The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

20 hours ago, TheDarkKratos said:

Darkman (1990)

Dr. Peyton Westlake is on the verge of realizing a major breakthrough in synthetic skin when his laboratory is destroyed by gangsters. Having been burned beyond recognition and forever altered by an experimental medical procedure, Westlake becomes known as Darkman, assuming alternate identities in his quest for revenge and a new life with a former love. But when thugs employed by a crime boss lead a vicious assault on Dr. Peyton Wilder (Liam Neeson), leaving him literally and psychologically scarred, an emergency procedure allows him to survive. Upon his recovery, Wilder can find solace only by returning to his scientific work developing synthetic skin, and seeking revenge against the crime boss. He assumes a phantom avenger persona called Darkman, who, with malleable facial qualities, is able to infiltrate and sow terror in the criminal community.

darkman-2020-fan-casting-poster-207046-m

I should watch this again since it's been a while since I've seen it. The part that has stuck with me the most is the carnival scene where Liam Neeson breaks that one guy's fingers and says "Take the fucking elephant!" because of how insane the scene gets. Sam Raimi is just really good at doing scenes like that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I should watch this again since it's been a while since I've seen it. The part that has stuck with me the most is the carnival scene where Liam Neeson breaks that one guy's fingers and says "Take the fucking elephant!" because of how insane the scene gets. Sam Raimi is just really good at doing scenes like that.

Hey. Yes, it was quite random that I saw it. But I had also seen it many years ago. I quite enjoyed it. Haven't seen the sequels. Dunno if they are even worth watching TBPH. Yes!. The carnival scenes and the toy elephant also stuck in my mind for the longest time. Totally badass. Agreed. Raimi is amazing with scenes like that. Liam Neeson is so young too. The only other older movie I saw him in was John Boorman's Excalibur. Which is an 80's movie I think. Yes, give it another watch. 

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkKratos said:

Hey. Yes, it was quite random that I saw it. But I had also seen it many years ago. I quite enjoyed it. Haven't seen the sequels. Dunno if they are even worth watching TBPH. Yes!. The carnival scenes and the toy elephant also stuck in my mind for the longest time. Totally badass. Agreed. Raimi is amazing with scenes like that. Liam Neeson is so young too. The only other older movie I saw him in was John Boorman's Excalibur. Which is an 80's movie I think. Yes, give it another watch. 

Yeah as far as the sequels go I haven't really heard much about them. I'm not sure what the full story is behind them but for whatever reason Raimi didn't direct them and Darkman is played by a different actor so I guess Raimi and Liam Neeson only opted to do one movie. I'm sure they are okay at least but I imagine they don't have the same charm. I remember seeing Excalibur a while back and recently I caught something else he was in that I forget the name of but I'm pretty sure it was also another medieval thing. It may have been Kingdom of Heaven.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Yeah as far as the sequels go I haven't really heard much about them. I'm not sure what the full story is behind them but for whatever reason Raimi didn't direct them and Darkman is played by a different actor so I guess Raimi and Liam Neeson only opted to do one movie. I'm sure they are okay at least but I imagine they don't have the same charm. I remember seeing Excalibur a while back and recently I caught something else he was in that I forget the name of but I'm pretty sure it was also another medieval thing. It may have been Kingdom of Heaven.

I think the original is the best in this case. Even though I haven't seen any of the sequels. And as you say Raimi and Neeson were not involved. They might be ok, so if I get the opportunity to view them, I will. Did you know that John Boorman's real daughter was in Excalibur? She played Egraine. As for Kingdom of Heaven, Yes, Neeson was in that. I have the extended deluxe edition on DVD. I highly recommend it if you're into these ancient epic flicks. The longer version really does add more dimension to this movie. Speaking of KOH, There's only 2 roles that come to mind that I think Orlando Bloom is excellent in - LOTR AND KOF. And Carnival. I couldn't stand him in TROY, another movie where the director's extended cut is IMHO far superior. He's such a wimp. But Bloom has some really great moments in battle sequences in KOH. Also interesting to note is that the KOH film boasts one of the best trailers I have ever seen. I just love it. Also, Ed Norton was the king in the mask who suffered from leprosy. I only discovered that fact after my 3rd viewing of the film.

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDarkKratos said:

I think the original is the best in this case. Even though I haven't seen any of the sequels. And as you say Raimi and Neeson were not involved. They might be ok, so if I get the opportunity to view them, I will. Did you know that John Boorman's real daughter was in Excalibur? She played Egraine. As for Kingdom of Heaven, Yes, Neeson was in that. I have the extended deluxe edition on DVD. I highly recommend it if you're into these ancient epic flicks. The longer version really does add more dimension to this movie. Speaking of KOH, There's only 2 roles that come to mind that I think Orlando Bloom is excellent in - LOTR AND KOF. And Carnival. I couldn't stand him in TROY, another movie where the director's extended cut is IMHO far superior. He's such a wimp. But Bloom has some really great moments in battle sequences in KOH. Also interesting to note is that the KOH film boasts one of the best trailers I have ever seen. I just love it. Also, Ed Norton was the king in the mask who suffered from leprosy. I only discovered that fact after my 3rd viewing of the film.

I don't know very much about John Boorman but I guess having his daughter play a character wouldn't be too unheard of with some movies. I will have to see about actually watching Kingdom of Heaven and Troy at some point. I have actually meant to with Troy for a while but I think kept getting put off by the length of it although sometimes I will watch two movies in one night if I'm feeling up for it so that shouldn't be an issue. I will also keep Carnival in mind. It is kind of funny seeing Orlando Bloom in other stuff since I'm so used to seeing him as Legolas or Will Turner :P

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I don't know very much about John Boorman but I guess having his daughter play a character wouldn't be too unheard of with some movies. 

She was raped early in the movie. That's why I mentioned it.

I think back then it wouldn't have been common-place to be a director of a film, and have your own daughter in s sex/rape scene.

But that's just me. 

Watched Leo on Netflix. That Adam Sandler movie bout the talking iguana. I got most of the way through it before I decided enough was enough. Its very mediocre and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Not gonna bother with a pic cause even that is too much effort for this film.

• Like 3

stowaway-poster.jpeg

Third time's the charm with Netflix in space? (Previously: Cloverfield Paradox and Another Life)

No.

What is it with Netflix and completely dropping the ball the moment any movie or series  goes to space? I know they have plenty bad movies and shows, but somehow they manage to be at their worst when leaving Earth. Once more, some cool hard sci-fi concepts are marred by a completely nonsensical plot driven by idiotic decisions.

Spoiler

And the weird obsession of Netflix productions with self-harm/sacrifice. Am I the only one noticing how heavily Netflix romanticizes offing oneself?

Edited by shadaik
  • Like 3

The First Omen

spacer.png

Very Good! This is a prequel to "The Omen". This movie surprise me 🫨! LIKE ITS JUST GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!  The creepy score by Mark Korven, the visuals 🔥 of course after checking IMDB, the Cinematographer was Aaron Morton who did Rings of Power TV (2022) and Evil Dead (2013). 

Edited by Night-Shades13
  • Like 4

Next Goal Wins - After Thor 4 I thought Taika Waititi had lost his mojo, but despite having middling reviews, I thought this was back to form from him. An almost perfect blend of humour, empathy and drama. His cameo should have been left on the cutting room floor though. 

• Like 3

Past week watches. I watched the new TMNT movie recently and really liked it, it got me craving more superhero movies so decided to give some other Animated ones a try. Went with DC's Animated Universe, haven't watched something like this since I was a kid. Surprised how much I'm actually enjoying them, sat in front of my TV like a kid watching them lol. 

Be definitely watching more Animated movies, added loads to my watchlist, also added some Anime, don't think I've watched Anime. First one I will try is one called Akira, one of Keanu Reeves favourites apparently. 

spacer.png

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 4

On 4/8/2024 at 9:12 AM, GUDGER666 said:

Past week watches. I watched the new TMNT movie recently and really liked it, it got me craving more superhero movies so decided to give some other Animated ones a try. Went with DC's Animated Universe, haven't watched something like this since I was a kid. Surprised how much I'm actually enjoying them, sat in front of my TV like a kid watching them lol. 

Be definitely watching more Animated movies, added loads to my watchlist, also added some Anime, don't think I've watched Anime. First one I will try is one called Akira, one of Keanu Reeves favourites apparently. 

spacer.png

If you liked those animated DC films then definitely give Batman: Mask of the Phantasm a watch. All-Star Superman and Superman vs. The Elite are really good too.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 2