The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

15 hours ago, Redgrave said:

The Phantom Menace in theaters

I'm envious. The SW movies I got to see theatrically were episodes 7, 8, 9, and Rogue One.

the iconic podrace scene

Yeah, I don't understand the hate either. This set piece was better than anything in The Force Awakens, for example.

the two halves of his body fell into a melting pit to be instantly incinerated with no chance of recovery

And he definitely didn't return 3 more times 😁.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Slava said:

I'm envious. The SW movies I got to see theatrically were episodes 7, 8, 9, and Rogue One.

Yeah, I don't understand the hate either. This set piece was better than anything in The Force Awakens, for example.

And he definitely didn't return 3 more times 😁.

It was re-released for it's 25'th anniversary at least over here. I feel like the theater chain that's convenient for me doesn't normally get re-releases like some others seem to so it would be nice if the other prequels and the originals got re-releases. Funny enough there was an advertisement for the Lord of the Rings trilogy getting a re-release next month but the wording made it sound like they would only be available for three days which I hope isn't the case since I would like to try and see those but I try to get times where they aren't really busy since I don't want to deal with bad seating and/or an annoying crowd.

Yeah, the podrace felt like a simple but interesting idea that added something new. It's too bad we only got a couple games based on it since I could see a pretty fun current-gen game coming from it with all sorts of different tracks and pod customization with an online mode to see how other players make their own pods. It's also unfortunate that the Will of the Force had to conspire against Ben Quadinaros to make his pod malfunction otherwise he would have undoubtedly floored the other racers. I bet quadruple on Quadinaros!

Maul coming back is one of those things that I think just works best as a "what if" kind of thing that is cool on paper but actually doing it brings up a lot of issues. I feel like he served his purpose in the overall story and I just think he works better as being a henchman that Sidious could throw at a problem and leave no survivors like he does in pre-TPM stories. Not to mention all the changes made to his background story which made things really convoluted. It's also too bad we didn't get to see that M rated Darth Maul game although I would have preferred it if it took place before TPM as opposed to after like they intended it to.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2024 at 4:17 PM, Redgrave said:

It was re-released for it's 25'th anniversary at least over here.

Man, that’s awesome, it must have been so nostalgic for you! I enjoyed reading your thoughts about it on the last page and it got me taking a stroll down memory lane myself here..

I saw The Phantom Menace in theatres as a little kid and it was just a totally surreal experience — it completely blew my tiny little pea brain! I think part of the reason was that it was one of the first (possibly even the first.. 🤔) movies that I ever saw in theatres.

I remember sitting on the couch one morning with my brothers watching one of our Star Wars VHS tapes for the umpteenth time when my Dad came in and announced that he had a surprise, he was going to take us to see the new Star Wars movie in theatres when it came out. I remember us all screaming and jumping on the couch and hugging my Dad and screaming some more at the top of our lungs like it was Christmas morning.

The movie itself was totally epic. I thought Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi Wan were the coolest Jedis I’d ever seen in their long, flowing robes. Darth Maul was absolutely terrifying as the villain. And everything from the costumes, to the CGI effects, to the incredible set pieces were amazing. The music was so memorable too and still remains in my head note-for-note to this day.

And my god, the lightsaber choreography was absolutely insane compared to the weak battles from the previous 3 films, especially with Darth Maul’s double-sided blade swinging in every direction as he took on both Jedis at once without breaking a sweat. You can tell the actors did a ton of training & practice with their weapons. The big showdown in the underground chamber with the power generators and all the sky walkways made for an incredible set piece and that entire fight was just a dazzling spectacle to my tiny mind and was by far the most epic fight I’d ever seen.

I still vividly remember the moment Obi Wan gets trapped between the laser walls and has to watch in horror as his mentor is killed. There were a lot of loud gasps and I actually yelled “NOO” out loud in the theatres because it caught me by surprise. I remember how my heart was pounding as Obi Wan and Darth Maul stared each other down through the lasers, with Darth Maul taunting him and inviting him to lose control of his emotions. And when he finishes him off and his body splits in half as it falls into the abyss, I was speechless lmao.

And of course, I cannot end these ramblings without mentioning the pod race sequence!

On 5/13/2024 at 2:37 PM, Slava said:

I don’t get the hate for this film. But honestly, I can understand how modern audiences, especially younger kids seeing TPM for the first time in this modern era would not appreciate stuff like the pod racing scene as much. Film and computer technology has advanced so rapidly in the last 25 years that it wouldn’t feel as impressive these days compared to all the other crazy films and television scenes out there. In 1999 thought that shit was mind blowing. 🤣

I feel bad for these kids though because they will never know how hard that whole sequence slapped back then in 1999! Seeing it in theatres with the volume cranked up, FEELING the rumbling of the pod engines in your seat, hearing the hissing of air brakes and whine of hyperthrusters as they shifted gears. All those first-person angles where Anakin’s pod is speeding through tight canyons and across open deserts making you feel like you’re actually in the cockpit and moving at 700/mph. And just the whole intensity of the scene, knowing everything that was at stake with that race, how Sebulba sabotaged his pod etc. It was one of the greatest set pieces ever and one of my favourite parts of the movie.

My brothers and I got that Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer game on PC for Christmas one year and we played the everloving crap out of it for years. It was cool getting to revisit it here on PS4 awhile back!

Well, shit.

I didn’t mean to write so much but mannnn, I could never hate this film. It’s not perfect, but it had such an impact on me as a little kid and was the peak of my Star Wars obsession back then. I’m glad to see a few other people appreciate it as much as I do! I’ve kinda lost my interest in Star Wars a bit in the modern era, but I’ll always remember the prequels fondly and hold TPM as one of my all time fav Star Wars movies. 😁

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Slava said:

With the full film in mind, I understand some criticisms. Jar Jar bumbling around in a battle was too much, and maybe some acting and line delivery was off (I wouldn't know, the RU dub was great). I could inderstand the complaint about Anakin originating from the same planet as Luke, and the two droids' origins being retconned, although it's not a big deal to me. But the political aspect and the podrace scene deserve the hate the least IMO. At least everyone can agree that the music is untouchable, it's perfect.

But who know, maybe I would have looked at the prequels differently if I had grown up being the original trilogy fan in the 80's.

Personally I think some of those complaints are a little nitpicky and probably more of a big deal to the most hardcore fans rather than the average kid like me who watched the movie. But you totally got me with Jar Jar Binks… it’s impossible to defend him lol.😂

When I saw The Phantom Menace all those years ago I was a very young kid and probably right in the target audience for that character. I don’t really remember having very strong feelings about him one way or the other, for the most part just thought that he was goofy and mildly entertaining. As you grow a little older and rewatch the film though, he quickly becomes very annoying, and eventually insufferable on subsequent watches. It’s not enough to spoil the film (for me at least), but it does make you wonder how much better the film would be if he was removed and they allowed the film to have a more serious tone.

I think the criticism of some of the acting is fair too. Again, this is stuff that totally flies over your head when you’re a kid and within the target audience of the film, but looking at the prequels now there’s no doubt a lot of the acting in them is really bad. Particularly Jake Lloyd, Natalie Portman, and Hayden Christensen in the latter films. The writing and dialogue sure didn’t do them any favours though so it’s hard to blame them completely, especially when we know that Natalie Portman (who was among the most critisized) went on to have an incredible career in Hollywood working as a serious actor.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Man, that’s awesome, it must have been so nostalgic for you! I enjoyed reading your thoughts about it on the last page and it got me taking a stroll down memory lane myself here..

I saw The Phantom Menace in theatres as a little kid and it was just a totally surreal experience — it completely blew my tiny little pea brain! I think part of the reason was that it was one of the first (possibly even the first.. 🤔) movies that I ever saw in theatres.

I remember sitting on the couch one morning with my brothers watching one of our Star Wars VHS tapes for the umpteenth time when my Dad came in and announced that he had a surprise, he was going to take us to see the new Star Wars movie in theatres when it came out. I remember us all screaming and jumping on the couch and hugging my Dad and screaming some more at the top of our lungs like it was Christmas morning.

The movie itself was totally epic. I thought Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi Wan were the coolest Jedis I’d ever seen in their long, flowing robes. Darth Maul was absolutely terrifying as the villain. And everything from the costumes, to the CGI effects, to the incredible set pieces were amazing. The music was so memorable too and still remains in my head note-for-note to this day.

And my god, the lightsaber choreography was absolutely insane compared to the weak battles from the previous 3 films, especially with Darth Maul’s double-sided blade swinging in every direction as he took on both Jedis at once without breaking a sweat. You can tell the actors did a ton of training & practice with their weapons. The big showdown in the underground chamber with the power generators and all the sky walkways made for an incredible set piece and that entire fight was just a dazzling spectacle to my tiny mind and was by far the most epic fight I’d ever seen.

I still vividly remember the moment Obi Wan gets trapped between the laser walls and has to watch in horror as his mentor is killed. There were a lot of loud gasps and I actually yelled “NOO” out loud in the theatres because it caught me by surprise. I remember how my heart was pounding as Obi Wan and Darth Maul stared each other down through the lasers, with Darth Maul taunting him and inviting him to lose control of his emotions. And when he finishes him off and his body splits in half as it falls into the abyss, I was speechless lmao.

And of course, I cannot end these ramblings without mentioning the pod race sequence!

I don’t get the hate for this film. But honestly, I can understand how modern audiences, especially younger kids seeing TPM for the first time in this modern era would not appreciate stuff like the pod racing scene as much. Film and computer technology has advanced so rapidly in the last 25 years that it wouldn’t feel as impressive these days compared to all the other crazy films and television scenes out there. In 1999 thought that shit was mind blowing. 🤣

I feel bad for these kids though because they will never know how hard that whole sequence slapped back then in 1999! Seeing it in theatres with the volume cranked up, FEELING the rumbling of the pod engines in your seat, hearing the hissing of air brakes and whine of hyperthrusters as they shifted gears. All those first-person angles where Anakin’s pod is speeding through tight canyons and across open deserts making you feel like you’re actually in the cockpit and moving at 700/mph. And just the whole intensity of the scene, knowing everything that was at stake with that race, how Sebulba sabotaged his pod etc. It was one of the greatest set pieces ever and one of my favourite parts of the movie.

My brothers and I got that Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer game on PC for Christmas one year and we played the everloving crap out of it for years. It was cool getting to revisit it here on PS4 awhile back!

Well, shit.

I didn’t mean to write so much but mannnn, I could never hate this film. It’s not perfect, but it had such an impact on me as a little kid and was the peak of my Star Wars obsession back then. I’m glad to see a few other people appreciate it as much as I do! I’ve kinda lost my interest in Star Wars a bit in the modern era, but I’ll always remember the prequels fondly and hold TPM as one of my all time fav Star Wars movies. 😁

It was a nice trip through nostalgia lane yeah :D That's awesome you got to see it in theaters back when it came out though. In hindsight I wish I did but like I said I had a thing where I tended to avoid theaters if I could help it among other things that happened around that time that were a lot for a kid to deal with so I don't think I was really aware of the hype around it. I do remember that my dad did take me to the theater around the time and he offered between Star Wars, Inspector Gadget, and something else that I forget and I must have said Inspector Gadget for whatever reason because that's what we wound up going to instead and I don't really remember much about it :P I do remember when it came out on VHS though my mother got it before I came home from school that day and we watched it together, so it wound up becoming a nice memory in its own way anyway.

For the choreography yeah, it was really cool seeing them fight the way they did and I never really got the complaints about them, especially since I feel like people singled out the prequels as opposed to The Matrix or pretty much any other movie that had a lot of choreography at the time and it didn't make sense to me. There is this moment in the Maul and Obi-Wan fight that has always stuck with me because of how fluid it looks and the specific sounds to match it. I don't really know how to describe it other than it's like hearing the perfect beat to a song that you don't forget and it's just so crispy.

As far as the special effects I definitely think a lot of CG from the 90's and 2000's look good still. Sure, you can tell it's CG a lot of the time but I feel like they do well to blend CG and practical effects together to where it's a nice enough middle ground and it's hard to really say why exactly especially compared to some movies today where the CG is blatantly obvious.

But yeah, in general I just feel like the time when the prequels were coming out were really special because it felt like we were being drip-fed all sorts of good Star Wars games and other media as each movie came out and it all felt like there was this buildup to Revenge of the Sith even if there were things that took place way before or after like KOTOR and Jedi Outcast or the many novels and comics that were coming out. It really felt like a "you had to be there" kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Slava said:

With the full film in mind, I understand some criticisms. Jar Jar bumbling around in a battle was too much, and maybe some acting and line delivery was off (I wouldn't know, the RU dub was great). I could inderstand the complaint about Anakin originating from the same planet as Luke, and the two droids' origins being retconned, although it's not a big deal to me. But the political aspect and the podrace scene deserve the hate the least IMO. At least everyone can agree that the music is untouchable, it's perfect.

But who knows, maybe I would have looked at the prequels differently if I had grown up being the original trilogy fan in the 80's.

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Personally I think some of those complaints are a little nitpicky and probably more of a big deal to the most hardcore fans rather than the average kid like me who watched the movie. But you totally got me with Jar Jar Binks… it’s impossible to defend him lol.😂

When I saw The Phantom Menace all those years ago I was a very young kid and probably right in the target audience for that character. I don’t really remember having very strong feelings about him one way or the other, for the most part just thought that he was goofy and mildly entertaining. As you grow a little older and rewatch the film though, he quickly becomes very annoying, and eventually insufferable on subsequent watches. It’s not enough to spoil the film (for me at least), but it does make you wonder how much better the film would be if he was removed and they allowed the film to have a more serious tone.

I never really had a problem with Jar Jar and even today I find him kind of funny even if not every joke lands. I do feel like people were a bit harsh on him even if I do get how they could find him annoying though. But I think now I kind of see him as a way to give Qui-Gon some character and at the same time teach Obi-Wan a lesson in that despite Jar Jar being clumsy and annoying, he was still a living being that was well meaning and went out of his way to save him from being punished when he totally could have just left him behind. It's something that I think even Luke or any respectful Jedi would do if they were in the same position.

That said, I have wondered that if Jar Jar would have been seen as less annoying if he could have been the comic relief character but with a different backstory. A long time ago I had an idea that what if instead of being banished for being clumsy, Jar Jar was banished because he was a petty thief and the reason he got kicked out was because he got caught stealing from Boss Nass or something and so he's more of a tricky thief character instead of a goofball getting himself into trouble. Nothing too serious but just enough that way he could have still been a comedic relief character while having something of an arc where he reforms himself by helping Qui-Gon and the others throughout their journey.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

For the choreography yeah, it was really cool seeing them fight the way they did and I never really got the complaints about them, especially since I feel like people singled out the prequels as opposed to The Matrix or pretty much any other movie that had a lot of choreography at the time and it didn't make sense to me. There is this moment in the Maul and Obi-Wan fight that has always stuck with me because of how fluid it looks and the specific sounds to match it. I don't really know how to describe it other than it's like hearing the perfect beat to a song that you don't forget and it's just so crispy.

I guessed exactly which sequence you were talking about before I clicked that link! What a scene. In my opinion, out of all the movies The Phantom Menace has the best lightsaber duel in that final battle scene. I’ll never forget seeing that one for the first time. I mean, just try to imagine, I’d watched the original trilogy a hundred times before seeing TPM and thought the lightsaber fights were awesome in those films, then all of a sudden I’m in theatres watching that insanely well choreographed 3-way duel on the big screen. I was floored.

Of course I have lots of respect for the lightsaber duels in those previous movies as they do many things so well. They have the suspenseful build ups, the big, shocking moments, and the raw emotion between the characters that is displayed so well (particularly between Luke and Vader). But they just don’t compare in the way they’re choreographed, the athleticism and skill of the actors on display and the way they move through the environment as they fight. They really dialled it up a notch in TPM which is a big reason why that movie appealed so much to me.

There’s some pretty cool fights in Episode 2 & 3 as well, but tbh I’m not as fond of them as they started to use a lot more CGI in an attempt to dial up the epicness (ie. Yoda, General Grievous etc.) I much prefer the practical effects & skill of the actors.

25 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

That said, I have wondered that if Jar Jar would have been seen as less annoying if he could have been the comic relief character but with a different backstory. A long time ago I had an idea that what if instead of being banished for being clumsy, Jar Jar was banished because he was a petty thief and the reason he got kicked out was because he got caught stealing from Boss Nass or something and so he's more of a tricky thief character instead of a goofball getting himself into trouble. Nothing too serious but just enough that way he could have still been a comedic relief character while having something of an arc where he reforms himself by helping Qui-Gon and the others throughout their journey.

Yeah that’s an interesting idea, and I like it because he could actually bring something useful to the team, some kind of knowledge or a skill, something to do with his sticky fingers. I guess Jar Jar is supposed to be the “lovable idiot” sidekick stereotype, but unfortunately he comes across as more of an idiot than anything else, and with his incessant blabbing it’s no wonder people hate him so much. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Murder Mystery 2

Typically I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler's Netflix movies, but the two Murder Mystery films I actually enjoyed. I think the first is better but 2 is a decent enough sequel.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, OmriStyle27 said:

p13308_p_v8_ag.jpg

Terminator 2: Judgment day

Man , i don't know why i've watch this movie only now , it's so damn good.

i'm currently trying to watch all the terminator movies (never watch them before) and terminator 1 was good ,

but terminator 2 is a masterpiece.

Highly recommend this one , also arnold schwarzenegger is so fit for the part of the terminator lol

its like he was born to play it.

Better late than never. T2 has been one of my favourite movies for as long as I can remember. The rest aren’t as good as this but they’re still awesome, so enjoy.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Feral said:

Better late than never. T2 has been one of my favourite movies for as long as I can remember. The rest aren’t as good as this but they’re still awesome, so enjoy.

Thanks man , yeah i have a feeling that the rest won't be as good because T2 set the bar pretty high , but still enjoyable movies to watch nonetheless i'm sure.

too bad there aren't any good terminator games to play (at least from what i've heard).

• Like 2

The 1939 Wuthering Heights. I've been meaning to watch it for years, and I finally checked it out from the library. It's really good if you like classic literature and old movies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OmriStyle27 said:

Thanks man , yeah i have a feeling that the rest won't be as good because T2 set the bar pretty high , but still enjoyable movies to watch nonetheless i'm sure.

too bad there aren't any good terminator games to play (at least from what i've heard).

You know - there isn't any great ones, but actually, that recent Terminator Resistance game isn't too bad. 

It's not like, revelatory or amazing or anything, but it's actually more solid and fun than one might expect - and strangely, it does actually give a kinda cool possible explanation for one particular mystery that was never answered from the T2 movie!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - there isn't any great ones, but actually, that recent Terminator Resistance game isn't too bad. 

It's not like, revelatory or amazing or anything, but it's actually more solid and fun than one might expect - and strangely, it does actually give a kinda cool possible explanation for one particular mystery that was never answered from the T2 movie!

Thanks for the recommendation , i've just checked the PSN Store and currently this game cost 50$ , which is a bit too expensive for me to spend on a "Isn't too bad" terminator game , but will definitely wait for a sale and give it a go.

also saw Terminator: Survivors just announced , hope that will be good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OmriStyle27 said:

Thanks for the recommendation , i've just checked the PSN Store and currently this game cost 50$ , which is a bit too expensive for me to spend on a "Isn't too bad" terminator game , but will definitely wait for a sale and give it a go.

Oh - crikey - yeah, good call - definitely don't pay that kind of money for it!

It's decent enough, but nowhere near that level.

If it hits a decent sale though, you can certainly do a lot worse, and as Terminator fan, it's got some of the good stuff in there for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OmriStyle27 said:

Oh yeah, they’re good movies especially 3. Which has some brilliant Arnie moments that my brother and I still bring up to each other.

The Terminator 3 game on PS2 was alright, just hard from what I remember. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChilledBrandon said:

spacer.png

GoldenEye (1995)

Top 3 Bond film for me, it's so good and has aged wonderfully. Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan made for an awesome villain too.

My first Bond movie and coincidentally one of the first games I played in regards to the N64 tie-in. It's probably nostalgia but I have a soft spot for the Pierce Brosnan ones apart from Die Another Day that I just couldn't really get into but maybe I could give it a try again.

Another thing is that ever since it was pointed out, I can't help but see James having a wide grin with the way his hand is positioned next to his mouth and now it just looks like he has one side of his mouth that's really wide for some reason.

• Like 1