When will you stop playing PS3?

MidnightDragon

On 2/20/2018 at 9:42 AM, DizzyDavidson said:

I'll stop playing when I run out of PS3 games and PS+ no longer offers PS3 titles.

Well PS3 games are no longer included with PS+ and I'm down to about 30-35 games, so it still has a few good years in it. :D 

• Like 1

I just played Rainbow Moon entirely on my PS3 only a few months ago. I still have about 4 or 5 games left in my backlog that I’m slowly working my way through. Mostly PS+ freebies, JRPGs, and other games that I picked up years ago during sales. Once I clear them all out, I’ll likely retire my PS3 to storage.

I got rid of my PS3, bought a used one two years ago, got rid of it... and then my dad found a used PS3 at an estate sale for $35 and purchased it, so now I've back on the device again. (Well, I have to link my account to it, still, but...)

My dad said I should just get another PS1 and PS2 and then have the collection, but I said nope. After all, since trophy hunting is a thing, Playstation consoles are just like something ELSE starting with P...

so-im-fairly-new-to-the-persona-series-w

Once you get into the third iternation, you can't go back to the first two. :lol:

Edited by ProfSeajay7

It's already been said earlier but I'll also stop playing on PS3 the day my favourite games will be fully ported on PS5.

And when I say fully, I mean fully. 

Let's talk about Modern Warfare 2 (originally came out in 2009 on PS3), which has been remastered and thus, playable on PS4/PS5. Much to my disappointment, you only get to play the single-player Campaign while the best parts (Multiplayer and Spec Ops) have been purely and entirely removed. Worthless. 

Same for Far Cry 3: the original game on PS3 includes a coop mode and a multiplayer: both removed as well... 

The irony here is that these remastered versions are inferior to their original counterparts, it's a fact. How about LittleBigPlanet 2 (my favourite game overall)? You can play it on PS3 only, same for the original Killzone trilogy. 

On the other hand, let's take a look at Burnout Paradise Remastered. This version includes all the original DLC and a multiplayer mode, same as it was 15 years ago. But for now, too many of my favourite games aren't available on PS4/PS5 so, I'll stick with my old console for many years. 

• Like 2

I'll continue playing PS3 as long as I have access to a working console. I've got a pretty substantial backlog I'm slowly, but surely making progress on. Most recently, I've cleaned up and finished a few Assassins Creed titles, L.A. Noire, Red Dead Redemption and Killzone 2 and 3. I'd also like to get through as much story related DLC content that I can as long as it's worth while. I find that most PS3 games still hold up surprisingly well. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 2:37 AM, MidnightDragon said:

For those of you who still play your PS3, when do you think you’ll stop doing so? It's still going to be a long while for me. 

I quit PS3 last December as I'm winding down my console activities in order to go full PC. 

Is the removal of trophy syncing something that may happen in the near future? I don’t know if there’s any way of figuring that out for sure but as someone who loves his PS3 I sure hope not.

1 hour ago, Nekket_ said:

Is the removal of trophy syncing something that may happen in the near future? I don’t know if there’s any way of figuring that out for sure but as someone who loves his PS3 I sure hope not.

No. Sony just released their regular BluRay key update, meaning they’re expecting their consoles to be connected to PSN for a long time. There is nothing but people’s paranoia that indicates there will be any change to trophy syncing for any foreseeable future. 

Then there’s the completely useless and lame responses “it will happen eventually…” Yes, like the heat death of the universe, it will happen eventually. 

• Like 2

5 years ago is what I told myself.  Just finished RDR online a few weeks ago.  Will probably go back through a few misc games for trophy hunting.  For some reason the PS3 is the system I just can't quit.

• Like 1

I will never be done with my ps3 games, i can spend the rest of my life playing ps3 games without the need of ps4 and ps5, it's because of trophies that make the game's life 100x longer.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 11:11 AM, DaivRules said:

Then there’s the completely useless and lame responses “it will happen eventually…

True.. people worry a lot about things that won't bother them for decades, like the heat death of the universe you mentioned.

The day Sony closes the store and even trophy syncing in the next decade they will be in their right to do so; how long do people expect consoles to keep working? Phones literally last a few years, and lose support after maybe 5 to 7 years.

Consoles are one of the technological products that last the longest, we have nothing to critizice about it. Like, imagine paying 1400$ every year for a new console.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeanolt said:

True.. people worry a lot about things that won't bother them for decades, like the heat death of the universe you mentioned.

The day Sony closes the store and even trophy syncing in the next decade they will be in their right to do so; how long do people expect consoles to keep working? Phones literally last a few years, and lose support after maybe 5 to 7 years.

Consoles are one of the technological products that last the longest, we have nothing to critizice about it. Like, imagine paying 1400$ every year for a new console.

Yeah, even if trophy syncing from PS3 was taken down, I can assure you some modding communities would do their best to create their own proxy way to keep that, and Sony wouldn’t mind it much.

Heck, they still don’t care how modding pretty much changed the whole community of Vita.

Edited by Crono
  • Like 2

I am glad I found this thread. I booted up one of my PS3's today for the first time in 2 years. Before that it was 3 years.

Reason is a good buddy of mine needs a partner in FC4. But the great thing about this is I finally got off my lazy ass. Lol

I forgot how much slower the console's hardware is compared to the PS5, but I love my PS3's. Must get some games done.

Also, Life Is Strange I have to finish episode 4 and 5. I'm so lazy. But of the 745 digital purchases I have, there's lots to play.

As for the OP's original question - answer is - a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I have about 60+ games on retail disc. Many I bought new at crazy cheap prices too. One was The Saboteur. I want to play.

Edited by TheDarkKratos

Once my Premium Plus runs out I will be going back to PS3 for a bit and I can't wait. Absolutely love PS3, it's the place I get the most enjoyment when gaming. I love been able to play any game and 9/10 times it only has a tiny update and I'm playing within 1-2min. It's also nice knowing the majority of the games aren't a broken mess like today's games. 

And the trophy ping, by far the best imo, and you can clearly hear it. 

Also as a PS4 Pro owner knowing I can play any game in silence is a great feeling lol. I have to Super Slims I mainly use and even when they are both running I can barely hear them.