Help me understand quantity over quality ?

Hvalpen

4 hours ago, zajac9999 said:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity

It's not an official thing though. Just basically a prototype that Sly put up whilst thinking about the exact formula he was gonna use. People didn't like this formula being used atm too much as it still rewarded people with a lot of uncommon/rare trophies quite a lot.

Also you'll notice that some of the top people are private accounts, these are just hackers but don't come off the leaderboard due to some bug in the system.

It's been there a while and there's been nothing mentioned recently about making it official so I'm doubtful it will be, a shame really imo.

I think sly really likes the idea, so I am hopeful.  I don't expect it before new years though.

I dont know if you guys are in a Platinum Collector Facebook Group on your country, but I made an excel list to calculate each platinum for each person in it, to unravel their "shame platinum".

Basically all platinum trophy have a score that varies from ultrarare and very commun (according to this site rank). Every time someone earns a ultra rare platinum, they earn 25 points. If they do an uncommun, they earn 1 point. If they do very commun (bt 70%-100%) 10 points are taken. (These are just examples)

You can see that a lot of players have a nice score, but the top player in my country, according to their score in this excel, is something around - 3000 POINTS. So you can clearly see that they can have 200 new platinum, but most of them are autopop or done in 30min...

I like this list bc I can see my own process through the years; comparing each time I made more platinum trophies, more rare platinums... For example: this year, I made 41 platinum (my top personal), BUT its one of the lowest scores I have :/ Im trying to change that in 2018 :)

Edit: all written is about my way to find out how "good" a player is. Like said before: yeap, I rather have 5 ultra rare trophies than 10 that 75% have.

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

By the way I have to say I'd say fuck off to anyone who tells me that I shouldn't be playing fun easy game like ratchet and clank or similarly easy great games or that my trophy collection is lessened by its presence.

Thats another good point .  Some games are high quality good fun games but they have easy trophies.  Some games have UR trophies because the game is so trash and grindy that no one wants to play it.  UR - common quality of trophies doesnt always say anything about quality.

• Like 1

Like a lot of people, I want a mix. Over the past month, I've spent ~40 hours grinding for a single trophy in Class of Heroes 2G. According to this site, I will be one of the first 10 people to get it and the plat. After that slog, you bet your ass I want to play something like 36 Fragments of Midnight and just pop a bunch of trophies in one go.

I don't think more than a handful of people will ever even look at my trophies, so it doesn't matter to me what they might think of them. It's just a way for me to keep track of what I've played and one day... they'll be gone. No need to spend too much time thinking about others' trophy collections.

• Like 4

Is anyone even that arsed though? I've got easy games on my profile and some tough ones. They're what I wanted to play though.

I enjoy quantity, why? Because I get to play a vast amount of different games. 

I enjoy "quality", why? Because it's a challenge sometimes. 

To be honest, I'm right in the middle. I'll play an easy game followed by a tough one and vice versa.

These kind of debates just rub me the wrong way, like people are judging others on what they play? Why? Isn't gaming meant to be fun.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

I dont know if you guys are in a Platinum Collector Facebook Group on your country, but I made an excel list to calculate each platinum for each person in it, to unravel their "shame platinum".

Basically all platinum trophy have a score that varies from ultrarare and very commun (according to this site rank). Every time someone earns a ultra rare platinum, they earn 25 points. If they do an uncommun, they earn 1 point. If they do very commun (bt 70%-100%) 10 points are taken. (These are just examples)

You can see that a lot of players have a nice score, but the top player in my country, according to their score in this excel, is something around - 3000 POINTS. So you can clearly see that they can have 200 new platinum, but most of them are autopop or done in 30min...

I like this list bc I can see my own process through the years; comparing each time I made more platinum trophies, more rare platinums... For example: this year, I made 41 platinum (my top personal), BUT its one of the lowest scores I have :/ Im trying to change that in 2018 :)

Edit: all written is about my way to find out how "good" a player is. Like said before: yeap, I rather have 5 ultra rare trophies than 10 that 75% have.

That is so awesome! I would love to see that in action on PSNProfiles!?

1 hour ago, Bullstomp said:

That is so awesome! I would love to see that in action on PSNProfiles!1f601.png

It would be nice, I guess. Since its not possible (never proposed, though), I do it manually. I just need to update it teice a year with all platinum ratings acording Psnprofiles site and take about 30min to do so :)

16 hours ago, Hvalpen said:

By this logic you should barely ask somebody anything, ever. If somebody likes an odd sport..lets say Curling then i would ask them "Why do you like curling so much?"

You took my comment a bit too literally I think mate, the main point is that you can ask questions if that's what you want to do but you already have a preconceived opinion on these people so you'll never be satisfied or swayed by any 'answer' anyway so why bother.

When it comes down to it the Top players/people who play these games don't give a shit about your opinion on what they play and you waste your own time caring so heartily about it. I talk/play with a few people high on the leaderboards and they're usually nice people that live their lives per-usual while still spending time on games, only difference between them and you is that they strategize how they play and work with others.

Not a big curling fan myself, but each to their own.

• Like 3

why we don't assemble a team of 100 persons, each one make 50 dummy acounts and get the 3 first trophies of my name is mayo, nubla and sound shapes. the platinum value will became ULTRA RARE and end this question once and for all.

P.S.

i never respected a person that try to tell me what i should or shouldn't do, so i don't care about what people might say about the games i play. i enjoy them and that is enought for me.

Edited by Facas

1 hour ago, Facas said:

why we don't assemble a team of 100 persons, each one make 50 dummy acounts and get the 3 first trophies of my name is mayo, nubla and sound shapes. the platinum value will became ULTRA RARE and end this question once and for all

Sure, let's create a metric ton of work for 100 people so one person can get a bullshit 30 min plat. What an innovative compromise!

53 minutes ago, Gage said:

If you wanted to make the PS4 version of My Name is Mayo UR you would actually have to have it be on a total of over 440,000~ accounts based on it's current number of plat achievers. Which would mean you'd need nearly 8,500 people making 50 accounts and not finishing it on them to make the plat UR. :P

ok, we can make it RARE then. ?

43 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Sure, let's create a metric ton of work for 100 people so one person can get a bullshit 30 min plat. What an innovative compromise!

you guys know that i was joking, right? ?

Edited by Facas
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Facas said:

ok, we can make it RARE then. 1f60e.png

you guys know that i was joking, right? 1f606.png

Oh yeah, I just wanted to do the 

quick maths

373954585250758657.png

I've done that before with other games. I'm a numbers guy so I find it interesting to look at stuff like that. 

One player has an account worth respecting and paying attention to, the other has an account that's a fucking meme and an expensive meme at that. 

The reason some people value quality over quantity is because it's now super easy to get 300+ plats in a year. So the amount of 'quantity' required to be respectable is just astronomical now. 

Anyone with time and money can do it. Not everyone can do super meat boy, Super street fighter, Nuclear Throne or Crypt of the Necrodancer for example. 

Anything that's easily achievable isn't respectable. Only the hard stuff gets you respect, works the same in life too. 

I look forward to the day we roast  the trophy hunting memes in our ranks.  

Nothing wrong with a few easy games here and there after completing a hard game, I can understand and relate to that. (My account is garbage thanks to that very way of behaving m8).

When you have hundreds of plats, thousands of commons and 50 URs, your account is just spam at that point. 

We should call those guys Spam Hunters going forward. 

Edited by AlphaTrash
  • Like 4

On 11.11.2017 at 7:55 AM, AlphaTrash said:

One player has an account worth respecting and paying attention to, the other has an account that's a fucking meme and an expensive meme at that. 

The reason some people value quality over quantity is because it's now super easy to get 300+ plats in a year. So the amount of 'quantity' required to be respectable is just astronomical now. 

Anyone with time and money can do it. Not everyone can do super meat boy, Super street fighter, Nuclear Throne or Crypt of the Necrodancer for example. 

Anything that's easily achievable isn't respectable. Only the hard stuff gets you respect, works the same in life too. 

Nothing wrong with a few easy games here and there after completing a hard game, I can understand and relate to that. (My account is garbage thanks to that very way of behaving m8).

When you have hundreds of plats, thousands of commons and 50 URs, your account is just spam at that point. 

We should call those guys Spam Hunters going forward. 

I agree for the most part but the last two sentences are bullshit.

you say only players with a huge amount of UR are trophy hunters?

I know many easy games with lots of UR trophies and many hard/harder games like Soulsborne or DeadSpace 2 without a single one.

You´re complaining about other people playing bad games just for very easy trophies ( I agree)

but playing bad/mediocre games just to get UR trophies isn´t better only the goal is different

I won´t play shitty games (or games Im not interested in)  to get UR trophies and I wont play shitty games to get 200 plats with 70%+ rarity, thats it

IMO a trophy hunter is a person who appreciates  (very) good games and tries to complete the games he likes/enjoys.

When trophies are more important than the game itself ( trophies too hard/easy) then you are a "Spam Hunter"

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

I know many easy games with lots of UR trophies and many hard/harder games like Soulsborne or DeadSpace 2 without a single one.

This in combination with my comment earlier:

On 10/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, Superbuu3 said:

By the way I have to say I'd say fuck off to anyone who tells me that I shouldn't be playing fun easy game like ratchet and clank or similarly easy great games or that my trophy collection is lessened by its presence.

I think sums it all up. Fact is your actions are dictated by other peoples opinions in both circumstances. Just game and don't give a fuck and life will be a lot more fun.

Trophy hunter and trophy whore are both terms made to make trophies sound cool and dumb, personally I thought Gamer always had a better ring to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

I agree for the most part but the last two sentences are bullshit.

You´re complaining about other people playing bad games just for very easy trophies ( I agree)

but playing bad/mediocre games just to get UR trophies isn´t better only the goal is different

I won´t play shitty games (or games Im not interested in)  to get UR trophies and I wont play shitty games to get 200 plats with 70%+ rarity, thats it

IMO a trophy hunter is a person who appreciates  (very) good games and tries to complete the games he likes/enjoys.

When trophies are more important than the game itself ( trophies too hard/easy) then you are a "Spam Hunter"

Not complaining at all, more just mocking shit trophy hunters. 

Call it bullshit all you want. They're spam hunters, they have shit trophy collections, shit accounts and probably play with a team or spends thousands on Japanese imports. 

If they enjoy having shit accounts, all power to them. I'm not saying don't do it. Do whatever you find fun, just don't expect not to be judged for whatever you find fun. 

If fun in this case means blowing thousands of dollars on shit games so you can attain 100 spam plats in 4 months, go right ahead; but you're spam hunter. 

Furthermore, I'm not saying spam hunters aren't trophy hunters. They are trophy hunters; their accounts just aren't worth paying attention to unless you fancy a cheeky little chuckle m8, that's all. 

"When trophies are more important than the game itself ( trophies too hard/easy) then you are a "Spam Hunter" " Yeah, you can say that all you want, but you'd never consider super meat boy and elder scrolls online to be spam, so that doesn't work. 

"That guy has super meat boy and ESO?" Probably just enjoys hunting spam."

"That guy has my name is mayo x3, top rated and 43 visual novels? Probably just enjoys hunting spam" 

One makes sense and the other does not. 

7 minutes ago, AlphaTrash said:

"That guy has my name is mayo x3, top rated and 43 visual novels? Probably just enjoys hunting spam" 

In all fairness most of what he said made sense, I'm not sure if the definition of 'spam' is used differently elsewhere. I think his main point was people try to attain trophies that are rare just as much as they try to accumulate a huge quantity of trophies. Both aren't a natural reflection of what that persons gaming habits woud be without trophies. Although maybe I missed the point.

I always assumed people who had purely ultra rare trophy lists, were playing games on other accounts or skipping out on fun games because of their rarity, both kind of defeat the purpose of a trophy profile as its not a true representation of that person.

EDIT: is the site fucking up posts for anyone else? I keep double posting.

Edited by Superbuu3

59 minutes ago, AlphaTrash said:

Not complaining at all, more just mocking shit trophy hunters. 

Call it bullshit all you want. They're spam hunters, they have shit trophy collections, shit accounts and probably play with a team or spends thousands on Japanese imports. 

If they enjoy having shit accounts, all power to them. I'm not saying don't do it. Do whatever you find fun, just don't expect not to be judged for whatever you find fun. 

If fun in this case means blowing thousands of dollars on shit games so you can attain 100 spam plats in 4 months, go right ahead; but you're spam hunter. 

Furthermore, I'm not saying spam hunters aren't trophy hunters. They are trophy hunters; their accounts just aren't worth paying attention to unless you fancy a cheeky little chuckle m8, that's all. 

"When trophies are more important than the game itself ( trophies too hard/easy) then you are a "Spam Hunter" " Yeah, you can say that all you want, but you'd never consider super meat boy and elder scrolls online to be spam, so that doesn't work. 

Like I wrote earlier, I understand you , yes SMB, necromancer deserve much more respect than mayo, etc, no questions.

Lets say you have 100 plats in games like soulsborne, deadspace2 ....-> you have 0 UR trophies, but the plats are not easy

On the other side there a many easy games with 5-6 UR per list.

You say only players with lots of UR/VR are (real) trophy hunters, do you see what I want to say?

You´re playing lots of challenging games, I respect that but many are only ok/mediocre games, it seems like you are avoiding good ones because the lists are too easy.

I just want to know where you set the border, it sounds like everyone without tons of UR isnt a (real) trophy hunter, just a spammer

I have  no mayo, nubla, VN plats or double plats,  but only 33 UR out of 4000 trophies ( almost every AAA game with ca 50 trophies has 10-20 commons)

So you mean gamers like me ( atleast 50-60% of the gamers here) are Spam hunters as well?

49 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

In all fairness most of what he said made sense, I'm not sure if the definition of 'spam' is used differently elsewhere. I think his main point was people try to attain trophies that are rare just as much as they try to accumulate a huge quantity of trophies. Both aren't a natural reflection of what that persons gaming habits woud be without trophies. Although maybe I missed the point.

I always assumed people who had purely ultra rare trophy lists, were playing games on other accounts or skipping out on fun games because of their rarity, both kind of defeat the purpose of a trophy profile as its not a true representation of that person.

EDIT: is the site fucking up posts for anyone else? I keep double posting.

100% this

Edited by GoDBoss173

On 11/11/2017 at 6:55 AM, AlphaTrash said:

Then you don't understand trophy hunting at all; it's about numbers, pure & simple.

This is very different to Completionists, who have to 100% every game they play. They are the skilled players who deserve our respect, but it's just silly to complain about people who like to aim for a large trophy haul, when we are really only talking about meaningless awards designed to make us play/buy more games or play more of the games we already own.

• Like 3