Help me understand quantity over quality ?

Hvalpen

3 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

For those curious, for Easy platinums that are not trash, I would recommend the classics Arcade Collection and The Sexy Brutale, those I got the platinum recently, and are very enjoyable and easy.

I definitely recommend the Arcade Game Series. At first I felt that Pacman and Dig Dig weren't going to be that enjoyable. However I found the games to be fairly fun. 

Horizon Zero Dawn as most people know is a game that is fairly easy, but still pretty enjoyable. 

People like Stay Pationt mostly seem to focus on "trash" games that people mostly get for trophies. I will admit I have some of these games, but in the past couple months I have been focusing on games that present more of a challenge rather than just something a little kid can finish and earn the platinum in. 

While we're on this topic I will also like to add that non platinum games don't equal easy and boring either. There are some great non platinum titles out there that more people should try out and play through. Unfortunately they generally don't get as good of a reputation simply because they lack a platinum trophy. Trophy hunting isn't always going after platinums.

3 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

I think the intent is clear in many lists, I can accept you saying you enjoyed playing the Telltale games, Stein gate and all that, but playing those games 6 times, that can't be enjoyable right?1f615.png

If you space it out, you can definitely enjoy it. I've been redoing the telltale games and visual novels with a few months/years in between or waiting to replay them until a sequel comes out. It's like rewatching a movie/tv show you like. That fits in to what you said later in your post, context matters.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Now, Pier Solar on the other hand, is a very easy game, but a brutal plat, because they added a single, non-essential minigame to the list. You either beat that minigame (TWICE), or you don't get the plat.

That only actually applies to Pier Solar because of all the nice QoL options they added to the game when the patched it. Originally the rpg part was beyond brutal because there wasn't NG+, wasn't the option to turn off random encounters, etc. Main trophies were equally as hard as Slippery Game before they added that stuff in that make the normal rpg trophies way easier. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Demon--Prototype said:

Im suprised to hear it got boring, with it looking so pretty and all lol and i agree, few games get the trophy requirements right to find the 100% journey enjoyable.

But don't you find when you're playing nothing else, sometimes, it becomes a bit stale? Same thing happened to me with the excellent Horizons:ZD. I felt I was ODing on it, so I took a break to play a few 'fillers' & went back refreshed. I'm back into AC:O now I've grabbed another plat' & levelled up. I'll probably push on for the plat' now. ;)

• Like 2

There used to be times when we just played games repeatedly because they were fun. I just installed Doom 3 BFG edition and have been playing Doom 1 just going through the levels not even caring about trophies at this point. I used to do that when I was a teenager and it is still fun today.

So when you can replay a game you liked AND get some extra trophies AND support a game developer with an extra purchase because you enjoy their games... I don't see how that could possibly be a bad thing. Even more so with the Telltale games. I deliberately made different choices in my Walking Dead Series 1 walkthroughs on PS3 and Vita to see different parts of the game and get trophies too. The first time I tried to be a good guy and in the second I deliberately tried to be an asshole. It was great :)

I also just started WRC4 on my PS3 some months after finishing it on my Vita. It's a different experience on a bigger screen and I am having lots of fun again.

But there is one thing you can be sure of: when I play a game twice it is because I liked it. I don't think I am masochistic enough to play through a game I dislike multiple times, just for the trophies. Maybe I will grind it the one playthrough so that I can at least be proud that I stuck with it, but then it's goodbye to the game and let's find something better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xemik said:

But don't you find when you're playing nothing else, sometimes, it becomes a bit stale? Same thing happened to me with the excellent Horizons:ZD. I felt I was ODing on it, so I took a break to play a few 'fillers' & went back refreshed. I'm back into AC:O now I've grabbed another plat' & levelled up. I'll probably push on for the plat' now. ;)

I find it really hard to just play one game all the time, I usually flick between at least two at a time if not more. Any open world games pretty much fall into this category. Its way too hard to just focus on it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xemik said:

Well i think iv'e platted 24 games since i started Need for Speed so yeah, good call ? 

Come to think of it, i dont think i've ever started and finished a game without starting another one in between..

Just now, Superbuu3 said:

I find it really hard to just play one game all the time, I usually flick between at least two at a time if not more. Any open world games pretty much fall into this category. Its way too hard to just focus on it.

Exactly.. and for this reason i think its quite difficult categorizing people in one or the other..

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tesla_Rules said:

I was totally in awe of the people at the top of the leaderboard.  I thought "wow, I wish I had enough time and money to play all these games and be halfway good at them". I'll never be this good, damn.

Then the realization that that quite a few of these games were the same ones, but on different platforms, some could be finished or plat in less than an hour, etc, etc.  It put it in perspective: you don't have to be the best player in the world to have 1M trophies, just play a bunch of games!  Made me smile and I stopped beating myself up over it. Now I just game when I can, whether it takes me 2 days or 2 months to finish a game. 

I suppose we could have a leaderboard with only certain games allowed on it due to complexity or difficulty.  But, that takes away the fun factor.

Same, man. When I checked the #1 ranked player I was so disappointed and felt sorry for the guy. Having to play so much shit to stay on top.

I mean, I doubt he can find ALL those games fun and judging by the dates he never takes a break (unless its several people using the same account).

Still, I never cared for the ranks or the trophy rarity, I play what I feel like plating at the time. After finishing an 140 hours platinum that I enjoyed every second of but required paying attention and keeping track of things (Tales of Vesperia), I went to a very mindless one to listen to podcasts and relax (Senran Kagura). That's pretty much how it works for me. Although I would NEVER play boring, trash games with no redeemable quality for a platinum. I feel like that would be a stain in my list.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gage said:

That only actually applies to Pier Solar because of all the nice QoL options they added to the game when the patched it.Originally the rpg part was beyond brutal because there wasn't NG+, wasn't the option to turn off random encounters, etc. Main trophies were equally as hard as Slippery Game before they added that stuff in that make the normal rpg trophies way easier. 

Academic, because the plat wasn't even possible until the patch, due to the glitched shopping trophies. I disagree with you as well (turning off random encounters definitely helped for the "Fight only required battles" trophy, but not for much else), but even if I didn't, it doesn't change the fact that Pier Solar is now a very easy game with a brutal plat.

Edited by starcrunch061

I like quality plats.

I have projects for myself like - one trophy per day at least, just to find out if I can arrange and plan my day to beat that assignment. I collect plats in Lego and Final Fantasy, just to have them all completed.

but I understand every kind of trophy hunting. Have some novels and multy pops myself. I like it when a trophy pops. I like raising my numbers. I have a big heart for trash as long as the gameplay is okay and doesn't suck. I love stories, so I do kind of enjoy novels for what they are either.

What I find silly is the need to tell someone that his or her way of enjoying the hunt is not logical or is even whory.

Give this a thought:

My favorite thing is to throw my thoroughly collected and well-assorted pokemon trading cards, thousands of them, into a big box, shuffle them and start to order them back into their binders.

silly, I know right?

why would I do that? Why do you care?

But to be fair: the only thing that can be annoying is that a top leader, collecting 90% novels and multy-pops, "pays to win" (I still don't judge that) and kind of "weakens" the leaderbord. But. There were never rules for that, thats just in your head, bc these are just numbers. It's what YOU think about it that spoils it and not what the person actually did.

you just won't get clear numbers but is that necessary? maybe it is for some ppl just frustrating that they are farther away from the top than they believe should actually be. but still, thats just cosmetic.

if that sounds weird Im sorry, I AM weird. and german btw, so maybe I failed the laguage :D Have a nice day!

Edited by Ai-ds_low
  • Like 1

No 5th on the leaderboard, 1st in Germany has a blog.

I have read his blogpost about getting the 1000th Platinum. It gives kind of an insight, why somebody would grind so hard.

He even said himself, that getting from 930 to 1000 Platinum, he played a alot of Novels and it was less fun than playing AAA titles. I didnt check his previous platinums, so i dont know how the heck he even got to 930 platinums.

From my own experience, I only can say, that reaching for the top in any leaderboard is useless. The biggest factor is time (+ money in this case). Sure the better you are the faster you get shit done, but in the end it always comes down to time. And if you wanna keep that "sweet" spot, you need to keep grinding like hell, because there is ALWAYS this one guy, who wants to surpass you. Not worth it, IMO. 

At least this leaderboard is free of hackers/cheaters. This is not the case in most games nowadays, especially when the game gets older.

----

I only play games, I'm really interested in. No need for easy games, remastered versions ( which ive already played ) and so on, just for a platinum.

But as many already said, do what ever you wanna do.

Your Life, Your Time, Your Money.

1 minute ago, Mori-101 said:

I only play games, I'm really interested in. No need for easy games, remastered versions ( which ive already played ) and so on, just for a platinum.

But as many already said, do what ever you wanna do.

Your Life, Your Time, Your Money.

I could have had many more plats if I'd replayed those games I'd already got on PS3 (TT games in particular), but I have a policy of not revisiting old games I've already completed (unless it's a cross-buy and/or I get the PS4 version free with PS+).

Metro Redux as one of those, in reverse. Last Light was free on PS3 & I really enjoyed it, so I bought Redux because it included 2033 & it would have been dumb not to play Last Light again - especially as it was easier on PS4. Borderlands is the only other game where I've done this, but mainly because I never actually completed it on PS3 & the Handsome Collection cross-save helped me get a head start on the PS4. :D

My trophy hunting is generally based around new experiences, so I don't see the point of spending time & money on old stuff simply to boost a relatively unimportant counter.

I too generally only play games I'm interested in, which is why most PS+ games these days get deleted after a quick try out. Although, I'm not averse to the odd easy game for a simple plat'. ? And I must confess that a few on my TL are there because I regularly play co-op games with my 9yo daughter. ;)

7 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

I wonder what my list means.

I have a few games that might be considered grindy lol

So yea I don't follow this logic. I play what I want.

Hell I still don't have the Murdered Soul Suspect plat. Does that mean I didn't beat the story?

Where there's a point there's an arguement. Anyone who judges you on your trophy list is a twat. I mean sure be positive and compliment if you like what they've done, but anything else just comes aacross as douchey.

Playing what you want is always the best solution. In this instance its the equivalent of just be yourself.

I didn't bother looking at your trophy list, but i've beaten Soul Suspect and that had collectibles so beating the story does not mean a platinum.

6 hours ago, Xemik said:

I could have had many more plats if I'd replayed those games I'd already got on PS3 (TT games in particular), but I have a policy of not revisiting old games I've already completed (unless it's a cross-buy and/or I get the PS4 version free with PS+).

I usually do the same, but I actually sold my Deadpool PS3 while it was worth a lot when it got delisted and now the PS4 version is getting delisted, gonna buy it for a fiver. Totally worth it for me I quite liked the game. I really hope that now PS4 is more lie a pc we'll have all games compatible with future iterations of the console.

This has turned into quite the thread! Been around for wayy longer than I anticipated! Kudos! :highfive:

I have to ask 

@Hvalpen do you have an answer to your question that makes sense yet?

Or what it really is; have you come up with your own answer yet. Sense that's what truly matters when asking a question like this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dav9834 said:

Or what it really is; have you come up with your own answer yet. Sense that's what truly matters when asking a question like this. 

This wins cheesiest comment of the thread award, shame its a typo. Completely right though.

Edited by Superbuu3

7 hours ago, Xemik said:

I regularly play co-op games with my 9yo daughter. ;)

Same.

Some of the games on my TL are there because my son and I used to play together before he had his own account, so I can relate.

Wouldn't it be great (never happen tho) if there was a way that Sony could keep multiple players from collecting trophies on the same account?  So you could get a truer idea of what a gamer (or several sitting in the same room, LoL) is capable of.

18 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

There used to be times when we just played games repeatedly because they were fun. I just installed Doom 3 BFG edition and have been playing Doom 1 just going through the levels not even caring about trophies at this point. I used to do that when I was a teenager and it is still fun today.

Most people still don't. A good majority just play a game like Call of Duty WWII only because their friends got it, or they want to jump into multiplayer and play for fun.

I care about trophies because they give me an incentive to accomplish something, whereas in the past I would just play a game until the story ended and be done with it. Runescape was the game that started my obsession with stats and numbers. Since I no longer play that game, trophy hunting has replaced that incentive with goals to strive for. Even if they happen to be games I normally wouldn't play.

16 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Same, man. When I checked the #1 ranked player I was so disappointed and felt sorry for the guy. Having to play so much shit to stay on top.

I mean, I doubt he can find ALL those games fun and judging by the dates he never takes a break (unless its several people using the same account).

Still, I never cared for the ranks or the trophy rarity, I play what I feel like plating at the time.

And even when someone does work hard to get the #1 rank, someone else may just as well beat their time.

Getting #1 or #2 rank or whatever in fastest achievers on said game is absolutely pointless. Being on the first achievers list isn't much better. You're always going to have people like Powerpyx and Brian (PS4trophies) who get their games a week ahead of time, that's why a lot of the games they played they were one of the first people to earn the platinum. Getting to be #1 in a blockbuster AAA game is pretty much impossible unless you are lucky enough to get a copy of that game early. Plus there is the risk that some trophies can be glitched, which has happened in games like Horizon Zero Dawn, making it even more pointless to try to be one of the first people with the platinum.

Play what you want, when you want. Having fun with the games you wish to play is all that really matters.

10 hours ago, Mori-101 said:

No 5th on the leaderboard, 1st in Germany has a blog.

I have read his blogpost about getting the 1000th Platinum. It gives kind of an insight, why somebody would grind so hard.

He even said himself, that getting from 930 to 1000 Platinum, he played a alot of Novels and it was less fun than playing AAA titles. I didnt check his previous platinums, so i dont know how the heck he even got to 930 platinums.

From my own experience, I only can say, that reaching for the top in any leaderboard is useless. The biggest factor is time (+ money in this case). Sure the better you are the faster you get shit done, but in the end it always comes down to time. And if you wanna keep that "sweet" spot, you need to keep grinding like hell, because there is ALWAYS this one guy, who wants to surpass you. Not worth it, IMO. 

At least this leaderboard is free of hackers/cheaters. This is not the case in most games nowadays, especially when the game gets older.

People should go at their own pace, regardless of what others think. If someone is very fast with the games they play, more power to them. I honestly couldn't care less.

A lot of the people on the first page are those from Hong Kong and Germany who just stack those Japanese novels because they are the fastest platinums out there that you can earn en masse. Problem is those novels are very expensive to import. I can imagine that Roughdawg4 has plenty of money stashed in his bank accounts to maintain that #1 rank. Most of the games I see on his list are complete utter trash. Basically such titles like Orc Slayer and Nubla, only hundreds more of those kind of games completed than what I've managed to finish. Playing through such trash once was more than enough.

Japanese novels cost around the same if not more than AAA games at launch. Would you rather play a game like The Evil Within 2 or Wolfenstein II and feel proud you earned those platinums? Or would you play two Japanese import novels that cost you around $120 - 150 that you can finish both in less than a hour?

Personally, I take the former.

Edited by Spaz

On 11/14/2017 at 5:42 AM, pinkrobot_pb said:

There used to be times when we just played games repeatedly because they were fun.

True. I was one of those as well, but with trophies, why not have the cake and eat it, too?

I'm double-platting Axiom Verge right now, and will add that to a list that includes Demon's Souls (which I've actually platted 5 times, with 2 on my wife's account), Dark Souls 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Pier Solar, Dragon Age, Dynasty Warriors (only partially autopopped), and My Name is Mayo (without a speck of shame), and a couple I'm forgetting (Sound Shapes does NOT count, since the trophies there were fully autopopped on PS4 and Vita). 

With the exception of Axiom Verge, I only paid for each of those games once, but got maximum enjoyment out of them.

12 hours ago, Bilpe said:

Same.

Some of the games on my TL are there because my son and I used to play together before he had his own account, so I can relate.

Wouldn't it be great (never happen tho) if there was a way that Sony could keep multiple players from collecting trophies on the same account?  So you could get a truer idea of what a gamer (or several sitting in the same room, LoL) is capable of.

There is a way, create a sub-account. My daughter has her profile on my account, so earns all her own trophies.

Last year in a PS4 trophy community there was a similar discussion to thread & one vocal poster flamed me for mentioning my Complentionist friend. Basically, he refused to believe anyone could 100% their TL & demanded I provide my friend's PSN as proof. Of course, I didn't, but the thing that made me laugh was that he was on level 3 with no plats, but my 8yo daughter was level 4 with 4 plats.

I'm guessing that because he couldn't 100% his TL, he assumed nobody else could. I'm never going to have 100% for many reason, not least because I'm not good enough to on every game I play, but I'm sure not going to miss out playing games I enjoy simply because it'll show <100% when I move on.

My son's sub-account was attached to mine till he was 18! Only took Sony TEN+ years to allow sub-accounts to be taken over when their owner turned 16. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

True. I was one of those as well, but with trophies, why not have the cake and eat it, too?

I'm double-platting Axiom Verge right now, and will add that to a list that includes Demon's Souls (which I've actually platted 5 times, with 2 on my wife's account), Dark Souls 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Pier Solar, Dragon Age, Dynasty Warriors (only partially autopopped), and My Name is Mayo (without a speck of shame), and a couple I'm forgetting (Sound Shapes does NOT count, since the trophies there were fully autopopped on PS4 and Vita). 

With the exception of Axiom Verge, I only paid for each of those games once, but got maximum enjoyment out of them.

Some people claim that is impossivel for you to have fun doing the the same platinum again. or play the ps3 and ps4 versions of the same game. but the true is that you can have fun finishing the same game 2 or 3 times.

• Like 2