When will you stop playing PS3?

MidnightDragon

On 18/02/2018 at 7:56 AM, Cleggworth said:

I have a list of about 15 games I still plan to play I'm just not sure when yet. After that who knows? I'm always open to firing up the old girl. I doubt I'll ever decommission her completely

I've played 78 PS3 games since this post ? mixture of previously started and new. I'm behind with the PS4 , if I carry on with the 3 I'll be behind on the 5 then the 6. I've played what I want to play, I'm happy to move on.

I put it in storage though so.... I'd have gotten rid if I really meant never wouldn't I? ?‍♂️

On 10/27/2020 at 0:32 PM, Eraezr said:

Has anyone been able to access the PS Store on their console since the supposed closure? I assumed it only applied to web browsers and not the in-console store app.

I am having the same issue, the PS3 store constantly says it's in maintenance mode (PS4 and Vita are fine though).

A kind user on here, SnowxSakura suggested deleting the store on the PS3 by pressing triangle and then reinstalling it.

I haven't tried this yet but I'll put it on my to-do list for today and report back later. 

Decided to go through and count how many games I have left in my backlog for my PS3s. Most are PS1/PS2 games, and currently the PS3 games do take priority (cause trophy syncing and cloud saves), but I have been slowly getting through some of the PS1 and PS2 games as well.

23 PS1 games

3 PS2 games

13 PS3 games

And on my PS3 with my American account (yes I have a separate PS3 for it, because my main PS3 only has like 12gb free of the 500gb HDD so didn't have much of a choice unless I upgraded the HDD, which I've always been too lazy to do):

16 PS1 games

13 PS2 games

So 68 games total. I know I could potentially speed it up by playing some of those PS1 games on emulator on my phone with its ipega controller while I'm out/at work but... I much prefer just playing on official hardware, unless the game is insanely annoying without fast forward/save states.

I'm pretty sure I said I think it'll take me another 3 years to clear my PS3 backlog before. I still stand by that, for my main PS3 at least. The PS3 with just American exclusive PS1/PS2 games is probably gonna take about 2-3 years as well on its own, most of them are long-ass JRPGs. So I guess I'll stop playing the PS3 by 2025-2026 or so if my estimates turn out to be correct. Just in time for the PS6... I don't even want to know how many PS4 games I have in my backlog, it was something like 200 last I counted, last year...

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 0:32 PM, Eraezr said:

Has anyone been able to access the PS Store on their console since the supposed closure? I assumed it only applied to web browsers and not the in-console store app.

As promised, I (eventually) managed to find five minutes to follow the advice SnowxSakura kindly gave me.

Go to the PS3 Store icon/picture, press triangle, delete Store, click on Store with X, reinstall Store (48mb for me) - it works!

I live in France at the moment and we now have another month of lockdown to look forward to. It's pissing down with rain every day and I can walk a massive 1km from my house now. Cheers Macron. Thank God lockdown starts Friday as that would have been my birthday buggered.

Thank goodness I have a lot of work on and a PS3, PS4, PS Vita and the backlog to end all backlogs. I'm calling it now, lockdown here ends mid-January.

Can we just pretend 2020 never happened?

7 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm pretty sure I said I think it'll take me another 3 years to clear my PS3 backlog before. I still stand by that, for my main PS3 at least. The PS3 with just American exclusive PS1/PS2 games is probably gonna take about 2-3 years as well on its own, most of them are long-ass JRPGs. So I guess I'll stop playing the PS3 by 2025-2026 or so if my estimates turn out to be correct. Just in time for the PS6... I don't even want to know how many PS4 games I have in my backlog, it was something like 200 last I counted, last year...

OK, I take back my comment, above.

You have the backlog to end all backlogs. Yikes.

Edited by baboon_overlord

9 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

OK, I take back my comment, above.

You have the backlog to end all backlogs. Yikes.

Oh it gets worse. I use HLTB to track my backlog, and according to that I have 1165 games in my backlog total. Not sure how accurate that is, as I think I may have some duplicates on there for games I've since gotten for newer systems (e.g. had Resonance of Fate on PS3 for ages, never got around to playing it, then got the PS4 version later when that released), but it's still insanely high and I know I'll never complete it, especially since the number tends to go up rather than down.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Oh it gets worse. I use HLTB to track my backlog, and according to that I have 1165 games in my backlog total. Not sure how accurate that is, as I think I may have some duplicates on there for games I've since gotten for newer systems (e.g. had Resonance of Fate on PS3 for ages, never got around to playing it, then got the PS4 version later when that released), but it's still insanely high and I know I'll never complete it, especially since the number tends to go up rather than down.

Impressive. I've been gaming since 1988 - my first platform was the Amiga 500. I would guess that it's highly unlikely I have played 1,000 games in total over the years. Good luck with your quest. :) 

When PS4/PS5 finally remasters all of Sucker Punch's games with Sly Cooper and inFAMOUS, and also find some solution for PS1 backwards compatibility. Otherwise I have very little purpose considering PS Now can catch me up on what I missed a great deal on its own, but leaves so little behind I have to scrounge through.

I have put it aside recently but I'm already itching to play some of my games and I have two new ones coming from ebay. One of them is Max Payne 3, I have it on PC but I can't climb over that DRM mountain that Rockstar built. I managed it with GTAV but with MP3 I said *beep* it and order the PS3 version.

3 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

Impressive. I've been gaming since 1988 - my first platform was the Amiga 500. I would guess that it's highly unlikely I have played 1,000 games in total over the years. Good luck with your quest. :) 

I've been gaming since about 1998-1999. I still have backlogs for my PS1 and PS2 as well (not counting the emulated games on PS3). I think the only console I've ever completely cleared my backlog for is the N64, lol.

There's just too many games and not enough time to play them all sadly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toast_On_Cheese said:

Something about the PS3 was just so much better than the PS4 for me.

I totally agree.

I'll stop playing online when the servers die and then I'll have the space to work on my mountain of offline games/trophies.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I still have the urge to despite not touching the system ever since I started playing my ps4. I still feel like I haven't truly began to dive into its catalog and experience games like Alice: Madness returns and Shadows of the damn among others. 

• 2 years later...

I always said when mine dies. But it died and I went and got another. When I finish my backlog for it, I'll probably use it less. But I doubt I'll stop using it completely. The only thing that would stop me, is if this one died and the retro community started demanding too much for them. But when that happens, I'll be able to turn to emulation