to be enjoying this game, really. But I hope to god they don't go down this road further in the future, and can't imagine what they used their extra year development time on save for making a map 10x bigger than it needed to be. It sure wasn't on the story, or details, or... Anything?

Edited by Coladar
  • Like 2

As a super fan of Assassin's Creed series, I must say that this game surprised me too much, I don't really know if I prefer this one or AC III, but one thing is for sure, both of them are my favourites.

Since I only have about 20 hours in-game and many people say this is the worst AC ever, I decided to do a list of pros and cons:

Pros:

Massive graphics and detailed features (In my opinion, the best graphics and detail ever in an AC game)

Huge map with many side quests (Many things to complete, I like it and reminds me of The Witcher 3)

Good and different RPG combat (Reminds me of Witcher 3 again and it's not like the other AC's where you get attacked by one enemy each time when surrounded by 5)

Time period (Many people like the ancient egypt right? There's not many games out there where you can experience this time period...)

Difficulty (Not really a pro, but if you are one of those guys that didn't like the fact that this game had no difficulty, well now you can adjust it for you, it's an improvement)

Weapon Rarity (Interesting system, it clearly looks like they adopted the weapon rarity system in For Honor: blue - common, purple - rare and yellow - legendary...)

Photo System (I don't remember this in any another AC game, the system is quite simple and easy to use, letting users share photos of the amazing views that the game provides)

Cons:

Leveling system and skills (Leveling looks a bit bad and many skills aren't useful at all, making you just get them to complete the skill tree)

Main Quests (The fact that you need to get a certain suggested level to complete quests, you don't really focus on the main mission enough like you used before, instead, you get swallowed by the immense open world and the variety of side quests, forts/camps, caves, etc... I actually like this because I enjoy time consuming games with many quests)

Stealth (This is nothing new, we keep seeing the stealth options getting poorer, we don't have many roofs to follow targets, we can't hide in crowds, we only hide in bushes and behind walls)

Helix Points (Of course, this is ultimate trash, but it's nothing new, they always try to profit trying to sell new dlcs, outfits, weapons, etc...)

Concluding, for me, this is one of the best AC games ever, people just don't like it because it changed many things, they tried to improve the game like when AC III came out, everyone got mad because there was no more Ezio Auditore, that's ridiculous, you just didn't adapt to the change, give the game an opportunity and enjoy it's good things.

By the way, you keep criticizing but there are some AC games far worse than this one, like AC: Revelations, Rogue and Unity.

Edited by t-i-g-o

On 31 October 2017 at 10:57 AM, Dan_WatsonAU said:

It’s great but I think some AC games got an undeserved bad rap. Syndicate was very underrated in my opinion. 

Syndicate and black flag were my favourites to I'm playing rogue at the minute but there's like 300+ collectibles? But about origins do u no if the complete all areas trophy has been patched as I've had the game since it was released but I don't wanna play it till that's sorted out info would be great.